UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

So, would it help for everyone to go pre-order this line before the announcement becomes official? I mean we've got what? CSC canceling and AFX dropping the listing? Dump pre0orders into BBTS and Stuckakid and see what happens. Or is that just wasted effort? My gut says DST always loves high pre-order numbers, but I don't know in this case.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post this as a light-hearted link to lift our hearts & make out that I'm not bothered . I'll still offer the link but having watched it for the umpteenth time it's just sad & perhaps there will be no Resurrection....... :(

Maybe the 'mates "didn't deserve to survive"* either?

*Boomer

So, would it help for everyone to go pre-order this line before the announcement becomes official? I mean we've got what? CSC canceling and AFX dropping the listing? Dump pre0orders into BBTS and Stuckakid and see what happens. Or is that just wasted effort? My gut says DST always loves high pre-order numbers, but I don't know in this case.

I think it's a matter of Pre-orders, re-orders and moving old stock. If the old stuff ain't moving, you won't get anything new. To me, and I'm not a BSG fan eventhough I've bought a few, the two new waves look no more exciting then the old Ghost Rider wave. Nice for customs, but nothing to get all worked up over unless you're a big fan of the show or a Minimate completist. Plus doesn't the show take a lot of time off? That can't help a toy line that's not everyone's cup of tea to begin with.

I hope you guys that are die-hard BSG Minimate collectors do better with AA/DST then the DC people did with DC Direct.

Edited by Big Ape

As for those waiting for official word from DST go post in the Q&A at AA because they wont say anything unless prompted, even then I will paraphrase what I expect Chuck will say "BSG has been put on hold due to a lack of interest from retailers, the line isn't cancelled, never say never but it's happening right now."

T.

I want to argue with you dammit but I know your right... about most of it. Answer me this though please..... doesn't somebody at DST/AA think about all these things before they plough on? I almost predict your answer however!

I e-mailed when they disappeared off the ship list and submitted to the Q & A when they disappeared off of the DST website... no reply on either

Unless Toyfair brings good things, DST hasn't thrown anything out for ST and with BSG dead (or dying), there are no other properties that have been announced, other than T2 and the Marvel stuff. None of which is particularly fascinating.

To you...

I was indeed speaking from my perspective, and continuing the general conversation that several of us are losing interest in 'mates (myself included) with the diminishing selection of licenses...

The popularity of Marvel is a symptom of DST's challenges - they only really have comic book stores as a distribution channel - many of which have no interest in other licenses... at least 3 or 4 places that I have shopped will only deal with the comic book mates - no ST, BSG or any of the others. Regrettably, none of the non-comic licenses will do well so long as the distribution network is favore comic book/superhero characters

I was indeed speaking from my perspective, and continuing the general conversation that several of us are losing interest in 'mates (myself included) with the diminishing selection of licenses...

The popularity of Marvel is a symptom of DST's challenges - they only really have comic book stores as a distribution channel - many of which have no interest in other licenses... at least 3 or 4 places that I have shopped will only deal with the comic book mates - no ST, BSG or any of the others. Regrettably, none of the non-comic licenses will do well so long as the distribution network is favore comic book/superhero characters

Did you ask those stores if they would order minimates for you? almost every comic store will place an order if you ask for something.

A simple fact... all toy lines die eventually... I think DST as much as anyone are surprised that marvel minimates are 24 waves in and still going strong. The simple line Chuck repeats endlessly is " If you keep buying them then we will keep making them". DC Minimates (According to DCD) were not popular enough to support a line and those were sold in comic stores so the distribution channels are not the only issue here.

Despite our small community Minimates are not always loved by mainstream tastes and like almost all collectables that go into mainstream stores like FYE, Sam Goody, Target or Hot Topic etc they usually end up on sale or clearance... In those enviroments people don't buy them except for the odd impulse purchase... they go to those stores for DVD's and CD's not toys. Impulse purchases will not be enough to support a line.

Where would you sell them? Where do BSG fans go to buy toys? ( Other than the multitude of online stores which you seem to be ignoring that carry every line of minimates equally) Do BSG fans buy collectables in enough numbers to support them or any toyline?

T.

I understand the frustration for the die hard fans, there is nothing worse than investing time and money in a line and seeing it end. It flat out sucks...and it swallows because they showed images of "what could have been". Something for the hard core fans to lament over.

I have always been a comic book mate collector. When I decided I was going to be a completist. I added all mates to my collection. and I will be honest I got alot of mates I held no real value in except for they were mates (BSG, Star Trek) When I decided to thin out my collection, I had no issues dumping these mates, in fact, I was glad to get the focus of the collection back to what i enjoyed, the comic mates. So as the Captain is ready to walk away from mates, I am more excited by waves 23-26 and the boxsets, than I have been in years.....

Sorry back on track, when I decided to become a completist i had to BEG my local comic shop to stock minimates, in fact i had to promise i would buy 2 full sets from each wave of everything released. Now that is not the entire case, so there was always leftovers. These would then hit the pegs for the other comic shop patrons.. The marvel and dc mates...are all gone (save one scarlet witch set, and one collosus and beast x3 pack) the BSG and Star Trek mates however, are collecting dust on the pegs.

When I went to them a couple of months ago and told them of my curbing down on minimates. The owner said that I saved him the trouble of telling me that he was cool to buy all marvel (and any comic related mates) but if i wanted BSG or Star Trek Mates, I would have to buy the whole case, as he can not move them, and he is losing money on them....

Damn... Sorry BSG fans. I never collected this line so it doesn't bother me as much (kinda like 24 didn't) but the idea that these are collapsing makes me worried that it could happen to Trek. That worries me a lot...

Rest in Peace BSG. Or better yet, rise from the grave!

I know that we're all questioning DST's reasons for ending this line, but another question that may need to be raised is what is the licensing fee that they agree to pay for their various licenses? In terms of disappointment, I have to admit that seeing Doctor Who minimates and then having them pulled away was by far the most disappointed I've been with the minimate line. Now we've seen DC pull their license, BSG looking as though it's been left for dead and Street Fighter ended early.

With that said though, the "mini" market still seems to be strong - Kubricks are still big sellers with a multitude of licenses (DC and Marvel included), Hasbro has had huge success with SuperHero Squad/Galactic Heroes/Robot Heroes/Combat Heroes, and even Hellboy and Doctor Who are coming to various 2-3" lines. So I'm not sure this is a financial problem as the market still seems to support these and is actually favored due to the fewer resources producing such a figure entail.

However, the one thing DST seems to lack is any type of "homegrown" product that they can produce figures for and not have an expensive licensing fee for. Additionally, DST doesn't utilize their website to sell exclusives or bring cancelled/low selling waves to their customers. Look at Mattel who recently started an online only He-Man line. Not only can they charge a higher price but they don't have the marketing overhead seen on some of their other products.

Given the above, I would think that DST has several options to save the line should they truly want to. Unfortunately, I don't think they've found a way to utulize the options they have available to them - even if it was using their website or offering exclusives directly to the fans of the line through collector fan bases (like this one).

Additionally, DST doesn't utilize their website to sell exclusives or bring cancelled/low selling waves to their customers.

Nice point. I'd love to see their site offer more than just the same stuff I can get somewhere else (usually for a little bit less). I'd be much more apt to buy more from them if there were exclusives offered there also.

With that said though, the "mini" market still seems to be strong - Kubricks are still big sellers with a multitude of licenses (DC and Marvel included), Hasbro has had huge success with SuperHero Squad/Galactic Heroes/Robot Heroes/Combat Heroes, and even Hellboy and Doctor Who are coming to various 2-3" lines. So I'm not sure this is a financial problem as the market still seems to support these and is actually favored due to the fewer resources producing such a figure entail.

This is comparing apples and oranges. Minimates (and, to a degree, Kubricks and Bearbricks) are much, much more costly to produce than the "Heroes"-style lines. Heroes generally have one to two points of articulation, which means three castings at most. Compare that to Minimates' 14 points, involving at least 16 castings, plus usually four to five more for accessories. Also, Heroes are hand-painted, which can be done by cheap labor, compared with Minimates' four- to five- step machine tampo process, which is expensive. Add in licensing fees, and the fact that Minimates need to be priced competitively with what is considered by the average consumer to be the "same kind" of product.

So, it's not as much about the market supporting them in general, as it is about the market supporting them to the degree that DST needs in order to make a profit. In the economic climate we're in, with people probably cutting back and only buying the characters/sets they really like rather than every single release, it's likely that fourth-tier characters like Hot Dog and Flight Suit Half Taken Off Variant Athena aren't going to have the same sure-bet sales power.

It would be nice if they had opted to release those Cylons we're missing in a box set – I would guess there is still enough steam in the line to push out those still-unmade characters. However, if I were DST, I would probably make the same decision about putting this line to bed. If this is a "live to fight another day" scenario for Minimates, I'd rather go through another drought like 2006 if it means the line will have the resources for another big push in 2010.

Lobsterman - your points are well taken. However, I do think the market moving to more of a 2"-3" line would have to be a consideration as the resources used to make the product are going to be significantly cheaper than attempting to produce a wave of 6" figures. While the tooling for a minimate may be more expensive, the molds are also able to be reused far more often than say a standard "hero" figure that would typically require a new mold for every character done with in the wave. As a result, the cost would like even itself over time, or even benefit the "minimate" styled lines as arms, legs, chest and torso pieces and easily be reused and new paint applications created to create a functionally new figure. To do the same for a "Heroes" styled line is a bit tougher, due to the variety of characters that may not fit the mold.

As a result, I don't think it's an apples to oranges scenario as both styles are vying for the same store shelves and are targeted at many of the same markets. Even the "minimate" styles are seeing more competition from other areas that have choosen to do a more articulated 2"-3" figure. Just my two cents on the matter. I guess the real question is, who can they find a way to ensure their product is the one consumers are clamoring for - be it BSG, Star Trek, Marvel or any other property they build upon. Regardless, I do think they need to find better ways of ensuring their customer base knows how to find their product and when it will be available (something they've been lacking for a long time).

Did you ask those stores if they would order minimates for you? almost every comic store will place an order if you ask for something.

A simple fact... all toy lines die eventually... I think DST as much as anyone are surprised that marvel minimates are 24 waves in and still going strong. The simple line Chuck repeats endlessly is " If you keep buying them then we will keep making them". DC Minimates (According to DCD) were not popular enough to support a line and those were sold in comic stores so the distribution channels are not the only issue here.

Despite our small community Minimates are not always loved by mainstream tastes and like almost all collectables that go into mainstream stores like FYE, Sam Goody, Target or Hot Topic etc they usually end up on sale or clearance... In those enviroments people don't buy them except for the odd impulse purchase... they go to those stores for DVD's and CD's not toys. Impulse purchases will not be enough to support a line.

Where would you sell them? Where do BSG fans go to buy toys? ( Other than the multitude of online stores which you seem to be ignoring that carry every line of minimates equally) Do BSG fans buy collectables in enough numbers to support them or any toyline?

T.

The only place I can visit regularly (weekly-ish) will only special order for people who are part of their "Comic-Saver club"... that is, they must have at least 12 active comic subscriptions on order at any time. That's not me. Other places I visit are usually for more impulse minimate buying (when I happen to be nearby) and they all have said that they only order comic-related merchandise. Even with the lack of local outlets, I can usually buy online and pre-order as they become available. I make sure BBTS, AFX or SciFiGenre.com all get my business - that's not really the issue. I'm doing my part to get these from direct distributors and placing pre-orders to show my interest.

I think that for these to move mainstream volumes, they have to be consistently in places that are not so specialized (unlike comic stores), and get walk-in traffic like Suncoast, Sam Goody, Virgin Megastore, FYE, Urban Outfitters, Blockbuster, Borders, Spencers, Hot Topic or places that they may be seen by someone who is not necessarily "looking" for them or where people are shopping for gifts (especially DVD's or related items) for people who like 24, Rocky, BSG etc. Comic book stores are too specialized to get the attention of impulse buyers or walk-in traffic and shopping online is for people who are looking for something in particular (and are searching accordingly). Even places like the online stores for Sci-Fi Channel would possibly generate enough interest. What I am saying is that using comic book stores and the toy trade magazines (Toyfare, Previews) has proven that the distribution base for TV/Movies-based toys needs to be more substatantial. For example - my family knows that I like Star Trek - my brother would not seek out a comic store to shop for my birthday, but he happened upon the Limited Edition collection of Star Trek Pez dispensers at Target - which he instantly knew would be something I would like. Had that been a set of ST minimates, he may have purchased them instead, knowing that I liked ST - however, if that same dispenser set was only available online or at a comic book store, he would not have known it existed, much less purchased it. It is about getting these in front of as many people as possible, to find your market and increase interest.

As for the line dying - I think we all expected this line to die eventually, since the TV show had only a 4 season life span. I think what is most frustrating is that the plug got silently pulled this close to the end with only a dozen or so figures away from completion.

You said it, Captain. A dozen or so figures away from completion. That's the real kick in the teeth - if we had just gotten these final mates, the line would have felt finished, and I would have understood and accepted that those would be the last.

I'm holding onto hope that the final skinjob Cylons could appear in a box set, as many of them use existing parts - Aaron Doral's jacket is from 24's Andre Drazen, for example. It would sure please a lot of fans, myself included.

Slightly off track but relevant is this Pre-Order scenario which apparently affects, perhaps ,whether DST/AA continuing or cancelling a line. My situation only allows me to order on-line & in my 2 years of collecting I know of only one Minimate set that I nearly missed out on because they had sold out everywhere....DSS. I used to pre-order from Cornerstore which is ironic because they originally never stocked BSG Minimates Wave 1 yet they are the first & so far only source of this cancellation info. Subsequently CSC were perhaps not as reliable as I'd hoped so I shopped around placing Pre-orders with 'whoever'. I soon got fed up with that when after the release & delivery of each pre-ordered set I subsequently saw them cheaper from the same supplier almost as soon as I had received mine :angry:

Now it doesn't take long for me to grasp the situation & realise that Pre-orders are a nonsense. I can't be alone & surely we've all sussed that ? My point is that On-line Pre-orders mean diddly although I of course realise that this isn't the case when DST/AA are judging the 'expectation' by the Retailer Pre-Orders from 'bricks & mortar' retailers .......but as captain cbecker reports these seem few & far between.

Another final nail in the coffin for Pre-orders was the recent AFX fiasco with the Hulk/Iron-Man Pre-ordered waves which were late. Not the end of the world but I bought cases on ebay from AFX :ohmy: which were cheaper ,arrived earlier than my Pre-ordered cases from.......AFX :ohmy::ohmy:

I'm relatively new to toy collecting & I totally respect you long-termers who obviously have had to eat this shit for years , personally I'm tiring of it. In the case of BSG Minimates ,by all means drop a line if it doesn't sell but I'd have a lot more respect for DST Muck & Chatt 'dropping in' & posting something along the lines of " hey guys,this pisses us off as much as you because of course we're real fans just like you but these ain't selling" . We'd know the score,they'd get some respect & it would save a whole heap of BS !

I'm relatively new to toy collecting & I totally respect you long-termers who obviously have had to eat this shit for years , personally I'm tiring of it. In the case of BSG Minimates ,by all means drop a line if it doesn't sell but I'd have a lot more respect for DST Muck & Chatt 'dropping in' & posting something along the lines of " hey guys,this pisses us off as much as you because of course we're real fans just like you but these ain't selling" . We'd know the score,they'd get some respect & it would save a whole heap of BS !

Yea damn it!! They owe us a statement, because WE didnt buy their product!!! :rolleyes:

It is a business, they are making business decisions... I am certain Matt and Chuck are not happy with any of their product hitting the scrap yard, who would be?

Just from this thread alone, it looks like there were more people who have not bought these, than there were ones who did... and WE are the hard core fans.

There is no BS. the store you tried to pre-order from cancelled the order based off of the distributor. You do not need a statement. If these come out, then great. But even if every person on this forum pre ordered a set, would it be enough to get it released? I doubt it. We are a minority and they have to base this off stores across the country not just one AFX or BBTS, or even a local comic shop. The mere fact that Chuck and Matt come on here at all is because they are nice guys...they do not owe us anything...if you are pissed the figures got cancelled that is fine.

But realize the company doesnt want to not release these, shit man there is money in all the pics, the mock ups, the adversitsements, that all comes off the bottom line. These guys are fighting to keep their product in an ever shrinking market, where costs are going up and sales are going down....cut em some slack.

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

Yea damn it!! They owe us a statement, because WE didnt buy their product!!! :rolleyes:

It is a business, they are making business decisions... I am certain Matt and Chuck are not happy with any of their product hitting the scrap yard, who would be?

Just from this thread alone, it looks like there were more people who have not bought these, than there were ones who did... and WE are the hard core fans.

There is no BS. the store you tried to pre-order from cancelled the order based off of the distributor. You do not need a statement. If these come out, then great. But even if every person on this forum pre ordered a set, would it be enough to get it released? I doubt it. We are a minority. The mere fact that Chuck and Matt come on here at all is because they are nice guys...they do not owe us anything...if you are pissed the figures got cancelled that is fine.

But realize the company doesnt want to not release these, shit man there is money in all the pics, the mock ups, the adversitsements, that all comes off the bottom line. These guys are fighting to keep their product in an ever shrinking market, where costs are going up and sales are going down....cut em some slack.

moc847

Thanks for your opinion . I've met Matt & Chuck & I agree they seem nice guys & I don't recall saying otherwise .....but I'll check my previous post. What I did say was that I would respect what they say....anything they say ....if they actually were to say anything. If the product wasn't selling then cut your losses , I agree because that is what I said ...." by all means drop a line if it doesn't sell".......again read my bloody post. Chuck & Matt are members of this forum ,is it wrong to ask them to perhaps contribute ? Just because their reply might not be to my liking it certainly won't make me feel that "I want to punch them in the face" ;) ...but it would stop the speculative BS & they'd gain more respect from me at least.

Regarding any of your comments regarding ANYTHING I said about Pre-orders all I can say is that you don't seem to be disagreeing with anything I said about Pre-orders. "Lack of Pre-Orders" was one reason ,for cancelling,put forward in the thread by another member & whether I got my point across is now obviously debatable . I haven't pre-ordered anything except the IM/Hulk waves for months for the reasons I mentioned BUT I buy everything that is released ....I buy everything that is released but I do not Pre-order.....get it? I am saying that Pre-orders are not a true guide as to what will sell.

I accept your opinion & your criticism of what you may think I said or ...indeed did say. This is a forum & our opinions are our own & until a Mod says otherwise I'll say what I like.

That's my opinion of which I assumed I was entitled ,in the meantime cut me some slack by reading what I write .

Edited by buttheadsmate

There is no BS. the store you tried to pre-order from cancelled the order based off of the distributor. You do not need a statement. If these come out, then great. But even if every person on this forum pre ordered a set, would it be enough to get it released? I doubt it. We are a minority. The mere fact that Chuck and Matt come on here at all is because they are nice guys...they do not owe us anything...if you are pissed the figures got cancelled that is fine.

moc847

Thanks for your opinion . I've met Matt & Chuck & I agree they seem nice guys & I don't recall saying otherwise .....but I'll check my previous post. What I did say was that I would respect what they say....anything they say ....if they actually were to say anything. If the product wasn't selling then cut your losses , I agree because that is what I said ...." by all means drop a line if it doesn't sell".......again read my bloody post. Chuck & Matt are members of this forum ,is it wrong to ask them to perhaps contribute ? Just because their reply might not be to my liking it certainly won't make feel that "I want to punch them in the face" ;) ...but it would stop the speculative BS & they'd gain more respect from me at least.

Regarding any of your comments regarding ANYTHING I said about Pre-orders all I can say is that you don't seem to be disagreeing with anything I said about Pre-orders. "Lack of Pre-Orders" was one reason ,for cancelling,put forward in the thread by another member & whether I got my point across is now obviously debatable . I haven't pre-ordered anything except the IM/Hulk waves for months for the reasons I mentioned BUT I buy everything that is released ....I buy everything that is released but I do not Pre-order.....get it? I am saying that Pre-orders are not a true guide as to what will sell.

I accept your opinion & your criticism of what you may think I said or ...indeed did say. This is a forum & our opinions are our own & until a Mod says otherwise I'll say what I like.

That's my opinion of which I assumed I was entitled ,in the meantime cut me some slack by reading what I write .

Sorry I did generalze my comments, I guess I didnt want some younger members jumping on the Matt and Chuck owe us routine. Specifically when you called them Muck and Chatt.

I also still do not see what the BS is you are talking about? The site dropped them, history tells us, that when that happens to be the case the line is more than likely dead err i mean "put on hold".

I was not trying to argue with you (and yes I would punch you in the face given the opportunity, I think all collectors need it once in a while *excluding me of course :) ) I am certain there will be something in a Q&A session in the near future.... That is their mouth piece....

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

Muck & Chatt was perhaps ill-advised as was my use of BS. The BS I refer to is the 'speculation' without any obvious foundation *. I for one ,cannot find anything tangible that confirms this news. As regards the 'punch' you'll perhaps have to get in line & be very,very quick.

* edit: I now accept your reasoning re :the AA site.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Muck & Chatt was perhaps ill-advised as was my use of BS. The BS I refer to is the 'speculation' without any obvious foundation . I for one ,cannot find anything tangible that confirms this news. As regards the 'punch' you'll perhaps have to get in line & be very,very quick.

As it stands I am ticket holder 465...now serving number 7.... :)

and as far as news, i did notice on the art asylum release post, there was no mention of BSG mates on the schedule.

Edited by murderofcrows

I do agree with BHM that it would have been nice for either Matt or Chuck to have popped into the forum sometime over the last three days to either confirm or deny the lines cancellation. MOC is right to say they don't 'owe' us an explanation, but it would have been nice to have heard from them as it would have put a lid on the BS that has spread on this thread. That way we could either mourn or celebrate instead of speculate at who/what is to blame.

For me, I'm gutted. BSG is one of my favourite shows and I love that the minimates exist. I've pre-ordered every set up to wave 4 and the specials. The only reason I haven't pre-ordered 5&6 and the Caprica set (was that set even solicited) is that being in the UK I was starting to find that the exchange rate is so against me now, that it was better for me personally to pitch in with someone else who is importing and buy them that way. Thus sharing shipping costs rather than incurring them personally.