• Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wolverine we used is pretty high-profile, surprised we haven't made it. (Cue one of you guessing the exact look. 3... 2...)

There are only 2 things I can think of as "high-profile" variations of Wolverine that we haven't gotten yet.

Weapon X Wolverine

Wolverine_Weapon_X_1.jpg

Adamantium removal Wolverine

tmpulaeAs.jpg

I'm 100% sure Zach's comment is referring to the Weapon X look, which is long overdue and should have been part of that Ages set, but if it isn't, the adamantium removal version is the only "battle damaged" Wolverine variant I hope we ever get. Those Venom tendrils from the upcoming TTA set could easily be repainted silver!

The post adamantium, bandana wearin', feral, dog-faced Wolverine, while lasting several years longer than it should have, is not a "high-profile" look for him at all.

"Great minds" and all that, Hellpop! :thumbsup:

Edited by youbastards

We have a Thing in the FF tank top... sure he looks a little underweight by comparison to new Thing, but I'm not sure I want to buy every already produce Thing variation again on the larger body size. Black and Red "screw you Reed and Johny" costume Thing would be welcome.

But if Commander Rogers is not a Cap variant because he lacks the distictive mask and either Captain or America in his name, locigally that would mean Ben Grim would not count as a Thing variant. Again, this is purely from a marketing perspective. But by the same token, if Sue is Sue no matter what degree of invisibility she's portrayed in, would a "Flame Off" Johnny Storm, still in the distinctive FF costume, count as a Human Torch variation or a different character?

Like hp, who I'm told "get's it", I am not trying to pot stir, just trying to understand the rules a little better.

At this point, DST could just package a pair of Thing hands how they've been shown for the past 2 releases an that's it in the box. As long as they match the paint on the Best of Thing, I'd scoop up a few. :biggrin:

You and your Thing hands! You need an "I'm with Thing hands" banner!:lol:

We have a Thing in the FF tank top... sure he looks a little underweight by comparison to new Thing, but I'm not sure I want to buy every already produce Thing variation again on the larger body size. Black and Red "screw you Reed and Johny" costume Thing would be welcome.

But if Commander Rogers is not a Cap variant because he lacks the distictive mask and either Captain or America in his name, locigally that would mean Ben Grim would not count as a Thing variant. Again, this is purely from a marketing perspective. But by the same token, if Sue is Sue no matter what degree of invisibility she's portrayed in, would a "Flame Off" Johnny Storm, still in the distinctive FF costume, count as a Human Torch variation or a different character?

Like hp, who I'm told "get's it", I am not trying to pot stir, just trying to understand the rules a little better.

Yes, I think that's true, we wouldn't see a Ben Grimm figure on his own. Now, before y'all pull out the design sheet for the Ben Grimm figure from the Secret Wars box set, keep in mind that the rules are a little more flexible for a box set. I would think Johnny in his FF uni would pass, but not in civilian clothes. The big question I have is Amazing Bag-Man: Peter Parker is clearly recognized in a way Steve Rogers isn't, and he is wearing an FF uniform, so it's not like he's in street clothes, but it sure isn't recognizable as "Spider-Man" to a casual buyer. I really hope that's not the case, since that's easily my most wanted potential Spidey-variant (assuming Spider-Ham counts as a separate character).

Take it from he who gets it!:thumbsup:

At this point, DST could just package a pair of Thing hands how they've been shown for the past 2 releases an that's it in the box. As long as they match the paint on the Best of Thing, I'd scoop up a few. :biggrin:

You and your Thing hands! You need an "I'm with Thing hands" banner!:lol:

Ha! I DO need a Thing hands banner!

We've been losin' out on those and they'd really tie the figure together!

In fact, pack a set of the new Hulk hands w/fingers in there that match the paint color of the Series 43 Hulk and I'll be set! :whistling:

I'd also be keen on an updated Thing in the "4" tank-top, the red/black jumpsuit from right after Secret Wars or a super-spiky version. And any underneath parts to reveal Ben Grimm would be fantastic.

Edited by Mystery Man

The big question I have is Amazing Bag-Man: Peter Parker is clearly recognized in a way Steve Rogers isn't, and he is wearing an FF uniform, so it's not like he's in street clothes, but it sure isn't recognizable as "Spider-Man" to a casual buyer. I really hope that's not the case, since that's easily my most wanted potential Spidey-variant (assuming Spider-Ham counts as a separate character).

If I'm understanding it all correctly, then the Amazing Bag-Man would only be possible in a Spidey themed boxed set.

Spider-Ham would be available with some eggs and a side of hashbrowns.

I honestly think Rogers is pretty recognizable as an alternate Cap. He's wearing blue and red, has a big star on his chest and carries the energy shield. I mean one of the movie Caps just had a blue army helmet with an "A" on it.

Just label it Cmdr. Rogers (Captain America) or something.

I think the hair being split is this: when Steve was directing SHIELD as Cmdr. Rogers (at least at first), he specifically wasn't Captain America, Bucky was. I'm not sure whether he still uses that persona in tandem with the official Cap mantle now that he has it back.

Edited by Lobsterman

I honestly think Rogers is pretty recognizable as an alternate Cap. He's wearing blue and red, has a big star on his chest and carries the energy shield. I mean one of the movie Caps just had a blue army helmet with an "A" on it.

Just label it Cmdr. Rogers (Captain America) or something.

As the Rock would say... it doesn't MATTER what you think!:biggrin:

I agree with ya, 'cat, but it's not what we think, it's what DST thinks, and Zach's made it very clear that Commander Rogers isn't considered a Captain America variant (he hasn't made it clear that Nomad would fall in the same group, but probably). He also pointed out that they might not even be allowed to label that hypothetical figure "Captain America" depending on Marvel's take (I don't think the Hasbro figure was called Captain America, for what it's worth). Anyway, we can go back and forth on this all we want, but at the end of the day, it's DST's call, and their spokesman's been pretty clear (and upfront) on the matter.

We had a LOOOOOOOOONG back and forth with Zach on this in another thread.... can't remember which one, but it's the one where we all thought that Rogers/Falcon/Zemo/Winter Soldier would make a natural box set, and Zach disagreed. Believe me, we don't want to revisit the matter any more.:)

I agree with ya, 'cat, but it's not what we think, it's what DST thinks, and Zach's made it very clear that Commander Rogers isn't considered a Captain America variant (he hasn't made it clear that Nomad would fall in the same group, but probably). He also pointed out that they might not even be allowed to label that hypothetical figure "Captain America" depending on Marvel's take (I don't think the Hasbro figure was called Captain America, for what it's worth). Anyway, we can go back and forth on this all we want, but at the end of the day, it's DST's call, and their spokesman's been pretty clear (and upfront) on the matter.

I wasn't saying he should be considered a variant in this poll, obviously that's already been decided. I was just disagreeing with Zach saying that he wasn't recognizable as Cap. Labeling aside, if they're trying to fill a designated "Cap" spot in a future wave I think Rogers is a recognizable alternate version -- as much as that movie Cap or Secret War Cap anyway -- because of the shield, star, colours. That's all.

As for Hasbro, the Legends packaging was labeled "Steve Rogers" but the Universe packaging was labeled "Steve Rogers" in small type with "Captain America" in much bigger type underneath it (but then his stand was labeled "Commander Rogers" :wacko:)...

Basically, if we put a Cap mask on Commander Rogers, he'd be a Cap variant, but badly off model. If he's off model, Marvel may veto it.

All of which says that this costume is going to be in a boxed set, or an exclusive, niche market, 2 pack if it ever sees mate form.

Best bet is to wait anxiously for Marcus Johnston to get his minimate, then do a head swap. Cause we all know Marcus is going to be a big, big hit with thousands clamoring for a mate of him.

(Am I the only one who thinks Marcus' middle name is probably Leroy? LEEEEROOOOY JOHNSTON!!!! :teehee: )

I'm 100% sure Zach's comment is referring to the Weapon X look, which is long overdue and should have been part of that Ages set, but if it isn't, the adamantium removal version is the only "battle damaged" Wolverine variant I hope we ever get. Those Venom tendrils from the upcoming TTA set could easily be repainted silver!

The post adamantium, bandana wearin', feral, dog-faced Wolverine, while lasting several years longer than it should have, is not a "high-profile" look for him at all.

"Great minds" and all that, Hellpop! :thumbsup:

I considered Weapon X, and while I think we still need one with a helmet (packaged on the side, to show off the hair), I left him off because we already got one in the TTA set. And I consider dogface Wolverine more high-profile than adamantium Wolverine, for longevity alone.

Might I ask a question? Why would an unmasked look like Patch count as a Wolverine variant, but an unmasked Steve Rogers would not count as Cap? Is it simply because Wolvie's look outside his costume is so much more distinct and readily identifiable? Please know that I ask this in all seriousness, and that I'm not trying to stir the pot; I've accepted your rationale that Commander Rogers isn't a Cap variant; I'm just curious why Patch is a Wolverine variant. Not that it really matters, becaus e there's almost no way I'd be voting for Wolverine anyway.:)

Yes, Wolverine is as famous (perhaps even more famous, now) with his mask off as with his mask on, thanks to his hair, muttonchops and Hugh Jackman. Ironically, though, the eyepatch might throw customers off. It's a good disguise after all!

I am not the official rule-keeper, but I think anyone in an FF costume is recognizable as an FF member -- including the amazing Bag-Man, BTW. But without indications of their super powers, they lose a lot of their mass appeal. That's why we alternate offering Basic Sue and basic Johnny with powered up versions.

Yes, I think that's true, we wouldn't see a Ben Grimm figure on his own. Now, before y'all pull out the design sheet for the Ben Grimm figure from the Secret Wars box set, keep in mind that the rules are a little more flexible for a box set. I would think Johnny in his FF uni would pass, but not in civilian clothes. The big question I have is Amazing Bag-Man: Peter Parker is clearly recognized in a way Steve Rogers isn't, and he is wearing an FF uniform, so it's not like he's in street clothes, but it sure isn't recognizable as "Spider-Man" to a casual buyer. I really hope that's not the case, since that's easily my most wanted potential Spidey-variant (assuming Spider-Ham counts as a separate character).

Take it from he who gets it!:thumbsup:

Ben Grimm is definitely less recognizable because 1. he's rarely seen, 2. he doesn't have a famous outfit and 3. his big screen counterpart is bald. I think Peter Parker is not distinctively recognizable outside of his jacket-and-camera look, and even then he could be anybody, which is why we package him with his mask on whenever possible. (Or pack him with Spidey, a la the upcoming movie.) So Bag-Man would get the same pop an FF suit Johnny or Ben would: at best, he's a nonspecific FF member.

All of which begs the question: if a character marketed by a comic book company owned by a global multimedia conglomerate hoping to capitalize on cross-platform synergy through multiple consumer channels isn't instantly recognizable by the target demographic in a cross-sell purchase scenario, is he a real character at all?!?

All of which begs the question: if a character marketed by a comic book company owned by a global multimedia conglomerate hoping to capitalize on cross-platform synergy through multiple consumer channels isn't instantly recognizable by the target demographic in a cross-sell purchase scenario, is he a real character at all?!?

the Flash looks in a mirror everyday and ask himself this very question.