UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like TRU is now very standoff-ish on most Marvel Movie properties. Over in the ASM2 thread, Zach even said it wasn't a certainty yet that we'd get a ASM2 TRU wave, they cancelled Thor 2, and it's not looking likely for a Cap2 wave. The balance seems to have shifted to where TRU passes on more than they accept. (They passed on the Age of Ultron set too, didn't they?). I'm sure Avengers 2 will get a TRU wave, and I'd be surprised if GOTG gets skipped due to all of it's hype. TRU wave 16's mishandling also has been concerning. I understand TRU has a new "buyer" who chooses what gets put on TRU's shelves, and I get the impression I want him replaced ASAP.

I've never been overly impressed with ANY of the Marvel movie-mates. They are well done, but I'm more of a comics based guy and it seems like most Marvel Minimate buyers are too.

I've never been overly impressed with ANY of the Marvel movie-mates. They are well done, but I'm more of a comics based guy and it seems like most Marvel Minimate buyers are too.

This gets spookier......I deleted a similar response. In all fairness the Iron Man movies somewhat bucked the trend ,there ain't nothing wrong with the mates (except maybe the Hulk movie wave) it's just they just don't seem to do it for me.

For me, Zelda and Metroid would be huge in their own right, but I think Nintendo has a pretty healthy stable of characters. Imagine something like the one-and-done Sony deal, with 2-packs at TRU:

Link and Zelda

Samus and Ridley

Mario and Luigi

Donkey Kong and Diddy

Lots of very recognizable characters, especially for the TRU audience. If you wanted to go deeper, there are plenty of other characters from LoZ and the Mario Universe, second-tier guys like Starfox and Pit from Kid Icarus, Pokemon... at very least I think you could get a few fun waves or boxsets out of the franchise and wrap it up before people started saying "pass."

Rafael R.
Hello, my name is Rafael and I am a minimate-holic… can you please add to my vice by making: Hellcat, Nighthawk, Black Knight (classic Avengers version), Moondragon (70s version), Tigra, Falcon (classic red & white costume), Wonderman (original costume), Wonderman (Perez 70s costume), Wasps in a bunch of costumes, Jocasta, Jarvis, Guardians of the Galaxy (Abnett & Lanning and classic), Jack of Hearts, Imperial Guard!!!, (1st appearance & evil) Rogue, Kitty Pryde (in her 1st appearance X-men costume), (Disco) Dazzler… Pretttttty please????????
DSTChuck: I’d never say never but I think some of those are long shots.
Not my question, but all of those "long shots" are pretty key characters from the 70's and 80's Avengers runs. Jocasta and Jack of Hearts in particular drew me in because I wanted to know more about these weird looking characters that could be on the same level as Iron Man, Cap, Thor etc.

Jocasta, Jarvis, and Jack of Hears are the only ones I'd really say are obscure... sorry, fans of the letter J. "Perez costume Wonder Man" is presumably "Safari Jacket Wonder Man", which we did already get. I'd be pretty happy with anyone on this list.

To be fair, Chuck didn't call any of them obscure, he called them long shots. First Appearance Rogue and Kitty Pryde have both had two or three more famous looks. Nighthawk, Moondragon and Hellcat have never really been in the spotlight in any way, nor had significant runs on high-profile teams. The old GotG is unrecognizable from the new, hot GotG. I want them all, and I bet Chuck does too, but he's not making a line for himself.

And if we did a second DP set, I wouldn't call it Deadpools Assemble. I'd call it Masters of Deadpool.

I like the Wolverine Deadpool from the Deadpool kills Deadpool comic that just ended. His only dialogue was naming types of beers.classic. Just don't make the WolvieDeadpool that's pictured on the Deadpools Assemble box bc he should be Black and Red not Yellow. And I think everyone wants a PandaPool.

Nintendo would be sweet. Would most of them like Mario characters all be shorter too? Wouldn't standard Link be a little smaller also?

METROID is the one to have though!

8Of6EdG.jpg

Edited by WookieFodder

Nintendo would be sweet. Would most of them like Mario characters all be shorter too? Wouldn't standard Link be a little smaller also?

METROID is the one to have though!

I like the way you think sir. Metroid is up there with Dc, Star Wars and Spawn as far as my dream licences go.

VulcansFury, on 10 Dec 2013 - 06:11, said:

It seems like TRU is now very standoff-ish on most Marvel Movie properties. Over in the ASM2 thread, Zach even said it wasn't a certainty yet that we'd get a ASM2 TRU wave, they cancelled Thor 2, and it's not looking likely for a Cap2 wave. The balance seems to have shifted to where TRU passes on more than they accept. (They passed on the Age of Ultron set too, didn't they?). I'm sure Avengers 2 will get a TRU wave, and I'd be surprised if GOTG gets skipped due to all of it's hype. TRU wave 16's mishandling also has been concerning. I understand TRU has a new "buyer" who chooses what gets put on TRU's shelves, and I get the impression I want him replaced ASAP.

Wave 16's patchy appearances isn't an isolated instance. There's been panic and delay on previous waves of TRU minimates. It's unfortunate, but i think it's more of an issue with trouble orchestrating nation-wide distribution than a sign of the TRU buyers choices.

Having said that, It does sound like we'll be seeing less Marvel Movie minimates at TRU. I'm not convinced this is a bad thing. if it means we see more comic waves.

Edited by Nessex

I think DST and other manufacturers need to consider offering product after the movies has been released. TRU is passing up front anyway and it's a safer way to gauge demand. Licensors will have to adjust their expectations accordingly. They certainly can't force retailers what to carry.

Nighthawk, Moondragon and Hellcat have never really been in the spotlight in any way, nor had significant runs on high-profile teams.

To be fair, I think it boils down to opinion, but as an avid reader of The Defenders books, Hellcat had a lengthy run as a spotlight member of a high-profile team. I think the opinion flag can be thrown on the "high profile" descriptor, but I feel the Defenders ran up there with Avengers and X-Men for a long time. I do get your drift though.

...Hellcat have never really been in the spotlight in any way...

Hellcat has had two solo mini series and was the lead character in another, Marvel Divas. Sounds like some way to me.

And had a long running golden age series which was retroactively retconned into being comics published about her in the 616 universe.

TRU is less likely to take product after the fact, and I think our sales team would say the same about specialty retailers. But ask Chuck what he thinks!

Well, since TRU is already taking zero product, there's really nothing to lose in that market. I'm looking at the big picture across all retailers regarding licensed product and event tie-ins but I'll ask Chuck for his insights. Offering product after a movie's release hasn't kept Back to the Future, Terminator 2, or Ghostbusters Minimates from getting produced.

In my experience, specialty retailers (LCS) shy away from anything they know will compete with big-box offerings unless they can somehow get it first and skim the market. They can't compete on volume discounts. Offering product like this is what the specialty market does.

And she is an unmade classic avenger who is high up on my wishlist - which lately seems to mean there's no chance of her appearing any time soon...confused.gif

Have to say I applaud the list of character requests in the original question though - all ones I'd like to see! Was hoping we might see a bit of classic gotg this year!

Oops - MisterPL sneaked his point in there when I wasn't looking - my comment was of course meant to follow on from what Bigvis said!

Edited by stegron01

Obviously, Hellcat has starred in books. My opinion, however, is that those books were never heavily pushed (or widely read) titles for Marvel. Also, the Golden Age was 60 years ago. I love that there is a team called the Defenders, although I have not read a lot of their books. But in my opinion, the Defenders have not been an A-list team in quite some time, and the last time it got mainstream love, it was with the A-list line-up: Strange, Hulk, Surfer and Namor.

Mister PL, we don't know what TRU will take or not take until we pitch it to them. If they do take it, they'll want to get it in time for the movie, and that's when comic shops are going to have to get it, as well. If they DON'T take it, then nothing is competing with the comic shops (at least, not Minimates-wise), so why not put it out when sales will be maximized? You ideally want to sell product before the movie comes out, in case the movie disappoints viewers -- obviously, our product doesn't always make it in time, but that's our goal.

And nostalgia for a time-tested classic property with a proven sales history (or a dearth of merchandise) is different from trying to sell product two months after everybody else, when a movie might prove itself to be a dog. Obviously, you get better reference, but if you wait until after the movie comes out and is a hit to pull the trigger, your product will be competing with the next movie's product from other companies. Chuck has been selling to the specialty market for over a decade, so I'm curious what he'll say.

I think we are starting to see a shift in the way movie products are made, and that retailers are finally starting to learn that "movie" does not equal "desired toy property". Hopefully, that will be good for stuff that has a more steady interest, ie the stuff I like.biggrin.png

Really, the closest thing the Defenders ever came to being "A-list" was when Steve Gerber was writing the book, and that was some 40 years ago. I like a lot of the characters, but I don't think there's really a crying need for them, and I say this as a guy that made a custom of Cloud. CLOUD!

I'm not arguing that Hellcat would sell as a Minimate. I am arguing that Hellcat is a decent character that has some miles on her. My argument is based on personal opinion and nothing more. Dazzler got made but Hellcat doesn't warrant it? Thats where I say, "whatchu talking bout Willis".