UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

Without trying to sound like a braggart (but doing it none-the-less), I feel like I get far less credit than good ol' Miry does for comic knowledge... mainly because I don't see the stuff as quickly as he does and he beats me to the punch. :)

As for Miry being the de facto comics guru around here... yeah, I sometimes bristle about that too, but he's earned his rep. And he takes the time to write exhaustive, detailed posts, which I'd never want to do. So thumbs up to him. :thumbsup:

It has never been my intention to monopolize the title of comics guru. I have lot of Marvel comics information jammed in my head, and I'm something of a teacher at heart. I've said before, and I'll say again, if I get too obnoxious with it, PLEASE let me know. The line between sharing what you know and discussion killing jack ass is thin, and I do worry I cross it more than I should. (unless I'm trying to be a jack ass, but that's another matter entirely.)

And on the subject of Miry... another thumbs up for saying EXACTLY what I mean in comparing our community here with AFI specifically and other toy boards in general. I used to be fairly active over there, but finally the JLU doom and gloom wore me out. Here, though, I think our criticism is almost always constructive, and I don't think there's anyone that doesn't believe DST is trying to make the best toys possible. It's a much cheerier place. :biggrin:

I was on AFI for a while, Siebretron, TNI, lived on Fwoosh strong for a few years, lots of places. This place is different. There's a feeling of strong community, yet still welcoming to new people. And like you said, 90% of the regulars feel that DST is trying to make the best toys they can given present market realities. And oddly, who the 10% are who think they've lost thier minds changes with each release. I have never been anywhere like it.

Proud to count myself a member. And I should note, after my little breakdown, this is the only board I missed, and the only one I came back to.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I really disagree with dr baghead's view that we ARE the same as the JLU collectors on the AFI boards.

DST is waaaay nicer and more respectful to their fanbase than Mattel!

I'm a JLU collector. I've been buying them since the beginning. Mattel's business practices have always been shady. Frequently, to get ONE new character, you had to buy a 3-pack with two rereleases that were almost always the same deco! But if you wanted a different deco on that character (Batman, Superman, etc) it was only available as a single pack! As I said, I bought one of every new character from the beginning, and I have multiple tubs of multple Batman, Superman, etc, etc that are EXACTLY the same! I've been buying Minimates since the beginning too, and it's a FAR different story - very few duplicates to get new characters, and now DST's policy is to put variants with army builders! And most of my Spideys, Thors, Caps, IM's are noticably different from each other, with rare exceptions!

Lets take the upcoming TRU 13 wave for example. Boom Boom & Rictor and Moonstar & Magma. To get those, you only need to buy 2 packs and you get everything new! You are not forced to buy a Cap or Spidey at all! And they are lesser-known characters, fan requested to complete some teams! Every other company would force a "heavy-hitter" character in there, but NOT DST!

And when Star Trek ended, did DST force you to pay $50 to buy him in a 3-pack with 2 figures you already owned? NO they gave him away for FREE at SDCC, only you had to *gasp* customize a minimate on the spot with parts *they* provided!!! (Here, play with our toys for a minute and we'll give you a free one!!!). Plus, how many promos have DST given out? Compared to *NONE* from Mattel (employee-only Christmas figure doesn't count!)

As for DST jacking up the price to scalp us when the line ends? I just don't see that happening at all. Of course, how hard would it be for the uber-talented customizers here to just make their own and have the artwork available to all to print their own decals? :biggrin:

If you really look at the character selection over the past ten years, you should have faith that DST will eventually get to every character on our most wanted lists. They have to keep putting out the main characters to keep the line going at retail - that's pure economics. As Stan Lee once said, every comic book was *somebody's* first comic book! But just look at all DST has done for us! Granted, you can't give everyone everything they want all up front, or else what would keep them coming back? I *KNOW* in my heart that when the line finally ends (which I hope is NEVER!!) that there will be officially-released version of Kang, Falcon, Winter Soldier, etc, etc.

If DST treated it's fanbase the way Mattel treats theirs, I'd be singing a different tune. But I really feel DST goes the extra mile for us, and for that I'll follow them until the end! Again, look at how many free minimates they've handed out at SDCC alone in the past ten years! I've NEVER seen Mattel give out free toys, especially ones available at retail!

Finally, at least minimates can stand up on their own! Most JLU can't stand up at all without a special stand! And for all the rereleases in 2012? The Avengers is going to be HUGE, and they need to keep the main characters available at retail for all the new blood coming in! We will still see fan-focused characters (Thanks DST!), but DST needs to focus on all the new collectors and kids coming in too. Once they're hooked, they are more willing to buy the secondary and tertiary characters, either because they like the characters or because the minimates just look "cool" (or both!). This will only serve to strengthen the line! And THAT is what's most important!!! Let's keep this line going another THIRTY years!

Why can't Minimates become like Hot Wheels, Pez, Lego, etc - strong, proven sellers that every retailer wants to carry? (without the shady business practices of Hot Wheels, of course!) But the hope is for Avengers to be the catalyst to get Minimates into the mainstream, and into the national consciousness as a mainstay on every retailers shelves. So, DST is doing everything right in that regard! 2012 is going to be exciting for sure :biggrin:

I've said all along that this place is different. To the point where my mother even recognizes that fact, what with Charity Mates, and our Secret Santa and all the stuff we do not for ourselves but for others. That's so rare guys. And I think part of it may be the fact that we are talking about DST here, a grass roots company. Who many times have you heard Chuck yell at a person? Or take money from pre-orders and then not deliver? Or had to deal with a C&D order? They don't. Our community, while its own entity, is a reflection of a company that is kind and curtious and has a face on it. We just appreciate that, and which to share out love in a way that we all can respect.

Speaking of title roles, I thought North Raider would have been back by now. Must have been a really rough semester.

As Stan Lee once said, every comic book was *somebody's* first comic book!

Truth.

And yeah, you guys are truly a community, from what I've seen, one that helps each other as well as complete strangers.

And I don't think we would ever charge a premium for limited toys -- I think the unproduced figures we've cancelled due to low orders speak to that.

Not to keep us too far off topic, but thinking about JLU for the first time in awhile has actually made me appreciate what we have with Minimates that much more. I used to be a big fan of the line, but eventually I was worn down by the poor quality, the fruitless searching, the endless repacks; NONE of these things are a problem with Minimates the way they were with JLU. Trust me, searching for Minimates at TRU doesn't even come close. It's like a teeth cleaning compared to a root canal.

I really appreciate that, even though we do get the same characters and costumes repeated, we never get the SAME exact figure a second time (not counting the TRU/specialty split). Designs are always being tweaked, new accessories are added, and even in something like the best-of wave we get new faces. So, while I will continue to mock "Cap with a jacket" every chance I get, I'm thankful for the jacket. Sort of.

As much as I would have rather seen Falcon or Black Knight in the Pym spots here, my relationship to this line is different than others, because I know of no other line aside from Bowen Busts or Heroclix that is so clearly committed to bringing obscure characters and fan-favorites to market.

...whereas with a line like Legends it feels so much more finite, and each wave that doesn't contain a favorite character wracks the nerves as the potential end of the line is always around the corner, and there are only so many releases that can be packed into a year.

MiniMates is clearly very healthy, boasts tons of releases a year, and despite the requisite flood of anchor character variants, always manages to spread the love around classic, modern and cinematic origins.

It has never been my intention to monopolize the title of comics guru. I have lot of Marvel comics information jammed in my head, and I'm something of a teacher at heart. I've said before, and I'll say again, if I get too obnoxious with it, PLEASE let me know. The line between sharing what you know and discussion killing jack ass is thin, and I do worry I cross it more than

No, no, no. Not monopolizing at all! I just wish I were around sometimes to answer questions that I know, but my weird work schedule keeps me from being online when most of the posts occur. You're good, man. :) I feel like an asshole now, as it wasn't my meaning to call you out or say anything sour grapes about stuff. I just wish I didn't play so much catch-up with my reading/posting on here, but lousy work does that to me.

Edited by Mystery Man

All good, MM. I was not offended nor upset. I just wanted to say it was not my intention to be the comic guru, and that if I get too obnoxious with the info dispensing, let me know. There was nothing to appologize for.

Wow, we're veering off topic.

Let's see if we can get back on track here...

The Hank GiAnt-Man design featured in this wave has a nice touch I'm glad they kept. See the small red "button" on Hank's belt? The red circle and the square surrounding it are actually the latest model of "Rover", an A.I. controled skyship Pym first debuted in his Dr. Pym days with the WCA. As with the earlier models, Hank kept Rover reduced in size and in this case attached to his belt when he didn't need it. (In the Dr. Pym days, he kept Rover in one of his jump suit pockets) Since Hank had not used his ability to grow and shrink other objects since well before the Gatherers era, there was no confirmation that Hank still possessed that power until he transformed his "beeper" into Rover. Like I said, tiny detail, literally, but I'm glad they kept it.

And Zach... now that the line is formally annouced can you let us know what, if anything, is going to be the difference between Wave 44 Cap and previous versions beyond a new tampo?

I recall "Rover" quite well. I also really liked the bug-eyed helmet that he wore during this era thanks to Perez.

As much as I love that Iron Man, I wish they wouldn't sculpt that torso cap into one piece. The immovability of the arms is a big detractor when I look at newer minimates. Lots of "shoulda/woulda" stuff comes up in my mind when I see 'em.

And Zach... now that the line is formally annouced can you let us know what, if anything, is going to be the difference between Wave 44 Cap and previous versions beyond a new tampo?

Not seeing too much different on the design sheets, but I believe they've also changed a bit since then. Best-of Cap gets a belt, 44 Cap gets a harness, MvC3S3 gets a belt. Tampos are fairly different, though. Face tampos should align with the masks better on 44 and Best Of, I think they're a touch off in the prototype photo. Faces are added in by the designer at that stage.

Oh.:mellow:

I was hopin' for maybe an alternate shield or something. Cap went back to the triangular shield, then the energy shield shortly after the Heroes Returned. Adding either would have been nice, but it's probably waaaay too late now. Thanks for checkin', Zach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was just looking at waves 43 and 44 again and thinking that these may be the waves when I stop buying a complete set with variant. But the fact that I have the 41 (Since GR wave didn't release) variants that have come before means I will have trouble stopping myself from getting all of both these waves. Each wave only has 3 minimates that I am really interested in. The dilemma of wanting to be a completist vs buying something I don't particularly want has become larger lately.

Maybe they will show stuff at NYTF that will be must have complete waves and then I will just have to get all of these waves so that I don't have a hole in the collection.

Edited by gambitron

Yeah - i've been chasing Tarantula for a while for that mask. He does not come up often on eBay & when he does, he's a bit too much for me to justify paying for. Especially since it's just the mask i want.

Why is it that he is such a rarity? I remember X3 jean was that way for a while, but she seems to have become quite abundant recently. . . yet T seems to remain elusive.

Yeah - i've been chasing Tarantula for a while for that mask. He does not come up often on eBay & when he does, he's a bit too much for me to justify paying for. Especially since it's just the mask i want.

Why is it that he is such a rarity? I remember X3 jean was that way for a while, but she seems to have become quite abundant recently. . . yet T seems to remain elusive.

Might be because he's a separate character. X3 Jean is a cool looking minimate yes... but Tarantula is a character that was released in limited quantities, is distinct enough for people to know that he's a distinct character (Unlike the Spider-Woman variant for example where she may as well be same person different costumes) and he was released in limited numbers. In other words people want him because he's not a variant, he's a limited release character. Know what I mean by that?