UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 85: Spidey 2010s

Trekker 42

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I think by Hobie they meant Spider-Punk, not Prowler.

The Best Of Spider-Man didn't have leg muscle detailing either, like the plain inner wrists it makes sense that something would get skipped with all the weblines.

I'm an idiot. I was thinking of the original Hobie Brown. Spider-Punk would be great. I wish we'd done Spider-Punk. He would have been a good substitute. Not sure we still have Marty's guitar, or Janice's. 

13 hours ago, DSTZach said:

How are they not the movie designs? Miles, Gwen, Peter, Miguel and Ham are all pretty much how they appear in the movies. You honestly think that a lack of sweatpants will eliminate the entirety of the movie fan base? I'm sure a small percentage of them will see this set and a small percentage of THEM will want it, and a small percentage of THEM will buy it, and that's probably still more than who is currently buying Marvel Minimates.

Zach--

I have a lot of strong opinions on the phrase "pretty much," for a grown woman I have way too much time on my hands to talk about toys on the internet. I've made a little chart detailing how these figures don't really stand in for what the mass market sees as Spider-Verse. Times are changing, peoples perceptions on characters evolve. The casual buyer thinks Miguel is this roided-up beefcake, they think Hobie Brown is a Spider-Man, etc. It's not a matter of sweatpants, it's a matter of people caring more about something when it's a thing they know. I think a reliance on comics is going to be a detriment moving forward, people are going to be more excited by the versions of characters they know and associate with. People know these characters from media outside of paperback and tbh the average fan isn’t going to go read comics after watching the movies

I never should have quit Youtube, I got too many opinions and too little a void to scream into

Pissy about spider-men.png

Edited by Smashmaster12

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I think we opted for new web effects instead. Everyone comes with a new, different web-spray wrist attachment, and you get the new Miguel cape. 

The one we can see in the photo looks cool. It will be neat to have some new web effects.

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I'll be 100% honest, even though I have not seen them in person (I had to skip the show this year), I did look at the design sheets, and the painter approval pics, and... I didn't even notice. Literally. I love Minimates, have hundreds of them, but the lack of a muscle on the thigh goes right by me. I think for a lot of people that is a reality. It's an added production cost that maybe 1 out 20 people notices.

I might not notice in some cases, and / or the figure might look OK without leg tampos. It kills 2099 though. I have the same complaint with this proto as I did with the original. With so little (front facing) tampo and that blue plastic, it looks slapped together. Like a blank with a couple of stickers. This is the only Minimate that ever gave me this cheaped out feeling ... twice. It looks like some detail has been added but I still get the same vibe and still find it ugly and cheap looking. I'd say it's a small improvement over the original, but not enough. If ever a Mate needed some muscle detailing to round it out, it's this one.

As for Ben Reilly, #2 was the best, followed by 1. This one is a distant 3rd for me.

I'm excited to see more web effects.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:24 PM, DSTZach said:

I'm sorry, I hadn't thought about Walgreens,  they feel like ancient history to me now. To be fair,  they were based on the Spider- Man Animated Series and that series is chock-full of spider-characters (Miles, Arana, Gwen, Venom), so we were going to get a lot of Spider. 

If you count Walgreens, there may not be a lot that's new for you in the next set. But as these are comic-based, they do have a lot more detail, new sculpted parts, etc. Hopefully we'll show them off on October at NYCC.

I actually hesitated before quoting the above but, TBQH Zach, I have never really gotten over that post .

Sometimes it felt that the only person that seemed interested in Walgreens Marvel Minimates was me .  

Does nobody else remember WG Wave 1 ?  It contained a rather good-looking Spider-Man 2099 (Ultimate). 

Does nobody else remember WG Wave 1.5? It contained a rather fine Miles Morales.

WG Wave 8  ? A Spider-Gwen that looks like the previous TRU version & remarkably like the 'new' version .

I am perplexed , where is the 'lot more' detail & the new sculpted parts that you mentioned or is that just ancient history ?

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

Sometimes it felt that the only person that seemed interested in Walgreens Marvel Minimates was me .  

Personally, I was a big big fan of Walgreens Marvel Minimates. The animated waves, that is; not necessarily the MCU assortments. 

I felt as if it were the same effect as 'Ultimate Marvel Comics' in the early noughties. Giving fans an opportunity to start a new collection of Marvel Minimates from the beginning in a way which emphasized significant players in the history of Marvel Comics. 

I can see the significant lack of X-characters detracting from that point, but hey, if sacrificing another couple of Wolverines for the sake of Squadron Supreme I'm alright with that.

23 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

Personally, I was a big big fan of Walgreens Marvel Minimates. The animated waves, that is; not necessarily the MCU assortments. 

I felt as if it were the same effect as 'Ultimate Marvel Comics' in the early noughties. Giving fans an opportunity to start a new collection of Marvel Minimates from the beginning in a way which emphasized significant players in the history of Marvel Comics. 

I can see the significant lack of X-characters detracting from that point, but hey, if sacrificing another couple of Wolverines for the sake of Squadron Supreme I'm alright with that.

felt the same way. the variety of characters in the Walgreens 'mates made the frustration of finding them sometimes totally worth it. the animated style still fits in well with the comics 'mates and the deep dive into obscure characters or new designs of current characters was great.

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I adored the WG minimate line, and was truly gutted when it ended. The WG line got me minimates of some of my most wanted characters, like Hyperion, Speed Demon, Doctor Spectrum, Kaine Scarlet Spider, Man-Thing, newer Spider-Man 2099, bulked up Executioner, and many others. 
For some collectors, the animated style was a detractor, but for me, almost all of those releases were solid home runs. 

I did not mean to belittle or discount the WG Minimates. It was a great line, even though a lot of people here DID belittle and discount it at the time. I wasn't watching the shows religiously, so it took until VERY recently to appreciate my Screwball Minimate, but as a comic reader I do like my Squadron. And the evil Avengers. And the various Hulkbuster armors. Good times.

Are these as detailed as those, in these four examples? Maybe not, but maybe I didn't study the design sheets well enough before I made that statement. I would love to sit down and put my art-major eye on both figures next to each other, but I don't have the time. (Do I have time for THIS? Of course not.) Are there new molds? Yes, new arms and cape for Miguel, web-shooter hands for EVERYONE (not new molds, but not something we did for a lot of Walgreens Mates, IIRC), and new web effects for some of the characters. 

Do these look ANYTHING like the movie versions? Of course they do! They're wearing the costumes that the movies designers used as the basis for all of their work! Any costume differences are minor; I do not count sneaker brand, shading direction or eye pointiness. Do they look EXACTLY like the movie versions? Of course not, because these are Minimates. We're not going to make a figure shaped like a Dorito, or make Spider-Ham's head bigger than his body, or capture every faint texture applied to every surface of a million-dollar 3-D rendering. Not as a Minimate. 

A movie license was not an option -- not a cheap-out, a box-out. Comic versions based on the comic storyline ON WHICH THE MOVIE WAS BASED were a valid option. I actually suggested it, because I thought it would resonate, and comic fans (or at least comic shop retailers, our main customers) would consider jumping on board with it. Maybe it will be out around the third movie. I could be wrong about its chances of success, but if comic versions are no longer acceptable in this world of occasionally well-received but increasingly frequently POORLY received multimedia adaptations, then the line is dead.

Thank you for the assessments from Smashmaster and BHM. Here are some design sheets. 

Marvel Wave 85 - Miguel O'Hara Spider-Man 2099.jpg

Marvel Wave 85 - Gwen Stacy Ghost-Spider.jpg

Marvel Wave 85 - Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider.jpg

18 hours ago, Smashmaster12 said:

Zach--

I have a lot of strong opinions on the phrase "pretty much," for a grown woman I have way too much time on my hands to talk about toys on the internet. I've made a little chart detailing how these figures don't really stand in for what the mass market sees as Spider-Verse. Times are changing, peoples perceptions on characters evolve. The casual buyer thinks Miguel is this roided-up beefcake, they think Hobie Brown is a Spider-Man, etc. It's not a matter of sweatpants, it's a matter of people caring more about something when it's a thing they know. I think a reliance on comics is going to be a detriment moving forward, people are going to be more excited by the versions of characters they know and associate with. People know these characters from media outside of paperback and tbh the average fan isn’t going to go read comics after watching the movies

I never should have quit Youtube, I got too many opinions and too little a void to scream into

Pissy about spider-men.png

I just want to acknowledge how well thought out this chart is with plenty of examples and a relatively good flow. 
Well done. 

Also you mentioning you’re a woman got me wondering about the demographics of our community. I honestly kinda assumed everyone really active on here was a dude. Maybe we could set up some kind of anonymous survey. See how far and wide our community goes. 

Edited by Trekker 42

31 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Ham is a micro-Mate like HERBIE or Uni. No articulation or swappable parts. Sorry. We went down to five poseable figures to bring the price down to 40.

To clarify that remark ....no articulation or swappable parts .....Minimates are to be known from now on as Inanimates ?

Pathetic ,absolutely pathetic .

I am happy with this set, and the webbing parts look great. I would also like to say that I will prefer Minimates based on comics over the movies 100% of the time. That is what got me and all the original members of this group to buy them. We didn't get any Minimates based on the movie until Spider-man 3 if I remember correctly. 

6 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

I just want to acknowledge how well thought out this chart is with plenty of examples and a relatively good flow. 
Well done. 

Thank you!! I don’t talk a lot here but I certainly am passionate about stuff. 

5 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

What's keeping you from it? I remember appreciating your videos and I would happily tune in again.

Life and depression got in the way. Honestly I’ve been thinking about going back to it the past couple of months. Maybe I will, even if it’s not all Minimate stuff. Thanks 🙂

26 minutes ago, Smashmaster12 said:

Thank you!! I don’t talk a lot here but I certainly am passionate about stuff. 

Life and depression got in the way. Honestly I’ve been thinking about going back to it the past couple of months. Maybe I will, even if it’s not all Minimate stuff. Thanks 🙂

We can tell and thank you for the chart and your thoughts! Sorry that depression and life got in the way and I also look forward to the return of the channel.

8 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

To clarify that remark ....no articulation or swappable parts .....Minimates are to be known from now on as Inanimates ?

Pathetic ,absolutely pathetic .

I cannot remember ever being "baited" by BHM, so I assume there is some deep sarcasm going on here. We've been doing a micro-figure in pretty much every deluxe box set -- I forgot to mention Lucky! Daredevil did not get one, but I don't know what we would have included. 

In a nutshell Peter Porker deserves better than being a 'micro-Mate' . 

".......a micro-figure in pretty much every deluxe box set... "  By quoting you ,my intention is not to 'bait' but that is simply not reality . I know we have a 'Herbie' & no issues with that ... Scott Lang's head is Scott Lang's head , they're not micro-Mates .

Walgreens ....yeah Walgreens.... wave 3, had an *Itsy Bitsy Spider-Man . I know the Deadpool/Spidey story where Itsy Bitsy is featured but Itsy Bitsy Spider-Man is based on ........who actually ???  Anybody, please show me an image of who this character is based on ?

That said ,that obscure *Minimate , was surely the obvious base for a Peter Porker Minimate.  Peter Parker is 5'10" whilst Peter Porker is 5'2" .....according to 'Marvel database' . There are several Marvel Minimates that portray Marvel characters much smaller than 5'2" so WTF is the issue ?  Please ?

-baitheadsmate:spidey:

Edited by buttheadsmate
grammar.