UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

At this point, it'll be something along the lines of Desperately Seeking Susan.So random and out of the blue. I'd never even heard of that movie until I saw the toys.

As mentioned earlier, even if it is something 'meh', I'll still look to it for new sculpts of parts/pieces for customs. Honestly, I'm content with getting the new Fantastic Four wave and calling it good......until another epic wave is revealed of 'must-haves' Marvel characters. It's like Marvel Legends all over again- they've pretty much made all my favorites at this point- and as for the ones they haven't- I'll either make my own or continue to wait and hold out like everybody else.

I'm keeping my mouth shut now- one less bottle of Tylenol for Zach. :thumbsup:

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh... the TRU deal has probably saved Minimates. :confused:

Saved from what? they were doing just fine without TRU and look in just the last week or two how many people have posted their frustration with the way the TRU system(doesn't)work and that they may stop trying to get them. you think that helps the line?

Five. Five people said they were stopping collecting Minimates because they couldn't get exclusives. Even though fellow board members saints kept saying "YOO-HOO, I HAVE THEM!" And just because sets of Minimates were coming out doesn't mean they were doing fine. Having mass market support is key to a low-price-point line's continued existence. (And yes, these are a low price point. Sideshow and Hot Toys don't need TRU. Minimates do, although Walmart would do in a pinch.)

Anyway as ive said a couple of times now, yes they are not for me, there are other properties that could/should get mated that wont if the line is slowly consumed by Disney, Thats what they do, buy up properties and milk them dry. i'd hate to see that happen to minimates. I mean how likely would DC/WB etc.. mates be if Disney had any "influence" in what gets mated.

Uh... we aren't selling out to Disney. I can't imagine what situation would result in which Disney (and we've been working for Disney for a few years now!) would dictate what other products we make. They may not buy them for their stores, but as long as TRU and/or comic shops want an item, that won't affect us -- and we will always sell products to the specialty market, because we're sister companies with the largest distributor of English-language comic books in the world. Disney knows we make Femme Fatales, guys.

Look, YOU may not be interested in this property, whatever it is (and let's remember we're all just speculating now), but you have to think beyond yourself and your own wants for a minute. If we are seeing the beginning of a greater partnership with Disney, this is an INCREDIBLE get for DST, and will only grow the brand and the company. Not every single Minimate has to appeal directly to adult males that are into comics, video games, and other nerd culture staples. Minimates are a niche of a niche of a niche (collector-driven action figures/ minifigures/ Minimates), and anything that raises their profile and brings in potential new collectors should be supported. Look, I can't stand the Walking Dead; I think it's an awful, awful comic book. But I accept that it's super popular, and I'm thrilled that DST was able to lock down the license, because it grows the brand. You don't want Cinderella, or Peter Pan, or whatever else it might be? Okay, don't buy it. I assure you that the manufacturing of those figures won't effect the lines you do collect one bit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: HELLPOP GETS IT.

This exclusive assortment has not cancelled a series of Minimates you wanted. It is IN ADDITION to everything we currently make. It is NOT a long-term line we will be putting all of our manpower on. It IS outside of our normal wheelhouse. It WILL (I hope) introduce more people to Minimates.

I have a great respect for completists, but I know there are relatively few of them here. I see plenty of people who go out of their way to say they WON'T be buying a series/set/what have you. I hope all of you can restrain yourselves when you see a product you absolutely don't want on the pegs/shelf/Internets. Or wait until February, see what else is coming, and make a decision then. I doubt they'll sell out instantaneously.

Great. there will be no living with him now.:rolleyes:

Uhhh... the TRU deal has probably saved Minimates. :confused:

Saved from what? they were doing just fine without TRU and look in just the last week or two how many people have posted their frustration with the way the TRU system(doesn't)work and that they may stop trying to get them. you think that helps the line?

Five. Five people said they were stopping collecting Minimates because they couldn't get exclusives. Even though fellow board members saints kept saying "YOO-HOO, I HAVE THEM!" And just because sets of Minimates were coming out doesn't mean they were doing fine. Having mass market support is key to a low-price-point line's continued existence. (And yes, these are a low price point. Sideshow and Hot Toys don't need TRU. Minimates do, although Walmart would do in a pinch.)

Anyway as ive said a couple of times now, yes they are not for me, there are other properties that could/should get mated that wont if the line is slowly consumed by Disney, Thats what they do, buy up properties and milk them dry. i'd hate to see that happen to minimates. I mean how likely would DC/WB etc.. mates be if Disney had any "influence" in what gets mated.

Uh... we aren't selling out to Disney. I can't imagine what situation would result in which Disney (and we've been working for Disney for a few years now!) would dictate what other products we make. They may not buy them for their stores, but as long as TRU and/or comic shops want an item, that won't affect us -- and we will always sell products to the specialty market, because we're sister companies with the largest distributor of English-language comic books in the world. Disney knows we make Femme Fatales, guys.

Look, YOU may not be interested in this property, whatever it is (and let's remember we're all just speculating now), but you have to think beyond yourself and your own wants for a minute. If we are seeing the beginning of a greater partnership with Disney, this is an INCREDIBLE get for DST, and will only grow the brand and the company. Not every single Minimate has to appeal directly to adult males that are into comics, video games, and other nerd culture staples. Minimates are a niche of a niche of a niche (collector-driven action figures/ minifigures/ Minimates), and anything that raises their profile and brings in potential new collectors should be supported. Look, I can't stand the Walking Dead; I think it's an awful, awful comic book. But I accept that it's super popular, and I'm thrilled that DST was able to lock down the license, because it grows the brand. You don't want Cinderella, or Peter Pan, or whatever else it might be? Okay, don't buy it. I assure you that the manufacturing of those figures won't effect the lines you do collect one bit.

This exclusive assortment has not cancelled a series of Minimates you wanted. It is IN ADDITION to everything we currently make. It is NOT a long-term line we will be putting all of our manpower on. It IS outside of our normal wheelhouse. It WILL (I hope) introduce more people to Minimates.

I have a great respect for completists, but I know there are relatively few of them here. I see plenty of people who go out of their way to say they WON'T be buying a series/set/what have you. I hope all of you can restrain yourselves when you see a product you absolutely don't want on the pegs/shelf/Internets. Or wait until February, see what else is coming, and make a decision then. I doubt they'll sell out instantaneously.

So, you're saying.....it is Peter Pan?

reading between the very wide lines I say its femme fatale sets based on disney princess :whistling:

Ok I have made that totally up. I have no idea what it will be but if I like it and can source it I will buy it other then that I'm not going to worry about it that much, life's to short.

I am in no way a completist. I never bought any of the Battlestar Galactica or Halo figures and I avoided most of the Heroes figures (I had to load up on the Cops). I also skipped out on any Marvel Ultimate stuff, Fear Itself, and I'll be passing on any of the Marvel Now stuff as well. I said I was a little worried about these guesses before because it sounds like it might not be something that most of us here would be interested in. I'm all for it though if it is Disney related because that really would help bring some more fans into the game and help with the longevity of the figures that we do like and collect.

Edited by MisterMiracle

IF it is Disney; getting one of Disneys big properties, doing it well, and selling lots of sets for them to be happy could be a huge game changer. It has the potential to lead to so much.

Apart from the potential Disney licenses it could open up, other big companies (DC?) see how well DST handles the Disney, Marvel, WD stuff, and before you know it they are interested as well.

I cannot see a down side to this, and I can't wait to see what these new sets are going to be.

Here's to many more licenses, and another 50 (at least) Marvel waves!

"Five. Five people said they were stopping collecting Minimates because they couldn't get exclusives..."

But for those five that spoke up how many others feel the same or are on the fence, as people often like to point out this is a very small community so five is a good percentage especially when one of those five buys a LARGE amount of product.

"Uh... we aren't selling out to Disney.... "

Not yet perhaps, but Disney has a track record of Acquiring companies, they are looking to own/control all forms of media, so yeah you've been working WITH them for years soon you may be working FOR them.

"I have a great respect for completists..."

Do you?, For the record I am not a completest , I was simply stating(like many others) my personal opinion, the hope that these new sets are not Peter pan/Disney cartoon mates(which they now seem very likely to be) Im all for branching out to new lines and the hope that that broadens the interest in minimates in general even if they are not mates im interested in buying myself, but i am not so short sited to see a potential future where Disney mates DO take the place of a series of Minimates we may have wanted, because you have put all of your manpower on it. its not far fetched to think that a company that just spent 4.5 billion to buy Lucasfilm could buy up DST or more likely Diamond in a heartbeat. Uncle Walt talked of his plan to control all forms of Media years ago and they have done pretty well with that plan.

Anyway good luck with the Peter pan/Disney Mates

Over the years there have been Minimate lines that have just left me cold ...notably LOR & Street Fighter whilst Star Trek & Halo are amongst my least-loved. Like many people here I've steadfastly collected them all & the 'tell it like it is' if anybody is willing to read what I say on this open forum...I don't follow blindly . There have been times when I've felt that I was the only person (here) collecting certain lines notably the Playstation stuff which I learned to love with no preconceived ideas about the characters .....I'll be buying this new 'movie' oddity with an open-mind whatever it is.....then I'll let you know.

BTW I'm not one of the 5 about to stop collecting Minimates......I'm pretty sure of what I actually wrote.

I believe in fairies ....I've been to Brighton.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'll echo bhm a bit. I'm a completist and with only a few exceptions (mainly the Femme Fatales stuff), I'm a completist because I like all of the Minimates that have been made. Some properties I've learned to like just because Minimates are made. Whatever this property is, I'm thrilled already.

Edited by groundhog7s

Random thoughts:

- I'm not quitting collecting Minimates altogether either, just frustrated that it's so difficult to start collecting The Walking Dead line right out of the gate. <_<

- If DST was my toy company and Disney tried to buy it (instead of Hasbro, for example), I'd be flattered and shocked. :rolleyes:

- I totally believe in fairies. :P

- Happy New Year! :biggrin: