• Mindless Ones
    • Nova Corps Centurions
    • Stepford Cuckoos
    • Warwolves

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe we're even arguing this.

Monkeycrumb, let me put it this way: WINTER SOLIDER is NOT a lock. Chuck said previously that Bucky had died and had little chance of making the cut. The vote means he WAS NOT PLANNED. Like so many other characters.

NOTHING is a lock, ever. To vote because someone else has a less likely chance is ridiculous.

The vote means he WAS NOT PLANNED. Like so many other characters.

Not planned yet. I feel like we're treating this as a zero-sum game, where, because a character is in this poll, it means he or she was on some kind of "do not ever make, ever" list, and DST is magnanimously granting two lucky contestants clemency.

There's always some probability a character will get made, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, and I personally think we can make educated guesses on that probability. The fact that these characters are in this poll means they're on the radar in some respect, and Zach has implied they want to try to get to more than the ones that win. They have to make future line plans from something, and the poll as a gauge of interest is as good a method as any.

Man, this poll is causing a lot of division. But listen -- yes, we have no plans (at the moment) for any of these guys. Yes, we are going to look at how the other characters do as a mark of how soon they should get made down the road. If you think someone is going to do just fine with other voters, then that's your call not to vote for him. But if you want him to get made... you should vote for him. In a perfect world, the third-place winner will get made before eighth place. Just my two cents.

Just a little clarification regarding Toy Biz, Marvel, and Hasbro.

Marvel owned Toy Biz. When the toy market got too volatile, they decided to shutter that division and get out of the business. It was less risky to simply license their properties to another manufacturer. Hasbro made a proposal for the master toy license and won the rights.

That's it in a nutshell.

I have no idea when DST's contract is up for renewal but it's not unheard of for a licensor to decide to change things up on a whim, especially when there's new blood in the executive order. It's entirely possible for Disney to step in thinking that Minimates have run their course and the next thing you know you're looking at Marvel Mez-Itz.

Bottom line: Don't take anything for granted, even figures that have already been solicited.

never EVER ASSUME someone will get made eventually.

we are approaching 10 years. 50 waves. for all we know this line is circling the bowl. if you want someone the fucking vote for them. never assume. -Falcon.

What evidence is there that this line might be "circling the bowl"?? NONE! This line is going STRONG! We will continue to get mates for AT LEAST the next 2 years! Supporting characters have a better than average chance of being made when the main characters movie is being released. The next 2 years will bring us a Thor and Captain America sequel. I'm confident we'll see more of their supporting cast, along with more X-Men, Spiderman and Avengers cast in the meantime.

Voting for Winter Soldier, Wrecker, etc is like voting for KANG: DST KNOWS we want them, it WILL happen eventually!

No. You weren't here in 2006, Monkey Crumb. You didn't live through the dark times like some of us did. I will never assume Minimates are doing so good that they "Can't die." I've watched beloved toy lines be canceled, I've seen my all time favorite shows cut down in their prime. And I've watched my #1 collection be pushed right to the brink, and somehow, perhaps only by divine grace, come back to be what it is today. Marvel could literally pull the plug at any moment and that would be the end. Remember how ToyBiz lost their rights to Hasbro? And no one saw it coming?

You assume whatever you want. But for me, Minimates is always 1 wave away from being finished forever.

Yes, I WAS here during 2006. I was just a lurker. I've been collecting since wave 1. I was there for the "dark times". This AINT IT. But then, you're the expert on everything including me, aren't you? You're such a genius that you pull the words "cant die" from the statement I made that minimates will be around for at least the next 2 years. I never said they "can't die". You can assume whatever you want, but don't attribute quotes to me that I never said. Try comprehending what you read before you post next time. Oh, and Marvel can't just "literally pull the plug at any moment", that's not how contracts work. Toy biz was *bought out* by Hasbro, they didn't lose anything to them. Your post is so full of inaccuracies it boggles the mind! Thank you for demonstrating so clearly that you have no idea what you are talking about!

Actually the sequence is this: Toy Biz had the Marvel License. Then Marvel bought Toy Biz, and rebranded it Marvel Toys. Marvel then licensed out their property to Hasbro, while using Marvel Toys to produce the Legendary Comic Heroes (and I believe some wrestiing line using some of the same Marvel molds). The Legendary Comic Heroes line didn't do very well at retail due to obscure characters and stopped at wave 2, despite some awesome toys(Monkeyman & Obrien), with wave 3 only being shown partially at Toy Fair. It was very convoluted and whatever Marvel's original strategy was, it seemed very backwards at the time to me.

I'm not sure this is a zero-sum game, but I do feel like this was a "Well, just throw together some characters we have no intention of making in the foreseeable future and see which one wins." That's not to say they'll never get made, but I do think (and notice how I phrased this as a personal opinion speaking of myself) it'll be a looooooong time before we see some of the "locks" on this poll that don't win. As in, the 20's anniversary, 100th wave fan's choice poll long time. Yeah, I think they'd put off Falcon and Winter Soldier that far.

If Hydro Iron Man wins, I'd really like him to be based on the IM2 toy. I love that guy. He is such a cool design and so fiddly.

4540632312_4227daf759.jpg

never EVER ASSUME someone will get made eventually.

we are approaching 10 years. 50 waves. for all we know this line is circling the bowl. if you want someone the fucking vote for them. never assume. -Falcon.

What evidence is there that this line might be "circling the bowl"?? NONE! This line is going STRONG! We will continue to get mates for AT LEAST the next 2 years! Supporting characters have a better than average chance of being made when the main characters movie is being released. The next 2 years will bring us a Thor and Captain America sequel. I'm confident we'll see more of their supporting cast, along with more X-Men, Spiderman and Avengers cast in the meantime.

Voting for Winter Soldier, Wrecker, etc is like voting for KANG: DST KNOWS we want them, it WILL happen eventually!

No. You weren't here in 2006, Monkey Crumb. You didn't live through the dark times like some of us did. I will never assume Minimates are doing so good that they "Can't die." I've watched beloved toy lines be canceled, I've seen my all time favorite shows cut down in their prime. And I've watched my #1 collection be pushed right to the brink, and somehow, perhaps only by divine grace, come back to be what it is today. Marvel could literally pull the plug at any moment and that would be the end. Remember how ToyBiz lost their rights to Hasbro? And no one saw it coming?

You assume whatever you want. But for me, Minimates is always 1 wave away from being finished forever.

Yes, I WAS here during 2006. I was just a lurker. I've been collecting since wave 1. I was there for the "dark times". This AINT IT. But then, you're the expert on everything including me, aren't you? You're such a genius that you pull the words "cant die" from the statement I made that minimates will be around for at least the next 2 years. I never said they "can't die". You can assume whatever you want, but don't attribute quotes to me that I never said. Try comprehending what you read before you post next time. Oh, and Marvel can't just "literally pull the plug at any moment", that's not how contracts work. Toy biz was *bought out* by Hasbro, they didn't lose anything to them. Your post is so full of inaccuracies it boggles the mind! Thank you for demonstrating so clearly that you have no idea what you are talking about!

Actually the sequence is this: Toy Biz had the Marvel License. Then Marvel bought Toy Biz, and rebranded it Marvel Toys. Marvel then licensed out their property to Hasbro, while using Marvel Toys to produce the Legendary Comic Heroes (and I believe some wrestiing line using some of the same Marvel molds). The Legendary Comic Heroes line didn't do very well at retail due to obscure characters and stopped at wave 2, despite some awesome toys(Monkeyman & Obrien), with wave 3 only being shown partially at Toy Fair. It was very convoluted and whatever Marvel's original strategy was, it seemed very backwards at the time to me.

No, PL had it right, Toy Biz and Marvel were one; TB actually bought Marvel back when Ron Perelman drove them into bankruptcy, despite Marvel being much bigger then TB at the time. There's a book that covers all this, though the name escapes me. Just like PL said, Marvel decided it made more sense to sell the license to Hasbro then keep producing the toys, basically, in-house.

Zach also said he built the poll taking our internal "top wanted" poll into account.

I think Zach is actually a major variable in all of this. I think Chuck (who, if I understand correctly, is the primary line planner) seems to have a fairly limited interest in the apocrypha of the Marvel universe. W've probably long since covered and covered again the characters he has any casual knowledge of or interest in. I would guess it's mainly market trends, specific editorial requests from Marvel, and, to a much more limited degree, the opinions of the rest of the DST team that influence him on who goes in a wave. Zach has appeared to be much more involved in the churn of character interest on this board than any other DST employee, including Matt. Also, I would guess Zach is more cagey about selling those preferences to Chuck. Zach knowing who we, the hard core fans are interested in seeing, even outside the context of this poll, may be a little, teensy, tinsey, but not entirely irrelevant thumb on the scale.

Man, this poll is causing a lot of division. But listen -- yes, we have no plans (at the moment) for any of these guys. Yes, we are going to look at how the other characters do as a mark of how soon they should get made down the road. If you think someone is going to do just fine with other voters, then that's your call not to vote for him. But if you want him to get made... you should vote for him. In a perfect world, the third-place winner will get made before eighth place. Just my two cents.

It's official ............... beer & lager :whistling:

-badanalogysmate

Marvel owned Toy Biz. When the toy market got too volatile, they decided to shutter that division and get out of the business. It was less risky to simply license their properties to another manufacturer. Hasbro made a proposal for the master toy license and won the rights.

That's it in a nutshell.

That's what I thought, but didn't have the specifics to back it up. Thanks for stepping in. :thumbsup:

Don't take anything for granted, even figures that have already been solicited.

THIS. A HUNDRED, MILLION, BILLION, THOUSAND, TRILLION TIMES, THIS. It's not guaranteed until it's in your hands. :unsure:

That's it in a nutshell.

That's what I thought, but didn't have the specifics to back it up. Thanks for stepping in. :thumbsup:

This is the book I mentioned earlier, if you wanna know more:

Comic Wars: How Two Tycoons Battled Over the Marvel Comics Empire-- and Both Lost

It was brought to my attention the women of the marvel universe got very lil love on this poll.

Yeah! Only one woman represented... Maybe there'll be a female army builder to vote on? I'd be pretty happy to see Female SHIELD agents or Skrulls. . . or even Stepford Cuckoos.

I'm getting a similar feeling as Dinobot, but I think the price we'll pay for getting these characters is a Maximum Clonage set (Spidey, Spidey with web pits variant packed with Spidey army builder, Gwen Stacey, MJ, Ben Reilly, and mystery villian we all hope will be Jackel but ends up being Green Goblin.) I love the little guys as my son calls them, but there seems to be an unhealthy fixation on certain characters while others get passed over time and again. The love Spider-man and Wolverine get seems a little excessive, and the big three Avengers are right behind. I have only been at this for a year and am strangely fascinated by the minimates. I think they're great, but I get frustrated when I look at this poll and see all these minimates I would love to have and know it's not likely more than a third will be made while we get yet another variant of a character I already have. I mean really, over twenty Captain Americas, thirty plus Spideys and Iron Men? These are the names that sell, I get that but "Spider sense Spidey" is the last straw. I picked him up yesterday because I didn't have a Punisher yet, but that's it, no more Spider-man minimates will be bought by me until I see more new characters. Sorry for the vent, but Marvel has such too rich a character history to have it's representation dominated by five or six characters. I love the little guys, and Zach you do a great job. The poll is great but too much like Sophies Choice.

Evidently Marvel recropped the image later in the day to reveal a Mojo with whom I'm more familiar. He'll be getting one of my votes. That's a 'mate I'd like to see DST tackle.
Ugh, that crop is even worse. It looks like Mojo is getting set to give Longshot the prostate exam of his life.

They really should have gone with the full body pic:

6537%20-%20Marvel%20Mojo%20X-Men.JPG