• Dire Wraiths
    • HAMMER Agents
    • Madrox the Multiple Man (Classic)
    • Mandroids
    • Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

as much as i want Banshee (he's my #1 out of everyone on this poll) i don't necessarily want him as the variant. not the blue/yellow costume, anyway. his green/yellow costume is the one i always wanted so that's perfect, but the only way i'd want a variant of him would be if it was AoA Banshee, or X-Factor Banshee in the way they did classic White Tiger and current White Tiger (2 different characters that are bro/sis) as the variant.

as far as Songbird goes... i remember when Thunderbolts first came out years ago. i've been reading comics since before then, and i remember it was kind of a big deal. that said, i never actually read Thunderbolts until after the most recent reboot, so i know very little about her. THAT said, i own all the Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers minimates so i did vote for her.

of all the characters, i'd probably pick Falcon to have the variant (unless by some slim chance my Banshee variants are an option) so that we can get his current look, and his classic. granted, i'd only get the modern Falcon, but i know a lot of people either want both, or really want classic.

I'd just like to throw in that I'd totally take Siryn Banshee as a variant for Banshee Banshee, and think it's a great idea.

Gets one more, slightly more obscure X-Mutant out there, and makes a certain degree of sense. And yes, other characters have been done as variants: White Tiger/White Tiger, Spider-Woman/Spider-Woman, J. Jonah/Aunt May, Gwen Stacy/Mary Jane, Betty/General Ross, Black Queen Jean/Black Queen Selene the list goes on and on... as far as I'm concerned, if they shared a code-name, that's good enough. Plus if Madrox ends up being the Army Builder, that two-pack just downright makes sense. I mean he and Siryn had a baby together. :P

I'd like a Blue & Yellow Banshee, but I'd like to get Siryn 10 times more. Best idea for a variant on one of these figs I've heard so far.

Edited by Gillbob316

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at our voting pattern I would be happy to get 99% of these choices I just think our choices are going to be completely different then the final result as there is the random factor of the casual web surfer who will just vote on what they want randomly. Click, click, click.

I'm surprised how many people are asking for a separate character to be the variant. I thought everybody hated it when DST made the variant a unique character, rather then just a costume variation.

I love it when it's another character personally, because it gets one more character OUT there... instead of a potentially lame and useless costume variant (they're not all lame and useless, but some are). As much as I want Banshee to round out my X-Men, getting Banshee AND Siryn, would be 10x more awesome...

That said, I'm a person who ALWAYS buys ALL the variants. So I have no trouble getting them, since I always buy the whole wave. I think what makes people complain about characters being variants is when it's a character they want... but they find themselves unable to acquire one due to shortpacking (or at least having to pay more to acquire one).

HOWEVER... I don't think this phenomenon is exclusive to different characters. I mean yeah people complained about Spider-Woman/Spider-Woman. But they also complained about Black Spider-Man and 1st Appearance Angel being shortpacked, for instance, and those WERE costume variants... so people who had trouble getting them still complained up a storm.

I don't think it's so much about whether it's the same character or not, I think it's just relative to the demand the variant generates. What one wants vs. what one is able to get. Not so much "is this character unique or not"

I don't remember anyone complaining about White Tiger. Frankly. Because he's not as in-demand as Spider-Woman or Black Suit Spidey.

If it's a variant someone wants, but can't get, they'll always complain. New character or no. So I don't see why it should be a determining factor one way or the other.

All that said, I don't think any of the variants in this line are very hard to get, at least not upon their initial release. Maybe over time, but when a new wave hits you can always find a place to order the variant online (usually Luke), and I quite often find the variant in stock in comic book stores shortly after release. Granted, sometimes it costs more, but that's often to be expected with short packs. Kinda just one of those necessary evils of collecting. And if you want to pay less for it, that's your incentive for buying the whole wave as a set.

But anyway, YEAH... all that said, I'd still love to get Siryn as a variant for Banshee. That would be awesome.

While I wouldn't mind Black Tom either, I'd still prefer Siryn. And I think she makes more sense since she's used the Code-Name Banshee, has worn the same costume, and has ties to Madrox (should he end up being the army builder, which I think is very possible).

Since the variant isn't set in stone yet... I really wonder how much influence we have or don't have over Zach in this discussion. lol... We really need to start a variant poll as soon as we know the final line up results. To exert our evil influence.

But even a low-tier Marvel title gets what, 20,000 readers give or take?

Specifically 18,792 last month. Thunderbolts #174 came in at 131 on the sales chart. No idea how sales are elsewhere including digital sales but I'd have to say their Q-score is pretty low compared to others. Have they gotten any love in cartoon form yet?

Right, that was kind of my point though -- that it's low for a Marvel comic, but 19,000 people is still a lot when you think about it in the context of this poll, and who's likely to be browsing Marvel's website. And looking it up on that link, the Ellis run from a few years back peaked at over 66,000, with the trade just squeaking into the Top 20 graphic novels.

No idea about cartoons, Songbird's wiki says she appeared on Super Hero Squad. Oh and The Vox mentioned she's a playable in that video game.

I probably nerded out on this too much in my posts yesterday, my only real problem is the notion that we can have any idea which characters those 10,000 poll voters consider more or less obscure. Once you get down past the big guns like Spidey and Cap it's such a subjective thing.

Because of this poll I learned who Songbird is, or at least was reminded who she is. But you know what? I've already forgotten. ...so she's like a bird?

Yea, minor character, not really important. Hard light wings, bird motif. People seem to be torn on the costume too, between classic and modern. IF i had to have it, i'd go modern because it's what i'm used to. But, really, it's still a black guy in a white and red body suit who flies. Not too big a difference...

Oh wait, that's Falcon. :whistling:

NOTE: Songbird before Falcon, personal preference.

I probably nerded out on this too much in my posts yesterday, my only real problem is the notion that we can have any idea which characters those 10,000 poll voters consider more or less obscure. Once you get down past the big guns like Spidey and Cap it's such a subjective thing.

Yes and no. I think the general public is probably more predictable than some are imagining, frankly.

Poll A - I don't know why so many people think Cap-Wolf will be a winner. Frankly I think him and Thing are the bottom two in the general public's eyes. I'd never even heard of Cap-Wolf before this poll, and he was one of the ones I had zero interest in even considering. I like Ghost Rider and Hulks chances. I think what Ghost Rider and Hulk have going for them is they're very prominent and iconic variant looks, which have had time in the spotlight, for those characters. Wheras the rest are all just weird and seldom-seen looks on otherwise big characters. I think Iron Man's big name notoriety might help him get some votes, though he splits his own vote, which may hurt him. Wolverine is kind-of a crapshoot, I see him landing somewhere in the middle ground. People remember that look from the toybiz line, but nobody really considers it his best. Spidey is Spidey, so he might get votes... but it's kind-of a weird ass look for him, so I'm really not sure on that one.

Poll B - I don't think Gladiator or Songbird have a prayer in the general public. I don't want to debate to death how big the characters are or aren't, but they're definitely the two low men on that totem poll, in my eyes. After that it gets hazy. Falcon, Winter Soldier and Cpt. Steve all have good odds, but then they all play to kind-of the same crowd... so while I think they all have a shot, they could steal votes from one another and hurt themselves. I think Banshee has a huge chance, since he's basically a lightning rod absorbing the vote of every X-Men fan without much competition, save a little from Gladiator, but I don't think much. Black Knight and Luke, like Wolverine, are kind-of a crapshoot I see in the middle. They're definitely big enough to draw votes of Avengers fans... but there's alot of Avengers competition in this poll... and I don't see them beating out Falcon, Bucky or Steve. Then again Luke has kind-of a cult thing, so maybe. However, as said, I think Banshee will be one of two, for no other reason than an unsplit X-Fan vote.

Poll C - Here the X-Fan vote gets split, lol. And hard. I honestly think Apocalypse and Abomination may take this one... much to the disappointment of everyone here. I don't WANT them to. I voted for neither of them. I wouldn't mind them, but I'd prefer new guys. But they're just a higher tier of villain than the rest of these guys. They're a couple of the X-Men and Hulk's top rivals, whereas all these other villains are more second string. These two are the type of villains that are usually released in the first waves of X-Men or Hulk toys (which is why they're both re-releases to this line, and none of the other choices are) I think Casual voters will put them on top. Zemo could arguably give them a run for their money... the rest of the choices I don't see beating them. Mojo and Onslaught will lose votes to Apocalypse, the other guys will lose votes to Abom or Zemo. In short: There's a REASON these two have been made already and the rest haven't. Hell they both have 2 mates already. Three in Abom's case if you count Blonsky (which I do). I believe Zach already offhandedly mentioned earlier he probably should have left them off the poll in favor of two more obscure choices, but what's done is done.

Poll D - I feel like Madrox will take this one. People like to vote for real characters over nameless faceless ones. One could make that argument for a couple of these other ones, like the Cuckoos, but I think Madrox is the biggest name in the bunch.

My final guesses for the wave... all that said...

Hulk

Ghost Rider

Banshee

Falcon (Or Bucky... or Steve... or Luke... lol)

Abomination (Or Zemo... lol)

Apocalypse

Madrox

And hopefully Siryn as the variant, lol...

All and all not my 100% ideal wave, but one that I'm happy with.

One of those names will obviously need to be cut, but I'm not sure who. It will probably come down to sheer total vote numbers, whichever villain or secondary hero gets the least total votes.

I really wish an A-Lister could be cut, since those are frankly the figures I have the least use for as a collector, but we all know that's unlikely to happen.

BUT! Again this all just speculation on my part, and should be taken as such. I don't know everything, and could very well be wrong. :P

Edited by Gillbob316

But even a low-tier Marvel title gets what, 20,000 readers give or take?

Specifically 18,792 last month. Thunderbolts #174 came in at 131 on the sales chart. No idea how sales are elsewhere including digital sales but I'd have to say their Q-score is pretty low compared to others. Have they gotten any love in cartoon form yet?

Right, that was kind of my point though -- that it's low for a Marvel comic, but 19,000 people is still a lot when you think about it in the context of this poll, and who's likely to be browsing Marvel's website. And looking it up on that link, the Ellis run from a few years back peaked at over 66,000, with the trade just squeaking into the Top 20 graphic novels.

No idea about cartoons, Songbird's wiki says she appeared on Super Hero Squad. Oh and The Vox mentioned she's a playable in that video game.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was a pretty successful (and recent) video game and Songbird was a playable character. You can google-image Songbird Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 if you want to see some of her costume variation. I know I do not represent the "average" comic fan.. but I tend to enjoy the Video Games, Movies and Animated stuff as much (if not more) than the actual comics they are based on. I may not represent a ton of Marvel fans.. but I know there are others like me that frequent the marvel.com website. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Not only was Songbird in the Super Hero Squad show in season two, but Screaming Mimi was in season one. I don't remember but I am not sure they even ever mentioned they're the same person. And she was in Ultimate Alliance 2 and an actual decent character to use. I didn't use her all time time, but I tried everybody out and I could see the appeal of using her. She's fun times. Plus I like her.

Other note, I have a friend, he doesn't collect minimates (he just picks them up for me) but he came across the poll and has been voting and in poll #4 he told me he voted for Maddrox, not because he liked the character or would buy any, but because the picture they used was drawn by Skottie Young, and he's a big fan of his. My point? Who the hell knows what the casual non-Minimate collecting populace is gonna vote for or why. Some people just do what they're going to do.

as much as i want Banshee (he's my #1 out of everyone on this poll) i don't necessarily want him as the variant. not the blue/yellow costume, anyway. his green/yellow costume is the one i always wanted so that's perfect, but the only way i'd want a variant of him would be if it was AoA Banshee, or X-Factor Banshee in the way they did classic White Tiger and current White Tiger (2 different characters that are bro/sis) as the variant.

I hadn't even considered this possibility! Not only would it be great, the Terry head and hair could be reused for a Siryn/Warpath twopack down the line, and leaves blue and yellow Banshee for a two-pack with Forge. GENIUS!

Screaming Mimi being Songbird was a plot point in the Super Hero Squad show. She started out as Mimi, playing the generic thug in a few episodes, not doing much. Then in the episode that featured Mystique as the "guest" villain, afterit was revealed that Mystique had infiltrated the Super Hero Squad and made all kinds of covert chaos, it was revealed that Iron Man also had an agent infiltrating Doom's camp on the Squad's behalf, and at that point Mimi revealed herself to be Songbird, they all beat up Doom and his goons. Hip Hip Hooray. And I think that was the first and last time we ever saw Songbird. Honestly she had more screen time as Mimi in that show.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure all of that was in Season 1, and didn't have anything to do with Season 2. Season 2 was pretty much all cosmic/alternate reality stories for the most part. First they were chasing Thanos and the infinity gems, then when they had finally all been collected, Surfer got his hands on the Infinity Gauntlet & Infinity Sword and became the corrupted Dark Surfer, he sent each member of the squad on various tours of different sub-dimensions of the Marvel Universe as a way of getting rid of them, that was like 10 episodes as all the various heroes recollected themselves back to the main dimension, then they all came back to defeat Dark Surfer. All the stuff with Doom and various smaller guest characters like Mystique/Songbird was Season 1.

I just watched the whole series on The Hub over the last couple months. :P

Edited by Gillbob316

God I need to rewatch that show. The only real thing I remember, aside from overall enjoying the show, was the time in season one where they were fighting Dormammu and Cap was falling and when Thor caught him, he quoted equal rights for women and called him a USO Girl. And then I laughed for about five minutes.

Edited by The Geohound

I'm surprised how many people are asking for a separate character to be the variant. I thought everybody hated it when DST made the variant a unique character, rather then just a costume variation.

Nope. I love it. I know a lot of others don't, but for lower tier characters i think it makes a lot of sense. Why waste a high production spot on some obscure character like classic white tiger when they can be made available as variant?

In the case of Banshee, i'd love to see a 90's Syrin variant and save the Blue & Yellow version of him for the inevitable Gen X box set :P

I guess in general I've been more excited lately about getting new characters like comic Aunt May, Lang Ant-Man or Maria Hill than Masterson Thor or AoA Sinister. But, looking back a bit, hound Rachel Grey, WWII Wolvie, trenchcoat Thing and the various Angels and Archangels were pretty great. And going way back, old school variants like frosted Iceman, crystal Emma, Invisible Woman, Stealth Iron Man, Black Spidey... those were some of my favorite mates for a long time. So I don't know, I like both.

Going back to the numbers on T-Bolts, something that has to be considered:

MANY Marvel books ship twice monthly. When they give you the totals for a month, they are telling you how much money that title made in the month. If it shipped twice, that means it really has half that readership.