UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, Hellcat has starred in books. My opinion, however, is that those books were never heavily pushed (or widely read) titles for Marvel. Also, the Golden Age was 60 years ago. I love that there is a team called the Defenders, although I have not read a lot of their books. But in my opinion, the Defenders have not been an A-list team in quite some time, and the last time it got mainstream love, it was with the A-list line-up: Strange, Hulk, Surfer and Namor.

Mister PL, we don't know what TRU will take or not take until we pitch it to them. If they do take it, they'll want to get it in time for the movie, and that's when comic shops are going to have to get it, as well. If they DON'T take it, then nothing is competing with the comic shops (at least, not Minimates-wise), so why not put it out when sales will be maximized? You ideally want to sell product before the movie comes out, in case the movie disappoints viewers -- obviously, our product doesn't always make it in time, but that's our goal.

And nostalgia for a time-tested classic property with a proven sales history (or a dearth of merchandise) is different from trying to sell product two months after everybody else, when a movie might prove itself to be a dog. Obviously, you get better reference, but if you wait until after the movie comes out and is a hit to pull the trigger, your product will be competing with the next movie's product from other companies. Chuck has been selling to the specialty market for over a decade, so I'm curious what he'll say.

Golden Age

Defenders were 'Silver Age' (sorry!) & as far as I recall the Defenders' comics were good but not great.....& I was reading them as they were published.

The Minimate 'Defenders' box set (released 6 years ago) could be re-released..... without any changes at all ....& hold its head up high with anything recently released. Unsurpassed.....even the Hulk still looks f*ckin' awesome.

A second box ? Count me in.......Hellcat, Nighthawk,Blacknight &......dare I say ....Howard the duck.

.......& .....bugger me bandy.....you can bring it all up to date with the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' who were all associate members of the Defenders ohmy.png

-whoneedsmirymate

Dazzler got made but Hellcat doesn't warrant it? Thats where I say, "whatchu talking bout Willis".

I agree completely, but I think we've seen enough minimates made to have a good idea what Chuck's preferences are and it seems anything related to the X-Men or Spider-Man gets a pretty significant bump up the "likely to be made" list.

And had a long running golden age series which was retroactively retconned into being comics published about her in the 616 universe.

Sorry, should have checked bigvis497's facts. smile.png Did I mention I have hardly read any Defenders comics?

I'm not arguing that Hellcat would sell as a Minimate. I am arguing that Hellcat is a decent character that has some miles on her. My argument is based on personal opinion and nothing more. Dazzler got made but Hellcat doesn't warrant it? Thats where I say, "whatchu talking bout Willis".

I hear you, and I was more responding to others. I totally think Hellcat should get made, but, like you, I understand why she is not a priority. Believe me, I think it's unfortunate we have to pick the right characters to move a $10 two-pack. Maybe it's all about pairings and case ratios, but I will admit there is such a thing as a pegwarmer. (Although I will say that when Dazzler was on the X-Men, it was one of Marvel's top books, and she later appeared in a video game -- the inspiration for her alt look. Not sure where Hellcat is now, but Dazzler's an agent of SHIELD.)

Obviously, Hellcat has starred in books.

Then she has been in the spotlight.
By the spotlight, I meant the company's spotlight, with guest appearances in other titles, merchandise and ad campaigns, not just having a book. Having a mini-series or even a regular title is no guarantee of popularity or ongoing recognizability. Dazzler and Longshot had solo books, and we just made them a year ago (and only because they were part of the most popular team of that era). The Skrull Kill Crew had their own book, and we will probably never make them. Over at DC, Ambush Bug starred in several mini-series -- I own them all -- and people still don't know why DC chose to make him. (He's my favorite DC character, and I'm still amazed.)

I hope we make her -- ask Chuck what the odds are, if people haven't already. The whole "list six characters you want" strategy doesn't seem to be paying off for people.

@ BHM: I am sorry to do this to you, but I have to point out that the Defenders was a BRONZE Age comic, not Silver. I assume Zach's GA reference was to Bigvis mentioning her unique character background, which is that Patsy Walker was the star of a long running romance comic, only for Steve Englehart to decide to turn her into a superhero (and her boyfriend in the series into a super villain, naturally). And this actually happened in the Avengers, not the Defenders, although she's certainly more associated with the latter.

Also, HTD wasn't a Defender, but he would fit in perfectly in my fantasy Steve Gerber box set: Nighthawk, Howard, Man-Thing, and the Son of Satan.

I don't think Hellcat has ever gotten a figure, and I really don't expect her to-- but at least Nighthawk has a Marvel Universe figure.

@ BHM: I am sorry to do this to you, but I have to point out that the Defenders was a BRONZE Age comic, not Silver. I assume Zach's GA reference was to Bigvis mentioning her unique character background, which is that Patsy Walker was the star of a long running romance comic, only for Steve Englehart to decide to turn her into a superhero (and her boyfriend in the series into a super villain, naturally). And this actually happened in the Avengers, not the Defenders, although she's certainly more associated with the latter.

Also, HTD wasn't a Defender, but he would fit in perfectly in my fantasy Steve Gerber box set: Nighthawk, Howard, Man-Thing, and the Son of Satan.

I don't think Hellcat has ever gotten a figure, and I really don't expect her to-- but at least Nighthawk has a Marvel Universe figure.

I started so I'll finish..... with my tongue still firmly in my cheek ............smile.png ..........

Howard the Duck ,associate member of the Defenders ( HTD Marvel treasury edition #12 ) .

Guardians ? Associate members of the Defenders ( Giant size Defenders #5 , Defenders #26-29).

Bronze Age or Silver Age ? OK I'll happily concede that I might be wrong about that one ......& you'd also be a brave man to be absolutely sure which date the transition was laugh.png but Marvel feature #1 (first Defenders) was December 1971. Technically....I've just read wiki ....1970 is the cusp......so technically you win. *

However unsure.png .....I can see where I missed the point about the broad being from the Golden Age ......my bad,& my apologies to Zach wallbash.gif

*& I now have one less Christmas card to write dry.png

Edited by buttheadsmate

By the spotlight, I meant the company's spotlight, with guest appearances in other titles, merchandise and ad campaigns, not just having a book.

Guest Appearances

300px-Spidey_Super_Stories_Vol_1_39.jpg

This one is significant because it's a media tie in with a popular kid's TV series, the Electric Company.

I'm not going to list all the guest appearances, it would fill the page. According to comic vine, Hellcat appears in 866 issues.

Merchandise

902036-hellcat-001.jpg

Merchandise

6f0b656e-324b-46b0-8e75-ad28ab7fd3a7.jpg

Merchandise

$_12.JPG

Merchandise

hellcat-custom-heroclix-front.jpg?w=468

Merchandise

707148506_tp.jpg

Merchandise

$(KGrHqZHJFUFDyn+ojm5BRCbufDBEQ~~60_35.J

Merchandise

image-tswmnsawegirlsrule-0-watermark.jpg

Merchandise

marvel-heroes-hellcat_i-G-49-4945-I14HG0

Advertisement

cat+1972.jpg

In 1972, Marvel made a push to cash in on the feminist movement with several female led titles. "The Cat" was front and center in that promotion. That's pretty significant.

I guarantee there are other ads, but I'm not going to waste time looking for them.

So again, when you say:

Hellcat [has] never really been in the spotlight in any way

and using your criteria for "spotlight", you are just plain wrong.

*& I now have one less Christmas card to write dry.png

Aw man. Definitely not worth it. sad.png

Didn't know that about Howard, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised (Gerber did write both, after all, and Defenders membership was always arbitrary). I've always accepted that the Bronze Age begins with Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76, and the beginning of the "relevancy" period. I was just listing some comics on Ebay yesterday (hey look, here's a link) and was surprised that they have the end of the Bronze as 1983, which seems far too late to me. But then I looked at Wikipedia, and they suggest it to be as late as 1986 (ending with Crisis and Secret Wars), which seems even crazier. Personally, I denote the beginning and end of "Ages" by thematic shifts, much moreso than "events", and I would say that the Bronze Age ended when Alan Moore took over Swamp Thing, and changed comics completely, which was... 1983. So I guess it's not too late after all.

You're right, Patsy Walker has appeared or guest-starred in pretty much every Marvel title -- 278 different titles overall. BUT of those 866 appearances, 124 were in this:

73928-1062-73726-1-patsy-walker.jpg

110 were in this:

1048415-patsy_and_hedy_094.jpg

57 were in this:

1135289-ma83.jpg

42 were in this:

494154-2.jpg

And 15 were in this:

1062859-teen_comics_21.jpg

She also appeared in 7 issues of Girls Life, various issues of Modeling with Millie, Actual Confessions, Actual Romance, Teen, A Date With Patsy, and every single handbook Marvel has ever made, simply because she's a Marvel character. I believe you also have to use the character regularly in order to maintain a copyright on her.

She should totally get made, because 400 or so issues in costume as Hellcat is very impressive -- but I doubt we'll see a Minimate of her before we see Tigra.

Edited by DSTZach

Sounds like maybe a 2 pack of them together is the answer to me then...lol

Makes perfect sense as a Variant. Greer originally wore the Yellow/Blue The Cat/Hellcat outfit before she became Tigra down the line.

Edited by elmeaux

Tigra, with a Hellcat variant, including two different hairpieces for Greer and Patsy, would be the way I'd go, but I'm not in charge.

You've now been promoted.

its xmas zach enjoy the kool aid and join the pod ppl.

Hellcat and nighthawk to round out one the best boxsets made...as long as we get a a gargoyle in a 2 pack as well.

Happy to read that:

- 2014 will have more comic stuff than movie stuff.

-classic Iron Fist and Luke Cage might be getting an update, along with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing.

I want a Grey Gargoyle before a Gargoyle.

Word. I'll take both, but Grey before orange.

Tigra,
with a Hellcat variant, including two different hairpieces for Greer
and Patsy, would be the way I'd go, but I'm not in charge.

A capital idea like that? You SHOULD be.

Edited by Mystery Man