UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webhead... did you really expect there to be a discussion of an Avengers wave and Kang not to come up? Really? That'd be like talkin' about Spidey centric wave and not mentioning Spider-Man variants.

Still waiting to hear what's gonna make me not to consider this Cap a wasted slot. Otherwise, all the vast number of unmade Avengers and their foes not withstanding, Wasp in any of her 100 or so unmade costumes would have a better choice thematically.

Man, where was I when this news broke? :confused:

Anyway:

-love the two Ant Men. I think, BTW, that with a little modification that Hank Pym helmet could sub in for Stinger from the MC2 line. Gotta get to work on that decal I've been meaning to do....

-I've been thinking about Iron Man's Heroes Reborn armor as a IM armor I'd like to see for a little while now. It's striking, and a bit of a throwback. Moreover, I don't think it's ever been made as an action figure before. Thumbs up there. BTW, anyone know who designed that armor? Perez drew it in the Avengers, and Sean Chen was the artist on IM when it relaunched, but I remember seeing an Alex Ross design for a proposal he and Busiek put together before they did Marvels that looked a lot like it.

-Sentry's just fine as an army builder IMHO.

-Professor Hulk's an improvement of one of the worst Minimates ever, so there's that. Still, it seems an odd choice for a wave inspired at least in part by Heroes Return, and George Perez. Why no Hawkeye? A gypsy-esque Scarlet Witch? A new Wasp, perhaps in her Avengers Forever outfit?

-Thor and Cap... well, at least they're packaged together, so they'll be easy to avoid. Someone earlier said it best when they said Hobo Thor. :biggrin: As for Cap... yeah. What is there to say? We keep getting the same figure with new heads over and over. I suppose it's good for those of us that customize and like blue legs and buccaneer boots.

-And then, in the "Best Of" wave... another Thor and Cap set! In these exact same costumes (seriously, the only real difference is that one Thor's got a beard). It will be interesting to see if these two sets don't cancel each other out. So here's what bugs me, DST... knowing you've got this in the works, why couldn't the spots for Cap in a Jacket and Kirby Thor have gone to other characters, like the Falcon, or more out-there variations, like Frog Thor? We will have Captain America in the exact same outfit in both waves 42 and 44. That just shouldn't happen. :down:

-I've no real problem with the rest of the best of wave, though I wish DST would get back to making Spider-Mans a little more distinct. More black detailing, different shapes for his eyes, anything. But I like the new Goblin face, and heartily approve of the boots. And the Wolvie/ Sabes set is a true best-of, hard to find, and featuring Wolvie in his classic costume (one of which hasn't been done to death either).

So, as has distressingly become par for the course, we take the good with the bad. Personally, I don't think there's been a true all-around home run wave since Waves 31 and 32. That's getting to be a long time ago.

So, in summation:

1) Strange and Hercules, you are not winners! You have no tiger blood!

2) No Kang for you!

<_<

1. Didn't say that. Perhaps they are the 9th and 10th most winners.

2. Didn't say that either, just that boyd has no reason to attempt to overturn a retail outlet.

SO, didn't say NO Kang, but DID say Kang's not a TRU exclusive!

KANG's COMING!!!!!

Or, at least, that's how I'm interpreting it!

The first thing I noticed among the two waves is that none of the heroes are smiling. Everyone seems sad or indifferent, even Iron Man and Spidey to me. Except for Ant-Man. He seems kind of happy. The villains seems happy to me, even the Kree Sentry. I interpret it that the heroes are getting tired being rehashed so much while villains are just happy to be there. :tongue: And is Cap going to get a mask that fits him well? :biggrin:

Overall, if I were to take a minimates hiatus, this is a good way to start it. No disrespect to DST as I can see the reasoning. Get stores stocked up with heavy hitters for smash hit Marvel comic movies. That doesn't mean I have to like the choices. I'm sure the stuff later this year will be much better and will get us excited again. We just need to tough it out. :)

I'll be wanting to get the Antman or Giantman pack, but that's about it.....I've already got versions of all those characters.

But, he's a thought I had. We've had a few waves now that were strictly Thor, Cap, Ironman (both movie and comic) and many releases of Thing, Spiderman, Wolverine and Hulk. Is it possible, that we are at a time where we will start to see New characters, unmade remakes (like Rhino, Dr. Strange or Absorbing Man) and Team Themed sets?

Another thread that discussion on kang has entered. I'm more anti-kang than ever now.

QFT! QFT!

Wave 44 - I like them all bar Cap. Wave 42 Cap could become classic cap if I wanted thanks to interchangeable parts so to me this seems like a waste of a space, especially when Hawkeye could BADLY do with being re-made (unless Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is on it;s way, satisfying my needs for a new Nova and the awesomeness that is Rocket Raccoon?).

Best of Wave - I agree with youbastards. Granted the Thing looks good and I'd never say no to another Thor, but the rest are passable. Sorry.

Interesting side note... With the Heroes Return Armor being done, that leaves only the Crossing Armor and the S.K.I.N. Armor left as general purpose armors that don't have mates. (and there was great debate in fandom at the time whether SKIN armor was a specialty of general purpose armor.) So unless would head into the alternate realities (Promethium, HoM), or alternate Iron Men (teen Tony, Aron) we are left with the specialty armors for DST to get their Iron Man variant fix. For the few of us who are waiting for a Space and Undersea Armor, it's good news.

I should be more upset by 44 than I am. Only two new characters, the only villian is an army builder. No Kang, No Falcon, No Black Knight, No Tigra, No Mockingbird, No Grim Reaper. I could go on.

But this wave hits a chord in me. Let me explain... I was in college, wrapping up my ultimately useless degree, and my favorite book was at what I was sure was it's lowest point. We had just endured the nut-kick that was the Crossing, the Onslaught crossover was just getting rolling, and now we found out that Rob Liefield was going to be rebooting the team. I came across a mailing list for Avengers fans, signed up, and joined in the moaning. There were some real characters on that list. And believe me when I say there, I was a comics knowledge liteweight. Mainly because of two fans who were long time members of the group, a guy named Sean Mcquaid, and this guy named Kurt Busiek. Kurt was there only as a fan at that point. Needless to say... I learned a lot. And then, Kurt started to get very coy in his posts about 4 issues into Heroes Reborn, asking things like what we would call Carol Danvers if she wasn't Binary or Ms. Marvel anymore, or which was our favortie Pym ID. We were thrilled to find out he was going to be taking over the book, and when Perez agreed to be the artist I was really pumped. It would be like finding out Luke was named lead designer on the minimates line. I stayed on that list until it folded for server reasons, and it's sequel list until I left over a changing attitude of the latest moderator. (long story short, Breevroot joined at some point, and by the time we were into the Austen run, the newish Morderate was trying to squash the harshest ciritism so as not to run off Tom. I was unwilling to stay under those conditions) So for me personally, Avengers v.3 holds some very special memories, so if there's a wave of mates essentially celebrating it then I'm on board. But I really don't expect everyone else to be.

Best of - I feel like most of these "best" mates have been done better, honestly. It's fine since it's an exclusive. I guess I'm outnumbered when I say I don't care for the new faces on Sabretooth or Goblin. I feel earlier versions did it better. Same with Cap. Iron Man is really the only one here who interests me, but the whole purpose of this wave is to do popular characters over again, so I can't really complain. It does exactly what it meant to do, but since I have these characters already, I'll pass.

Wave 44 - ...not really sure what to think. I'm not an Avengers guy like Miry so I don't have a personal tie to this era in Avengers. So from an outsiders perspective... Thor with a beard is cool, but I can do that with a head swap from wave 42 or TRU 12. Cap has been done perfectly since wave 5. Just pick your favorite shade of blue and either a cut out mask or slip-on mask and you can find a perfect Cap. This one is beyond unecessary. And why doesn't his mask fit? Smart Hulk looks good for that version of him. Let's face it... a black tank top and red pants isn't really that great of a super hero costume, but that's how he was in the comics so the minimate captures it well. Iron Man and the Ant Men look pretty cool too. Just not my favorite versions of their costumes. Kree Sentry might make it worth getting whatever AntMan is easier to find. Like everyone else seems to be saying, if they swapped out Cap and Thor for Hawkeye, Black Widow, Wasp, Mockingbird or any other Avenger we haven't seen or who could use an update, I would be singing a much different tune.

Then again, I wasn't excited about 42/12 when it was announced, but now I can't wait to get my hands on Kirby Thor, Balder, Zola and Crossbones.

Here's hoping TRU gets lucky with wave 13.

Edited by nate_studio

Here's hoping TRU gets lucky with wave 13.

Wave 13 has already been revealed:

- Spidey/Punisher

- Daredevil/Kingpin

- Magma/Mirage

- Boomer/Rictor

No Avengers, four new characters, two requested (and needed) re-dos.

This wave does not overlap with a TRU Wave -- Wave 14 will be post-summer movies.

After seeing todays custom con entry I think its easy to forget that we as fans were in it to make the characters we really like or don't have (yet). DST on the other hand as devoted as they may be to the fans (and I do think DST shows serious fan devotion) are in it to make money. I see a lot of good figs in this wave and the classics wave. I for one am just happy to see this line going so strong that they feel the need to do something like a classics wave. Going into year 10 with as much strength as this brand is showing right now its hard to remember it has seemingly been at the brink of death a number of times. (Anyone remember the Ghost Rider movie wave that was cancelled due to "lack of interest")

Heres hoping for another 10 years of Minimates and ALL it brings!

Zach, I will be quite blunt. I am more excited for the Best Of wave than I am for wave 44.

Glad to hear it! I personally am still rebuilding my collection, so I dig them all, but I also love the Heroes Return outfits -- that's where I jumped on to Avengers after years of loving Iron Man and X-Men. And Smart Hulk is the Hulk I read the longest. Not sure I've ever actually read a Sentry story, but they're neat robots.

And while I am willing to wager that excitement will increase across the board once I show production models, I certainly understand why some are going to pass. But if everyone who sees Avengers has the opportunity to pick up a Minimate of a cast member, that's good for the line overall, and we can continue to do fan-pleasing stuff.

How about a Rob Leifeld Cap with the bird logo on the forehead? LoL.

Though I prolly won't be getting any from the announced sets, I really don't mind seeing re-do's as long as the line is going strong. Eventually we'll get the characters that we want.

I'm still waiting for a modern Cap that has the same blue color as the Invaders Cap. Don't really like the sky/light blue colors. So yeah, until that day comes, bring on the Caps! LOL.