UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I'm leaving...

The title kind of says it all. I've decided to leave MMMV soon and will be giving up collecting pretty much altogether. I've had to face some harsh truths about myself recently that I've been avoiding and the avoidance has begun to cost me. The consequences haven't been severe enough for me to have to really respond too much until I lost my job yesterday over something that was entirely my fault and was avoidable. I had been there for 15 years and was fortunate to not only have a steady job, but one with a decent salary, hours and benefits. Of course, that has accelerated my need to begin to reevaluate where I am at and where my actions are leading me and my family. I know that I tend to be obsessive/compulsive when it comes to things and that's very bad when mixed with collecting toys. Obviously, I'll be starting to sell off my collection to support my family while I search for a job, but I know that if I don't make a clean break of things that I'll end up back where I started and that's not something I can do. Not for me and not for my four kids that I'm already seeing behaviors in that are like mine. It's very hard to teach them the value of money or to not be obsessed with worldly possessions when their father has thousands of toys. I can't do that to them any more and set them up for failure and struggles. Anyways, back to the point, I know that if I continue on here that I'll get sucked back in at some point and that then it'll be back to the way it is now and I can't do that. At least not for a long, long time.

I want to thank all of you for the interaction over the years and much thanks to Shane and the mods for all that you do. I've been around enough to know there's not another board like this and it's been a pleasure to be on here. I wish you all the best and I hope you all avoid finding yourself in the position I'm in.-Joshua

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't echo Rob's sentiment enough.

You're a good person, Joshua, and this place won't be the same without you. You'll get back on your feet soon, but know that you are doing the right thing for not only your family, but yourself. Just remember, your job doesn't define who you are, only your family can do that.

I understand your situation and think you are making the right move. That said, I am sad to see you go. You have been a shining part of our community here and you will be missed. My email is in my profile. Please, keep in touch and let us know how things are going. I wish you the very best.

I'll echo what everyone has already expressed; you're a good man GH and a valued part of this community. This board will be a little less bright and unfortunately less nutty (pun intended) without you. Good luck and take care of your family and yourself.

Damn Joshua. Ditto what Rob said. You are one of the most important members of this community and it is like a punch in the gut to hear you are leaving. But like others are saying, I can also empathize with your situation, and in some ways am envious of your making a clean break. You'll be missed. Thanks for sharing your time with us for as long as you have.

Edited by karamazov80

This is a heartbreaker – not just to lose such a vital part of our community, but for the reasons you've described. That's the double-edged sword of collecting: it's something that brings you so much joy, and it can at the same time get out of control and bring you such grief.

You're one of the reasons I come on the board every day, Joshua. You're a bright, enthusiastic, fun, and boundlessly generous member of the board, and I'll very be sorry not to see you around. I wish you the best and am confident you'll find your feet and get things straightened out. Know there are a lot of people here who care about you and are here if you ever need to talk.

It's really sad to see you go, Josh. You've always been one of my favorite members here, and one of the guys that really makes this place a unique online community. That said, I respect and understand your decision. I understand your need for making a clean break; sometimes, I wish I had the same resolve.

I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say to let us know if we can do anything, particularly while you're job hunting. Let us know when you'll be selling stuff on eBay, or maybe just give us your seller id so that we can track you.

Good luck, take care, and our prayers are with you.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the circumstances regarding you losing your job. All the best to you and your family and I hope you're able to get back on your feet soon.

Sorry to hear you are leaving, but as everyone else has said, it is for good reasons and you are doing the right thing for your family. My collecting was partially to blame for loosing my job a few years ago, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I wish you all the best.