UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters Minimates-Movies

I'm gonna call it right now: Proton Pack will win Top Accessory in the 2009 Best Of voting!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my own Polar Lights Ecto-1 model in the mail a few weeks back, and I just finished it today.

You should note that the decals I used came from a sheet I found at JTGraphics (because the sticker sheet that comes with the model really sucks). They're water-based slide-ons, but they were worth it.

MiniMateEcto.jpg

MiniMateEcto1.jpg

MiniMateEcto2.jpg

MiniMateEcto3.jpg

MiniMateEcto4.jpg

Deffinatley worth the buy, and a pretty good fit. If you do get one, make sure you look at plenty of reference online since the box and instructions are inaccurate as far as color details go.

Nice work Cowblaster! I got mine a while back and started painting the interior...next day, a frick'n snow-storm! I haven't gotten back to work on it yet as I'm waiting for the weather to warm-up to finish spray painting. Did you leave the body separate from the chassis so you can put 'mates inside? If so, I'd love to see how your's turned out. I think I'm going to keep mine simple to complement the toyetic design of the 'mates. I'm contemplating constructing a storage rack for the backpacks, but I'm afraid to cut the back door off to make it open. I'll have to check-out those waterslide decals as the stickers do seem a bit weak. It really is a nice model and is perfectly scaled for Minimates. Post some pic.s CB to show them how well the 'mates fit the seats! B)

Nice work Cowblaster! I got mine a while back and started painting the interior...next day, a frick'n snow-storm! I haven't gotten back to work on it yet as I'm waiting for the weather to warm-up to finish spray painting. Did you leave the body separate from the chassis so you can put 'mates inside? If so, I'd love to see how your's turned out. I think I'm going to keep mine simple to complement the toyetic design of the 'mates. I'm contemplating constructing a storage rack for the backpacks, but I'm afraid to cut the back door off to make it open. I'll have to check-out those waterslide decals as the stickers do seem a bit weak. It really is a nice model and is perfectly scaled for Minimates. Post some pic.s CB to show them how well the 'mates fit the seats! B)

I didn't keep mine seperate at all, so I won't be able to put any 'mates back inside. Before I painted it, I did put one in the seat and they do fit perfectly, but I don't want to go through all the hassle of dissmantiling it again to do that.

Also, I wouldn't bother trying to add too much detail to the back interior. Once assembled, the overly-tinted back windows completley black-out the back section, even when peering from the front seat (the seperate back window piece surrounds the interior from all four sides). Even when I put a flashlight against it, I can't see any of that detail I bothered putting back there when I painted it. If you were to cut the back window piece at all, the windows might bend inwards from lack of support, and fixing that might be more trouble than it's worth.

The Ecto-1 model is best for admiring the exterior, and being in the background for the minimates. Don't worry too much about the interior.

I found the JTGraphics sticker sheet at a website called CultTVManShop.com for about eight bucks, and it comes with detailed instructions and additional photo reference to apply the stickers. It really is a great addition, and I wouldn't have been as happy with the overall model without it. I screwed-up the Cadillac logo that was to go on the hood, but everything else turned-out great. The roof equipment especially now has more going for it in the way of danger and warning labels all over the place, and the stripes on the radar dish saved me from having to paint them on myself.

Edited by Cowblaster

This isn't mine (haven't figured-out what I'll need), but here's a couple of pic.s of a guy's Ecto-1 with opening door:

http://members.chello.at/edimasta/ecto02.jpg

http://members.chello.at/edimasta/ecto03.jpg

I'd still really like to attempt this so the backpacks could be stowed, but I don't want to destroy mine until I can figure-out exactly how to get such a clean cut. It would require cutting the back window section as well and possibly a bit more support than just gluing. Hinges are another issue (the one in the pic. is just using wire), but I'm sure I can come up with something...maybe LEGO hinges.

I'm definitely going to get some of those waterslide decals for the warning/caution tags. Thanks, Cowblaster!

Edited by cdubya

This isn't mine (haven't figured-out what I'll need), but here's a couple of pic.s of a guy's Ecto-1 with opening door:

http://members.chello.at/edimasta/ecto02.jpg

http://members.chello.at/edimasta/ecto03.jpg

I'd still really like to attempt this so the backpacks could be stowed, but I don't want to destroy mine until I can figure-out exactly how to get such a clean cut. It would require cutting the back window section as well and possibly a bit more support than just gluing. Hinges are another issue (the one in the pic. is just using wire), but I'm sure I can come up with something...maybe LEGO hinges.

I'm definitely going to get some of those waterslide decals for the warning/caution tags. Thanks, Cowblaster!

That sounds awesome, I hope it works out for you.

While I was looking for research, I came across this guy's website where he documented his building of AMT's Ecto-1A model kit. It shows how he customized his own storage rack, and he gives pretty good instructions on how to do it yourself with paperclips and styrene. I thought about it, but like I said earlier, I didn't think it'd be worth putting back there with the black windows.

But if you can get that back door open, it would be a great addition.

The die-cast version looks like the way to go. . .but dang.

I can't believe that two companies are re-releasing versions of the Delorian from BTTF, but no one has taken up one of these yet! Surely someone will to coincide with the new Ghostbusters game, Mattel's new toys, etc. I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach.

Ooooooooo, shiny (and opening doors). You know, after buying all of the paints-n-such I will have probably invested as much as if I had just bought the die-cast! :biggrin:

Just a little tidbit of info:

Checked up on AA's Gallery today to find two new GB sections: GB Poster Design and GB Minimates Design. The poster one just showed the process of linework for it, but the Minimates one reveale that yes, the Packs will have a string going from them to the gun. Looks pretty neat.

And then theirs a pick of DSTBarry's rendering of Stay Puft from when he was 5...

Link-er-roonie: http://www.artasylum.com/gallery/ghostbust...nimates-design/

I figured it would be Venkman with the slime shooter thing. I guess they are holding off, so that they can do a couple of 4-packs for that movie, like they did for the first one, where each member has the Ectoplasm-shooting gun or whatever it was. Didn't even realize that the GBs seem to have different uniforms in each movie. In part 2 they seem to be much darker.

Hmmm... if this is where Stay Puft is going and we can guess that Slimer is with the slimed venkman idea... what will be in the boxset? A different Stay-Puft? I hope this is not the only way to get him.