UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars Box Set

drgnrbrn316

Just thought I'd post a quick poll update:

* Ben Grimm (4%, 62 Votes)

* Beyonder (13%, 190 Votes)

* Beyonder (Energy Form) (6%, 84 Votes)

* Captain Marvel (15%, 223 Votes)

* Captain Marvel (Energy Form) (2%, 24 Votes)

* Dr Doom (11%, 160 Votes)

* Molecule Man (13%, 187 Votes)

* Spider-Woman (9%, 126 Votes)

* Storm (13%, 190 Votes)

* Symbiote Bond Spider-Man (14%, 197 Votes)

Total Voters: 1,443

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way about the Molecule Man.

ditto. I want as many original mates as possible.

beyonder, captain marvel, molecule man and (i guess) dr. doom would be my top 4, but they could just as soon make it a 3 pack i'd be okay with that (not holding my breath)

Argh, this is getting frustrating, I checked last night and Molecule Man had managed to come back and is now tied with the Beyonder for fourth place, and was only nine votes from taking the third place slot from Spider-Man, but I just checked today and Spider-Man somehow got another vote since 1 AM last night and now there's ten between the two again. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I find it very suspicious that Spider-Man has gotten so many votes, and now whenever someone appears to be approaching him in the votes he gets a new bunch of votes to protect his position. I find nothing suspicious about Storm's success, she's a popular character with a unique look in the set, but this Spider-man beating out so many new characters? Strange.

As long as Molecule Man beats the fraking Disco Beyonder (they are tied for 4th right now) I'll be happy with results. I've come to terms with the fact that Spidey will be in the pack, and I really want those Storm and Monica Rambeau mates. But Disco Beyonder over Molecule Man.... :down:

but this Spider-man beating out so many new characters? Strange.

I find nothing suspicious about Storm's success, she's a popular character with a unique look in the set,

You *may* have just answered your own question... ;)

I know he's Spider-Man, but these kinds of variations on a main character have never appealed to me, even when I was a kid which is the demographic that allegedly eats those things up. I got the main character and moved on, never wanted a million versions of him. I understand Storm because she's popular and had this look, which is very unique in and of itself, for a while in the books, whereas Spidey had this look for....one panel? Maybe two? The Black suit is iconic, the changing into it, not so much. Maybe there's a huge fanbase out there for Spider-Man in between costume changes, but I feel like if I had no interest in minimates and wandered onto AA's page and wanted to vote, I'd go for Dr. Doom, as he's very iconic also and isn't having an identity crisis about his wardrobe. I just think it's odd that the main reason we keep hearing that Spidey's getting so many votes is because he's a big name character, but so is Doom and he's eating it pretty hard on votes right now.

I know he's Spider-Man, but these kinds of variations on a main character have never appealed to me, even when I was a kid which is the demographic that allegedly eats those things up. I got the main character and moved on, never wanted a million versions of him. I understand Storm because she's popular and had this look, which is very unique in and of itself, for a while in the books, whereas Spidey had this look for....one panel? Maybe two? The Black suit is iconic, the changing into it, not so much. Maybe there's a huge fanbase out there for Spider-Man in between costume changes, but I feel like if I had no interest in minimates and wandered onto AA's page and wanted to vote, I'd go for Dr. Doom, as he's very iconic also and isn't having an identity crisis about his wardrobe. I just think it's odd that the main reason we keep hearing that Spidey's getting so many votes is because he's a big name character, but so is Doom and he's eating it pretty hard on votes right now.

I've already gone into this earlier in the thread, but (deep breath)... just because most of us here, as hardcore collectors with hundreds of mates each, would much prefer new characters to another Spidey, that doesn't mean its representative of all Minimate collectors everywhere. There are casual buyers (I was one for a long time) who'd just like another Spidey, and despite the funny way you take the piss out of the mate as a simple wardrobe change :lol:, it was a very iconic moment for the character, and relevant to Secret Wars itself, so there are also hardcore collectors that want him (several have posted in this thread). There are also collectors on both levels who never read Secret Wars, and so have no nostalgia for Molecule Man or Doom in a muscle shirt or whoever, and so just vote for the cool looking Spidey. So I'm not in any way talking about people who have "no interest in minimates" just wandering into the poll.

We know from DST that Spidey sells more than anything else, and we know from the living in the world that Spidey is very very popular (and no, Doom is nowhere near as big a name). I just think it's silly that every "we don't want another Spidey" post automatically turns into "there must be a DST conspiracy" rather than just accepting that your opinion may not be the opinion of everyone else in the world. If DST wanted him in the set that bad, they'd have made 3 spots fan choice, or made it into a 5 mate box set. They wouldn't bother cheating in their own poll. They don't need to anyway, because Spidey is very very popular. The Minimate-buying masses don't always think the way we think they should (see the popularity of DSS, or the cancelling of any set/series we think should have been a guaranteed hit).

(And again, this isn't me defending my vote -- I voted Storm, and I'd much rather get a Doom or Spiderwoman than a Spidey. Though I do think the Spidey is cool. And I'm pretty sure all the anti-Spidey voting is to blame for that crap Michael Jackson Beyonder now potentially kicking MM out of the set, which sucks.)

I'm not implying my opinion is that of every one else, simply stating that I don't understand why everyone would want yet another version of Spider-Man when there are 30, including more than a few related to Black Costume Spider-Man, especially when Wave 30 has shown us DST will seize any Spider-Man costume for inclusion in a future wave. As for people who have never read Secret Wars, I think that's a bit of a hollow argument, since the entire set is about Secret Wars. True, no one is obligated to know one bit about the story to vote, but I would hope people would at least be interested to know who the characters are if they feel compelled to vote in a poll about the story. I know Doom isn't as big a name, but definitely a big name, and very close to his classic look unlike both Spider-Man and Storm who are wiping the floor with him, hence my point that people voting for what they know seems odd when there are three well known characters but only two are experiencing any strong support.

If you review my posts, I never implied that DST has a part in any conspiracy to get Spidey in the set. I'm sure they'd love it if he wins a spot, my point was that I feel like there are a lot of casual people voting who are voting for Spider-Man just because they know him but have no interest in the set, and perhaps some people voting multiple times to get him in there. I could be completely wrong, we'll never know.

I guess I just find it really strange that in the first ever fan poll for minimates which is something people have been asking DST to do for years in the Q+A's, that we're seeing all this support for yet another Spider-Man. Why ask for the ability to influence what product gets made when the votes go to someone who has been made so many times anyway? It's disappointing to think that in our first real chance to have our opinion matter we're likely to end up with one or two new characters, and two that we've just found out are getting made in waves 29 and 30 anyway.

Well, I have tried to answer your question about why anyone would vote Spidey (I realize it was rhetorical/unasked :P). What I said about the conspiracy stuff was in reference to many other posts on the board, not just yours, but the part in yours that made me think you were also implying a DST conspiracy was in your original post when you said this:

Spider-Man somehow got another vote since 1 AM last night and now there's ten between the two again. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I find it very suspicious that Spider-Man has gotten so many votes, and now whenever someone appears to be approaching him in the votes he gets a new bunch of votes to protect his position. I find nothing suspicious about Storm's success, she's a popular character with a unique look in the set, but this Spider-man beating out so many new characters? Strange.

So I'm sorry for misreading your meaning that it was individuals cheating rather than DST, but my point is the same -- it only seems strange to you because you can't see why anyone would want another Spidey. But there are plenty of reasons why they would (and clearly do), as I already listed. People voting for different reasons than us doesn't necessarily mean anything fishy is going on.

Having said that, yeah people have definitely voted multiple times. They've said as much in this thread, but that's all been votes against Spidey (ie. trying to knock him out of the set by boosting up MM and Beyonder). This likely means people have voted multiple times for Spidey too, sure. The vast majority of votes are still going to be legit though, when you're talking about 1500+ votes. Just to make a dent in that you'd have to cheat a whole lot, and to sustain Spidey's top 4 position if no one was really voting for him would be impossible for anyone other than DST...

I totally get the disappointment/frustration of this being a fan poll, but not reflecting the consensus of what Multiversers (as the line's biggest fans) would want to see in a perfect set. Ideally, people who aren't Secret Wars fans wouldn't vote, people who aren't going to buy the set wouldn't vote, and (for some) people who are both a SW fan and going to buy the set *but* believe Spidey deserves a slot wouldn't vote... but it's a fan poll, so they all can. As such I just don't find it particularly weird that more people want their 31st (or their 3rd or 15th or whatever) Spidey than a Molecule Man.

All just my opinion of course :) If my last post read like I was attacking you specifically, I didn't intend it to. Something about all the anger directed at this Spidey just makes me want to defend the poor little bastard (usually at unfortunate length).

Edited by battlecat

Well, I have tried to answer your question about why anyone would vote Spidey (I realize it was rhetorical/unasked :P). What I said about the conspiracy stuff was in reference to many other posts on the board, not just yours, but the part in yours that made me think you were also implying a DST conspiracy was in your original post when you said this:

Spider-Man somehow got another vote since 1 AM last night and now there's ten between the two again. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I find it very suspicious that Spider-Man has gotten so many votes, and now whenever someone appears to be approaching him in the votes he gets a new bunch of votes to protect his position. I find nothing suspicious about Storm's success, she's a popular character with a unique look in the set, but this Spider-man beating out so many new characters? Strange.

So I'm sorry for misreading your meaning that it was individuals cheating rather than DST, but my point is the same -- it only seems strange to you because you can't see why anyone would want another Spidey. But there are plenty of reasons why they would (and clearly do), as I already listed. People voting for different reasons than us doesn't necessarily mean anything fishy is going on.

Having said that, yeah people have definitely voted multiple times. They've said as much in this thread, but that's all been votes against Spidey (ie. trying to knock him out of the set by boosting up MM and Beyonder). This likely means people have voted multiple times for Spidey too, sure. The vast majority of votes are still going to be legit though, when you're talking about 1500+ votes. Just to make a dent in that you'd have to cheat a whole lot, and to sustain Spidey's top 4 position if no one was really voting for him would be impossible for anyone other than DST...

I totally get the disappointment/frustration of this being a fan poll, but not reflecting the consensus of what Multiversers (as the line's biggest fans) would want to see in a perfect set. Ideally, people who aren't Secret Wars fans wouldn't vote, people who aren't going to buy the set wouldn't vote, and (for some) people who are both a SW fan and going to buy the set *but* believe Spidey deserves a slot wouldn't vote... but it's a fan poll, so they all can. As such I just don't find it particularly weird that more people want their 31st (or their 3rd or 15th or whatever) Spidey than a Molecule Man.

All just my opinion of course :) If my last post read like I was attacking you specifically, I didn't intend it to. Something about all the anger directed at this Spidey just makes me want to defend the poor little bastard (usually at unfortunate length).

No worries, one of the things I like most about this forum is that people can disagree without it becoming unpleasant. I reread my posts earlier and can see why it came off wrong, what I meant was that I felt like someone who really wanted Spidey for some reason was voting for him every time another character got close to him, but either way at the end of the day I can't do much about Spider-Man's likely place in this box set.

After some thought, I wish DST had allowed us to choose four, in essence choose our own assortment for the box set, as I feel like we'd get a better idea of a character's overall popularity. I really liked the Ben Grimm minimate, but wanted Molecule Man most so I had to pass on him. I also think the Captain Marvel and the Beyonder's energy forms are costing them some votes, as if you combine the two Beyonder becomes a much bigger success and Captain Marvel's lead becomes enormous. My girlfriend when she saw it wanted me to vote for the Beyonder's energy form, even after I explained that he would be pretty much useless without a normal Beyonder. Overall I appreciate the opportunity to vote, I just hope this isn't the last time DST and Art Asylum decide to give us some power over our purchases.

After some thought, I wish DST had allowed us to choose four, in essence choose our own assortment for the box set, as I feel like we'd get a better idea of a character's overall popularity.

Definitely, it would have made for a lot less "strategic voting" and a clearer picture of what people actually want in the set... Ideally they'd also have some way to register voters or make sure it was one vote per person, but even then I'm sure some would find a way around it.

I hope we get more fan votes too. Despite a couple frustrating elements, it's been very cool to have a direct say in things. I do feel like DST generally pays a lot more attention to our whining and requesting characters, and has a bigger connection with the collectors, than any other toy company I've followed, at least since Palisades back in the day. Plus the staff definitely seem to love the property as much as we do, which is always a good thing...

Valo... dude... Tonight is your night. :angry:

I have started a reply TWICE now, trying to rip your argument, and by extension, you, apart. But each time I started, you made me SO... I seriously can not... Just... Dude, PLEASE shut up! :wallbash:

Accept the facts that:

1) Spidey WILL be in the box set

2) It is NOT a conspiracy theory

3) This is a fan poll. Fans are voting. It isn't listed in ToyFare, or on CNN.com. It's on some back woods hick website for a product line that the rest of the world barely cares about (Sorry Matt&Chuck. :( ) Since this is a Fan Poll, and Fans are voting, and Spidey is willing, the fact is trust towards you that FANS LIKE THIS SPIDEY!!! If he was black, maybe not. If he was read, probably a lot less likely. But this is a variant on a vital look that we have never had before pertaining both to the comic book in general, and to THIS BOX SET. He belongs there.

4) There is no conspiracy. There is no plot. There is (probably) no double voting, seeing as how Matt said they had a script error, fixed it and adjusted it. So they ARE watching the poll to fix he issue.

5) Your OPINION that "Storm is a popular character with an iconic look" and that you already have a Spidey and don't need another one DOESN"T MEAN JACK if 15 people disagree with you. You keep stating that we can't get a true feel for this poll. If everyone HAD picked their top 4, do you realize Spidey would most likely be in the #1 spot right now? This IS the poll. These ARE the choices. Spidey IS that popular.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Ugh, thanks for reminding me why I stay off the TF boards. :down:

Definitely, it would have made for a lot less "strategic voting" and a clearer picture of what people actually want in the set...

They should have just left the "number/percentage of votes placed" numbers off the site, IMO. Then, people (self included) would have voted for who they wanted, rather than who they wanted who looked like he/she might not make it into the top 4 at the time of voting. As such, we would have no worries about the dumb Jheri curl beyonder stealing Molecule Man's well-deserved spot. And we sure as hell wouldn't have to worry about mohawk Storm not making it. Her potentially being left out is a direct function of people voting for either Jheri curl or Molecule Man (no doubt using multiple computers, etc.) in order to get their "pet" wacky, out-of-left-field character into the set with the others.