UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Huge Surprise planned for ToyFair 2011 - What is it?

ToyFair 2011 Huge Surprise  

61 members have voted

1. 1. So what will be the minimate related surprise?

• DC
    • Disney (including PotC, Muppets, etc)
    • Video Game lines
    • Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
    • Old Movies (like Godfather, Western Trilogy, etc)
    • New Movies (Cowboys and Aliens, etc)
    • Cartoon Shows (Thundercats, Smurfs, etc)
    • Star Wars
    • Sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, WWE)
    • Large Size Minimates
    • New Comic Book lines (not Marvel or DC)
    • James Bond
    • New M.A.X. line
    • TV Show (Buffy, X-Files, Golden Girls, etc)
    • Food related line
    • Something totally different

It's the Smurfs, based on the upcoming live-action movie!

Ok, but seriously, what do you guys think it is?

From DST's 116th Q&A, we'll see a huge minimate related surprise. What could it be?

The long planned Dr Who line? A return of Street Fighter? What would constitute a "huge surprise"?

You couldn't get a bigger surprise than Star Wars, especially with the Blu-Ray release coming this year. As much as I would kill for SW, I don't want to get my hopes up. But, you know DST keeps asking for the license for SW & Indiana Jones, so hopefully some day!

What else is left that could be a huge surprise??

Maybe Aliens & Predator? Could work similar to GB's release formula

GI Joe? That would be cool.

LOTR reboot? Start now then segue into The Hobbit near movie release time?

Do you think it will be a line we've asked for, or a "didn't expect that" line?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC?

EDIT:

Seriously though, what toy company does not say "huge surprise" for every toy line at these big shows.

Anyway, honest guess... Battle Beasts is picked up by Toys'r'us, so watch out....

Edited by pickle

God I'd love a return of the Lord of the Rings. Honestly it may just be something simple like Pickle's guess. I sure as hell hope it's not. I want big to mean BIG. Let's see some Middle Earth, galaxy far far away, or MORTAL KOMBATTTTT!

Or, yaknow, more of the same. Plus Kang.

Edited by Trekker 42

Disney 'mates makes the most sense to me. My first guess/hope was Nintendo, but that would be too good to be true (as would the return of DC mates) ... the more I think about it, the more I think that Disney is the most likely big announcement they've got coming up.

Though, instead of waves of randomly picked characters, I'm thinking they'll probably do boxed sets with 4 characters per movie.

I wouldn't be very excited about a Disney announcement, because they would need to be heavily sculpted to work. And at that point, they might as well not be Minimates IMO. The Kubricks satisfy my Disney block figure needs.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'll go with MGM movie all star 2 and 4 packs.

Edited by karamazov80

The end of the Marvel license ? :(

The only surprise licenses that I would consider huge would be Who,DC or Toy Story.

Toy Story is my high hope ,purely because it will cement the Disney franchise.

DC will happen,it's common sense & eventually somebody will bury his ego & make this happen.

Who ? ........oh dear my alarm clock just went off <_<

I hate to get hopes up since BIG could mean "a multi colored Halo vehicle".. but for me, big would be DW, DC, or Free Minimates for life shipped to all members of this board.

Probably have a better chance of that last one happening.. over the first two..

:)

I'm guessing it is either going to be more Battle Beasts, or a completely new announcement.

DC is highly possible, especially since we know DST wants them back and DC leadership has been shaken up.

I don't see Marvel ending anytime soon, but if it were to end, I'd like to see it make at least Series 50, which isn't too far away.

BSG is done, Star Trek isn't likely (no new movie to promote at the moment, not that they make mates from the relaunch), The Hobbit films are just starting to get produced, so too early for this announcement.

I would like to see the announcement of more movie licenses.

Hopefully it's DC but I'm not getting my hopes up. I do the dance of joy if it was DC and I wouldn't have to deal with Mattel and their overpriced/poor QC figures in order to get my DC fix.

I would be very happy if it was Predator/Aliens/Robocop but I remember Chuck saying that Predators was almost a go and then things ended badly so that probably eliminates Predator/Aliens. Is Robocop enough for HUGE news? Probably not.

I'm guessing it's either Disney (which could possibly include Muppets since they are owned by Disney), Nintendo (which seems to only give out their licenses for toys/collectibles to small companies) or Indiana Jones (no way it's Star Wars, the market is already flooded).

Here are my guesses, in reverse order of IMHO potential hugeness:

5. WWE. I think people underrate the potential for WWE 'mates; they've got an endless array of characters, lots of different costume variations to make, but would require a relatively small amount of new parts. Plus, it's a proven huge toy license.

4. Disney. Best way to make Minimates a major player in the kid's toy market. And I might get my Rocketeer.

3. GI Joe. Since Hasbro is licensing them to Sideshow, why not DST? Combat Heroes were a dud, so maybe they want to try a proven winner at this scale.

2. DC. Bigger then GI Joe only because of the bitter feelings, and because I like DC better then GI Joe.

1. Star Wars. The granddaddy of huge.

Now, I don't think any of these is likely, but that's what I'd consider huge. You watch: Chuck's gonna announce that Heroes Minimates are back on. ;)

Maybe it's the return of the Kelloggs minimates!

I didn't mention DC because I didn't want to get my own hopes up. I want DC minimates to continue soooo badly!

And I was the one that asked the Disney mates question in the last ask DST, and they seemed to sidestep it a bit! I would buy them all! Maybe they would be better with sculpted heads? But maybe they would stick to the standard mate head so they could make more profit?

So, if it were Disney, do you think we'd get Pirates of the Carribean mates the same year as Calico Jack??

Maybe we will see the return of DC minimates with the Green Lantern Movie? Would love the big surprise to be the return of Star Trek mates, but I could live with Green Lantern movie mates and then follow those with DC mates coming back.

I dream, but that is what I would be surprised by.

GI Joe mate would be cool as well. But I doubt we ever see Star Wars mates.

My bad. I could swear I saw Battle Beasts in that new TRU SKU dump we saw a few weeks back.

there might have been Battle Beasts in there but generally the reveals at Toy Fair tend to be stuff that is not already in the systems like that....battle beasts wouldnt be the big surprise since we already know DST is doing them and is not rushing them....I think this will be something new

and in all honesty as much as I would love to get certain DC minimates I am kinda hoping that they are not it

Jeff of the Miniacs