UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t comprehend why the army builder is an exclusive. The exclusives are going to sell no matter what, there is no need for the added incentive of an army building as part of the exclusives. The whole reason for wanting army builders as part of the TRU waves was so the shelves wouldn’t be stuck with extras that most of us will have already picked up at our LCS or ordered online from places like AFX or Luke’s. Seeing as the current case ratios are 2:2:4:4, TRU will still be stuck with extra Human Torch/Thing’s and Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Doom’s if they are part of wave 38 or 39. For TRU wave 7; my local TRU ended up getting 4 cases, which means there were 32 total of the Silver Centurion Iron Man/Crimson Dynamo and Neo Classic Iron Man/Stilt Man packs. There are currently 27 left of those packs; if one of those would have been an army builder(Stilt Man doesn't count, though I did buy 3 of the 5 that have sold), then TRU more than likely wouldn’t be stuck with so many extras that are not going to sell anytime soon if ever

Edited by Santos L Halper

I thought that DST was trying to have the release of the TRU wave and LCB close together so they don't take away from the LCB sales?

Since none of these figures are in Wave 37 I'm assuming this wave will have some crossover with Wave 38.

However Wave 37 won't be out until Sept-Nov which puts Wave 38 release around Dec-Jan. It usually takes 5-6 weeks from the packaged pics being shown to the minimates showing up in the stores for TRU waves.

I wonder what is going on? Are they removing the crossover minimates between TRU & LCB waves?

Or, there's always the possibility that the timing of releases has just gotten foobared with the three box sets they're pushing out for NYCC. They had originally solicited wave 37 for September, which would have put wave 38 in November or December. This TRU wave would have "previewed" wave 38 a month in advance, like they did with wave 30 (all of those Spidey characters). TRU probably insists their waves come out on time, so the wave 37 timeline slipped, but TRU wave 8 stayed put.

And I imagine a wave 38 release in Dec-Jan is very optimistic. I'm thinking more like Feb-Mar 11... <_<

Edited by Lobsterman

Nobody ever moaned about the one variant per pack in the normal (LCS) waves yet there is blood & guts about the 2 TRU exclusives . I have never ever seen so many supposed rarities (HB) for sale on ebay & whether they've been scalped or not they generally sell for less than a LCS Wave variant .....once the hype & the dust settles.

TRU leaves an awful lot to be desired but are things really that bad ?

Can I say that I love this wave and that it's about time? Of course, most of us felt it was needed and forsaw it coming this year (and discussed it back in January). But, what if this wave is like the previous waves where they mixed up character packs? Or, what if the non-exclusives are spread out over two waves? I'm not complaining just yet because I really don't think we have enough of the facts to draw any conclusions. The only conclusion I've drawn is I like this wave.

Nobody ever moaned about the one variant per pack in the normal (LCS) waves yet there is blood & guts about the 2 TRU exclusives . I have never ever seen so many supposed rarities (HB) for sale on ebay & whether they've been scalped or not they generally sell for less than a LCS Wave variant .....once the hype & the dust settles.

Well, that's the rub. For people who have access, no, things aren't that bad. For people who don't, yes they are. I guess the difference is, you always have the option of ordering a case and being guaranteed the chase from an LCS wave. For TRU chases, you pretty much have to get lucky at the store or hit ebay.

At the end of the day, though, no amount of complaining we do is going to change the chase figure situation. Every line has them and retail buyers seem to demand them. Chases must trick somebody into buying a "consolation prize," because I can't imagine companies would do them just out of sheer meanness. I have to admit, I have, once or twice, buckled and bought something else rather than leaving emptyhanded...

TRU isn't bad at all. Ive found every exclusive they've sold, on the pegs. Granted, I may have had a little help from board members here and there, but for the most part, I've had no problems. I also live pretty close to three TRU's and if I'm really looking I can hit many more. I guess living in NJ where TRU is headquartered doesn't hurt either... Don't blame TRU if you only have one in your area and something sells out before you get there. That's life. As for this waves exclusives... Hulkbuster is a whole other animal than Mole Man. I don't think this set will be that desirable to scalpers or kids, both of whom loved Hulkbuster. My motto is: "If I really want it, I'll go to eBay".

Wow. WOW. BEST. TRU. WAVE. EVER.

Seriously, i have never loved a TRU Wave as much as this one; the F4 are something i've been craving for a long time since it was originally brought up in the Wishlist thread, and these look amazing (i'll just smile at the reuse of Phoenix's hair on Sue...they stole my baby's hair... :P)!!!!!!! I cannot imagine coming up with the right words to desribe how much i LOVE this wave.

ALSO, i agree with the Army Builder sentiments. It's most likely just another "Bucky/AIM" scenario where it's an exclusive PAIRING, not set. i can't imagine them making a variant Namor, and an Armybuilder just for TRU is silly, so i'm sure we'll see both in a regular wave. Maybe with a Variant Modern Doom?? Cause all Dooms are REALLY sucking. Except Secret Wars...

EDIT: BUT if i can't find Sue like i can't find HB or Betsy....i swear to the Lords of Kobol im gonna riot at DST's door. ;) seriously....Sue in an Exclusive?? Wahhh??

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

That FA Doom looks nothing like Doom from FF #5

Yeah, I noticed that myself. And the more I think about it, the more it bugs me. A simple chest tampo and some paint for Doom's shoulder cloak, some brown cuffed boots and the Spectre hood would make it look so much better & accurate to me.

I would be guessing this wave would be coming soon since it's been a little while since the previous TRU wave...at least a month or two.

Either way, an updated Fantastic Four at last! XD

• I was hoping we'd see some companion pieces to the X-Force box set in this wave. Hopefully crummy Feral and half-decent Domino will get some company next go-around.

Seconded. Happy to see some updated FF chaps, but would love to see some x-force characters who haven't happened yet.

I'm happy for all of the Fantastic Four fans...it's been a long time since they were shown some love.

Agreed. I've been bleating about x-men all this time, but we really were overdue for some F4

Here's the problem with "chase" figures:

Toys'R'Us doesn't sell cases.

If I'm looking for a TRUX Minimate, that's all I'm looking for. If the store I walk into doesn't have it, I walk out, empty-handed. I don't stick around going "well, this store has disappointed me for the 13th time this week, I think I'll loiter around and see what else I can waste this money that I was saving for Minimates on".

TRU makes no extra money with this bullcrap.

See - that's the thing. If i walk into my TRU and there are no Super Hero Squad figures, i may still pick up a Marvel Universe or IM2 figure.

I'll wager that they are in fact making money from both the exclusives and the random visits from people waiting/hunting for them.

Yeah, I noticed that myself. And the more I think about it, the more it bugs me. A simple chest tampo and some paint for Doom's shoulder cloak, some brown cuffed boots and the Spectre hood would make it look so much better & accurate to me.

Yeah - i think i'll be looking for a spare Spectre hood as well. If you have a look at the back of the pack though, it DOES look like Doom has a chest tampo that more accurately mirror's his frilly collar thingy.

post-2737-1281484171_thumb.jpg

Also - don't know if anyone has noticed, but Doom seems to be packed with Wade Wilsons head so you can have a scarred-up unmasked version of him . . .

Edited by Nessex

Eh. These join a group of 'mates that has swollen considerably as of late, new versions of characters we already have that look great, but they're hard to get excited about. I'm keen on Mole Man, and I'm sure I'll pick up the others, but I feel like there are lots of lost opportunities here. Not every 'mate made before the DC 'mates needs to be redone. I'd have much rather had Grey Gargoyle in place of that Namor, who was 'mated for the first time himself not too long ago, Annhilus instead of another Thing, and the list goes on....

Wow, amazing. This wave is exactly what I've been looking for! New FF mates, all matching suits! A good Sue!

Good work. Really impressed. Really wish they could have put in a Super Skrull though...

That being said, I feel like a doofus and a prophet both. A week ago I wrote into the Ask DST segment asking for a new Fantastic Four wave with Mole Man and Sue and stuff... I can honestly say they truly met my expectations and requests! :D

Well, that's the rub. For people who have access, no, things aren't that bad. For people who don't, yes they are. I guess the difference is, you always have the option of ordering a case and being guaranteed the chase from an LCS wave. For TRU chases, you pretty much have to get lucky at the store or hit ebay.

At the end of the day, though, no amount of complaining we do is going to change the chase figure situation. Every line has them and retail buyers seem to demand them. Chases must trick somebody into buying a "consolation prize," because I can't imagine companies would do them just out of sheer meanness. I have to admit, I have, once or twice, buckled and bought something else rather than leaving emptyhanded...

Ah, but I've got 15 TRUs I can hit. My LCS has NEVER stocked minimates until recently. You can ask some of the old timers about that, I've had to trade/shop online for years because of it. So it's actually easier for me to find mats at a TRU than an LCS. So I'm, not buying your excuse. A town is more likely to have a TRU than a LCS.

All right. Day is done and I gots somes info.

Five possible UPC's that TRU Canada has attached to Marvel wave 8: (I say possible cause they can change at any moment)

Wow, that first one is a little more off then the rest.

Hopefully we will be looking for these by the end of the month (I can only speak for Canada)

I'm not really a minimate completionist but I always try and "complete" the team. After kicking myself in the rear for recently trading for a human torch(invaders set), I realize makes me not want to buy that set. Although right now its hard to make the decision which Thing I like more. Or should I hmebrew the 2? And now I have the Stretch Attack Reed 'cause the WWH, so I don't know what to do about that pack. Plus it gains no favor from, what would be my favorite character, yet continuously a horrible minimate, Doom. I'll settle on the Namor but the defenders one still rocks for having that removable vest.

Don't get me wrong I love the set, I'm just a little confused what to do with it.