UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

C2E2 2013

boyd

Doctor Who was a different case though, right? If DST delivers control art to the licensor, and they decide to release it, it's their business. Anyway, I wonder if the rule means no showing art before protos are made, and that these past instances are examples of art being shown after the protos have been made in-house but not shown to the teeming masses.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art made for Underground Toys or Icon Heroes is not under our auspices. They can do what they want with it. TCats 4 art is on the Cat's Lair box.

I may have convinced Chuck to show Series 50 art when we announced the line-up. But protos first is our normal policy.

Obviously, art shown at Toy Fair to get sales is different. We've barred photography in the past, but not this year. So while there may be coverage out there, I have not released it officially.

Now that I'm back and work and have time to post, I wanted to say thanks to everyone I talked to, met or shared baby pictures with at C2E2. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

And a big shout-out to Zach for everything. No one works harder to set up Minimates that fall over.

After hearing about everything to come this year, I'm optimistic, but not without some trepidation. It sounds like a lot of the new lines – Invincible, Aliens, Lost in Space, even the second wave of Battle Beasts – are still very much on the drawing board and are in no way a sure bet. There have been very few items DST has solicited and not ended up producing, so I have a lot of faith in their ability to gauge the viability of a given line. Still, I'd be lying if I said I weren't a bit queasy about the prospects of lines like Invincible, which sounds like is only being marketed only to LCSs, and Lost in Space, which sounds like a big question mark in general at this point. We know (sort of? Have heard rumors?) Tomb Raider has been in the works since Toy Fair last year, and it will still be a few months yet before we have those in hand.

I guess my point is, none of these new properties are guaranteed, and it could be quite a while before any of them see fruition. But, yes, I'm super stoked that the Minimates line continues to grow and evolve in fun new directions. I'm just thanking my lucky stars for what we've got. sweat.gif

I hate that I'm not a part of the special club who was able to attend and see these, but on the other hand I can totally understand not wanting to show art to the masses that hasn't been officially decided on as a figure to be released. Sideshow did this with their Firefly figure, and I still haven't forgiven them for coming up with such an awesome (nay, perfect) mockup then deciding to just jump the shark for the actual figure.

Edited by karamazov80

a spiderman bank may sell, that would be 'vanilla'

Except we don't have the Marvel bank license, and will likely never get it, as long as Monogram is around. Three are very few licenses we have banks AND Minimates for, and our current in-house brand is fairly elaborate.

sorry, I'd missed that completely

I had a great time at C2E2 this year. I got to meet Zach, Nervous and YouBastards. All three of them were great guys, and a lot of fun to talk to about minimates, customizing and toys in general. Hopefully I'll be able to meet more of you next year. It was a lot of fun to see the whole minimate exhibit. Since I am relatively new with minimates, there were a lot of minimates that I just hadn't ever seen before this show. I have to say that I really liked the 3" figures. They had a nice weight to them and were fairly easy to set up and get to stand. However, with that said, I much prefer the 2" line for the minimates that I like to collect. It was also crazy to see how many marvel figures have been produced, and yet I'm sure that was only a fraction of them.

As for new minimates, I was really excited to see the Iron Man 3 minimates. All the different armor designs look really nice. Especially the Iron Patriot and the bulkier red armor. I liked the new additions to the tomb raider line. Initially I wasn't too interested, but the Oni general armor looks fantastic. It has a really nice samurai armor feel to it that is going to work really well for some future customs.

And what I was most excited for were the Battle Beasts. A lot of great new designs were shown. A cheetah, hammerhead shark, giraffe, cow, Anubis and Ulin the human antagonist at the end of the comic. Really hoping the comic book series continues and that we see more of these figures.

Again, great time at the show. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again next year.

Yes, BB2 is still on the drawing board, but I'm optimistic.

Lost In Space Minimates will definitely come out this year in one form or another. Packaging text is in, I believe.

Aliens I do not know the timeline, but I cannot see us walking away from the line.

Invincible may not be in TRU, but I can't imagine orders will be so low as to threaten production. Please pre-order, and don't wait and see if your LCS gets them in.

Tomb Raider was held up by contracts, as this is a pretty big license for us, and there were a lot of points to work out. But I believe Robert recently told me he was very happy with the quality of the samples he received. Sorry it took so long, but to be fair, we only had one figure at last year's Toy Fair, so it's not like we've been sitting on the full wave all this time.

We are very lucky to be juggling the number of active licenses that we are.

Thanks for all your help, Delta!

Aliens - Not signed.

I'm confused. Does this mean that DST doesn't yet have a signed contact with Fox for Aliens product? huh.png

It's close, but I don't believe so, no. Nothing to worry about, it's a long process.

We are very lucky to be juggling the number of active licenses that we are.

We will be pretty lucky to gorge ourselves on this Minimate buffet when everything falls into place! And I didn't mean to imply you guys were dragging your feet on the Tomb Raider license, just pointing out that with these big licenses it can take time to button things up; time that feels like an eternity to guys who catch a whiff of their dream license becoming a reality! happy.png

Aliens - Not signed.

I'm confused. Does this mean that DST doesn't yet have a signed contact with Fox for Aliens product? huh.png

It's close, but I don't believe so, no. Nothing to worry about, it's a long process.

Yeah, been there; done that. I've been through some lengthy negotiations but it was never anything that held up product development, especially if you've already got a good-faith relationship with the licensor. Thanks for clarifying though.

I'm just wondering if/when the other big revelation from the panel will be talked about...

Also, I felt like once again DST was one of the only major companies that treated C2E2 like a serious con this year. Each year it appears to be growing and I fully expect it to become the big name con that's not on a coast. I just wish it started getting the big name attention (and exclusives) it really deserves.

Know what's been half-stuck in my craw for 2 days, here I go asking about the Brotherhood. Find out the idea of a Brotherhood boxed set has at least been discussed, floated across the table, and may even be released between 1 and 11 years from now, and nobody even mentions it in this thread.

For shame. How is this completely un-urgent non-news not the absolute highlight of the panel for anyone besides me.

Was a Brotherhood boxed set announced!? NO! But there's at least chatter. And chatter leads to plans! *Shakes Fist*

So more chatter!

Zach said Toad and Blob are overdue. I heard it dammit! You can't deny it now!

@ Gillbob

I will verify that what you said is true. :yes:

Was it worth a mention here? :no:

Am I giving you a hard time? :yes:

:P

@ Groundhog

Was this in the first half or the second? I missed the first half/slide show, Zach gave me a private screening and may have left something out. Although, I think there were 3 or 4 surprises he did let slip. :thumbsup:

And I totally agree about DST. But the guys at the actual DST booth had NO enthusiasm for the product/show. :(

Edited by Onyx_6

Seriously the Brotherhood would be seriously easy to make (as would the Warriors 3 and Enchantress or a Wrecking Crew set)

Blob, Toad, Pyro, Avalanche or take out one or two of the popular members insert Mastermind, Unus the Untouchable, or Destiny, release the two popular members as a TRU exclusive two-pack.

Another plan could be updated Mystique + 3 members, two Toys "R" Us packs. I really just want more X-villains after seeing versions of the Brotherhood being used in the first run of Uncanny X-Force and now in All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men

In other news from the panel that's mostly gone unmentioned... a little girl asked if there was any chance of Princess minimates. Zach said something along the lines of maybe, possibly pending how the Disney Store Peter Pan minimates did...

Flash Forward...

Me, my sister and my best friend were sitting on the train home... like... 7-8 hours later... all exhausted for the day... mostly silent and lethargic... all of a sudden I break the silence out of left field...

"I want some goddamned Disney Princess minimates!"

Completely serious statement... just took a few hours to set in, lol...

Here's the thing. I WANT the Tinkerbell minimate. I'd like Peter Pan and Hook. I'd probably also even like to grab Wendy and Smee. I personally however... don't need Wendy's brothers, a half dozen lost boys, or the pirate ships. The tertiary characters hold less appeal to me, as Peter Pan isn't one of my most favorite Disney movies ever. I'm a HUGE Disney fan overall. But it's not high on my list of movies.

But the figures are strategically peppered throughout the Peter Pan sets in such a way that I'm forced to buy every last one of them to get the good ones that I actually want. (Which I'm sure was completely intentional, and I understand it entirely. From a business standpoint.)

Add to that gigantic Disney Store prices and WELL... I just haven't talked myself into buying them yet. I would. But I haven't.

BUT... I would love... love love... love love love... a collection of Disney Princess minimates. I would buy every last one of them.

I'd love classic Disney too, like Mickey and Donald. I'd love Pixar characters. I'd love... to have an allstar Disney roster, of minimates. Love love love it.

I had never really thought about the possibilities before the little girl asked. I'd seen the Pan minimates, but got so caught up in the sea of Lost Boys that I lost sight of all the OTHER Disney possibilities... until that little girl tipped me off.

And NOW... because I'm thinking about it... I just want a damned minimate Disney World.

That said, I feel compelled to go buy all the Peter Pan ones next time I get to a Disney Store to hopefully do my small part in boosting sales/the chances of that happening.

I kinda feel like Peter Pan was a bad place to start to be honest. It's a bit specific and dated. I assume it was chosen to appeal to boys... but as said, I feel like it's a bit specific, as well as a bit dated. I don't really know many little boys these days who geek out for Peter Pan. But then, I haven't been a kid for ages, so I could be wrong. I almost feel like a general Disney Allstars set would have been better... but probably also more complicated to license.

How are those doing Zach?

In any event, give that little girl her wish! Or a job. Or something. I totally... totally do... want a minimate Disney World now. If you made like. the Epcot ball, or Cinderella's Castle. Or a monorail. Or rides. This idea... it blows my mind a little. I realize it's ambitious and huge, and likely to never happen, but still... I'm in love with the idea.

But at the very least yeah, I'd buy up a couple princess boxed sets in a heartbeat.

*Manliest Post Ever*

Edited by Gillbob316