UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

Think about the kinds of people who might buy BSG Minimates, and the kinds of people who might buy BTTF and DSS Minimates. For the latter, there is a huge cross-section of lovers of 80s movies/music/culture that might run across these at the local comic shop and scoop them up on an impulse buy. They evoke nostalgia, they are fun, etc. For the BSG Minimates, if you aren't a fan of the show, then you aren't going to buy them (because they aren't very visually exciting, frankly), and the show is popular enough to be a hit on the SciFi Channel, but it just isn't nearly as popular or well known as Back to the Future or Madonna, particularly to more casual "pop culture collectable" fans.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly how many toy lines do finish off completely and give you every character? I can answer it for you... they don't, they stop when the demand is no longer there. LotR was the perfect example, I would have loved to have seen the 3rd wave especially as it had some great characters BUT it was no longer selling.

Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Toy Biz LotR...

No Anders? so you dont want all the cylons? :)

I can make an Anders with one of the twelve flightsuited characters we already have...

How about a box set containing nothing but a bunch of tissues (special BSG ones with the corners cut off) so all those too stubborn to admit it's dead have someting usefull when they come back to reality ;)

Brutal, man. Brutal... Maybe some pink hair ribbons with the corners cut off since we're crying like little girls... :tongue:

Who's crying?!? I've just got some dust in my eye, that's all!

Wow... I was really hoping for these last few sets. I'm convinced that the final Cylon is among them (I think I know who but I wont say). I am happy with what we did get but its a sad day in Minimate collecting indeed.

*Spoiler Alert*

Sigh... I was right. Now this really is a crying shame.

These aren't for "casual-buyers", they're for fans.).

There in, I think, lies the problem. Any line that fails to attract casual-buyers most likely isn't going to last too long.

Around series 3 BSG mates started to look a lot like the Ghost Rider or 24 Minimates, in other words just regular folks in regular clothes. That's not to say that these lines were bad, but they were just kind of unexciting to someone looking for a cool toy.

Edited by hypno

Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Toy Biz LotR...

So none of those licenses have ever had a toy line cancelled?

T.

p.s. please read the Guidelines about sig images!

Power Rangers for sure hasn't. That thing has been going forever. Legos are still around.

LINCOLN LOGS!!! :P

Okay, while I'm bummed about BSG 'mates being cancelled (especially after last night's revelation), if the license isn't performing, maybe it'll allow DST to afford licenses that are better bets.

Like DC Minimates.

Funny you should mention this...I was reading through the posts and seeing people go from denial, to anger, to bargaining, to final acceptance.

It reminded me of the DC mates....of which I was a part of the greiving process

I think the main difference between this and DC you guys have to see the last waves of what will never be....while DC we had no idea what was supposed to be next and a final wave, that was only ok. So for us it was hard but not as hard for you die hards.

you have my sympathies....

hail kang

moc847

DC Minimates will live again. One way or another ...

oh don't get those rumors started.... :rolleyes:

Considering that there are some of the revelations that came out of the first episode of the new season, maybe DST has been holding their breathe on re-packaging the assortment (and couldn't reveal the new packages without giving away some of the spoilers.)

OK Cap is still bargaining

Considering that there are some of the revelations that came out of the first episode of the new season, maybe DST has been holding their breathe on re-packaging the assortment (and couldn't reveal the new packages without giving away some of the spoilers.)

The same thought crossed my mind....

The same thought crossed my mind....

Yup. I'm hoping for that. I just have a really hard time imagining that DST had such an incredibly poor handle on the situation that they teased us with and announced two waves and a boxset when there was no retail support. That would be a big misjudgment, the kind that would make me think very little of DST's ability to analyze a marketplace in a meaningful way. I much prefer to think that DST got word about where the series was headed and slightly misjudged market interest and so decided to reformat these last waves. But I think I'm somewhere between denial and bargaining with a twinge of guilt, so...

Remember people that my whole collection of mates is BSG (minus Speed Racer, Bad Apple and Galactus) so I want these as much if not more than the rest of you, but I am with you on this one MOC. Time to let it go, if they release them, great. If not, no big deal. There are other lines of BSG toys (action figures, Ship Statues, QMX merch, building blocks :P ,etc) to keep our collections filled and wallets empty.

I for one have moved on. I still have a show to watch and comics to read, so I am happy. (Also, some prop ebay auctions to win)

.....as will BSG Minimates.

I am now totally convinced that there is something major brewing in the DST/AA Halls of Power which may not give us what we were hoping for regards BSG 5 & 6 /Caprica but I almost guarantee some token conclusion set/wave .It is still inconceivable to me that this line is commercially dead.

By 'something major' I mean for Minimates in general .

Edited by buttheadsmate

.....as will BSG Minimates.

I am now totally convinced that there is something major brewing in the DST/AA Halls of Power which may not give us what we were hoping for regards BSG 5 & 6 /Caprica but I almost guarantee some token conclusion set/wave .It is still inconceivable to me that this line is commercially dead.

By 'something major' I mean for Minimates in general .

Isn't the proof the fact that these were solicited, pre orders began, and then cancelled?

All items were pulled from the DST website...

how can that not be a clear indication?

There are only 9 episodies left...nothing after that.

guys they just didn't sell up to expectations....come on seriously.

no to rub dirt in anyones eyes , but with the economy right now, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw ALOT of scaling back this year.

BSG Dead

Terminator I would imagine it is dead too

I also doubt we will see much new in the ways of mates this year.

While it sucks for the fans...just make sure marvel waves 25 and 26 come out and my world will not end

My post clearly states that I know BSG 5/6 & Caprica will not happen because I know that they have been solicited & pre-orders are cancelled. Now that has been done it may very well clear the way for (as I said in my post) "a token conclusion set/wave". We'll see what happens !

I have included your post with your thoughts from a couple of weeks ago. I do so, not to be a clever-ass but, merely to illustrate how things can pan-out . You may well be right about BSG but personally "I'll wait 'til that fat girl sings at AA".

no to rub dirt in anyones eyes , but with the economy right now, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw ALOT of scaling back this year.

BSG Dead

Terminator I would imagine it is dead too

I also doubt we will see much new in the ways of mates this year.

While it sucks for the fans...just make sure marvel waves 25 and 26 come out and my world will not end

My post clearly states that I know BSG 5/6 & Caprica will not happen because I know that they have been solicited & pre-orders are cancelled. Now that has been done it may very well clear the way for (as I said in my post) "a token conclusion set/wave". We'll see what happens !

I have included your post with your thoughts from a couple of weeks ago. I do so, not to be a clever-ass but, merely to illustrate how things can pan-out . You may well be right about BSG but personally "I'll wait 'til that fat girl sings at AA".

Yep I was wrong about the T2 mates....looks like they are coming out. which is great they look good.

Having said that, I can not imagine we will see more than the 1 wave and singles. For the BSG rule... after you get one set, all the characters look the same...sarah in battle gear, sarah in hospital pj's etc.

Granted I dont watch BSG (tried and honestly, didn't like it) but the last 3 sets are just people boring, i can see why they didnt sell. I mean the figures they are making arent they figures of mates that have already been released? (asking because i dont keep up with them)

HK

Yep I was wrong about the T2 mates....looks like they are coming out. which is great they look good.

Having said that, I can not imagine we will see more than the 1 wave and singles. For the BSG rule... after you get one set, all the characters look the same...sarah in battle gear, sarah in hospital pj's etc.

Granted I dont watch BSG (tried and honestly, didn't like it) but the last 3 sets are just people boring, i can see why they didnt sell. I mean the figures they are making arent they figures of mates that have already been released? (asking because i dont keep up with them)

HK

The total figures that would help to 'finish' the line properly & be commercially successful would be six. You are absolutely correct in saying that the latterly-prospective 'variants' of issued figures could & should be dropped .

HK

The total figures that would help to 'finish' the line properly & be commercially successful would be six. You are absolutely correct in saying that the latterly-prospective 'variants' of issued figures could & should be dropped .

seriously 3 packs (from a box set and 2 waves) are all you need to finish the line? wow I can definitely see why they cancelled them. I can definitely see your point about changing gears and making a boxset only.

However, knowing in 9 weeks the series is gone, do you think they could mock up new packaging specs, release production, and get orders solicited....before this program is not economically viable.

I would imagine DST , saw the lack of pre orders, and said ok interest is gone. If someone said...but they only need six to round out the series...wouldn't DST say "thats nice, but we are in this to make a profit, now what new marvel movie is coming out?"