UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 minimates

sinnsyk

Never mind, seller sold 2 and has 42 left. No wonder they sold out so fast on TRU.

Geesh, guys like that make me wish they had a cap on how many of one item can go to either one house hold or per credit card.

Would at least give other people a fighting chance cause I'm sure he'd use multiple cards and probably multiple mailing addresses anyway. :(

I used to baulk at stuff like the menagerie back in the heyday of star wars figures. After awhile of insisting on driving around for a 50 or 60 mile radius for weeks on end spending countless hours and tons of cash on gas to get a figure at "retail" I finally caved and started picking up figures (the harder to get ones) from resellers (also known as Toy Pirates) only in the rarest cases do they ever really get more than a couple bucks more than retail for a fig and in the end i don't spend 50 plus dollars in gas to find a fig at "cost". as for a cap on buying well it just seems silly in the end the most determined will find a way around and the average joe collector who may want multiples or to army build has to jump through his own hoops and hassle to do it. I guess if someone has the capital and will to have an ebay store devoted to mini-figures and wants to buy up figures from TRU it sells figs and encourages the line, that means longevity for the line, that's good. knowing someone out there has the persistence to make sure he has these items in his store for a couple bucks over retail and saves me untold hours and cash in gas also good. For the record I do frequent the Menagerie for my own collection and they have always been bar none the most dependable, consistent and professional dealings I've had on ebay. Any way if the guy wants to spend his time effort and money so he can eek out a few bucks and I don't waste my time having to hunt down my next grail more power to him.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any other thread in the collecting world where this would make total sense:

*They're Up

*They're gone

*Up again

*Gone again

*Up

*Gone Dammit!

But here, with TRU and these exclusives it makes perfect sense. :)

I'm still trying to stay positive with this one. Good luck everyone.

I used to baulk at stuff like the menagerie back in the heyday of star wars figures. After awhile of insisting on driving around for a 50 or 60 mile radius for weeks on end spending countless hours and tons of cash on gas to get a figure at "retail" I finally caved and started picking up figures (the harder to get ones) from resellers (also known as Toy Pirates) only in the rarest cases do they ever really get more than a couple bucks more than retail for a fig and in the end i don't spend 50 plus dollars in gas to find a fig at "cost". as for a cap on buying well it just seems silly in the end the most determined will find a way around and the average joe collector who may want multiples or to army build has to jump through his own hoops and hassle to do it. I guess if someone has the capital and will to have an ebay store devoted to mini-figures and wants to buy up figures from TRU it sells figs and encourages the line, that means longevity for the line, that's good. knowing someone out there has the persistence to make sure he has these items in his store for a couple bucks over retail and saves me untold hours and cash in gas also good. For the record I do frequent the Menagerie for my own collection and they have always been bar none the most dependable, consistent and professional dealings I've had on ebay. Any way if the guy wants to spend his time effort and money so he can eek out a few bucks and I don't waste my time having to hunt down my next grail more power to him.

I respect your opinion . It's odd though that the persistence that he shows doesn't extend to the Minimate shelf-warmers ....my heart is gladdened that the few bucks he eeks :rolleyes: from the tripling/quadrupling of the TRU exclusives' retail price doesn't bother you because it doesn't bother me either because.....

......I've got mine at retail ....I got lucky.....& it looks like you'll be getting yours your way :yes:

It must however bother those people that continually get disappointed & I'd rather discuss 'Minimates' that we all have rather than some of us have.

If however you're serious that this equates toencouraging the longevity of the Minimate line ....then one of us is deluded...... & more & more I'm guessing it's me . :huh:

I respect your opinion . It's odd though that the persistence that he shows doesn't extend to the Minimate shelf-warmers ....my heart is gladdened that the few bucks he eeks :rolleyes: from the tripling/quadrupling of the TRU exclusives' retail price doesn't bother you because it doesn't bother me either because.....

......I've got mine at retail ....I got lucky.....& it looks like you'll be getting yours your way :yes:

It must however bother those people that continually get disappointed & I'd rather discuss 'Minimates' that we all have rather than some of us have.

If however you're serious that this equates toencouraging the longevity of the Minimate line ....then one of us is deluded...... & more & more I'm guessing it's me . :huh:

lol, yes I am serious. sales translate to longevity. And without a doubt the menagerie doesn't triple their money in most cases unless product, packing , ebay and shipping are free? last time I looked packs are roughly 8 with tax, if you've ordered from that store before the shipments always come in new packing and USPS runs roughly 2 bucks for a single fig, the auction has free shipping how much could the net really be unless there is a direct vein to TRU (which I doubt anyone has) look at the feedback thread the store supports I can't be the only one who is ok with toy pirates. we all do what we must.

I agree that in some cases, "toy pirates" help to get product to folks who otherwise would have difficulties, driving around town, etc. But, in this case, ToysRUs was giving collectors the opportunity to avoid that by picking these figures up online. And one retailer buying 50 packs of this set may mean that a couple more extreme army builders didn't have a chance to gobble them up instead (thus, keeping them out of anyone's hands but their own at any price). But the more likely scenario is that 10+ collectors didn't have an opportunity to pick a pack or three up for retail plus tax plus shipping cost instead.

I'm not really running down Menagerie's case about this. Like I posted before, it is a policy by TRU that allows this to happen, and whether it be flippers or hoarders/army builders buying them up, fewer collectors are getting anything by there being no limit whatsoever to what folks can buy. TRU is getting them sold, so if that's the bottom line from their POV, then that's that. But they are making those who miss out get more annoyed and frustrated with the whole scenario. And some of the old fogey Minimate collectors among us are disproportionately a part of that group. Does the benefits of their process outweigh the cons? Maybe. But it's not a win-win situation for TRU or the Minimate brand in general.

But as for profit, I agree that it's a risky move from MM's point of view, and I don't imagine they're rolling in money or anything (though if they sold all that they listed for those prices, they really would be rolling in cash, despite the issues you point out). But the feedback issue doesn't prove much to me, because if you buy from them, then you implicitly agree with their process of selling, and it would be odd to give a seller bad feedback for flipping if you agree to bid on the auction in the first place. I'm sure they are very good to their customers, and any seller who does that deserves the positive feedback that they've earned for it.

Edited by karamazov80

I was able to buy two of the taskmaster sets from tru off of ebay. Package arrived today! I was so excited...opened the package..i got one taskmaster set! What a friggin bummer. I looked on ebay again and there's no more. Sooooo i guess atthe worst case scenario i'll get a refund.

You guys can just wait till these hit retail and try and find them that way you know.

No, I can't. I'm still waiting to find the Magik, Fantomex, and Crossbones waves at my local Toys R Us stores. My local one plus two others (60 and 90 minutes away) never received anything from those waves. So TRU.com or other collectors are my only hope. TRU.com isn't much of a help. It's actually very frustrating with the whole in stock, out, in, out. Thankfully other collectors helped me out with those waves. I'm now paying it forward. I found 3 sets of Taskmaster and Sentinel at a local comic shop so I'm helping out some others.

Edited by MisterMiracle

You guys can just wait till these hit retail and try and find them that way you know.

Not reliably. Sometime our TRU gets stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Lurch can back me up on that. Hit or miss doesn't begin to cover it. The Cap and Herald sets? Yeah they never showed. Fantomex? Yeah his wave either. On the other hand, we got the Brown Wolverine wave like three times. And that doesn't cover the guys who hit that store every morning looking for collectibles. (Darn grad students, nice enough guys but they make my life difficult)(met them over Christmas) For those of you who can just waltz in and find what you want, I am extremely jealous.

On the other hand, TRU is showing my Sentinel as having shipped... can't track it, but it's not canceled. Believe it's coming when it's here.

So I just got my package in today. FA Ryu is extremely meh - too much white. Well executed, I think, but just a boring design in the first place. However, his Gi will come in handy for creating a custom Dan later on I think. Taskmaster is neat, but the grey instead of white seems like an odd choice - I think it clashes with the very bright orange or the very blue-blue.

Spencer is kickass though. His dreads are awesome, and a very neat piece, and that arm! My goodness. And the Sentinel is just a beast. I wanted to get multiples, but I think just having the one, giant Sentinel is kinda neat too.

Edited by Kamsm8

So I just got my package in today. FA Ryu is extremely meh - too much white. Well executed, I think, but just a boring design in the first place. However, his Gi will come in handy for creating a custom Dan later on I think. Taskmaster is neat, but the grey instead of white seems like an odd choice - I think it clashes with the very bright orange or the very blue-blue.

Spencer is kickass though. His dreads are awesome, and a very neat piece, and that arm! My goodness. And the Sentinel is just a beast. I wanted to get multiples, but I think just having the one, giant Sentinel is kinda neat too.

I'm reminded of the old Robin Williams routine:

They say yurr an alcoholic if you repeat yurr self. So they say yurr an alcoholic if you repeat yurr self. Ah damnit damnit damnit damnit!

Shoryuken!

DSC_0009-3.jpg

Tatsu maki sen pu kyaku!

DSC_0010-1.jpg

it took a while for me to latch on, but the clear peg stand is so he can shoot his energy blast with out falling over (theres a hole in the blast piece) prolly old news, lol

Target: Aquired. Sentinel: Collected. Packaging: Beat to Scrap. TRU Shipping: Intakes Sharply On Exhaust Port.

Guess what's back in stock on TRU.com? Sentinel and Taskmaster packs are currently available, get them while they're hot. As of right now there are 142 Sentinel packs and 143 Taskmaster packs available.

Bought and BOUGHT. Given how sucky my local TRU is about getting anything exclusive in a descent manner, this way has helped me quite a lot in terms of acquiring their exclusive minimates.

Now hopefully the next ones with characters like Kingpin, Boom-Boom, Richter and so on will be easy to get online...