UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

If the store I walk into doesn't have it, I walk out, empty-handed. I don't stick around going "well, this store has disappointed me for the 13th time this week, I think I'll loiter around and see what else I can waste this money that I was saving for Minimates on".

THIS!!!

Now it sort of makes sense on paper, you don't find 'x' but you see 'y' so buy it as a consolation prize, you repeat this until you find 'x'... Maybe 'y' isn't a new Wii or a recumbent bicycle or even a peg warmer from the same series of figures you wanted to get the exclusive from, maybe you're like "F**k, well might as well grab a candy bar since I'm snackish and they're right here"... if person makes 13 trips to find 'x' and ALWAYS gets snackish, TRU has made $13 on candy bars they wouldn't have if the toy was there.

However here's how it works in reality:

"Where's Hulkbuster..."

Answer A: "Here it is! Sweet... might as well get some more Stilt-mans too, see how tall I can make him. Oh hey (new movie) has figures! Maybe I'll grab one of these since too since the trailer looked good anyway. Oh look a new flavor of KitKat, I'll try that too! OMNOMNOM"

Answer B: "Not here... S**T!!!! Goddamn Scalpers, oh well, maybe it's at the TRU 3 miles down the road, I better hurry to beat the scalpers!!! TUNEL VISION not seeing any other toys, only the exist and... Kinda snackish, oh hey candy bars!... WHOA!? look at that line, I'll buy a candy bar later..."

at least that's how I am, I'll buy a crap ton of custom fodder when TRU gets in something I want to purchase, but I'll let it rot if there's nothing else NEW I want there.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should have been a regular wave, IMO. But honestly, I would prefer TRU to have completely exclusive waves, despite the potential premium folks have to pay to get them. The do-overs from regular waves just collect dust, which doesn't do anyone any good.

If the store I walk into doesn't have it, I walk out, empty-handed. I don't stick around going "well, this store has disappointed me for the 13th time this week, I think I'll loiter around and see what else I can waste this money that I was saving for Minimates on".

THIS!!!

Now it sort of makes sense on paper, you don't find 'x' but you see 'y' so buy it as a consolation prize, you repeat this until you find 'x'... Maybe 'y' isn't a new Wii or a recumbent bicycle or even a peg warmer from the same series of figures you wanted to get the exclusive from, maybe you're like "F**k, well might as well grab a candy bar since I'm snackish and they're right here"... if person makes 13 trips to find 'x' and ALWAYS gets snackish, TRU has made $13 on candy bars they wouldn't have if the toy was there.

However here's how it works in reality:

"Where's Hulkbuster..."

Answer A: "Here it is! Sweet... might as well get some more Stilt-mans too, see how tall I can make him. Oh hey (new movie) has figures! Maybe I'll grab one of these since too since the trailer looked good anyway. Oh look a new flavor of KitKat, I'll try that too! OMNOMNOM"

Answer B: "Not here... S**T!!!! Goddamn Scalpers, oh well, maybe it's at the TRU 3 miles down the road, I better hurry to beat the scalpers!!! TUNEL VISION not seeing any other toys, only the exist and... Kinda snackish, oh hey candy bars!... WHOA!? look at that line, I'll buy a candy bar later..."

at least that's how I am, I'll buy a crap ton of custom fodder when TRU gets in something I want to purchase, but I'll let it rot if there's nothing else NEW I want there.

Quoted for truth! This is EXACTLY how I am! Now if only the big wigs at TRU would come to their senses and realize that this is the mentality of the real world, then everyone would benefit.

BS

Here's the problem with spending money on other things at TRU when you come up empty handed with what you're looking for: a budget.

I have a budget for toys. When I've spent that budget, I have nothing more to spend. Literally. Penniless.

If I spend my Minimate money on a NECA figure or DCUC, or even another Minimate (GB or BSG), that means I can't buy the Minimate I was looking for until the next time I can budget it. And, if I find it between then, I'm screwed. Hiding them does nothing for me. I have to kiss that 2-pack goodbye until an extremely kind board member hooks me up, or I give up and go to eBay, fueling scalpers (if you charge more than cost + shipping for an item - you're scalping, that's the definition, get over it; you're already out looking for toys either for yourself or to resell at a higher price - scalping - so charging someone for your "time & gas" is bullcrap) - which takes more out of my toy budget than it would have if I'd found it in stores, or had the money when I did find it.

And, I never said "companies do it to be mean". I don't appreciate being made fun of by people who either don't have problems finding these things, or don't see it as much of a big deal if they don't.

And, not only scalpers buy these, either. But another collector - or even Multiverse member - getting to it before me, still means I missed out on it. I don't begrudge anyone else collecting these. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be pissed if I can't.

I don't appreciate being made fun of by people who either don't have problems finding these things, or don't see it as much of a big deal if they don't.

If that was directed at me, I apologize, I was AGREE with you on the flawed logic of TRU, not making fun of you at all rather trying to point out how the "exclusives being hard to find will make people spend more money" logic works in reverse.

And, I never said "companies do it to be mean". I don't appreciate being made fun of by people who either don't have problems finding these things, or don't see it as much of a big deal if they don't.

Likewise, I wasn't making fun of you, either, simply pointing out that chases are a fact of toy collecting life, no matter how much we hate them or think they don't make business sense. Chases make business sense to someone who gets paid to make business decisions, or they wouldn't happen.

I don't appreciate being made fun of by people who either don't have problems finding these things, or don't see it as much of a big deal if they don't.

If that was directed at me, I apologize, I was AGREE with you on the flawed logic of TRU, not making fun of you at all rather trying to point out how the "exclusives being hard to find will make people spend more money" logic works in reverse.

Yeah, I'm in agreement too. I don't think anyone was making fun of you Tenime, I for one haven't had the best of luck finding the Marvel exclusives in my local TRU as of late. I never saw the Warpath, Hulkbuster or Lockjaw sets in a store, ever. And I too am in the same toy budget boat as you my friend, very limited funds means very limited toy collecting. In short, TRUs got their heads up their asses when it comes to exclusives.

BS

I don't think that anyone is making fun of each other, just sharing opinions... It's a chat forum where we discuss toys and that's what I'm seeing here... Discussion, If I thought anyone was maknig fun of anyone in anything like an agressive manner then I would be the first to wade in and ask everyone to play nice.

I totally understand where Tenime is coming from and I have a pretty strict "sell old toys to buy new ones" financial policy due to some unfortunate real world circumstances. If I'm in TRU and looking for mates and they don't have them I will walk out empty handed. The good news is that it seems that these are becoming wider spread, easier to find and at least moderately successful as my stores seem to be stocking Marvel minimates more often than not ( athough at least one other person uses this a their hunting ground fo chases).

The issues with being able to find these are somewhat mitigated by an awesome network of people here who help one another out and If I ever see extra's of the TRU exclusive sets I would pick them up for members on here.

T.

Okay, but also remember that we, on this here board, have gone from being the majority of collectors and buyers of Minimates on the whole, to very less than half of total sales in a few short years. Chuck has said time and time again that their biggest sellers at TRU are kids. And yeah, kids want to get everything for their 'collection' (I know I did) but they and their parents are also more prone to the "can't find X get Y" mentality than we are. Let's face it. If you're on as tight a budget as some of us are, you don't take your kids to Toys R Us for toys and leave without buying something. You don't say "We'll go again tomorrow"

This is just more of a syndrome of us loosing our place at the top of the hill. Some of us (not pointing fingers) are taking longer to adjust.

Also, to whoever said the entire RU wave should be an exclusive, can you imagine how much of a cluster smurf that would be? I mean, I agree, it'd be cool, but also expensive and infuriating to boot.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Really liking the Mole Man and Atlantean Soldier! Even the Torch looks awesome.

Namor and the Thing I can't get too excited about..Sue Storm was needed though.

Still a very cool wave. I've been getting more pumped about the TRU releases lately more than the normal LCS waves.

Pretty nice, though not without faults. Reed, Sue, MoleMan, and Torch look excellent. I'm not really feeling that Thing, but with so many parts to choose from, everyone should be able to find a happy medium. Doom (my favorite character), still after so many attempts, misses the mark and is disappointing (WTH DST?!? Have you been studying Hasbro's business formulas?). This is where it gets difficult for me personally. As much as I love Namor, we already have great versions from the Defenders and Invaders box sets. This is obviously depicting his more recent appearance, but I always wished that in the event that we ever did get another Namor/Submariner that we (o.k., I) might be able to add an Attuma or at least TigerShark to our collection. I fear I just heard my "window of opportunity" slam shut. As cool and unexpected as the Atlantean Soldier is (neeever saw that one coming), I think even I would have preferred either a Doombot or Moloid as an army builder. Though judging by most of the reactions here, it would seem that most of you would have preferred there not be any army builder at all if it is going to be a limited exclusive (and understandably so). Therefore, Attuma was the solution to all our (o.k., again...my) problems! :P

Overall, a pretty slick wave and hopefully one that leads to a stellar (or rather inter-stellar) Series 38 (more FF baddies, perhaps a She-Hulk guest appearance, and of course a planned box set completing my Inhumans...right?). Of course if I'm wrong, then you can just go to Hell! :D

Wow. To me this is wave of the year. All of the FF were due for updates (except Thing, I guess. This version looks like it can be pared down unlike the Wave 37 version). Marvel's First Family really deserves this kind of love, and really ought to be getting something close to the love thrown at Spiderman or Wolverine. And it looks like this wave is entirely parts-reuse.

I'm kind of hoping this a TRU only wave. I normally order the regular wave with variant through other channels, so the TRU versions just waste space, and judging by the shelf activity at my local TRU, that's what everyone else does too.

Edited by Turtle

Parts reuses they may be but I have to say they overall look really good! I'm surprised by this and I too hope it means that it indicates we may get a wave or two out of the FF; right now a movie seems like an impossibility since Fox can't get their act together and everyone else has to wait for the rights to expire so it's all the other marvel franchises having liftoff in that respect really worked out in our favor. We're going to have a ton of Avengers, X-men and Spidey mates for the next two years so it's nice to squeeze in something without a movie tie-in for the near future.

As for the concept of chase figures, I think it's always been pretty moronic. I don't buy anything that I haven't been planning to already so it's always been "get in and get out" in that respect. Besides until recently my TRU barely stocked anything new period so the chances of that happening were even slimmer! Chase figures and variants don't make you buy more, they just make you look harder and do things like run to every Wal-mart in town at 2 in the morning so you can be there when they open cases.

I am so happy that there are no X-Men in this wave, this way I can save some money :P

I kind of agree! Sue looks cool, so does the Atlantean warrior, but not enough for me to justify spending on this set (anyone else think that Mole Man looks like Doc Oc with Moon Knight's cape?). They may be a pass for me, which would save me a ton on ebay since my TRU hasn't even gotten in wave 7.