UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 38 "Shadowland" series

elhonez

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, maybe Cap and Thor will be exclusive to Toys R Us.

A bit off topic, but from a business standpoint, I think it would make sense for TRU and comic shop releases to overlap as little as possible, with only the occasional exception of an army builder or popular character being released at both outlets. Though it would be cheaper to pump out the same (or similar) figures for both markets, the demand for, say, female Loki or Silver Centurion would be much higher if they weren't released at both, which would mean fewer packs clogging pegs. The Wolvie: Origins comic shop release might have been a good middle ground, though, as they seemed to be released in very low supply, allowing those figures to clog TRU shelves only because they sucked, not because they were readily available at both places.

I think the overlap has been a big problem, personally. My LCBS has stopped carrying the Minimate waves (or, at least, is picking and choosing which to order) because they aren't selling through as well any more, and a big reason for that is that several sets have been available at our local TRU, for a lower price, before Diamond shipped them. Conversely, those packs, like Lady Loki and Modern Thor, seem to pegwarm much more then other sets. Everybody's loosing. Look at Luke's store; I think every set he has that was also released to TRU has ended up discounted. That suggests to me he's having a harder time moving those compared to the other sets.

is it me or are those red ninjas eyes crossed (LOL)

Yeah . . . . THAT's where Elektras face ought to be!

And DareDevil looks a lot better in the darker duds. here's hoping DST does actually do this.

I think White Tiger looked better with the red eyes though.

I can see your point Dino but as you said it's probably too late . Regards 'how hard...to change colours etc.' I have always found it incredible that very few of us ,if any,seem to know or want to know or even want to share their knowledge of how a Minimate is actually made? I'm not dumb enough not to work out some of the processes but ultimately they are hand-assembled.......... right ?

i think they should keep elektra red, she wears red in shadowland and we need a redo of here red costume. now that i have actually red shadowland im upset about DST's choices. the other characters i would love to see from this story are; typhoid mary, black tarantula, misty knight and shang chi. i hope this comic also inspires them to remake ghost rider, kingpin, punisher(in full costume, no trenchcoat crap), red costume daredevil and luke cage(as powerman or just civies)

It's interesting to see a similar sort of apathy to this wave from some of the regulars, as it matches my own. I'm not sure if it's DST's insistence on wanting to redo a lot of characters or what, but this wave doesn't interest me in the slightest. Apart from the new White Tigers boobs, obviously.

I feel like I have been skipping more and more Minimates releases recently, and this is just another one to add to that long list.

I feel like I have been skipping more and more Minimates releases recently, and this is just another one to add to that long list.

Same here. The only minimates I bought recently were the New Mutants, a Universal Monsters 2-pack, & a Sunfire off of ebay. Why? Because they are new characters that I don't have.

The only thing coming up that I must have is the Magik/Warlock exclusive (Why is it always the TRU exclusives I want?! groan)... and a Lizard would be nice.

BTW: I'm not really hating on this wave. The White Tigers and Hand ninjas are new, and it was time for Iron Fist to show up since he was so hard to find the first time (at least for me!). I also understand that not everybody is an X-Men or Spider-man fan (although surprise! He's in this wave too), but the huge influx of redone characters has made me start focusing more on the other toylines I collect.

Oh well, maybe Wave 39 will be an Alpha Flight wave or Young Avengers wave or something.

Edited by Chazwinski

Same here. The only minimates I bought recently were the New Mutants, a Universal Monsters 2-pack, & a Sunfire off of ebay. Why? Because they are new characters that I don't have.

The only thing coming up that I must have is the Magik/Warlock exclusive (Why is it always the TRU exclusives I want?! groan)... and a Lizard would be nice.

BTW: I'm not really hating on this wave. The White Tigers and Hand ninjas are new, and it was time for Iron Fist to show up since he was so hard to find the first time (at least for me!). I also understand that not everybody is an X-Men or Spider-man fan (although surprise! He's in this wave too), but the huge influx of redone characters has made me start focusing more on the other toylines I collect.

Oh well, maybe Wave 39 will be an Alpha Flight wave or Young Avengers wave or something.

As cool as that would be, Wave 39 will most likely be a movie tie-in.

Although I could deal with two four-packs in regards to Thor and Cap. Am.

Thor

1. Battle Damaged Thor

2. Destroyer

3. Loki (of some nature)

4. Odin/Frost Giant/Baldar

Captain America

1. Cap

2. Red Skull

3. Armon Zola

4. Nick Furry/Dum Dum/Bucky-Winter Soldier

The only thing coming up that I must have is the Magik/Warlock exclusive (Why is it always the TRU exclusives I want?! groan)

I've actually started to worry recently that the LCS are getting less figures that i want, while the Exclusives (Both Box-Sets & TRU) are getting more of the desirable characters. . . But i'm not sure if i'm just being biased based on the Marvel Comics i read or if it's a genuine issue :blink:

Since 'desirable' is such a relative term, i'm guess it's me just me . .

I think DST's caught between a rock and a hard place a bit here. They've made almost--what, 300 Marvel Minimates at this point? They've been doing this for years, and there's really no way that you can have a successful Marvel toy line (or DC, for that matter) without mixing in the big guns with some regularity. It's just the way it is. We've got to swallow a little Spider-Man in order to get Lockjaw.

Okay, I'm not sure what that meant. Sorry, I've been up late watching football.

On the other hand, the thing I think DST does a very poor job in is planning ahead so as to space out rereleases of certain characters. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to release a Captain America-only box set a few months before you're going to be flooding the market with Caps, and thus eating up viable variations for the main line, and I certainly don't think it makes any sense to do so when you've very recently released a new basic Captain America (the TRU exclusive one), and have another one coming out in a box set. It's just too many Captain Americas in a short time, and DST does this time and time again.

It's just bizarre to me that DST would release several New Mutants figures, and not think that fans would want to complete the team with Moonstar. It's also bizarre that they would release a figure-twice- to complete a team lineup from a box set as a chase figure. Doesn't it occur to them that people will want to complete that team?

Sorry, that's a bit off topic. In any event, I think DST does more right then wrong, and I think the Shadowland wave is mostly a success. And DST has been doing a great job in filling out these packages with little bonuses like hidden figures and extra weapons. I think we'll all like these more then we do now once we have them.

Oh, and one more good thing about rereleases: it makes it much easier to justify cannibalizing a Minimate for customizing parts!

I really want an Alpha Flight wave or box set soon

Box Set/s could be

Guardian

Sasquatch

Shaman

Snowbird

Puck

Marrina

Vindicator

Talisman

Northstar and Aurora two-pack

Madison Jeffries and Box or Diamond Lil two-pack

Wolverine and Wild Child two-pack

I can dream right?

I really want an Alpha Flight wave or box set soon

Maybe it's time we had another Box Set Poll?

it's been like a year and a half since the last one: http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...c=5859&st=0

and we've seen a lot of those characters made now . . .

What do the Mods think?

Edited by Nessex