UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars Box Set

drgnrbrn316

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote for Spidey, but if it's in there I'm not going to be too bummed by it. It's a really cool look for the character.

And I don't want a Spider Woman either. It looks better than the original, but I'd rather have a new character. And for those of you who are mad about a variant being re-released after DST has said that they wouldn't do that, just remember some of what else DST has said they wouldn't do in the past-fan based polls to determine characters and not doing two faces on a Minimate. They've changed some of their stands on things and (mostly) it's been a good thing.

I have a theory.

If you'll notice, there are conveniently just enough characters for two box sets, with both Beyonder and Captain Marvel having "chase variants." It occurred to me that this may be a ploy to help them determine how to split them up and distribute the characters across each box by relative popularity.

Then when they announce at the end of all of this that there will really be 2 box sets, it'll look like they're doing us a big favor. Great PR. However, it will really suck trying to pin down those variants...

This is just a guess on my part, mind you.

I like this theory.

However, I have always maintained the belief that DST is unlikely to release two boxsets of the same event. (The confirmation of the Dark Avengers "compliment" set may change my opinion on the matter) Probably DST's trying to figure out the lineups for a boxset and either a future wave or a two-pack exclusive. At this rate I'm HOPING we get either Captain Marvel or Beyonder in the boxset so their alternate versions won't go to waste if my theory is right.

Eh, I'm sure DST can whip something up at the last minute.

I think you have to figure in this is a boxset for TRU. TRU has become the 'wild card' in exclusives here recently. There's no question in my mind that two of the ones that don't make it in this set might show up as a two pack exclusive with some other wave. You never know with them.

For all we know, those 10 figures are an upcoming TRU wave. 3 sets plus a box set?

At least, I hope things pan out that way. If its truly only the one box set with no compliment, then it isn't so much "pick 4 of your favorites to go in this set" so much as "pick 6 of your favorites to go in the furnace".

As for the way votes are stacking, someone needs to explain to those people that if he doesn't make this set, there is no way in hell that Chuck will let Symbiote Bond Spider-Man sit on the shelf of never-made figures. That vote could be better spent on a character like Molecule Man, Beyonder, or heck, even Spider-Woman, who will likely never get another chance at the Minimate treatment. (I realize that we have a Spider-Woman, but if we want an update on her, this is likely the only chance before the "variant rule" slams the door shut)

Also Fwoosh have got joined in and agree there is more then enough Spideys :)http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.p...3&start=585

Man - there's a bit of X-Men hate out there, isn't there. I didn't realise there was such contempt for them in the comic-reading community. It's always been my favourite ongoing series, so i am pretty biased i guess. But as i've said before, it's be nice to have a mainstream release of a 616 Storm. The GSXM one was pretty hard to come by if i understand correctly - once as a boxset exclusive, and once as a pretty limited release through the target 2-packs? Or am i misinformed?

Personally - I'd rather see Spider-Woman, Storm, Photon & Energy Form Beyonder, but voted for MoleculeMan as i doubt we'll see him if he doesn't make this box-set.

I think the X hate comes from Wolverine and Marvels way of trying to get him in every single comic they produce. I like Wolverine but it seems to be that if Marvel run out of idea for a comic or they sales are slipping they put in Wolverine or the X-men to try and boost sales. Maybe all this is just the jaded old comic fan in me.

Also Fwoosh have got joined in and agree there is more then enough Spideys :)http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.p...3&start=585

Man - there's a bit of X-Men hate out there, isn't there. I didn't realise there was such contempt for them in the comic-reading community.

Its because the book hasn't been readable since say issue 200. Too many characters and no writer willing to "go the distance" and sort the dangling plot lines properly. X-Writers always seem to shoot for the quick fix. Retcons and "mini reboots" don't cut it.

Now to get things back on track, Go Molecule Man!

When I saw that Spidey got over 125 votes yesterday I thought the race is over. But Molecule Man and ("bastardized") Beyonder weren't this close to get in that box since the beginning! Man, that is exciting! As I write this, Molecule Man is lousy 8, Beyonder 14 votes behind Sponder Man!

You know, as unethical as it would be, I am damn tempted to go over to one of the computer labs on campus, and place 20 votes each for Molecule Man and Beyonder, making them the 3rd and 4th place figures. I won't do it, but I wouldn't feel too bad if I did. The Spidey variant insanity has got to stop.

Most of the hate comes from the way Marvel oversaturated the X-men in the '90s, just pouring out new books and characters one after the other. When it comes to toys, a lot of us feel slighted when minor characters from those books get made into toys just because of the X-men association, and variations of them are made over and over before other characters get a chance. When people start demanding that "we need Jim Lee Cyclops"... well, no we don't. We've gotten plenty of Cyclopses already. We need Quasar!

That said, Storm is one of the three characters in the SW poll that I want to see in the box. That's a very unique look, and there haven't been a lot of other Storm Minimates.

I just voted for Beyonder... this seemed like a no-brainer to me since he's the face behind the Secret Wars AND he'd be a new character we haven't gotten yet...

Let me say, I was SORELY dissapointed when I saw teh current poll results... why, why, WHY is a crappy Spider-Man variant in the top four! WHY!?

It's not even a good Spider-Man... it's like the Peter Parker/Spidey "Spidey Sense" variant... it works as an illustration technique, but as a toy it's... lame.

I can excuse Captain Marvel & Molecule Man, because they're new characters, and Storm is a little excusable because it's an unmade costume with a fairly unique look to it... but the Spidey is just lame!

I can't believe Beyonder isn't even in the top four. This stinks.

The fix is in!!

Note how Spider-Man is always EXACTLY 10 or 15 votes ahead of Molecule Man. Nice, convenient multiples of 5... Hmm... I have a hard time believing that 150 people would willingly pick Spider-Man as their sole choice, above the other 9.

(yes, it gives me great pleasure to concoct nefarious conspiracy theories...)

You know, as unethical as it would be, I am damn tempted to go over to one of the computer labs on campus, and place 20 votes each for Molecule Man and Beyonder, making them the 3rd and 4th place figures. I won't do it, but I wouldn't feel too bad if I did. The Spidey variant insanity has got to stop.

Go for it.

Being ethical is lame.

Take every chance there is.

:P

Man I'd be totally behind that. Do it!

I think the X hate comes from Wolverine and Marvels way of trying to get him in every single comic they produce. I like Wolverine but it seems to be that if Marvel run out of idea for a comic or they sales are slipping they put in Wolverine or the X-men to try and boost sales. Maybe all this is just the jaded old comic fan in me.

You're right about Wolverine having a lot of exposure - but we've dealt with 4+ Spiderman titles and 30+ Spiderman minimates, but i don't hear an outcry when we receive a Spiderman related character. . . apart from Spiderman himself.

Yeah - i have to admit. . . i tried to vote a second time from a different computer at work, but It wouldn't let me :ohmy:. I think the website recognises your IP and wont let you vote more than once.

Please don't judge me harshly . . . i just love MiniMates so much. LOL.