UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

Astronauts is a different thing, you'll see it at Toy Fair.

Our esteemed Greek colleague started the speculation thread, which does not surprise me AT ALL. But don't ban Kostis, he meant well. Sorry I dragged it into the mud.

That cutout was at SDCC 2011, and I do not believe Chuck got into it. I don't think they'll even let me bring it back. :(

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night as I was falling asleep and thinking of minimates (you know, like you do) it hit me. I know what the big reveal is going to be: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Stick with me here: 'universally' beloved, an older movie, and (in another thread) Zach talked about trying to do something with Astronauts.

It's a big enough property that could warrant a small toyline, but small enough that it could be just one wave and be done with.

It's MGM and we've had it confirmed that the property is either Disney or WB, would be a fun box set though, couple of astronauts a monkey and a spaceship vehicle?

Also with all the drama I missed the comments about Jaws, IMO that would make a great box set: Quint, Hooper, Brody and the shark... near perfect 4 pack IMO.

T.

I thought of & dismissed the '2001' movie because there didn't seem to be a logical 'vehicle' that stuck out other than H.A.L. ,I'd assumed it was WBros, I had thought all Kubrick movies were....but Tim,of course is right.

That idea led me to 'Capricorn One' which is loosely based on a conspiracy-theory that the US government faked the landing of US astronauts on Mars ...many people drew comparisons with the other conspiracy theory that the original US Moon landings were faked. Check both films out, neither will disappoint.

I'd love astronaut Minimates & it still amazes me how few Apollo 11 toys have been made .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Bring back M.A.X. MAX Astronauts would be awesome. I want MAX to be the Adventure People of 2013 and beyond. Fisher Price Adventure People for the younglings. Look it up.

Bring back M.A.X. MAX Astronauts would be awesome. I want MAX to be the Adventure People of 2013 and beyond. Fisher Price Adventure People for the younglings. Look it up.

Adventure People were my favorite toys as a kid, loved them even more than Star Wars figures. I also want MAX to be the new Adventure People. Of course, we will need motorcycles.

513-adv-cycle-1.jpg

If this astronaut line happens... it's big. I mean, oh, man. You guys are gonna flip.

Planet of the Apes is great and all, but Tim Burton ruined that property for me. And Kubrick did so, so much with it. So much.

When I think of all the things we're about to announce, and how you all will react... I get a big grin on my face.

I want you to say no to Peter Pan Zach, Please?

Fine, it's not Peter Pan. :rolleyes:

But... I was just warming up to it being Peter Pan. :whistling:

When I think of all the things we're about to announce, and how you all will react... I get a big grin on my face.

Is it the kind of grin a father gets on Christmas when his son opens up that Red Ryder BB Gun he's been asking for all year, or is it the grin a little kid gets when his brother opens up the bunny rabbit pajamas?

If this astronaut line happens... it's big. I mean, oh, man. You guys are gonna flip.

Planet of the Apes is great and all, but Tim Burton ruined that property for me. And Kubrick did so, so much with it. So much.

I guess you could consider the Nostromo crew from ALIEN as astronauts...

You're right, Zach, that announcement will be awesome!!! :highfive2:

I was actually thinking about that line before we landed on Peter Pan. Box set 1: Kane, Ripley, Ash, and a xenomorph, with egg and face hugger accessories; box set 2: Ripley, Bishop, Newt, and bulked up xenomorph queen; vehicle is the powerloader with BD Ripley.

WIN!

Buuuuut, the Alien franchise is Fox.

Edited by Lobsterman

Since earlier in this thread Warner Brothers Film was mentioned and prior to the 1970's WIKI has a list of films take a look it might help or hinder speculation:

List or Warner Brothers Films on WIKI

1960's Bonnie and Clyde Bonnie and Clyde film info Lots of award nominations a number of cinematic firsts, and a poop ton of well known performers.

Edited by Bsore

OK so my serious guess on the Astronaut thing is:

Disneys "The Black Hole"

T.

Damn I was just about to come on and post "Black Hole" it was the astronaut comment that was rattling around in my head and what would make nerds like us geek out.

I'm going to have to dig out the movie now as the human characters don't stick out to me but the little droid with the pop up head does and the big red bad guy and droid soldiers.

I was actually thinking about that line before we landed on Peter Pan. Box set 1: Kane, Ripley, Ash, and a xenomorph, with egg and face hugger accessories; box set 2: Ripley, Bishop, Newt, and bulked up xenomorph queen; vehicle is the powerloader with BD Ripley.

WIN!

Buuuuut, the Alien franchise is Fox.

I would freak out if we got Alien! That would be absolutely sensational.

But make them waves. Say a couple of waves and the troop builders could be Xenos and marines. Simple head swaps for the marines and you've got a heck of a lot of fun on your hands.

Black Hole minimates would be fun too, but my main hope would be that it would eventually lead us down the Tron route. I know Kubricks did it, but I can see minimates improving on all that they did. 'Someone' on here may say otherwise.

As for Zach and his taunting.....tell us, tell us now!

I created this thread for fun so i'm happy that the whole mess got cleared up and we are again having fun talking about astronauts.I litterally can't wait for this line! If it's alien,oh my!Screw dc and star wars (for the time being) army building here i come! Alien is one of those movies which manage to be frightening yet action packed.I can't wait to army build some xenos!And we might get the power loader!Yes!So many possibillities and toy fair is only a month and something away!

Edited by Kostisfire

Sorry Kostisfire, I got blasted for a tongue in cheek comment to a friend of mine (MOC) then when i tried to support my OPINIONS everything blew up and folks started piling on, now i have a MOD out to get me, changing my profile content etc... was not my intention to derail your thread, again sorry

Id love some black hole mates or Tron,and Aliens would be cool beyond belief

Edited by Mattallica