UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 85: Spidey 2010s


Trekker 42

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Miguel looks great. Huge improvement over both previous incarnations. arm spikes AND that web cape that is on the ground in front of the figures for some reason. I am not there, so I can't fix it, but I'm hoping it'll be in the pics next month in Previews. Miles is to the left, obviously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nandoninny said:

b) what's the figure to the far left of this picture?  looks like another minimate

That would be Miles Morales Spider-Man. Apologies for the pic cutting him off. I wasn't actually there IRL, and this was shared with me by someone who was actually getting a photo of Archangel.

Edited by Nessex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Hey, Miguel looks great. Huge improvement over both previous incarnations. arm spikes AND that web cape that is on the ground in front of the figures for some reason. I am not there, so I can't fix it, but I'm hoping it'll be in the pics next month in Previews. Miles is to the left, obviously. 

Hope you feel better soon, man!  It wasn't the same watching Pixel Dan at the booth without your there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t help but feel disappointed by this, it’s such a weird thing. On one hand, this is an opportunity to have Spider-Man and his friends on shelves again. On the other hand, it’s 100% characters that have (arguably) been done better elsewhere - I’m looking at you, Ben. On the other *other* hand, it’s clear this was made to piggyback on the Spider-verse movies with the character selection but it’s not the spider-verse designs so you lose that market. 
 

If DST wanted to do a Spider-Verse box set, they should have gone all in. Swap Ben for Hobie, make a jacked AF Miguel, bathrobes Peter with his kid as an accessory would be so cute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nessex said:

That would be Miles Morales Spider-Man. Apologies for the pic cutting him off. I wasn't actually there IRL, and this was shared with me by someone who was actually getting a photo of Archangel.

No need to apologize!  Tell your friend thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's Miles better:)  

I guess I have to concede that this choice of characters is necessary if the line is going to grab potential new fans .

As an old fan who has several Miles' ,Ben Reilly's , 2099s ,Spider-Gwens  I can see very little to get my juices flowing . The Spider-Man might be the sleeper of the bunch , I really mean that !  There are soooooooo many Spider-Man versions that IMHO just fail to be 'spot on' & ,for me, it is always the 'eyes' that let them down ........this looks good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do wish we could have had a villain in this set, as we’ve been low on villains recently (IIRC Doom is the only villain in the Marvel sets). But, I think this set looks great. Ben Reilly from wave 24 is probably THE Ben Reilly minimate for a lot of people, but for those who missed him, he’s quite expensive on the secondary market. I really like the Animated Miguel, but the web cape and arm spikes look like a nice upgrade. And, of course, I needs me a Spider-Ham! So, I’m on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a long time collector, I’m annoyed but agree from the brand health perspective, we haven’t had a Spider-Man Wave since 2020 and this should do well for newer fans especially with the movie streaming etc. I just don’t see a need to buy multiples of this set which I typically do. 
 

They are pretty. I just don’t see this set as something for me. I wish we were getting Marvel mates every quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little disappointed by the lack of leg printing on these figures (yes I know spidey has his leg designs but even then he would usually have some musculature printing as well), I know simplifying tampography was brought up at one point as a cost cutting measure , but all these figures having completely blank legs makes them feel straight out of 2006

Edited by FightTheDead118
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tampography.

Spelling it out , we* may be criticising prototypes & things change . That said ,apart from Porky ,from what I can see not much has been invested in the tooling !  I can live with that but there are 5 out of the 6 characters have the iconic characteristic white Spider-eyes ,get 'em right & this may be a winning wave ....get 'em wrong ( & I can name several instances in the past ) & this set might be a hammer blow .  

* I hate using the 'we' word but there seems to be a 'gathering' of criticism & I'm really trying to be objective rather than objectionable . 

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

I can’t help but feel disappointed by this, it’s such a weird thing. On one hand, this is an opportunity to have Spider-Man and his friends on shelves again. On the other hand, it’s 100% characters that have (arguably) been done better elsewhere - I’m looking at you, Ben. On the other *other* hand, it’s clear this was made to piggyback on the Spider-verse movies with the character selection but it’s not the spider-verse designs so you lose that market. 

How are they not the movie designs? Miles, Gwen, Peter, Miguel and Ham are all pretty much how they appear in the movies. You honestly think that a lack of sweatpants will eliminate the entirety of the movie fan base? I'm sure a small percentage of them will see this set and a small percentage of THEM will want it, and a small percentage of THEM will buy it, and that's probably still more than who is currently buying Marvel Minimates. 

10 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

If DST wanted to do a Spider-Verse box set, they should have gone all in. Swap Ben for Hobie, make a jacked AF Miguel, bathrobes Peter with his kid as an accessory would be so cute. 

I'm 99% sure the movie is not in our license -- it's controlled pretty tightly, by a different movie studio. We'd have to get a new license, assuming they'd even let us, and go through two studios for approvals, which means you would see them in 2027.

Also, 2019 gave us a great Prowler, which is more recent than the last Gwen (2018), the last Miguel (2015), and the last Ben Reilly (2017). 

5 hours ago, luke314pi said:

Any chance of unmasked heads for all?

I think we opted for new web effects instead. Everyone comes with a new, different web-spray wrist attachment, and you get the new Miguel cape. 

Edited by DSTZach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FightTheDead118 said:

A little disappointed by the lack of leg printing on these figures (yes I know spidey has his leg designs but even then he would usually have some musculature printing as well), I know simplifying tampography was brought up at one point as a cost cutting measure , but all these figures having completely blank legs makes them feel straight out of 2006

I'll be 100% honest, even though I have not seen them in person (I had to skip the show this year), I did look at the design sheets, and the painter approval pics, and... I didn't even notice. Literally. I love Minimates, have hundreds of them, but the lack of a muscle on the thigh goes right by me. I think for a lot of people that is a reality. It's an added production cost that maybe 1 out 20 people notices.

So it seems maybe they did cut some tampo on this wave, and some of the tooling we already had, but that was not what prompted this wave. We wanted to make a widely popular wave that retailers and new fans would invest in. We lowered the price to make it more accessible (this set is $40 for essentially six figures, not sure if everyone picked up on that). It just so happens that it was a set we could do relatively painlessly. 

That said, the next series has some new characters in it, new costumes, and still manages to include some A-listers. Comparable to the Daredevil wave. Hopefully everyone enjoys it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...