• Dire Wraiths
    • HAMMER Agents
    • Madrox the Multiple Man (Classic)
    • Mandroids
    • Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

Zach, I was wondering, does Spider-Man 2099 count as a Spidey version in DST's eyes? I know he's got the name, but his primary color is different, and I think one of the biggest identifiers to the general public for Spider-Man are the big white eyes which 2099 doesn't have. I was just wondering because I think a dark metallic blue 2099 'mate would look really cool. Throw him in with a new Spider-Man villain and I win, you win, America wins. For America Zach.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh, if we're being perfectly honest here... I'd like a Bag-man and will keep up my sig until I get one or ALL the other sigs go away. But if he's in this poll I wouldn't vote for him, I have to assume there's a cooler everything then Bag-man... but c'mon Zach! you guys made TWO versions of white Psylocke for TRU (two versions of Asian Psylocke, sure, but I've never seen anything other then old comics with white Psylocke, are kids really clamoring for white Psylocke collectables these days?), you telling me in wave 20 or whatever when you need one filler character you can't squeeze in Bag-man?

Hey, I'm not telling you anything -- just that a one-off costume from 40+ years ago, one that never even appeared on a cover, is a tough sell, even if it is Spider-Man in a Fantastic Four uniform (not that you could tell). I can't imagine how we'd package him, and we'll probably never make him. Sorry, the gloves (and bag) are off; I'd personally rather see Forbush Man.

And Betsy Braddock was caucasian for a long time -- 14 years or so. Considering how excited everyone is about the Outback X-Men series, one of those white Psylockes is probably highly appreciated right now.

Well, it's not forty plus years ago! It's more like... er, thirty years ago? is that right? God, I'm getting too old for this.:unsure:

Anyhow... I'd just say that it's one of the more memorable bits from one of the more memorable eras of Spidey's publishing history; I mean, here we are 30 years later and people are still asking about it. That particular issue's been reprinted a lot (as it's a key part of the black costume/Venom story), and Spider-Man was selling a lot of comics back in those days. I'd say that it's a much more memorable part of Spider-lore then, say, the House of M costume, or the insulated costume, or the Web Armor costume, or the Big Time costume, or the Future Foundation....

Of course, I know the counter-argument: those costumes all look like Spider-Man. And you're right; I don't think it would make too much sense to include that figure in a 2-pack. But in a 4-pack, like a Spidey Through the Ages set? Oh hell yeah.

BTW, final point: I know you hate it when we do this, but Hasbro's releasing him in Marvel Universe. I know that doesn't really affect what you guys do, but it does speak to the viability of that outfit.

And if Luke does make bags, I'll buy one; just make sure you make a Kick Me sign decal!:thumbsup:

The problem with a Spidey Through the Ages set is that it would need to have the classic red/blue costume and the black costume, as these are the most recognized/iconic looks for him that casual buyers would gravitate towards. I would buy this set in a heartbeat if the other 2 were say Bag Man and an updated 2099, but I don't know if DST would consider these to be the most important costumes to include in such a set.

Throw in some new web-shooting hands for both red/blue and black suit, and some symbiote tendrils for black suit Spidey. Both could use a unique base and new weblines too.

An updated 2099 is a no-brainer, and I wouldn't mind another shot at the Iron Spidey suit, using the metallic paints they have been using on Iron Man and the legs we never got with the first one.

Zach, if you packaged Amazing Bagman like this version of FF Spidey...

What_If%3F_Newer_Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_1.jpg

Everyone would still recognise him as Spiderman and you could also put a paper bag and flesh feet in there too.

Problem solved!

I'll expect him to be in Wave 51 now.

The problem with a Spidey Through the Ages set is that it would need to have the classic red/blue costume and the black costume, as these are the most recognized/iconic looks for him that casual buyers would gravitate towards. I would buy this set in a heartbeat if the other 2 were say Bag Man and an updated 2099, but I don't know if DST would consider these to be the most important costumes to include in such a set.

They would only need an iconic Spidey (and really only one) if they released it through TRU like the Cap set. Both the Wolverine and Iron Man TTA sets avoided those characters' iconic looks. To me, TTA sets are perfect for more obscure costumes over important ones.

Sigh. Yes, it's a 90s X-Factor Wave. Val Cooper and Random are the TRU Exclusives. Yadda yadda yadda. :rolleyes:

i would so buy this

I'm ashamed to say how all over this set I would be, too. Although I might go this route, instead...

Comic shop

Havok/Polaris

Bulked-up Strong Guy/Val Cooper

Quicksilver/Multiple Man

Avengers-green Quicksilver/Multiple Man

TRU

Toad/Bulked-up Blob

Forge/Banshee (blue and yellow)

X-Factor Wolfsbane/Purifier

X-Force Wolfsbane/Purifier

Con Exclusive Boxset

Therapist Doc Samson

Mystique

Sabertooth

Random

I also remember i few what if stories that had a mutated Spidey I think

There was a guy who tried to use a page from the Darkhold to give himself powers like Spider-Man... and wound up being transformed into a pretty much exact copy of the cartoon Man-Spider. But the two stories MiniFiend mentioned are pretty much as close to that exact transformation as Peter has ever gotten.

Cannon or no, it's a neat look and I woudn't turn my nose up at it.