UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

Some might turn-up loose on ebay, but I'm sure it'll be a scalper's paradise.

I could see a lot of sets turning up on ebay so maybe the pricing won't be so bad.... Minimates are a niche product, if you like Ghostbusters and don't like mini-mates these aren't going to inspire you to buy the 4-packs, especially since Mattel is making figures as well and if you were a causal GB fan who wants figures you'd probably go with those for your plastic fix (ie- Street Fighter fans picking SOTA over Minimates)

So if someone wants the bust or the console skin or the key chain and wants to recoupe some of the cost of buying it I bet we see their sets turn up on eBay (similar to how some people here will try to dump off the bust, skin, key chain... possibly game.)

.... OR maybe we'll be extra lucky and since it's the Wii version and the PS3/XBox versions are the "better" versions no one will buy it and they'll clearance it out so we won't need to turn to ebay.

Either way, I like those mini-mates but not $110+ S&H like especially since they're basically new tempos on all pre-existing parts.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank Gozer that DST didn't stick any important characters in this thing, like Janine or the library ghost -- personally I couldn't give a toss about random ghost mates with no nostalgia factor, but I feel for those who want them...

Niche market or not, I can't see them showing up too cheap on eBay, at least not at first. Anything with the word "exclusive" attached to it, and eBay sellers' eyes suddenly turn into cartoon dollar signs...

So if someone wants the bust or the console skin or the key chain and wants to recoupe some of the cost of buying it I bet we see their sets turn up on eBay (similar to how some people here will try to dump off the bust, skin, key chain... possibly game.)

My initial thought was to buy one, and sell everything except the Minimates (and, possibly, the game). But then I started realizing how cool it would be to have an Ecto-1 keychain, etc. etc., and you know the rest :(

Not having a game system that'll play the game, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it, but selling all but the mates. $110 for the Wii version for 4 mates is a bit much (though I suppose I've paid more for 4 mates recently), but even recouping half the cost by selling the game and exras seems more do-able.

Then, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to make even half back re-selling the stuff, so its a gamble. Also, Minimate collectors aren't like other collectors--even the rare toys typically aren't worth very much. Prototype Ozzie Minimates, probably only 2 or so in existence, went for $200 some-odd bucks! A possibly one of a kind Green Goblin prototype went for less than $80. Some GTA Kubricks--apparently 3,000 sets made--are selling for over $500 on EBay as we speak. A 1/3 Todd McFarlane "cap variant" Babe Ruth went for $11,000.

I know absolutely nothing about the various video-game formats but is it probable that their packaging will be significantly different(??) on each version. These look like being an expensive nightmare for the packaging completists amongst us . :confused:

Since they are amazon exclusives, I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't actually packaged with the game at all, so much as included in plastic baggies or something.

Edited by karamazov80

... A Minimate/video game pack-in? That's interesting.

The ghosts in the set look nigh weird, but kinda cool. Plus if DST can actually create Minimates based on "expanded universe" characters in a video game... pretty neat implications is all I can say.

More than the price and the platform version though, it's "Amazon.com exclusive" that worries me. Sounds like a mighty unwieldy way to promote "a niche product", I would've figured DST would figure out some other interesting way to spread the Minimate gospel. Not a bad effort, though.

Distributing/Selling/Promoting Minimates always seems to be a mixed bag of complications: the retail giants (bar TRU) don't carry them, the comic/specialty stores don't (all) carry them, blind-boxing them seems to be a bust (however to date blindboxing Minimates has only been tested in Japan, I wonder how that would work elsewhere...), not to mention the whole obscurity/acquired taste factor Minimates seem to have going for them... :blink:

That pic was shown on the Amazon.com listing for the 360 version.

If I can somehow get the money to buy the game, I'll end up selling the bust/skin/hey-chain/and the game (if it sucks), and just keep the minimates. That's IF i can get the 130 dollars. IF

Thank Gozer that DST didn't stick any important characters in this thing, like Janine or the library ghost -- personally I couldn't give a toss about random ghost mates with no nostalgia factor, but I feel for those who want them...

Exactly what I was thinking - I'm not losing too much sleep about these since they aren't relevant to the movies - and I'm certainly not throwin' down $100

That pic was shown on the Amazon.com listing for the 360 version.

If I can somehow get the money to buy the game, I'll end up selling the bust/skin/hey-chain/and the game (if it sucks), and just keep the minimates. That's IF i can get the 130 dollars. IF

I double checked and its actually shown under all the versions...I know what you mean about the IF part...does make me a bit happier that they are not from the movies...then I might be a bit more upset if I miss them

Jeff of the Miniacs

it sucks that the only way to get this set is for me to put down 100 bucks for a game i dont have a system for

anyways its awsome that we have vid game pack ins option now my ideas

terminater 4 game:

jhon conners

3 differant terminaters

wolverine game

emma frost

gambit

super deadpool

wraith

wolverine movie

maverick

banshee

beak

cyclops

it sucks that the only way to get this set is for me to put down 100 bucks for a game i dont have a system for

anyways its awsome that we have vid game pack ins option now my ideas

terminater 4 game:

jhon conners

3 differant terminaters

wolverine game

emma frost

gambit

super deadpool

wraith

wolverine movie

maverick

banshee

beak

cyclops

:blink::no: banshee and beak dont come out in the movie.

I think it's a pretty cool thing. I'd probably be a little more upset if I wanted these guys, but I think it's a nice little bonus and might get some people interested in getting the Ghostbusters 'mates. Also, I do think that we won't have too much of a problem getting these loose on eBay. I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers looking to recoup their cost by selling off the extras they don't want.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Just for that DST, I won't be buying Ghostbusters Minimates PERIOD.

I think it would have been much better to sell it at Gamestop and have all of the extra stuff as a pre-order bonus, and sell the game for $60.

Edited by Dio

I quite expect these mates to show up on ebay. To be honest I would love these as I think they look cool but I'm not fretting over the price. I would be more enjoyed if they had packed in a key character like slimer that then wouldn't be available in normal packs.

I quite expect these mates to show up on ebay. To be honest I would love these as I think they look cool but I'm not fretting over the price. I would be more enjoyed if they had packed in a key character like slimer that then wouldn't be available in normal packs.

Now this idea i like. We know he'll be in that Venkman two-pack sometime down the road, but DST needs to start playing the market and "re-releasing" figures, or in the TRU case releasing them earlier than the real product.

Of course, we could be like the geniuses on all those gaming forums and say "this is stupid. They should pack the Ghostbusters in this." Seriously, i've seen like seven of those. And laugh my ass off. XD

I just thought of something! If this game is the "Slimer" edition, how come Slimer isn't one of the 4 ghosts packed in. We've all seen the Slimer prototype and we know he won't be included in either GB boxed set. So naturally where should he go? Hmmmm.... just an observation.

Edited by MINI_MYTE