UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Exclusive Hulk/Iron Man minimates

Valo487

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new one. The bicep covers make a big difference. Plus the color scheme is accurate, I only want to see shiny armor on newer Iron Man models.

Technically the old one is the accurate Hulkbuster though. This is Adi Granov's armor design, not the original, so the shiny paint makes sense. Really, the new one is wrong.

However, i LOVE the new one. The bicep covers and the matte paint do a lot for this sculpt. If i had one complaint, it'd be the unpainted eyes, but that'll be an easy fix in-person.

I'm not sure about the omcics, but the ToyBiz ML figure had a tony head underneath, rather than another IM mask:

lbf-iron-man-hulkbuster-marvel-legends_M

I think some white/light blue on the eyes and a paint wash will really make this new Hulkbuster pop.

They were identified as " Hulk buster modules" for the modular armor

During the crash and burn storyline. had to look that one up

I like the new one. The bicep covers make a big difference. Plus the color scheme is accurate, I only want to see shiny armor on newer Iron Man models.

Technically the old one is the accurate Hulkbuster though. This is Adi Granov's armor design, not the original, so the shiny paint makes sense. Really, the new one is wrong.

However, i LOVE the new one. The bicep covers and the matte paint do a lot for this sculpt. If i had one complaint, it'd be the unpainted eyes, but that'll be an easy fix in-person.

Not sure I follow. Adi Granov didn't design the Hulk Buster, either one. Kevin Hopgood designed the first and JRJR designed the second. What I meant by color scheme is that I like the new exclusive mate better because it matches the flat coloring technology of 1994 when the armor was seen. Kind of like how FA Deadpool used greys instead of black.

Edited by bigvis497

I got mine today, I’m a little disappointed most of the Hulkbuster/Hulk in Armor’s Gloves lack paint detail... given these are all existing tooling and cost MORE then an average set (with practically none of that cost going towards packaging) it seems inexcusable. I’m sure there’s some logical answer, like they’re produced in a much smaller number or something, but still it’s disappointing there’s HUGE chunks of red plastic going on.

(and I’m nitpicking, they’re still pretty great and I’m always excited for a new ironman-mask-on-actual-face-block piece, I do like them especially the Tony Stark head, it’s fun.)

JRJR's long run on Spider-man is awesome; he was THE spider artist for a very long time and I enjoyed it.

He's experimented with his art of late, and I've found the change to not always be to my taste. But I don't fault him for the Captain America NOW suit; I think that is more to do with editorial mandate it conform more closely to the movie suit. I don't like it, but can get over it to enjoy the story.

JRJR, much like Walt Simonson, has passed his prime, and his artwork as-of-late isn't really able to stand up under the modern coloring & printing process... that being said, there is still something to say for people who like his artwork. Like humor or music, artwork is very subjective, and one opinion doesn't negate another. And as an artist, I can find things worth admiring about his skill and natural ability (things that I personally could learn a lot from) ... but I still cringe every time I have to look at his work =P

To bring this slightly back on topic, I'm really glad that DST picked the Granov armor. I think the JRJR design works well from a purely technical standpoint (it looks structurally solid enough to stand up under a beating from Hulk, at least more effectively than the others), but the aesthetic value seems far less appealing. I'm sure it would look great as a Minimate, but not as cool as the one we have. Although, as popular as Iron Man is from a sales standpoint, it wouldn't surprise me if we do eventually get that model as a Minimate...

The make or break thing for me when it comes the JRJR is his inker. His sketchy style with a sketchy inker, like Klaus Jansen, is a horrible, boxy, scratchy mess (See: NOW! Captain America, WWH, 90s X-Men). But when he's with a tight inker like Scott Hana, his stuff looks amazing (See: JMS Amazing Spider-Man).

That said, his design work is very lacking and that new Hulk-Buster is ugly as sin.