UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 14

Lobsterman

These are all great looking figures coming out . . . but i wonder if maybe we could have seen the selling power of SpiderMan & Cap used to release a more B character in two separate packs, rather then both together? SpiderMan & Puma, then Cap & Madame Hydra or some such.

Still - very very excited about more Alpha Flight & OutBack X-Men :)

TRU Wave 13 had two A-list sets (Spidey/Punisher and DD/Kingpin) and two C-list sets (Boomer/Rictor and Mirage/Magma). I think Series 14 more or less follows that same path.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are all great looking figures coming out . . . but i wonder if maybe we could have seen the selling power of SpiderMan & Cap used to release a more B character in two separate packs, rather then both together? SpiderMan & Puma, then Cap & Madame Hydra or some such.

I was wondering why we're even getting an Ultimate Cap in this wave, wasn't he just done within the past couple years? And I believe Cap has only had one costume (besides the WWII stuff). DST has been good about giving us alternate costumes or features when it comes to "necessary evil" characters like Spidey or Iron Man, is there anything that differentiates this Cap? I would have liked to have seen one of Spidey's rogues instaed.

TRU Wave 13 had two A-list sets (Spidey/Punisher and DD/Kingpin) and two C-list sets (Boomer/Rictor and Mirage/Magma). I think Series 14 more or less follows that same path.

My eye's tear up when i hear 90's Boomer & Rictor referred to as C-list. . . but in my heart - i know you're right. LOL.

And i see your point about the A's & B's (and yes, C's) being spaced out over a whole wave, rather than being organised into A&B or A&C packs. The over-all assortment is still there.

So what are the mates Rhino, Iron man....????

I have completely lost track at the moment on releases.

Rhino, Morales Spidey, Iron Man, Ultimate Cap, Havok, Storm, Chick Guardian and some random guy in armor I don't know.

My eye's tear up when i hear 90's Boomer & Rictor referred to as C-list. . . but in my heart - i know you're right. LOL.

And i see your point about the A's & B's (and yes, C's) being spaced out over a whole wave, rather than being organised into A&B or A&C packs. The over-all assortment is still there.

No, no, you're right, they're not C-list at all. Is there some kind of sub-alphabet list? The dog- bark-list? The caveman- grunt-list? The fart-list? Oh, I like that one. They're Fart-list characters.:thumbsup:

I forgot, did Zach mention that the Spidey will also have a 2nd head that is the mask? Or was that my wishful thinking? I don't like slip-on masks...

Not that I know of. Have we ever done that?

Best Of Spidey has a head block mask with an alternate Peter head block. With more alt head blocks showing up lately (Beardy Thor, Green Goblin, Sin Eater, etc) I was kind of hoping it was the start of a new trend...

Except those are all masked head blocks vs. unmasked head blocks, or multiple unmasked blocks. Not a masked head AND a masked head block.

Sorry Zach, but all I'm looking forward to in this Wave is Rhino/Iron Man

I might buy 2 or 3 packs, if I can, so I can display Iron Man in both ways, and then have 1 still mint in box

Why are you apologizing to me? I'm sorry you aren't down with the Box. Plenty of guys out there love Box. I think the set will be vindicated once people get it in hand.

I was wondering why we're even getting an Ultimate Cap in this wave, wasn't he just done within the past couple years? And I believe Cap has only had one costume (besides the WWII stuff). DST has been good about giving us alternate costumes or features when it comes to "necessary evil" characters like Spidey or Iron Man, is there anything that differentiates this Cap? I would have liked to have seen one of Spidey's rogues instaed.

2009? This one is a little more Joe Mad than Bryan Hitch, but otherwise very similar.

I forgot, did Zach mention that the Spidey will also have a 2nd head that is the mask? Or was that my wishful thinking? I don't like slip-on masks...

Not that I know of. Have we ever done that?

Best Of Spidey has a head block mask with an alternate Peter head block. With more alt head blocks showing up lately (Beardy Thor, Green Goblin, Sin Eater, etc) I was kind of hoping it was the start of a new trend...

Except those are all masked head blocks vs. unmasked head blocks, or multiple unmasked blocks. Not a masked head AND a masked head block.

Yes I know, but I thought Storm was asking if it had been changed to an alternate head block mask instead of a slip-on mask, though I guess he might have meant both. Zach, are slip-on masks cheaper to produce than a second head block, or is it a purely aesthetic choice by the designers which way to go?

Slip-on or not.....rock & a hard place IMO .

Captain Britain minimates perfectly expose the anomalies of scale when using slip on masks . Compare the Wave 31 Captain with the Excalibur version & it's like comparing Yogi to Boo Boo . Slip-on masks make a huge difference to the general aesthetic of a Minimate .....I'm not saying it always looks wrong or right but it is significant.

In my 'book' a Minimate should have a head with a painted face etc. which is the base for hair,hair/hat,hair/helmet or mask etc. .....or in the case of Battle Beasts just use a separate head-moulding altogether.

Here's a pic from the Database (thankyou Ivan) ........

post-638-0-92465300-1344847558_thumb.jpg

I think it highly unlikely that ol'pinhead Brian would ever get off the ground in boots that are wider than his teeny head ......surely a candidate for 'Why bother making this character?'..no sculpted mask,no slip-on mask & no hair.

Juggernaut from the same box-set (t I).....

post-638-0-09232600-1344848045_thumb.jpg :rolleyes:

That set sold well but it would have gone down as great .....

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, that Captain Britain mate's a weird one for sure. I think partly just because his face is drawn so small. His mask's a bit more helmet-y though, too, and with any mask that shows part of the face, like on him or Captain America, it definitely looks better with a slip-on. I think the upcoming Havok looks much improved for the same reason.

The only time I hate slip-ons is when they're used for a full-face mask that's supposed to be skin-tight fabric -- so mostly just on Spider-Man (with rare others like Flash Venom or Bleeding Edge Iron Man). Slip-ons just make Spidey's head look huge. Having said that there are exceptions to the rule, like the first Deadpool, who I think is saved from looking like a lollipop because of all the gear "widening" his body.

I'm eyeing up that Iron man and seeing the legs as custom potential (perfect for a rescue minimate), I'll prob want 2-3 of them if someone buys the set for the Rhino and doesn't need the Iron Man let me know!

Looking at the pictures I'd say that IM is the Extremis one and the one we had as packed with Titanium man is more 'modern-pre extremis' - The one that came in MvsSF is a bit of a hodgepodge IMO :)

T.

1344905997[/url]' post='241299']

I'm eyeing up that Iron man and seeing the legs as custom potential (perfect for a rescue minimate), I'll prob want 2-3 of them if someone buys the set for the Rhino and doesn't need the Iron Man let me know!

Looking at the pictures I'd say that IM is the Extremis one and the one we had as packed with Titanium man is more 'modern-pre extremis' - The one that came in MvsSF is a bit of a hodgepodge IMO :)

T.

Just to let you know ahead of time, I am buying all the Rhino's I can get my grubby little hands on, so I should have some extra Iron Men for you.thumbsup.gif

I'm so glad i held off on purchasing the original rhino mate. This bulked up-date (i am trademarking this term) is definitely at the top of my list for this wave.

The only Storm i have is from the gsxm release..so i'm looking to update that character as well.

Pretty nice designs this wave.