UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 38 "Shadowland" series

elhonez

Out of curiosity, what would you guys be looking for in a new Daredevil mate? As simple as it was, the original is still one of my favorite mates, and between him and wave 6 Cap, they're what got me collecting mates in the first place.

DD's always had a very simple costume, so there's not much updating to do that I can think of. The more muscled chest tampo we got in the Target wave brought the design in line with the more recent mate designs. Are you thinking a deeper red color? New mask with sharper, more hooked horns?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, what would you guys be looking for in a new Daredevil mate? As simple as it was, the original is still one of my favorite mates, and between him and wave 6 Cap, they're what got me collecting mates in the first place.

DD's always had a very simple costume, so there's not much updating to do that I can think of. The more muscled chest tampo we got in the Target wave brought the design in line with the more recent mate designs. Are you thinking a deeper red color? New mask with sharper, more hooked horns?

what i would want to see would be a new scuplted mask with sharper more curved horns, mora shading to make him look fear inducing, some subtle muscle details, a leg mounted holster for his billy sticks, a belt tampo and a new hair peice

while these are some rather lackluster 'mates at first glance. I have to admit I like the Elektra re-hash its a simple but effective reworking that really brings this character up to speed with today's offerings, Hand Ninja as an army builder was inevitable, so while it seems a little ho-hum (with out showing what kind of gear he comes with) thats one more army builder out of the way. White Tiger classic is off the main stream path by a mile so I'm happy to get him. The other three ehh they cant make everyone happy all the time, and for me three out of six is pretty good

At this point I really have o wonder: Who are they marketing to? If it's kids, let it be kids. If it's us, they need to step up. This is the first Marvel wave that I've ever thought about skipping. Aside from Spidey I'd never lose sleep over any of these, and that is sad.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys be looking for in a new Daredevil mate?

What I am looking for in a new DD (red or not) is a new mask that doesn't have the grooves for eyes. While I think it's great to have that effect, the current mask always made DD look sad to me. That always put me off the entire minimate. If the eyes were tampo'd on, they can play with the it to make him look more aggressive or not. In the hi-def image, they seemed to have done that but I'm not counting on that until we get the actual mates in hand. It'd be cost efficient to use that old mask...

I still remember getting tricked by the zombie DD. The image on the box looked more eviler than the one we got. That was one of those prototype vs actual differences.

Database pics

At this point I really have o wonder: Who are they marketing to? If it's kids, let it be kids. If it's us, they need to step up. This is the first Marvel wave that I've ever thought about skipping. Aside from Spidey I'd never lose sleep over any of these, and that is sad.

I've customized a Modern Iron Fist, a classic White Tiger, and won a custom Shadowland DD on eBay that someone else made.

I was in the planning stage of customizing a Modern White Tiger when Chuck leaked the lineup, so I'm quite happy that this wave is getting released. :)

Go pick up a trade with the 70's Spectacular Spider-Man/White Tiger arc or the Frank Miller Wolverine mini that Karamazov posted a pic of earlier. The Bendis DD run that introduced the new White Tiger was a great story, as was the recent Iron Fist series. Shadowland may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as long as it is a reason that gets us more 'mates of beloved characters that I never thought would see the light of day, I'm all for it!

I do agree, it is sad that of all the characters in this wave, the Spidey variant is the one you would lose sleep over? :blink:

a re-release of the MK Daredevil would do me, never managed to get hold of that, eventually gave up as it was 'obvious' we'd get another one alone 'soon enough'. I've stated I quite like the Iron Fist, but other than that, I'm with Dinobot, Spidey is the best of a bad bunch, and he is terrible as well... real shame

I'm all for the occasional rehash or updated figure, but I would REALLY like to see some absolutely new characters.

White Tiger is a good addition, as is the HAND Ninja for army builders.....but really, this wave just doesn't do Anything for me.

I'm still waiting for my Spiral Minimate....... :(

Edited by jcastick

What I am looking for in a new DD (red or not) is a new mask that doesn't have the grooves for eyes.

I've actually got Marvel Knights Daredevil, and that figure is very nice. . .except for the mask. The paint doesn't match up with the eyes which is a bit off-putting if you take a close look:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php...amp;n=Daredevil

If not for the sculpted mask, this probably would be the absolute ideal Daredevil to me.

I have to say - i think this wave isn't so bad. 3 characters that were due for updates / re-visits & 3 new characters.

It's not the best wave we've had - but i'll buy this one.

I thought i was well and truly sick of the MoonKnight Hood . . . but it doesn't look too bad at all on the Hand Ninja!

If i had to rate this wave based on the pics - i think i'd give it a C. It's not a total fail, but i'm not gonna mind waiting a while for it to hit.

You and me both! We are brothers in (6) arms! :P

I like the look of this batch. I also know nothing about the shadowland story lol. Spiderman is the one I want foremost from this wave. Here's hoping I can get him before the Red-tron guy does. Ironfist looks good and the daredevil is a stark contrast to how I'm used to seeing him. I'm mainly an X-fan but man these things are addicting.

It'd be so cool if Iron Fist had alternate parts to make an updated classic one.

Other than that, the Hand solider, Elektra and classic White Tiger are musts for me. The rest are passes.

A disappointment that the updated DD we get is in a costume that I will bet my soul won't be around for nearly as long as the red version.

I'm all for the occasional rehash or updated figure, but I would REALLY like to see some absolutely new characters.

White Tiger is a good addition, as is the HAND Ninja for army builders.....but really, this wave just doesn't do Anything for me.

I'm completely underwhelmed by this wave. But there's potential there. This is where I wish I was on the final design review for Minimates because there are some quick tweaks that would improve these figures significantly:

- Iron Fist - Best of the bunch IMO. Not sure about the bulky wrapped hands yet. I hope he includes a hairpiece and some weapons of some sort. Maybe a newly sculpted energy effect?

- White Tiger - Not loving the color of her hair or the choice of hairpiece. I'd have preferred something like 90s Jean Grey's. The red eyes are just off especially with that hot pink lipstick which seems a tad out of character. The painted on details for the gloves and boots don't quite work and the belt just looks chintzy.

- Hand Ninja - The one I want the most... but also the one with the most room for improvement. The parts reuse works well here... though some additional detailing would make this more unique. The red and brick tones are a bit too muted and a darker color scheme would help here. I also think he needs some boot/glove details or sculpted pieces. Not to mention some serious weaponry included.

- Spider-Man - Given this costume has yet to see print, I'm not sure about this. It looks to be a hand-painted prototype and just looks like a sloppy custom. I'm hoping the linework on this is much much crisper. If he glowed in the dark, that could be cool. Otherwise, blah!

- Elektra - The forehead is weird and I hope the placement of the actual decal is more effective than this quicky Photoshop job. Again, I think a deeper red with a hint of metallic would really set this version apart from the original. Nice new loincloth sculpt, though.

- Dark Daredevil - Having no interest in this storyline hurts my enthusiasm for this one. The grey is too powdery and makes the figure look decidedly less dark... which is kind of the crux of the whole storyline, right?? If they did a black figure with grey highlights, this would look a lot better IMO.

- White Tiger (Variant) - Holy parts reuse, Batman! This wave is certainly skating by without many original pieces. This figure looks pretty good but with a design this simple with no new parts or obvious accessories, I certainly hope the tampo details go all the way around the figure, including the back. An unmasked head would be a nice touch here.

I don't plan on buying any, unless it's for fodder (as per usual)

However, it's nice to see Elektra updated, I'm surprised it took so long. Hopefully the hairpiece will actually go down further on the head a bit.

I'm also happy to see a new Daredevil mask, the nose on the old one was really awkward.

Oh, and is that a new sword with the ninja? Looks like it's better scaled than the tiny Deadpool/Old Man Hawkeye ones.

I know you're not wrong about the mask but the Target version is one of my favourite Minimates of all time & the best DD version we have had so far .

Daredevil's classic costume is so very simple that mucking about with it just ruins the concept entirely.

He's red with muscles & DD on his chest. In my humble opinion the versions of DD that we have had so far fail badly in the colour plastic they use & if DST can't get the right colour plastic then I wish .....really wish ......they'd paint him the correct/suitable colour. That isn't going to happen though is it???

Maybe DST should employ that blind guy to design the next version of Daredevil .......the one that currently works in their QC dept.

I didn't read Shadowland, but this is probably the first wave in while where I can see myself wanting to buy ALL of the minimates announced. Granted I can't say I care for Elektra as a character or a minimate, but Iron Fist and Daredevil are two updates I want, White Tiger I know next to nothing about but I'm willing to show my support and I'm loving the Hand Ninjas and will probably spend a small fortune getting a good dozen or so. Here's hoping they'l come with dozens of ninja accessories I can pass around to my other minimates, especally the custom ninjas I bought from Luke's store.

Spider-Man is an odd choice in that particular costume. Its great that we aren't getting another retread of the classic red and blue, or a damaged variation of it...

I agree a lot with this statement. I don't mind Spidey variants IF IT'S NOT THE SAME FRICKING RED AND BLUE COSTUME!. I've said it before and I'll say it again - DST is killing my love for that costume with the hundreds of variants! If you want to make Spidey, fine, I have nothing against that. But I LOVE the Ben Reilly, Scarlet Spider and 2099 costumes, and IMO all three need to be re-done, especally the last two as I feel they lacked too much (web bracelets, hoody chest and leg pouches for Scarlet and a the cape and maybe "talon hands" for 2099).

However...

...but he doesn't even use that costume in Shadowland. They could have saved it for the inevitable Spider-themed wave coming down the line and dumped another Shadowland character in his place here.

I also agree with that. Why not throw it in the modern age heroic boxset? I mean if I were to get both (as I want the Thor from both boxsets and Iron Man and Cap from the modern one) I'm going to have the same Spidey from both boxsets and I hate that. Surely Big Time would work well then. An updated Luke Cage would have worked well IMO.

Still, all in all April seems like too far away (but at least I'll be able to save up :D).

I'd buy a 'What If Aunt May had been Spider-Man' Minimate

Really? You really want to go there? :sick:

You heard him Chuck, next wave should be the following:

Wave 39

-Rusty Iron Man & Aunt May Spider-Man

-Kang & Baron Zemo

-After Dinner Lounge Jacket Wolverine & Captain America with slightly different colored mask

Variant: After Dinner Lounge Jacket Logan (same figure just different name)

Wait, wait, that doesn't sound right ... here we go:

Wave 39

-Rusty Iron Man & Aunt May Spider-Man

-Kang & Baron Zemo -Bulkier Thing & Bulkier Hulk

-After Dinner Lounge Jacket Wolverine & Captain America with slightly different colored mask

Variant: After Dinner Lounge Jacket Logan (same figure just different name)

Kind of curious about the timing on these. If they're saying "in stores in April," we're probably looking at something more like late May/early June. That puts wave 39 presumably in September or so, kind of late for the Cap and Thor movies. I wonder if those are going to be a combined wave? Maybe just TRU exclusives?

Or, maybe Cap and Thor will be exclusive to Toys R Us.

A bit off topic, but from a business standpoint, I think it would make sense for TRU and comic shop releases to overlap as little as possible, with only the occasional exception of an army builder or popular character being released at both outlets. Though it would be cheaper to pump out the same (or similar) figures for both markets, the demand for, say, female Loki or Silver Centurion would be much higher if they weren't released at both, which would mean fewer packs clogging pegs. The Wolvie: Origins comic shop release might have been a good middle ground, though, as they seemed to be released in very low supply, allowing those figures to clog TRU shelves only because they sucked, not because they were readily available at both places.

Edited by karamazov80