UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

In the cool light of a fresh day I guess I was perhaps expecting this, probably many of us were.Here's my personal post mortem .

I love the show but as Karamazov80 implied ,I may "need to get out more",it's a very good show but not I concede ..great. It was however a great licence to obtain & a shame to have wasted it. Wasted because of the over-emphasis of the Cylons (not the skin-jobs, the chrome -warrior 'CW' versions) & the lack of Vipers & Raiders . OK ,AA & DST got their fingers burnt with C3 (I won't dwell on that but I so easily could) but this licence begged for vehicles of some sort. How many pilots did we get & WTF were they going to fly? In the TV show we rarely saw 'CW' Cylons in multiples in scenes at all except for when we got to Caprica yet these were pushed as 'army builders' again & again, we even got a Free-fall Cylon which if I recall was featured in the show for a full half-minute.

So we didn't get vehicles & there was nothing on the market that was compatible,we had armies of Minimate- CW Cylons which never really featured prominently in the show & enough Six versions to rival Wolverine.Not good but what came next was worse,the tribute sets to the original series which in my humble opinion was ....let's be kind & say not worthy of Minimate attention.

Don't get me wrong I'm more Die-Hard than Bruce Willis when it comes to Minimates & I loved everything we were given but I am in the minority & any licence will die if the majority isn't served up with what it requires.

My conclusion is that in future licences ,forget the army builders box-sets they apparently don't sell, don't concentrate on pilots who have no vehicles & don't promote characters that had to be produced in similar numbers as non-variant characters as variants.....notably Gina which has to be the most abundant 'chase' this side of Emma Frost. The shame is it's happening again with Star Trek Minimates ,the Mc.Coy variant (?) rivals JJJ as a WTF moment for me ....I mean what's next Tribbles Kirk with no Tribbles...it wouldn't happen with Marvel.....Avengers #1 Box-Set including Thor except that it was his day- off???

Minimates & the people who produce them have much to be proud of & justifiably so.This year has brought us some fantastic Minimates with very few exceptions but there is a distinct, unspoken of , problem with the market research & the direction thereof once a license has been acquired. Somebody needs to get it right ...quick.

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always sad to see a licence go. It seems I differ from many here I couldn't get into BSG new series so the mates where never something I bought. The only BSG sets I did get where the two classic boxsets and that was for the cylons and the daggit mates.

I do agree with what was said earlier that this year I can see being hard for toys and collecters as the cost of production and the economy hits home on all fronts, people will be more choosy on what to produce and especially buy.

Always sad to see a licence go. It seems I differ from many here I couldn't get into BSG new series so the mates where never something I bought. The only BSG sets I did get where the two classic boxsets and that was for the cylons and the daggit mates.

I do agree with what was said earlier that this year I can see being hard for toys and collecters as the cost of production and the economy hits home on all fronts, people will be more choosy on what to produce and especially buy.

Well there you go! You ONLY bought the Classic Boxsets which I perhaps found to be the lamest ...it's all about personal tastes I guess & I mean no disrespect to yours.

The economy?With the pound currently worth as much as a bag of used toilet-roll in the US, my purchases have slumped like everybody else here in the UK.

I'm gutted about this. I have bought every modern BSG pack (excluding Razor) and multiples of many. I wanted those final Cylons more than anything. :(

Wow, this really bites. The last waves would have had everything I would have wanted in the BSG mates, and then some. We would have even completed the cylons :(

I wonder if there is any hope for an exclusive or anything?

First Street Fighter, then DC, then 24, then Rocky... now BSG. Ugh! Who's next on the chopping block? Man does it ever suck to see a license bite the big one, especially when we (the collectors) have had our appetites wetted with images of upcoming waves. RIP BSG, you will be missed.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

First Street Fighter, then DC, then 24, then Rocky... now BSG. Ugh! Who's next on the chopping block? Man does it ever suck to see a license bite the big one, especially when we (the collectors) have had our appetites wetted with images of upcoming waves. RIP BSG, you will be missed.

"First, LOTR. Then, SF2. Now, BSG. It's a pity you Minimates die so easily, or I might have a sence of satisfaction now!"

Please, DST. Do what you know is right. Light our darkest hour!

(I am such a geek!)

AFX are showing diddly & BBTS are still offering them for Pre-Order......they are dead :(

It's annoying that the Art Asylum Blog is great for 'Births & Marriages' but they always seem to leave the Retailers to announce the 'Deaths'.

Something is definitely not quite right about this whole thing. I just re-read the Art Asylum dated Nov.24th 2008 & refuse to believe that the guy supposedly at the helm of this whole outfit said that whilst planning its demise. http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/11/retu...mates/#more-363

Something is definitely not quite right about this whole thing. I just re-read the Art Asylum dated Nov.24th 2008 & refuse to believe that the guy supposedly at the helm of this whole outfit said that whilst planning its demise. http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/11/retu...mates/#more-363

Even though it was one of the design girls not Chuck :P

My guess is it's simply no one put in preorders... I wouldn't make something if it wasnt going to sell either!

The other thought is perhaps the license is about to expire and they wouldn't get these produced in time?

A well known english phrase that includes the words arse and elbow springs to mind here when taknig into account the AA blog.:)

T.

I'm just going to let myself be in denial about this until we hear official word from DST. I'm not as upset as I was yesterday, but it still is making me seriously reconsider how much of a collector of Minimates I want to be.

AFX are showing diddly & BBTS are still offering them for Pre-Order......they are dead :(

It's annoying that the Art Asylum Blog is great for 'Births & Marriages' but they always seem to leave the Retailers to announce the 'Deaths'.

Funny how our "friends" at DST can manage to show up and "crow" about their little coups (like the TRU release), but when it comes to burrying the dead, we all get hung out to dry.

If the economy is such an issue, maybe this shouldn't have been such a mammoth release all at once - I think many of us would have liked to get the final cylons without the extra versions of Baltar, Six, D'Anna and Apollo. Maybe this would have gone better if it weren't 2 sets plus a bx all at once. That's like a $100 hit for all sets.

I know I would've been happy with Simon, Cavil, Leoben, Tory, Anders, Doral, Hot Dog & Racetrack - if the set were cut to one Wave, plus maybe a box or 2-pack, then it's a lot less $$ all at once.

Sadly, if all we can look forward to in the future is Marvel mates, I think I'm pretty much done with minimates...

Edited by captain_cbecker

Sadly, if all we can look forward to in the future is Marvel mates, I think I'm pretty much done with minimates...

That comment basically sums up how serious this is . How strong is the feeling for Star Trek Minimates ? I would rather have lost that line & they may very well be next if my mood swings to pessimism again after optimistically clasping at the TRU straw.

Edited by buttheadsmate

That comment basically sums up how serious this is . How strong is the feeling for Star Trek Minimates ? I would rather have lost that line & they may very well be next if my mood swings to pessimism again after optimistically clasping at the TRU straw.

Unless Toyfair brings good things, DST hasn't thrown anything out for ST and with BSG dead (or dying), there are no other properties that have been announced, other than T2 and the Marvel stuff. None of which is particularly fascinating.

Unless Toyfair brings good things, DST hasn't thrown anything out for ST and with BSG dead (or dying), there are no other properties that have been announced, other than T2 and the Marvel stuff. None of which is particularly fascinating.

To you... lets see how those scores go in numbers of waves so far... Marvel 24 BSG 4

- Marvel is the flagship minimate line and will continue to be so. Other lines have always come and gone, to be honest I'm surprised BSG made it this far.

The problem with BSG is that they aren't exciting to look at, it's something that has been discussed many many times. For some reason minimates work better when they aren't based off real people. IMO also some of the BSG likenesses aren't that close anyway, so that's a double wammy.

The other problem is who buys them, I know a lot of BSG fans that wrinkled their noses at minimates, just because the show has a large fan base doesn't mean there is crossover with toy fans or collectors.

As for those waiting for official word from DST go post in the Q&A at AA because they wont say anything unless prompted, even then I will paraphrase what I expect Chuck will say "BSG has been put on hold due to a lack of interest from retailers, the line isn't cancelled, never say never but it's happening right now."

T.

To you... lets see how those scores go in numbers of waves so far... Marvel 24 BSG 4

- Marvel is the flagship minimate line and will continue to be so. Other lines have always come and gone, to be honest I'm surprised BSG made it this far.

The problem with BSG is that they aren't exciting to look at, it's something that has been discussed many many times. For some reason minimates work better when they aren't based off real people. IMO also some of the BSG likenesses aren't that close anyway, so that's a double wammy.

The other problem is who buys them, I know a lot of BSG fans that wrinkled their noses at minimates, just because the show has a large fan base doesn't mean there is crossover with toy fans or collectors.

As for those waiting for official word from DST go post in the Q&A at AA because they wont say anything unless prompted, even then I will paraphrase what I expect Chuck will say "BSG has been put on hold due to a lack of interest from retailers, the line isn't cancelled, never say never but it's happening right now."

T.

I want to argue with you dammit but I know your right... about most of it. Answer me this though please..... doesn't somebody at DST/AA think about all these things before they plough on? I almost predict your answer however!

I want to argue with you dammit but I know your right... about most of it. Answer me this though please..... doesn't somebody at DST/AA think about all these things before they plough on? I almost predict your answer however!

Thats the million dollar question, I'd like to say yes they do think it through and have a plan but sometimes I'm not so sure.

I suspect the sales of previous waves and "make prototypes and see how pre-orders go" is how DST get feedback on lines. IMO the biggest issue DST seems to have with non comic licenses is timing, it just takes them too long to get up to speed and when they do release them the peaktime is already over and people are moving onto the next thing. Perhaps they should consider employing someone who is better at judging what is going to be the big thing a year down the line and take a gamble a little earlier?

However everything above is opinion and from someone not in the industry so I only see it from a consumer POV, I'm sure that if my living depended on it and if i was privvy to more secrets of how DST (and the toy industry in general) does things then I'm sure it would all make more sense.

T.

Thanks for the reply & again you're right .........however I aim this directly at the 'Gods' again.....

........we're both fans,TBT, & not Toy Industry Professionals & it didn't stop either of us knowing that Skrulls were sure-fire hits months ago when The Secret Invasion was at full-steam . People were aware of the story ,the characters & the Skrull tooling was in place yet we are still waiting for the official items despite LE's fantastic interpretation of them.

Bloody Hell all they needed to do was produce heads ....the war's over & everbody, again ,as you say has moved on.

It is beyond me :(

So, instead of just complaining about it here, how many board members have had already started contacting DST to show their disapproval? I have and just mentioned how I've got the whole line (with several duplicates) and have never once pre-ordered anything. I know it's not so much fan support as it's how that translates to retail support, but why don't we ask DST what it would take to save the line (if that's what's happening). Here's the link:

direct all questions/complaints here

And maybe we can offer up the Spirit mates as a sacrifice-just go ahead and cancel the mates based on a movie that is bombing at theaters and put more focus on one that fans are asking for.

Edited by groundhog7s

How much leeway do the powers that be at DST/AA actually have over the specific characters that are released, and when they can be released, I wonder? They have control over licenses in a broad sense, and we know that some of their "pet" favorite Marvel characters have been released from time to time (how else to explain Cloak and Dagger), but maybe it is the people behind the licenses (BSG, Marvel, etc.) who often make the "bad" decisions, including the timing issue TBT! is talking about (maybe they have a difficult time figuring out AA/DST's production time-frame when they order a certain set?). Whatever the case, I would be real interested to know who thought that "Ghost Rider: the Movie" Minimates was a good idea.

Thanks for the reply & again you're right .........however I aim this directly at the 'Gods' again.....

........we're both fans,TBT, & not Toy Industry Professionals & it didn't stop either of us knowing that Skrulls were sure-fire hits months ago when The Secret Invasion was at full-steam . People were aware of the story ,the characters & the Skrull tooling was in place yet we are still waiting for the official items despite LE's fantastic interpretation of them.

Bloody Hell all they needed to do was produce heads ....the war's over & everbody, again ,as you say has moved on.

It is beyond me :(

hehe, sorry I thought your previous question was questioning my thoughts and not a direct question to the 'Gods' :)

Perhaps this is the main reason why Marvel mates do so well and TV stuff doesn't?

Comic readers have a collector mentality and stories can take months(often a full year or more) to deliver an ending, so they are used to waiting on something and don't notice these delays as badly or see it as filling in back issues almost?

TV viewers are much more of an instant fix kind of people, they want it and want it now, waiting a week for a new episode seems too long to them and when they have finished a series they are done and move onto another show until next season, they don't have the put it in the long box and pull it out on a rainy day mentality comic collectors do.

Groundhog, nice idea in theory but DST will say 'there weren't preorders so we're not making them... Go look at Street fighter or DC mates for a long drawn out what can we do to get these that didn't work... BSG will be the same...

As for KMZ's question of the who gets made... once DST have a license they are the ones that decide on timing and who is made and to my knowledge only have to get approval on likenesses. On the flip side of course is if a line does run longer than expected it's not a smart idea to put everyone into the first 2-3 waves or you run out of steam.

T.

I've always been too cynical in the past to get involved with complaining about the demise of lines but my thoughts have been lodged at 'Good News Only'.

How much leeway do the powers that be at DST/AA actually have over the specific characters that are released, and when they can be released, I wonder? They have control over licenses in a broad sense, and we know that some of their "pet" favorite Marvel characters have been released from time to time (how else to explain Cloak and Dagger), but maybe it is the people behind the licenses (BSG, Marvel, etc.) who often make the "bad" decisions, including the timing issue TBT! is talking about (maybe they have a difficult time figuring out AA/DST's production time-frame when they order a certain set?). Whatever the case, I would be real interested to know who thought that "Ghost Rider: the Movie" Minimates was a good idea.

"Ghost Rider" unfortunately is another character who would have roared ferociously into the fray Riding F*ck All because somebody can't negotiate a bike for him .

Groundhog, nice idea in theory but DST will say 'there weren't preorders so we're not making them... Go look at Street fighter or DC mates for a long drawn out what can we do to get these that didn't work... BSG will be the same...

Yeah, I'm not naive enough to think we wouldn't get the same response we usually get, but maybe it's just frustration that comes from hearing complaints here (where they do no good) and wondering if they're ever expressed to the right people.

Edited by groundhog7s

Yeah, I'm not naive enough to think we wouldn't get the same response we usually get, but maybe it's just frustration that comes from hearing complaints here (where they do no good) and wondering if they're ever expressed to the right people.

The question is who are the right people if you know it wont make a bit of difference? we know that DST comes here and reads our opinions and perhaps a disccusion in one public place is a good a place as any.

For me it's more of a case of if BSG is dead then we're discussing where did it go wrong? and what can DST learn to help make future properties as successful as the marvel waves?

It's not a case of asking for it back because if people didn't buy enough to make it work there will not magically be a demand for them other than a few extra cases from the I want to keep it alive fans, which I cant see being enough to justifyreviving a line.

T.

p.s. all of this of course is based on waiting to hear if it really is cancelled and not vendors jumping the gun again.