UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 minimates

sinnsyk

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. I'm glad TRU keeps loading up the website with more stock. That's really a sensible thing to do from a business POV, considering the demand. I don't recall them doing this very much before with other sets, apart from those instances when they only list a couple cases and then list everything else. But this is likely the most popular Minimates set yet that they've sold online.

Awesome. I'm glad TRU keeps loading up the website with more stock. That's really a sensible thing to do from a business POV, considering the demand.

Especially since it's kept us hitting their website every couple hours for the past week to check for restocks. Patience is eventually rewarded, but paranoia is encouraged.

Edited by Lobsterman

You guys can just wait till these hit retail and try and find them that way you know.

Not reliably. Sometime our TRU gets stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Lurch can back me up on that. Hit or miss doesn't begin to cover it. The Cap and Herald sets? Yeah they never showed. Fantomex? Yeah his wave either. On the other hand, we got the Brown Wolverine wave like three times.

Yep, our local TRU minimate releases are like feast and famine. But with as fast as the first wave of MvC sets sold out there I would expect them to order the next waves.

Best words of advice for wave 3 = Preorder MODOK :thumbsup:

I also approve of this new website restocking practice, and hope they continue it when Marvel Wave 13 hits.

It does make me wonder when we're going to see this wave in stores, though.

I wouldn't mind if minimates went more towards a TRU.com exclusive and not stores. My TRU was great with getting every assortment until they got so full of the common and nonexclusive versions that they haven't had anything new for minimates in 6 months. Calico Jack seemed to only sell to me and MAX wave 2 didn't sell to anyone else either, it appears. Both are still sitting on clearance.

What TRU should do is place sets up for preorder a month or two weeks a head of time, sell out a set amount. Then allocate to stores and online. This way each set is guaranteed a certain amount of sales. I know if I could preorder I'd send all my business to their website instead of hoping my store stocks before going to the web.

Dave, your logic is seriously flawed. Although that plan sounds solid and would benefit customers/collectors great, you fail to factor in the fact that it's TRU you're talking about. Your idea involves using planning to increase sales and not just randomly trying to make a few bucks.

Also consider that Minimates in general are such small potatoes to TRU it would be ridiculously unprofitable for them to spend any time or effort over the bare minimum selling them.

Let's assume – generously – that a run of a TRU exclusive is comprised of 2500 units of a 2-pack. At MSRP, $8 a pop, that's $20,000. If you figure 16 exclusive sets a year (i don't know exactly how many it is, but that seems to be in the right neighborhood) you end up with total sales of $320,000. For a company that did $13 million in annual sales in 2010, that's less than a drop in the bucket. Considering the numbers from that perspective, I wouldn't be surprised to learn than Minimates are a loss-leader to get us in the door and buy other stuff.

We can rail all we want about how we have handfuls of $10 bills we can give them, and how stupid they are for not wanting to take our money, but the reality is, if one of those $10 bills flutters to the floor instead of directly into their pockets, it is literally not worth their time to bend over and pick it up. :mellow:

Edited by Lobsterman

Also consider that Minimates in general are such small potatoes to TRU it would be ridiculously unprofitable for them to spend any time or effort over the bare minimum selling them.

Let's assume – generously – that a run of a TRU exclusive is comprised of 2500 units of a 2-pack. At MSRP, $8 a pop, that's $20,000. If you figure 16 exclusive sets a year (i don't know exactly how many it is, but that seems to be in the right neighborhood) you end up with total sales of $320,000. For a company that did $13 million in annual sales in 2010, that's less than a drop in the bucket. Considering the numbers from that perspective, I wouldn't be surprised to learn than Minimates are a loss-leader to get us in the door and buy other stuff.

We can rail all we want about how we have handfuls of $10 bills we can give them, and how stupid they are for not wanting to take our money, but the reality is, if one of those $10 bills flutters to the floor instead of directly into their pockets, it is literally not worth their time to bend over and pick it up. :mellow:

Usually with small run exclusives a set amount of preorders is a given.

Thinking like a greedy TRU executive, I would have a whole set or case only available for preorder. That would force us who only wanted the exclusives to but the whole set or even a case. Not everyone would do this but the hardcores would, those of us who jump on ebay the second it sells out. This would give TRU the extra money we'd be willing to pay.

Honestly I agree that they'll never do this for preorders but I'd hope they start doubling their online orders. From my understanding TRU sends the stores whatever they want, individual stores don't order. This way any extra online stock could go out to the stores.

The problem would totally be solved if there weren't short packs-that's the easiest solution. The only evenly packed wave so far was X-Men First Class and from what i saw on-line and in several stores was that it wasn't hard at all to complete the set and there seemed to be way less peg warming than with the over-packed packs. Just throwing that (back) out there.

I've just got my head around Lobsterman's '$13 million in annual sales '.......that's actually $13 billion ;)

We are about to move into an era where all of a TRU Marvel wave will be exclusive so buying a case ought to be a logical option,not least because a case of Minimates is a pretty shipping-friendly item....no dings dents or crushing.

This is excellent news about the current availability of exclusives again on TRU.com .....somebody must be listening !?

I've just got my head around Lobsterman's '$13 million in annual sales '.......that's actually $13 billion ;)

Oop... missed the "in thousands." $13 million did seem a little meager... It is also literally not worth their time to write out the other three zeroes.

Jaysus... we just went from 2% of sales to .002%! Why are they making exclusives again? :wacko::lol:

Edited by Lobsterman

I was gonna post the same thing :D Thinking to myself--damn, TRU doesn't sell much! :lol: It is $13 million in thousands, so: $13,000,000,000

Edited by karamazov80

Awesome. I'm glad TRU keeps loading up the website with more stock. That's really a sensible thing to do from a business POV, considering the demand. I don't recall them doing this very much before with other sets, apart from those instances when they only list a couple cases and then list everything else. But this is likely the most popular Minimates set yet that they've sold online.

I found them today at the store. I almost missed them cause they were stocked with near the Universal Monsters. The entire set looks great. I really impressed with the dude with the dreads. Pretty cool sculpt! I'm surprised to type this but I really like the Spidey's colors. Great set!

I wonder what this might do to the Menagerie's sales.

And looking at that picture makes me prefer the Ryu proto's hair color over the one that we got.

Not even just the color, but the style. That headband looks out of place IMO, especially in white. (Is it even accurate?)

I'm in no rush to find these; it'd be nice to, but i never saw Secret Wars Cap or Silver Surfer, and i wanted them a LOT more than these, so the feeling is fairly moot. Wish everyone luck in their ventures though!!