UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to tell ya, guys, but I'm pretty sure that's not Liefeld but a clone... might even be Herb Trimpe, from the period where he "reinvented" himself, and you'd see letters saying "this Trimpe kid's great! Where'd you find him?"

And yet, we are celebrating this era with Shatterstar, Cannonball, Rictor, Boom Boom Minimates... <_<

Hate to tell ya, guys, but I'm pretty sure that's not Liefeld but a clone... might even be Herb Trimpe, from the period where he "reinvented" himself, and you'd see letters saying "this Trimpe kid's great! Where'd you find him?"

And yet, we are celebrating this era with Shatterstar, Cannonball, Rictor, Boom Boom Minimates... <_<

Don't quote me, but I think the artist was M.C. Wyman, from when Roy Thomas took over Thor after DeFalco left - two creators not in step with the Image era.

Don't quote me, but I think the artist was M.C. Wyman, from when Roy Thomas took over Thor after DeFalco left - two creators not in step with the Image era.

Wyman's a good guess. And the script does read like latter-day Roy Thomas. Which is to say... not good. Sorry, Roy.

Anyway, (slightly) back on topic... or even farther off topic, depending on your perspective... I just spent twenty minutes or so over at AFI, which is the unofficial home for Justice League Unlimited collectors, because I was curious to see what the reaction was to the news that Mattel might release the last few JLU three packs for $50 a pop. Wow. I really think. compared to some of the other areas in the action figure community, we're a pretty darn supportive and forgiving bunch. Zack might not agree right now, and I can understand that. :biggrin:

Yep. M.C. Wyman in the Roy Thomas era. And it Thomas wasn't following DeFalco, no poor Roy got to follow Jim Starlin. Jim decided to take Thor in a cosmic direction... and drive him completely and utterly mad. If that sounds like fun... it wasn't. Not even a little. And, shock and surprise, Adam Warlock and Thanos were needed to stop Thor. SIGH. Roy's new direction did nothing to aleviate things. Oh, and after this, we rolled into a powerless Thor, then Onslaught, then Liefield. Ironically, Liefield's Thor design wasn't that bad. No really. Not nearly as bad as the Wyman thing.

Yep. M.C. Wyman in the Roy Thomas era. And it Thomas wasn't following DeFalco, no poor Roy got to follow Jim Starlin. Jim decided to take Thor in a cosmic direction... and drive him completely and utterly mad. If that sounds like fun... it wasn't. Not even a little. And, shock and surprise, Adam Warlock and Thanos were needed to stop Thor. SIGH. Roy's new direction did nothing to aleviate things. Oh, and after this, we rolled into a powerless Thor, then Onslaught, then Liefield. Ironically, Liefield's Thor design wasn't that bad. No really. Not nearly as bad as the Wyman thing.

Boy, I vaguely recall paging through the first issue of the post-DeFalco Thor and thinking it very odd that they'd spent all this time bringing Thor back only for him to be insane, but I had no idea that it was Starlin on that book. Was Deodato the artist, or was he later?

Anyway, the thing with Thor, like a lot of the second-tier Marvel characters (and movie or no movie, Thor's second-tier), is that there often wasn't a lot of attention paid to them, so the comics aren't really all that good. Even in the Silver Age, Lee and Kirby launched Thor but soon turned the book over to Stan's brother and other lesser artists until Stan and Jack decided to refocus on it. Really, you only need to read the Simonson and JMS stuff, I think, and maybe DeFalco and Jurgens, if you really like Thor.

Boy, I vaguely recall paging through the first issue of the post-DeFalco Thor and thinking it very odd that they'd spent all this time bringing Thor back only for him to be insane, but I had no idea that it was Starlin on that book. Was Deodato the artist, or was he later?

Anyway, the thing with Thor, like a lot of the second-tier Marvel characters (and movie or no movie, Thor's second-tier), is that there often wasn't a lot of attention paid to them, so the comics aren't really all that good. Even in the Silver Age, Lee and Kirby launched Thor but soon turned the book over to Stan's brother and other lesser artists until Stan and Jack decided to refocus on it. Really, you only need to read the Simonson and JMS stuff, I think, and maybe DeFalco and Jurgens, if you really like Thor.

*ahem*

Gotta respectfully disagree. Yes, there were some weak non-Kirby & Lee stories as the "Journey Into Mystery" stories started off featuring Thor. The Carbon-Copy Man debacle from issue #90 comes to mind instantly. While the art wasn't all-Kirby from the start, it was much better than the writing being done in those same stories. However, once the title found it's footing, roughly around #105, it killed it through the 1960's up until Kirby left Marvel because Stan was a poo-poo head.

Anything that those creators you mentioned or any others did (and I'm not discounting their merits one bit) was thanks to and based strongly on concepts and threads that Kirby & Lee provided, either as later creators fleshed out new stories and approaches or revisited past ones for a pleasant romp. While I can agree that the beginning of the Silver Age Thor stories took a little while to solidify, it did find it's place and kicked all kinds of wonderful ass. Even if you just look at the art and completely disregard the dialogue, the quality of Kirby can't be beat... even when muddled by one particular less-than-steller inker.

I believe that to skip over the origins of the title is to do both yourself, the stories and the draftsmen who crafted them a dis-service. You're missing out and, sadly, you may not even know it.

*ahem*

Gotta respectfully disagree. Yes, there were some weak non-Kirby & Lee stories as the "Journey Into Mystery" stories started off featuring Thor. The Carbon-Copy Man debacle from issue #90 comes to mind instantly. While the art wasn't all-Kirby from the start, it was much better than the writing being done in those same stories. However, once the title found it's footing, roughly around #105, it killed it through the 1960's up until Kirby left Marvel because Stan was a poo-poo head.

Anything that those creators you mentioned or any others did (and I'm not discounting their merits one bit) was thanks to and based strongly on concepts and threads that Kirby & Lee provided, either as later creators fleshed out new stories and approaches or revisited past ones for a pleasant romp. While I can agree that the beginning of the Silver Age Thor stories took a little while to solidify, it did find it's place and kicked all kinds of wonderful ass. Even if you just look at the art and completely disregard the dialogue, the quality of Kirby can't be beat... even when muddled by one particular less-than-steller inker.

I believe that to skip over the origins of the title is to do both yourself, the stories and the draftsmen who crafted them a dis-service. You're missing out and, sadly, you may not even know it.

Well, I'm not missing out because I've READ them (in Essentials form), and I did not enjoy them as much as I have a lot of other Silver Age comics. Which surprised me, because I expected to be blown away by them, but was not. The early non-Lee/Kirby books were a serious slog to get through. And, while the book noticeably improved once Stan and Jack gave it more attention, but it never lived up to my expectations.

However, I maintain that the Lee/Kirby team was overrated- HEAR ME OUT!- because Stan and Jack's sensibilities never meshed. Lee wanted character drama and internal conflict, while Kirby was about action and pathos on the grand stage. I prefer Lee with Ditko, Kirby on his own, and Byrne's FF and Simonson's Thor. Just my preference.

Finally, I agree 100% with your final statement... a sentiment lost on most comic book fans these days. Modern comic book "decompression" storytelling has made it impossible for most fans to appreciate the great comics of the 80's, much less the Bronze, Silver, and Golden Ages. Which is a true shame.

*ahem*

Well, I'm not missing out because I've READ them (in Essentials form), and I did not enjoy them as much as I have a lot of other Silver Age comics. Which surprised me, because I expected to be blown away by them, but was not. The early non-Lee/Kirby books were a serious slog to get through. And, while the book noticeably improved once Stan and Jack gave it more attention, but it never lived up to my expectations.

However, I maintain that the Lee/Kirby team was overrated- HEAR ME OUT!- because Stan and Jack's sensibilities never meshed. Lee wanted character drama and internal conflict, while Kirby was about action and pathos on the grand stage. I prefer Lee with Ditko, Kirby on his own, and Byrne's FF and Simonson's Thor. Just my preference.

Finally, I agree 100% with your final statement... a sentiment lost on most comic book fans these days. Modern comic book "decompression" storytelling has made it impossible for most fans to appreciate the great comics of the 80's, much less the Bronze, Silver, and Golden Ages. Which is a true shame.

You may find with time that the Kirby/Lee stuff will grow on you. I know that some stuff didn't translate as well (to me) in Essentials when I was a devout purchaser of that line. Some stuff really translates better in color.

As a Marvel fan from birth who grew up reading his dad's worn copies of Amazing Spidey, FF, Tales of Suspense, etc. I continually find it difficult to read SA stuff knowing how poorly Lee treated Kirby, et. all at times. Definetely have to remove myself from the story in that sense when I read them...

... and I read that stuff a LOT. For example, I purchase both Marvel Masterworks and Omnibus volumes, even when I may be re-purchasing material. Fantastic Four volumes 1-13 (at last count) and both the Omniboo's. Without trying to sound like a braggart (but doing it none-the-less), I feel like I get far less credit than good ol' Miry does for comic knowledge... mainly because I don't see the stuff as quickly as he does and he beats me to the punch. :)

I digress... that you at least have given it a try keeps you an cool-cat in my book, even if you didn't dig 'em. The modern decompression in comics really bugs me as well. I'll tell you one Silver Age series you may not want to peruse, and that's X-Men. Once Roy Thomas hit the book (starting with #20) it reeeeeally was a drag. That's several opinions I've found, not just mine. Regardless, at times it's still possible to find stuff in that material that can be enjoyed if you suspend your disbelief.

Edited by Mystery Man

Anyway, (slightly) back on topic... or even farther off topic, depending on your perspective... I just spent twenty minutes or so over at AFI, which is the unofficial home for Justice League Unlimited collectors, because I was curious to see what the reaction was to the news that Mattel might release the last few JLU three packs for $50 a pop. Wow. I really think. compared to some of the other areas in the action figure community, we're a pretty darn supportive and forgiving bunch. Zack might not agree right now, and I can understand that. :biggrin:

I honestly don’t know how “supportive and forgiving” we are compared to the JLU fans on AFi, there they bitch and moan Mattel is screwing them over with countless Batmen and Supermen when they want new characters, and here we bitch and moan that DST is screwing us over with countless Thors and Captain Americas when we want KANG!!!! and some other new characters maybe but mostly KANG!!!!!! for some reason...

The only difference is they hate the company intermediary who takes time to answer their questions and we love Zack! And that we have new product coming... people here get ANGRY when DC Direct sells a new block or vinyl line, like a dumped dude watching his ex who’s moved on through a telescope, and think DC is going to change it’s mind an toss money at DST to make more minimates. If we were told tomorrow “Line’s done! Ten years, what a run! $100 for each of the last waves, no changes, so if want the Ant Men, Movie Maria Hill/Hawkeye/Redacted to complete your collections that’ll be $300, and no we won’t smush all the new characters into one set of 8, no budget.” We’d become just as craven, hate filled, insulting, or defeated-and-willing-to-pay-anything-to-see-it-to-the-end as AFi is now.

We are not the JLU fans betters, we ARE them... just like Kang and Doctor Doom and Vision 2.0 are all the same guy from a different points in the timeline (TROLLING!) They are us from our future where the styled superheroes we love will no longer exist and we are them from their past, where we complain about headliners and big box exclusives not even comprehending the line we love could “end”...

... we want KANG!!!! and some other new characters maybe but mostly KANG!!!!!! for some reason...

I don't know how long everybody else has been around, but I was a frequent poster back on the OLD message board before this one and I've always wanted and produced my opinion that I wanted Kang incredibly badly.

The only difference is they hate the company intermediary who takes time to answer their questions and we love Zack! And that we have new product coming... people here get ANGRY when DC Direct sells a new block or vinyl line, like a dumped dude watching his ex who’s moved on through a telescope, and think DC is going to change it’s mind an toss money at DST to make more minimates.

Actually, with DC having rebooted it's universe I'm feeling much, much better about them not making minimates anymore. They've really lost me with this move. I tried 2 months of DCnU and have only kept a handful compared to what I'd normally like to read. A monthly Firestorm book would've been the bee's knee's for me a year ago, but now I won't pay my money. But that's a whole 'nother story... ;)

... just like Kang and Doctor Doom and Vision 2.0 are all the same guy from a different points in the timeline ...

You forgot Rama Tut, Immortus, the Scarlet Centurion and even Victor Timely... all of which I want a minimate of AFTER Kang! :lol:

No... not really, Dr. A few key differences I've noticed on various boards-

A definite devide between the appogoligist (usually lead by the mods desparate not to get cut off from the toy company rep) and the haters. Hang around most toy boards and you'll see the same ones singing the same songs over and over. Here... well the sides are less destinct. There may be a lot of "pass" on one wave, then the same people will be imdiatly enthusiastic for another. We have people who have taken some very consistent positions, but there are no "sides" yet.

And there's no "company hate" on here. Right now there's a lot of Cap/Thor fatigue here, a few years back it was Spidey/Wolverine fatigue. But nothing, nothing like the venom and hatred you see directed at Mattle on AFI, or Hasbro on every TF board. And I don't think that's just because they are further down the "road" than we are. I think that here lies a group of dedicated, passionate fans who are for the most part a reasonable enough bunch to understand that if minimates is going to survive, they have to branch out past catering just to us. We may not always like it, I mean who doesn't like being catered too, but on some level we understand it. We may not like the lowering of details imprinted on the mates, but we understand the reasoning.

And unlike every other toy board I've ever been on, there is not attitude here that to sound smart or cool one must be hyper-critical of every release and treat folks who like them anyway like uneducated fools. And the term "True Fan" isn't being tossed about.

So while I can't speak for minimate fans as a whole, this board and the regulars there on are different enough that I can't see us ever becoming... them.

Edit: and I made it through that whole post without ranting on the difference between Doom and Kang... urge to expound rising... I'd better go to another thread... quickly...

Edited by Mirymate

d

You may find with time that the Kirby/Lee stuff will grow on you. I know that some stuff didn't translate as well (to me) in Essentials when I was a devout purchaser of that line. Some stuff really translates better in color.

As a Marvel fan from birth who grew up reading his dad's worn copies of Amazing Spidey, FF, Tales of Suspense, etc. I continually find it difficult to read SA stuff knowing how poorly Lee treated Kirby, et. all at times. Definetely have to remove myself from the story in that sense when I read them...

... and I read that stuff a LOT. For example, I purchase both Marvel Masterworks and Omnibus volumes, even when I may be re-purchasing material. Fantastic Four volumes 1-13 (at last count) and both the Omniboo's. Without trying to sound like a braggart (but doing it none-the-less), I feel like I get far less credit than good ol' Miry does for comic knowledge... mainly because I don't see the stuff as quickly as he does and he beats me to the punch. :)

I digress... that you at least have given it a try keeps you an cool-cat in my book, even if you didn't dig 'em. The modern decompression in comics really bugs me as well. I'll tell you one Silver Age series you may not want to peruse, and that's X-Men. Once Roy Thomas hit the book (starting with #20) it reeeeeally was a drag. That's several opinions I've found, not just mine. Regardless, at times it's still possible to find stuff in that material that can be enjoyed if you suspend your disbelief.

I actually have a pretty extensive Silver Age collection... I started buying them when I got out of college and had disposable income, though I am a strict low-grade buyer. Personally- and I know this puts me in the VAST majority among fans- I prefer SA DC. I know the stories are goofy, the characters flawless, but I prefer that over Stan's manufactured pathos. Artistically, I much prefer the work of Kane, Swan, Cardy, Infantino, Anderson, et all to Kirby and Ditko. And those characters just click for me, in a way most . Thor, for example, has never done much for me, outside of Walt's hands.

As for Miry being the de facto comics guru around here... yeah, I sometimes bristle about that too, but he's earned his rep. And he takes the time to write exhaustive, detailed posts, which I'd never want to do. So thumbs up to him. :thumbsup:

And on the subject of Miry... another thumbs up for saying EXACTLY what I mean in comparing our community here with AFI specifically and other toy boards in general. I used to be fairly active over there, but finally the JLU doom and gloom wore me out. Here, though, I think our criticism is almost always constructive, and I don't think there's anyone that doesn't believe DST is trying to make the best toys possible. It's a much cheerier place. :biggrin: