UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The End....

Let me start by saying this is not meant to be a negative post, but an honest question to the members of this board.

As minimates continue to come wave after wave...(what was it 30+ released at SDCC this year alone?) and as more and more obscure and requested characters get made, it seems we are living in the salad days of minimates.

However, eventually every story has it's end... So some general discussion points / questions.

When the final wave is announced, and shipped, and there is no more minimates left to buy...

What happens to the multiverse? I mean I would assume that it would go along for a while, but for how long?

Would the posts become more about customs, or unfinished wish lists, or just campaigns to petition for their return?

The main reason I ask is, this little piece of the interwebs has kind of become like a second home for me...and you ruthless group of thugs are like a family...a fucked up, totally dysfunctional family, but family none the less.

How long will the core members, stick around, how long can we continue to talk about our collections?

Would you keep your collection after a few months, or sell it off? when there was nothing left to collect would you still find them interesting or fun? I ask this question, because I think (like me) most of you have collected other lines in the past and at some point have given them up for something else...would minimates be replaced by something else?

if so what?

I ask because i honestly think minimates will be the last toy line i collect. I will admit I have looked at other lines, 3.75 marvel, etc but can not bring myself to start another line.

I often wonder if I will keep my entire collection, or will i keep just my core Avengers, I played with that idea for a while

but couldnt give up the bad guys, and batman, and superman...and shit i was right back up to 200+ minimates.

So what do you guys think, how much longer do we have as collectors of minimates before the plug gets pulled?

Will we stay connected after the end of the lines?

Will we drift off to other hobbies and forums?

tell me your thoughts...

I for one wouldn't get rid of any of my mates, just because they got cancelled (or whatever). i'd hold on to them all, and treasure them the same as I do now. I would still post on here, whenever I see anything worth posting about. the general section wouldn't die, as I doubt movies and comics will cease being released as well. lol

that's my two cents.

:(

I don't have answers to many of your questions, but... I'll definitely be keeping my minimates after the eventual brand flatline. I still have my Muppets collection and other "dead" toy lines.

I don't think I'll ever collect anything as extensively I have mates -- in fact, I haven't collected more than a few figures from any other line in ages. Actually I lie, I've collected a few art toy lines, like Labbits, so maybe I'll get more into that side of things post-mates.

I also think we have a few years yet of Marvel, more if DST start releasing improved versions like they've begun to recently (I'm looking at you, Sentry!). And there are plenty of other surprise properties like Ghostbusters, that could spark continued interest beyond that point... Star Wars.

As for the board, I'm not sure how it could continue unless we all forced ourselves to buy and enjoy Kubricks or something... and I like you guys, but that's asking a lot :)

Anyway, compelling, if a tad depressing, post... I'll be interested to see the other responses.

There will definitely be people still trading for a long time, and buying what ever is still out there.

On top of that, we can then move on into customs forever until someone decides, "hey this is what I want to sell" and creates a new line of minimates that also include miniature nuclear engines.

if minimates ever end wich i hope never happens (hoppfully in 30 years dst will still be pumping out wolverine variants and 1 bullseye/moonstone a case) ill keep every single one of my mates and ill try to find any of the ones i dont have. even though ill still collect minis ill probably start collecting marveluniverse figures and superhero squad stuff.

i seriously hope this never happens and i hope the fine gents over at dst and artasylum will continue this awsome line

(my wallet cuts all the phone lines and loads a pistol after hearing that he'll never get a break from minis and walks slowly to my room)

Edited by robomate

I have been contemplating this scenario secretly for somewhile & since I became aware of Littlerubberguys even more so. That forum really brought it home to me what its going to be like when Minimates end. They WILL end because I have learned from you veteran toy-collectors here that all toy-lines end eventually :( ....& I realise you're right.Before MOC's post I was actually going to start a thread "Last man standing?" which was going to generate a light-hearted discussion on who would be 'The Final Six' members actively posting & collecting in the years to come :D

These 'Six' would obviously NOT include me for one obvious reason..............I'd be dead :lol:

I therefore hope this 'verse continues for somewhile yet :P

My Final Six? That's for me to know but I could definitely name you ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

Most likely an unpopular opinion here. But if there were no more marvel waves after 31/32 I'd be happy cos I'd finally have my Captain Britain minimate. :D

Right now I'm not sure that 'mates will end any time soon. I think they're becoming more and more popular as the licences diversify and I'd like to see them become as well known and popular as kubrick are.

Most likely an unpopular opinion here. But if there were no more marvel waves after 31/32 I'd be happy cos I'd finally have my Captain Britain minimate. :D

Right now I'm not sure that 'mates will end any time soon. I think they're becoming more and more popular as the licences diversify and I'd like to see them become as well known and popular as kubrick are.

I was going to post the same thing about the range being diversified and going along the same route kubricks.

Things will continue forever in some form or another, the verse (or at least the community) has survived for years, from the noisy evil shit that was the AA boards to the IP address forum to this place, even this place is a world of difference to what it once was (remember when the community had ONE minimates section and a customs area full of bitter trekkies?), even if minimates die id imagine this place would become Minifigure Multiverse (which its already showing signs of) and the world will continue as ever.

Hell I havent bought a mate in nearly two years and i still lurk!

The only toy line I have ever collected in its entirety was Simpson's World of Springfield, and while I haven't taken them out of storage in a while, I can't see myself ever getting rid of them (or my Minimates). But, things change, and as the line dies, I expect folks to walk away, and some will always hold on to the memories of the good times. Others will focus on the next big thing. For me, this is my last toy line. I'll let the next generation collect whatever comes after.

Good Times... okay, I'd like an initial 4-pack Florida, James, JJ, and Thelma, and a PX 2-pack of Willona & Bookman.

THEN I can stop collecting Minimates...

The main reason I like Marvel minimates is that it allows me to have the entire Marvel universe contained in a relatively small space. I stopped collecting Marvel Legends, because even with an entire bookshelf full, I could only have part of the universe, and never the whole thing. I can't see myself ever getting rid of my marvel minimates, because I will never be able to achieve that same sense of completeness with another line. Even though there are many characters I still want, I can look at my shelf right now and feel happy at the breadth of characters available there. Of course, about 1/4 of the minimates on my shelf are customs now. I would keep on customizing and running the Factory long after the line died. And I would keep coming here to talk about customs, comics, and life in general. :)

I, too, have forseen the eventual demise of bhm Minimates and have already begun transferring my knowledge and enjoyment of them to my sons. I suspect, if they following my training, that one day it will be the children of Multiversers that will carry on the torch of this site. And, sadly, during those dark years it will be the likes of our current younger members to rally them to push for a renewed licensing of Minimates. The imagination can't comprehend what the Minimate of the future will be like when they are brought back for our children and grandchildren (well, at least for those able to find a mate). I believe our current passion will become someone's retro obsession in years to come.

Or when they end, this place falls apart like so many boards do. It could go either way.

Well honestly, it's been too much fun talking to you guys on here. I will stay until the Multiverse is no longer interesting. Out of curiosity, do I count as a core memeber? My Minimates are staying. There are very very few I would ever get rid of. Hell, I've been thinking about getting into Minimate comic making. I just don't have the time or the patience. I've got some good stories too...

But if all else fails, and minimates are cancelled, and if this board falls, let's keep the memories. I'll miss the good conversation. I don't get enough of it in the real world. I know about 6 people in the real world who I can have a just damn good conversation with. Here, it's a good amount. Thanks guys for being awesome.

LONG LIVE THE MINIMATE MULTIVERSE! LONG LIVE MINIAMTES! MAKE KANG!

I can't see Minimates really coming to an end unless DST comes to an end. If Marvel were to pull out at some point, I think the sheer number of other licenses DST has brought to the table shows that Minimates could survive in some fashion. It might not be the golden era with hundreds of new figures produced a year, but they'd still have a presence.

But, yeah, I suppose an ending is inevitable. If I'm alive to see it, I can see myself hanging around here as long as its still fun to do so. Hell, the "beating a dead horse" threads alone would offer up months of entertainment.

I do think there will still be a "here" to come to, though. Even if Shanester stepped down, it wouldn't be surprising to see someone pick up the torch and continue to run with it, even if it was named something else. Maybe I could start collecting Minimate websites once the Minimates themselves dry up? Or worse, start collecting the collectors themselves once they start passing on. :blink:

As far as the fabled Final 6 are concerned, I can see myself making it to the sweet 16 before making a critical error in the final minutes of the game, from there it'll come down to the buzzer.

I pray minimates live on for a while longer. I gave up collecting 3.75" Star Wars to concentrate all my efforts (and cash) on minimates. It's been 2 years since I gave up SW, but I haven't parted ways with any of my collection. If and when minimates go the way of the dodo, I imagine I'll hold on to them forever. These little guys are the ideal collectible and will remain in the hearts and minds of collectors years after they disappear from toyshelves. And what better forum to talk about minimates than here? Besides we'll need each other for grief counseling when the line evntually dies.

I, too suspect Minimates will be around for a good long time. The brand seems like it's really hitting its stride, DST has plans in place to bring in the next generation of fans, and there are always going to be more Spidey mates to make. To be honest, I think the brand is going to outlast a lot of us. We're going to get the characters we want, our priorities are going to change, and long-time board fixtures are going to drift away and be replaced by new ones. "Old timers" who posted every day when I first came on board, like Reideen, Danny and Ady have stepped back, and new guys like Luke and Bob Harris have stepped up to become major parts of the community.

That said, I experienced a "what happens now" moment when I collected Xevoz a couple years back. I was a rabid contributor to that board. When the line was going strong, we had a huge, vibrant community. When it looked like the line was going to be cancelled, there was an explosion in interest, petitions, desperate deals with prototype sellers in Singapore, etc. Then, after the line finally died, people just started going their separate ways. There were still hard-core fans and customizers who stuck around, but, without new figures to talk about and stoke interest, our collecting priorities changed. I still poke my head in over there every so often, and there are a handful of people driving the conversation now.

And, yes, I thought Zevox had ruined me for any other toyline. But, for anyone who's read my origin story, you know there's always something new around the corner if you're a kid at heart. :)

I think if they are over, I'll stop collecting toys with the exception of figures of my favorite characters that are really good. otherwise, i'll just be me on here talking about the good old days... plus i can't leave, i think some ppl like hearing about my experience at "this crappy job" ;)

p.s. those characters would be Batman and his wards, Joker, Deadpool and Question

As long as DST makes a profit and they hold/get licenses, I don't see mates going anywhere. This place will always be alive in some form or another, and I agree that when/if Shane steps down, someone else will step up. I will still be here as long as my wife doesn't kill me :P

BS

Funny enough, I was thinking this exact thing yesterday. I wonder what it is that is making us think about this?

Anyway, it is tough for me to say how I would respond. As BHM posted recently, perhaps there are some who love Minimates as much as I do, but I doubt anyone loves them more than I do. Though I dabble in other toys and probably will into the foreseeable future, these are currently my undisputed favorites. Similarly, this is by far my favorite website. In the past, I would spend my free time and breaks from work reading the news (sad perhaps, but true). Now, I have no idea what's going on in the world thanks to this site. I like to think that I have made some friends here, and I truly enjoy the conversations I have here almost every day.

But having said that, I've felt quite strongly about things before, and when the interest dies out, I have moved on. This goes for both my hobbies and my romantic life :) Hell, I was as hard-core a GI Joe fan as I know of about a year or two ago, but recently I put all my "25th Anniversary" figures into the closet, and had no problems doing so. I can't imagine losing my love for Minimates, but knowing my past behavior, I can't say with certainty that it will remain once there were no new releases to look forward to. I hope my feelings won't change, though.

Edited by karamazov80

Admit it MOC, you're just counting down the days until your feathered minions kill us all and leave you the last surviving Minimate man in the world :P

Like many others here, I sincerely believe Minimates will last a lot longer than we think. In the short year or so I've started collecting them the Multiverse has become one of my most favoritest places ever on the web. And if the line ever does end (*knock on wood*), it would be nice to still be able to keep in touch with the 'verse's denizens. As for my collection, Minimates are the one line I've ever collected this extensively (meaning the first time I've ever collected 100+ of anything... well, besides weird books) and I can't imagine ever parting with them. They're just too much fun! :D