UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11686&mode=retail

Whaaaaatt? Drunken hobo Thor? And, um, pissed off Captain America, I guess? That IM is pretty cool, though I can't place the armor, and it's nice to get a modern Ant Man.

And:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11687&mode=retail

PUNT!

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find!

BBTS seem unable to keep things under their hat, of memory serves me right, they've done this before.

I'd be pissed if I were DST, but I'm not, so I'm glad they posted these early.

Edited by Pete

It's the George Perez Iron Man armor -- as an IM fan, I like the look of that fig a lot. The Thor is a Perez style, as well.

The Hank Pym Ant-Man should also come with a Giant-Man helmet, the Perez one, so you can display him either way -- he'll have waist spacers as well.

Zach, can you please give some insight into the 'rhyme and reason' of the Best Of wave? It looks like 4 of those figures are the ones from (or 90% similar to) the Disney Store Heroic Age set (that is still available), the Wolvie has already been re-released in the Heroes & Adversaries set, and Green Goblin just came out in wave 41 and is currently clogging TRU pegs. Yeah, I'll let Sabertooth and Thing slide, but it seems like re-releasing 6 figures that are still easily obtainable is kind of a weird move.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be insulting, just looking for a little insight as to why these characters were picked when characters like Dr Strange or Hercules would just as easily fit into the 'Best Of' category and haven't been around for a few years?

Official announcement for Marvel Minimates Classics now up on the Art Asylum site.

Looks like new faces for the majority of the Minimates - kinda like the Goblin's insane grin. And I like the fact that it's yellow and red for Iron Man instead of gold and red. Crap, I'm gonna have to pick up a few of these...

As for the Avenger-riffic Wave 44, I have no love for the Cap or Thor, Perez-inspired or not. But I like the Heroes Returns Iron Man, and the new Giant-Man. And the Scott Lang Ant-Man is wonderful. And I gladly take anybody's Sentry robots if they don't want them.

But really - we're gonna get the Professor Hulk using the new bulky suit pieces before we get a proper Joe Fixit Minimates? For shame, Diamond. At least tell me the Professor Hulk will come with bunny slippers.

And if Kang is a TRU exclusive, there's gonna be a riot. I'm personally going to try to put together my own gang to flip my local TRU on its roof.

Edited by boyd

Sorry, I'm not trying to be insulting, just looking for a little insight as to why these characters were picked when characters like Dr Strange or Hercules would just as easily fit into the 'Best Of' category and haven't been around for a few years?

The Classics wave was exclusively made for Previews -- they wanted to have an "all-winners" assortment of Minimates so comic shops could offer a selection of popular, recognizable characters to their customers. These are separate from our regular offerings, and meant to be a easy way to introduce new collectors -- and retailers -- to the brand. No offense meant to Strange and Herc, but those were not quite the big guns they wanted.

And FYI, Wave 44 has no direct TRU counterpart -- this line-up of figures is not shared with another wave. I would say TRU Wave 13 is the closest in terms of release dates, and that line-up has zero Avengers in it.

Avengers v3 #1 designs. Niiiiiiiiice!

The Heroes Reborn Armor has been on my list of wanted variants for a while now. One of my top three favorite armors. And an actual bearded Thor, cool. I actually like Thor better with the beard, and since Perez slaps one on the Odinson every chance he gets I'm guessing old George does too. And I'm a well known sucker for Pym variants. This was a short lived, but well liked by me, Perez design reffered to affectionately by the old Avengers Mailing List as GiAnt-Man. In a precursor to AEMH's version, Pym used both Identities at the time. Where as in the new cartoon the helmet completely shrinks away when not needed, in this design the helmet was more form fitting to Hank's head, and the antena and "mandible" would shrink/retract into the helmet when he didn't need them.

Stretching it with Army Builders, LM? It's the freakin' Kree Sentry!! Marvel mainstay since the 60's.

Smart Hulk redo... well okay... the first one sucked, and this certainly looks like an improvement. That is probably my least favorite of Scott Lang's attempts to make the Ant-Man identity his own, but certainly a distinctive look and a valid variant.

Another Cap... Zach, exactly what does this one come with that's going to be different from a jackless Civil War Cap, or the classic heroic age Cap?

Not quiet the Avengers I was hoping for, but not horrible from a lover of Avengers minutia and that time period in comics in general. But... I certainly understand where some of you guys would be turned off by the set.

So, in summation:

1) Strange and Hercules, you are not winners! You have no tiger blood!

2) No Kang for you!

<_<

1. Didn't say that. Perhaps they are the 9th and 10th most winners.

2. Didn't say that either, just that boyd has no reason to attempt to overturn a retail outlet.

Thanks Zach, sorry if I came off as a Lee Burns bitchy internet fanboy! :whistling:

I think having an easily available LCS 'heavy hitter' wave is a great idea for new collectors, it just seems to me that there is a lot of overlap, especially with the Heroic Age set, so there isn't much draw to us, the uber-geeks. Maybe there are some other "yet-to-be-announced" surprises in store to celebrate the 10th Anniversary that will better appease the masses?

Nudge1.jpg

Edited by youbastards

2) No Kang for you!

That's how I interpreted it, too. So, what time works for everyone to start the riots? Morning work for everyone?

2. Didn't say that either, just that boyd has no reason to attempt to overturn a retail outlet.

But I just want to crush the establishment, Zach. Why won't you let me crush the establishment?

Edited by boyd

That was by no means the big 10th-anniversary celebration, no. Just an opportune time to remind people Minimates are ten, and still awesome.

The Heroic Age set is what it is -- a four-pack, and also sold out (from us, at least). It obviously overlaps with Wave 44 a bit as well, but it's the Year of the Avengers.

More great Marvel sets/waves with new characters are coming. Non-Marvel as well. IN FACT, there is big news coming this year for pretty much every Minimate brand, in one form or another.

Edited by Zach Oat

Being a Thor fan, I'll gobble the Thor's up, looks like he has the newer boot tops too :thumbsup:. And I really like the new ant man, giant man, and iron man..... man, that's a lot of mans!:biggrin:

I'm only playing devil's advocate here... why can't DST make a certain wave, if that is what the retailer wants them to make, and they pick the characters, and they pay for them to be made? Heck, if I could afford it, I'd have a Falcon/Winter Soldier 2-pack made. But I can't, so I'll have to wait, and hope they will be made :confused:

ACK! We just got a Thor/Cap wave with mainly Thors/Caps and now we get a comic-Avengers wave which is all the main guys again. And don't forget there will be a movie-Avengers wave which will be the same characters...again.

The Previews wave doesn't bother me since it's an exclusive.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...TRU waves are the best. They have more new characters/diverse selection. Hope and pray TRU never stops ordering.

2) No Kang for you!

That's how I interpreted it, too. So, what time works for everyone to start the riots? Morning work for everyone?

But I just want to crush the establishment, Zach. Why won't you let me crush the establishment?

#OccupyTRU

2) No Kang for you!

#OccupyTRU

That's funny dude!