UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

Here's hoping TRU gets lucky with wave 13.

Wave 13 has already been revealed:

- Spidey/Punisher

- Daredevil/Kingpin

- Magma/Mirage

- Boomer/Rictor

No Avengers, four new characters, two requested (and needed) re-dos.

This wave does not overlap with a TRU Wave -- Wave 14 will be post-summer movies.

Oh I totally forgot! Well IMO we are getting lucky with 13 then. New and improved Punisher, DD and Kingpin, and some brand new mutants, I'm excited for those. All of these wave releases are getting jumbled in my head.

Though I prolly won't be getting any from the announced sets, I really don't mind seeing re-do's as long as the line is going strong.

Squall is definitely right here. Nothing wrong with repeat characters. It's just a little tougher when we get

wave 32 Iron Man

wave 33 Thor

wave 35 Iron Man

wave 36 Iron Man

wave 39 Thor

wave 40 Cap

wave 41 Iron Man, Hulk

wave 42 Cap, Thor

wave 44 Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk

wave 45 Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk

I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining. Every set is a chance for a new collector to jump on board. I just think we're suffering from a little Avengers over exposure. But even then, I'm dying to see the movie so I can't complain about striking while the iron is hot.

Zach - Thanks for reading what we have to say, giving us more info, and putting up with our whining :confused:

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 may not get the distro it needs until after the holiday, but it eems like many of you have a pretty good network for trading -- is there a place on the boards you all can coordinate the search? Help the helpless?

Many of us were able to place orders with TRU.com, though most have been backordered. I just got my boxes with Thor/Baldar, but I can't open it because it's also got Christmas presents for a certain little girl playing in the next room....

Personally, I fully understand that TRU has a lot more to do then cater to the collector community right now, and I'm glad they are stocking and shipping new releases at all. I've said it many times before: as irritating as TRU can be at times, getting Minimates from them is still light years better then it would be if the retail partner were Target or Wal-Mart.

Edited by hellpop

I don't mind more Iron Man armors, as long as they are comic based, of course. Now all we need is a Tony Stark in Cobalt Man armor.

Here's hoping TRU gets lucky with wave 13.

Wave 13 has already been revealed:

- Spidey/Punisher

- Daredevil/Kingpin

- Magma/Mirage

- Boomer/Rictor

No Avengers, four new characters, two requested (and needed) re-dos.

This wave does not overlap with a TRU Wave -- Wave 14 will be post-summer movies.

Oh I totally forgot! Well IMO we are getting lucky with 13 then. New and improved Punisher, DD and Kingpin, and some brand new mutants, I'm excited for those. All of these wave releases are getting jumbled in my head.

Though I prolly won't be getting any from the announced sets, I really don't mind seeing re-do's as long as the line is going strong.

Squall is definitely right here. Nothing wrong with repeat characters. It's just a little tougher when we get

wave 32 Iron Man

wave 33 Thor

wave 35 Iron Man

wave 36 Iron Man

wave 39 Thor

wave 40 Cap

wave 41 Iron Man, Hulk

wave 42 Cap, Thor

I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining. Every set is a chance for a new collector to jump on board. I just think we're suffering from a little Avengers over exposure. But even then, I'm dying to see the movie so I can't complain about striking while the iron is hot.

Zach - Thanks for reading what we have to say, giving us more info, and putting up with our whining :confused:

We're not suffering from Avengers overexposure, we're suffering from Thor, Cap, and Iron Man overexposure. I can think of several Avengers releases that would deserve the famous Dancing Banana Emoticon... :banana:

Nothing wrong with repeat characters. It's just a little tougher when we get

wave 32 Iron Man

wave 33 Thor

wave 35 Iron Man

wave 36 Iron Man

wave 39 Thor

wave 40 Cap

wave 41 Iron Man, Hulk

wave 42 Cap, Thor

Given the top-grossing movies of the last three years, Iron Man, Cap and Thor figures are understandably staples. When Avengers tanks, we can all look forward to a few years of Defenders merch (fingers crossed!), but for now, we need to have the big three (who'd've thunk 10 years ago they'd be Marvel's big three!) out there for the new fans. When I was at TRU Times Square last week, the Cap and Thor movie waves had been picked over for all of the costumed Caps and costumed Thors -- that's what people want.

And most of those waves have 5-7 other characters in them. You can't always say that about other Marvel toy lines, especially the movie waves, where pretty much all you GET is Cap or Iron Man or Thor.

Everything that can be said really has been said. Personally, I kind of dig classic colored, er, Classic Iron Man, and the Busiek/Perez Giant Man and Iron Man, but frankly, nothing else seems worth the $4 per Minimate that they run nowadays. I've been buying fewer and fewer Minimates over the last year or so, and it looks like this trend is going to continue.

Edited by karamazov80

Nothing wrong with repeat characters. It's just a little tougher when we get

wave 32 Iron Man

wave 33 Thor

wave 35 Iron Man

wave 36 Iron Man

wave 39 Thor

wave 40 Cap

wave 41 Iron Man, Hulk

wave 42 Cap, Thor

Given the top-grossing movies of the last three years, Iron Man, Cap and Thor figures are understandably staples. When Avengers tanks, we can all look forward to a few years of Defenders merch (fingers crossed!), but for now, we need to have the big three (who'd've thunk 10 years ago they'd be Marvel's big three!) out there for the new fans. When I was at TRU Times Square last week, the Cap and Thor movie waves had been picked over for all of the costumed Caps and costumed Thors -- that's what people want.

And most of those waves have 5-7 other characters in them. You can't always say that about other Marvel toy lines, especially the movie waves, where pretty much all you GET is Cap or Iron Man or Thor.

Maybe I should read what I say one more time before I post. I'm really not trying to be negative. Minimates are my favorite toy line, Marvel has my favorite heroes, I am always excited to hear about new figures coming out. I totally understand what you guys are doing from a business perspective. I meant no offense. We just tend to forget about the masses of people and think only about the collectors who have been buying since wave 1. I'll try to be more careful with what I say here so I don't sound like a Debbie Downer.

Maybe I should read what I say one more time before I post. I'm really not trying to be negative. Minimates are my favorite toy line, Marvel has my favorite heroes, I am always excited to hear about new figures coming out. I totally understand what you guys are doing from a business perspective. I meant no offense. We just tend to forget about the masses of people and think only about the collectors who have been buying since wave 1. I'll try to be more careful with what I say here so I don't sound like a Debbie Downer.

No, I apologize for sounding like I was trying to refute you! Just responding, for everyone's benefit. Sorry if I came off as defensive. You guys are important to us, I just wanted you to know our strategy, and see that we're trying to make all parties happy.

Sorry your purchases are decreasing, Karamazov -- hopefully we'll be announcing some more stuff for you to spend your money on shortly. :whistling:

Edited by Zach Oat

Wave 44 Cap has briefs tampo'd on at the top of his legs. That's a nice touch. I think only Movie USO Cap has had that detail so far. It's not much, but it's a detail that I appreciate.

Sorry your purchases are decreasing, Karamazov -- hopefully we'll be announcing some more stuff for you to spend your money on shortly. :whistling:

You're killing me with these teases. Killing me.

Edited by Turtle

We appreciate the delicate line you guys have to walk with this line. On the one hand, you have to produce the big names to keep up general public interest and make the line accessable to new customers. At the same time, you've got guys like us who have been collecting since the begining (or close to it) and already have multiple copies of the big names and are ready to finish the second teir characters and move on to the third. Make us too happy, and you'll have a wave of potential peg warmers, go the big name only route and we are very underwelmed and not buying much. At least no one has accussed you of hating us and wanting the line to fail... yet.:confused:

Although if you keep teasing us so, we may start with the hatin'.

I have to be the dork that says, I'm Just Glad Marvel Minimates Are Still Going! Gi/Ant men look great, I'm a geek for Iron Man so I'll pick up him and Jersey Hulk. If more Avengers are on their way, does that mean we may see Falcon (Sam "Oh Snap!" Wilson)? I would think he is more recognizable to the little ones now that he is on Super Hero Squad. Make it so Zach! :)

I do have to echo the sentiment that TRU seems to be getting the real awesome and unique minis of the last 1-2 years. As tough as it is finding them, I am grateful to TRU for coming back to the Minimate party. Hulk Buster Ironman rules all.

With a growing family and the economy the way it's been.. Minimates are the only thing I really collect. It amazes me that they have given us 44 waves of such a great product.

I meant no offense. We just tend to forget about the masses of people and think only about the collectors who have been buying since wave 1. I'll try to be more careful with what I say here so I don't sound like a Debbie Downer.

if you're unhappy about something, you have every right to say it. It would be nice if the long term collectors got a little more thought.

waves 44 & 45, 'best of' ... part of me is very happy about all that cash I'll be saving in 2012.

EDIT - that is to say, so I can afford whatever good stuff you're waiting to announce, hey Zach.

Edited by dj87

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1302576402

I should add that I'm really glad to see the Ant-Men in this wave. I think he's an essential Avenger, and deserves more variants. . .not as much as Hawkeye deserves more variants, but deserving nonetheless.

I may feel indifferent to what is currently known about 44, 45, and best of, but I still :wub: you Zach. For now at least. :P

BTW, what day are we celebrating the 10th anniversary?

From Lee's Toy Review #114, coverage of the Art Asylum showroom at New York Toy Fair:

"Mini Mates, Art Asylum’s version of the pocket-size world of movies and music, unveils a Bruce Lee, kiss, Star Trek, Dark Angel, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon assortment."

THe celebration will last all yea long, but since they debuted at Toy Fair, consider that ground zero -- we'll be announcing a bunch of new MM stuff.

Off topic, but thanks for popping in every once in awhile, posting, and most importantly, bearing with our whiny posts Zach. I personally really appreciate it. :highfive2:

Edited by karamazov80

This is going to be more negative than usual, but I wish they'd stop giving us crap like this when they FLOOD us, and instead cut the number of mates in half and up the QC and character selection. There's nothing wrong with this wave exactly, it's just kinda awful, and that feeling is exacerbated when we get 12 waves a year.

There's nothing wrong with this wave exactly, it's just kinda awful

Okay, that statement needs some elaboration to make sense. (at least to me)

I am glad for the Ant Men. I'm not such a fan of Ant Man as a character, but since the only real helmeted Pym I have is the super old school Avengers Box, I am enthused to no end for these two. The main reason? For real? I love helmets. They are my favorite piece of anything ever. Every so often I find the minimates with helmets and have a Cool Helmet Parade, you know, because I'm an adult and can do whatever the heck I want. And the avengers movie wave might not be all that NEW new, but Black Widow and Hawkeye in the same pack? That's awesome for me. Now yeah, I don't need more Thors and Iron Men and Spideys and Caps, but hey, some people might. And as long as minimates keep existing and make enough money to keep going with main streamers for those of us "serious collectors" to get at least a few really awesome new mates a year is fine by me. I have spent an insane amount of money on minimates (or so I've been told) and having a few waves where I only have to grab a couple packs instead of entire sets several times a year, well that's alright by me.

That being said, if someone over there doesn't get it together that Songbird should be officially released soon so I can have my Thunderbolts done, well I may just smash my face into a wall.

Which is no big threat, since I do that pretty much any time something stupid happens to me.

So thanks to everyone responsible for keeping minimates going (us here, especially) and here's to another ridiculous decade of some of the coolest little figures on the planet.

I think the reason there's some discontent here is that we've all just added (or are looking to add) unwanted Caps and Thors as we speak, so the prospect of MORE coming in the very near future isn't very appealing. There's just not enough about these new figures to distinguish them from the ones we already have. Tweak the designs all you want, they're still just tweaks. Moreover, we're not even getting anyone new with them; if I have to take "Cap in a Jacket" to get Armin Zola, and Kirby Thor to get Baldar the Brave, then so be it. But nobody new? No Falcon, no Zemo, no Enchantress, no Executioner? That just stinks, sorry to say.

I mentioned a few pages back that my biggest complaint with DST is that the long-term planning often seems poor, and I would say very basic Captain America and Thor figures in both waves 42 and 44 is poor planning. Let me give you another example: a few years ago, DST released a Secret Invasion set which included a First Appearance Wolverine. That figure took up a slot that could have gone to characters such as Yellowjacket or Captain Marvel, whom at the time had yet to me 'mated. Now, I'm sure from DST's perspective, FA Wolverine was the selling point of the set; I respectfully disagree. But what really gets my goat is that, a few months later, DST released "Wolverine Through the Ages" which didn't include an actual Wolverine figure. Now, in that case, FA Wolvie would have been a selling point, and made that set much more attractive. So, if you know W:TTA is coming, why not hold that figure for that set, and free up a slot for someone else?

I want to be clear that I say all this with a lot of love for DST; I think you guys do an overall great job. And I understand the reasons for cycling through the big guns over and over. I just wish there was more spacing, and more consideration for the core fans that keep this line alive and have already bought our fair share of Caps, Thors, Spideys, ect. As I said, we don't mind buying them again quite as much if it means getting someone new. But this Cap/Thor pack... well, I'll be curious to see how it does. I would not be surprised if retailers like Luke and BBTS have less full set orders; I know I at least will be cherry-picking.

But Ant-Man, GI/Ant-Man, and Heroes Reborn Iron Man are just swell. :biggrin:

I realize that some of these two-packs -- depending on who you think is great and who you view as punishment from on high -- require you to buy one you don't want to get someone you want. But who here is an actual completist? I didn't think very many of you were, if any. So if this wave, or a two-pack in it, isn't for you, there will be plenty of other sets/waves coming out next year -- the summer just happens to belong to the Avengers movie and its starring characters. (Also, I get the feeling that if we announced three consecutive waves that were all must-haves, response would be similarly disheartened, if only from a monetary standpoint.)

And I think criticism of planning is fine -- this is your forum, not ours -- but I wouldn't assume that we didn't plan. A basic Cap in multiple waves is a necessity if you want to make sure there's a basic Cap on shelves at all times. And FA Wolverine may be considered an anchor figure to a Secret Invasion set, whereas a box set with four important alternate Wolverine looks may not need him as badly. (This is all hypothetical -- I wasn't with the company when those came out, and I'm not involved in line plans now.) But I DO know these line plans are agonized over, and, aside from the occasional production delay, the figures come out in the order they're supposed to.

In short, we have a plan. But we also want Minimates to be around for another 10 years, so we're gonna keep trying different things to ensure the brand's longevity. Rest assured, we want to make new characters just as much as we want to sell the famous ones.

When I got started I wasn't so much a completist as An opportunist. I saw an opportunity to get mate, I took it. Then for a while I bought entire waves as they came because it was just good to have more. Now I'm just buying the things I want, along with a few of the newer lines (specifically Pirates and M.A.X.) because while none of them really scream at me right now, I can see where awesome things can come down the road and I want them to be able to continue on and get to that point. But with Marvel it really is cherry picking and taking the right moment to grab those that I do truly want. Which isn't to say I don't buy a few of the random ones here and there to add my support. That being said, I'm not against there being more Caps and Thors and what have you out there, it's just if you throw one of those guys in with someone we've never seen before, that's where the disdain comes from, I think. Now, I was happy to buy the Cap and Arnim Zola pack back before thanksgiving, and it wasn't actually for Zola. I actually wanted Cap for his Avengers Jacket, but that being said, if you take the jacket off and put on the standard Cap arms, I think that is the most perfect Captain America representation out there. It's simple and precise, which we need some times. So, at this point, I don't feel I need another standard Captain America ever. That said, it's fine with me that there are more out there. My thought really is just, if Caps and Thors and whatnot need to be on the shelves fairly often, maybe the best way to do it would be to always have them in the same packs, so those of us that Don't need them can get away with not feeling like we wasted money on a two pack when we only wanted half of it in the first place, let alone on two of them to get two new guys and two guys we don't see any need for (save the customizers). But then, that's most likely counter-intuitive from a business standpoint as splitting them forces more units to be sold and thus more money to be made. I understand that, I really do. It's just sometimes business is a shitty thing and we just have to surrender because there is no better option to keep the lines going. I dunno. I don't feel like thinking about this anymore. I'll just buy some stuff and not buy some other stuff and wait patiently for whatever's in the pipe.