UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

If anything was going to help confirm that there will be no resurrection of this line then 8 Minimates for $7.80 including one Variant set ,then I reckon this will just about seal it. I have never, ever, seen a retailer sell a wave,any wave ,including bloody Street Fighter, for less. :(

What's really sad is that they have 76 sets in stock. Ouch.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is post #99 * & I still haven't mentioned the thread title still needs another 'l' in it before we all accept that the line is actually cancelled. In the meantime "Fill your boots" with this deal on Season 4 BSG from BBTS http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

If anything was going to help confirm that there will be no resurrection of this line then 8 Minimates for $7.80 including one Variant set ,then I reckon this will just about seal it. I have never, ever, seen a retailer sell a wave,any wave ,including bloody Street Fighter, for less. :(

A buck per Minimate is a pretty amazing deal. I'll have to pick up at least one at that price.

I also posted the Q&A a few days ago, and i'm sure others will have too. Chuck may have a few "see aboves" to post this time around; let's hope it says "Delayed for production for a month"

Yep, the minute this thread was posted! Though, I expect to hear something official before these "Q&As" are addressed. My hope (though I'd prefer these as previously solicited) is that the response will be something to the effect of "these have been reconfigured to be incorporated into our partnership with TRU", but I fear that I'm grasping at straws now as none of these 'mates would probably make much of a debut without the inclusion of some sort of A-list rehash. Even then...*sigh*

First comes denial, then desperation (see above), anger and eventual accep...oh who the Hell am I kidding? C'mon Chuck, surprise us (in a good way)!!

Maybe there's the off chance they'll release some of these as Convention exclusives with a lower run.

Yes, I'm still in denial/desperation.

I'd hope so. AA did say that they'd be peparing an exclusive for the NYCC. Hopefully it's a minimate one, and hopefully it's the New Caprica box set. It should attract a quite bit of attention if it were.

Let's hope that DST will have some official announcement regarding the BSG cancellation and any future license cancellations in their fold (personally I don't think they'll show their hand) at the 2009 NYCC.

I think they could come close to wrapping the License with a single wave - just to get the final cylons out there, given the economy, 2 waves + a box was too much for some.... right now, I'd settle for a set that has at least left us with a complete set of skin-job cylons (1 of each type) - I'm not interested in another Six or Three... but getting 1 of each model would be great... I think that many of us might be satisfied only with Wave 5 if Natalie and D'Anna were replaced with Leoben and maybe Racetrack or Hotdog... I'd even settle for Hot Dog & Racetrack with the original pilot bodies (to keep costs down). Maybe a 2-pack for those who are looking for the Tighs, or Kara or a couple of the desireable-but-duplicate characters.

How about this as a final wave:

Doral & Simon

Tori & Leoben

Cavil & Anders

Cavil & Racetrack (variant) w/ extra Hot Dog Head & Hair (for those of us with more than a few Pilot Bodies around)

Perhaps of this were scaled back, it might fly?? Any thoughts?

Edited by captain_cbecker

post-638-1231609996_thumb.jpg post-638-1231610061_thumb.jpg I include the pictures of BSG Waves 5 & 6 & to be perfectly honest, with hindsight, all we really needed was some spare heads & about 4 different bodies instead of 2 Waves. I am as disappointed as anybody but the evidence in these 2 pictures is pretty compelling that these figures just aren't individual enough. The 'Captive Six' is completely expendable whilst we get 3 more pilots ,3 guys in suits , 3 civilian women etc. etc.. I am being harsh ,but I 'know' who these characters are but they are hardly going to raise the pulse-rate of an impulse buyer, who doesn't ,are they? I think we have to let 'Aunt May Go' however much we love her :( Edited by buttheadsmate

post-638-1231609996_thumb.jpg post-638-1231610061_thumb.jpg I include the pictures of BSG Waves 5 & 6 & to be perfectly honest, with hindsight, all we really needed was some spare heads & about 4 different bodies instead of 2 Waves. I am as disappointed as anybody but the evidence in these 2 pictures is pretty compelling that these figures just aren't individual enough. The 'Captive Six' is completely expendable whilst we get 3 more pilots ,3 guys in suits , 3 civilian women etc. etc.. I am being harsh ,but I 'know' who these characters are but they are hardly going to raise the pulse-rate of an impulse buyer, who doesn't ,are they? I think we have to let 'Aunt May Go' however much we love her :(

Sadly.. the variants of the Six (especially since Caprica Six from Wave 2 and Captive Six are almost cientical), a fourth Baltar, another Boomer/Three/Athena and a third Apollo, along with a 3rd-tier character like Lampkin are just not too interesting and probably contributed to the demise of the line and lack of interest.

Honestly, I also think that a lot of the work (and cost) on the Dress Uniform and peeled-off pilots uniform could be jettisoned in favor of existing Pilot bodies or the casual (exclusive Starbuck-type) uniform.

Edited by captain_cbecker

[quote name='buttheadsmate' post='93070' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:11 PM'I am being harsh ,but I 'know' who these characters are but they are hardly going to raise the pulse-rate of an impulse buyer, who doesn't ,are they? I think we have to let 'Aunt May Go' however much we love her :(

While for 80 percent of BHM post, I will agree with him, I will disagree about giving up on an Aunt May. Is she an eye catcher? no but you sure as hell could pack her with one. There in lies the problem with BSG....there were no eye catchers for the passer by, (except maybe a cylon and AA tried to push that one for sure) If you got BSG you were either a die hard fan of the show or minimates...

BSG was a quasi military themed show so all of the characters basically wore 1 to three outfits and they were all uniforms... a simple head swap is great for cost, but doesnt wow people.

With the Marvel License, you can have an Aunt May, or a Robbie Robertson, you just have to pack them with a Dr. Octopus, or an Electro...something to catch the casual spiderman fan, and the die hard collectors or comic book geeks.

For an example, when DCD was saying, well maybe a boxset....(which still stings my heart that they bailed, but i digress) If they did a Daily Planet Boxset....it might sell depending on how you packed it.

IF it was Clark, Lois, Perry and Jimmy. SURE the die hards would buy it...iconic characters that they love.

But to the casual person, superman box without superman or villain? screw that.....

Now break them up and pack them, i dont know

Lois and Banshee

Perry and Despero

Jimmy and Toyman

Clark and Darkseid or something....

Civilians with eye catchers....

It sucks for the fans, and the customizers, but i honestly would rather them focus their efforts on Marvel and continue the eye catchers

moc847

Edited by murderofcrows

Well, I too have now received a "Dear John" letter on my New Caprica box set pre-order from Stuckakid. While I still refuse to give-up hope for the remaining Skin-jobs, Hot Dog and Racetrack (in some form or another), I must admit that the situation looks dire. Here comes anger.........

My 'Aunt May' remark probably reflects my current reading.... 'Spider-Man One More Day'... where PP refuses to accept his aunt's imminent death although ultimately it may be for the best. Sorry for any confusion.

It is difficult to discuss the marketing decision to end BSG Minimates without reflecting the economy .Whilst things were good I believe we were blessed with a fantastic range of waves that we were all hungry for & bought. Now that it is harder for everybody ,manufacturers & consumers ,there is a need for some rationalisation . Most of us agree now that 'civilian mates' don't really 'float our boats' & much the same can be said about 'army builders' . There is an exception to this which may be a god-send ....the Marvel Secret Invasion box-set which has ,if I recall correctly, 4 'extra' Skrull heads . If this set sells well then perhaps it will be the marketing model for future Headwaves . These Headwaves would placate the likes of us,BSG Minimate fans' without the necessity of bringing out full waves. This would never have happened in the past ,I don't believe DST/AA would have even contemplated it . The difference is ,this is now & we aren't living in the past .There needs to be some new ideas & whilst mine might not be the best it's better than just scrapping these waves ....Star Trek next?

Edited by buttheadsmate

I think they could come close to wrapping the License with a single wave - just to get the final cylons out there, given the economy, 2 waves + a box was too much for some.... right now, I'd settle for a set that has at least left us with a complete set of skin-job cylons (1 of each type) - I'm not interested in another Six or Three... but getting 1 of each model would be great... I think that many of us might be satisfied only with Wave 5 if Natalie and D'Anna were replaced with Leoben and maybe Racetrack or Hotdog... I'd even settle for Hot Dog & Racetrack with the original pilot bodies (to keep costs down). Maybe a 2-pack for those who are looking for the Tighs, or Kara or a couple of the desireable-but-duplicate characters.

How about this as a final wave:

Doral & Simon

Tori & Leoben

Cavil & Anders

Cavil & Racetrack (variant) w/ extra Hot Dog Head & Hair (for those of us with more than a few Pilot Bodies around)

Perhaps of this were scaled back, it might fly?? Any thoughts?

Hmmm. O.K., I can give-up the "dress uniform" , but I was really looking forward to the "stripped-down flight suits". In fact, I was planning on buying multiples to outfit my extra Apollo, Starbuck, Kat, and Hot Dog heads. Perhaps a 2-pack with Hot Dog/Racetrack (one suited-up/one stripped-down) could satisfy. Skin-jobs, well these (regardless of how "boring" they appear) are all pretty much necessary. I could sacrifice Six, Baltar, President Lee, Athena and Romo but not D'Anna as this was the version I had been waiting for (didn't care much for S.4's "crazed version). Perhaps a box set could appease (with Leoben!). There's still the problem of Anders and Tori (both needed). I propose a "Final Five" boxset with these two, Tyrol (shaved head), Tigh (eye patch), and the mystery fifth as a final farewell after the big reveal (#5 could even be solicited "blacked-out" to avoid spoilers and generate interest).

So there we have it, 2 boxsets (5 'mates each) and 1 exclusive 2-pack (encourages multiple sales for customizers and MOC collectors). Limited numbers and the consolidation of boxsets (which seem an easier sell) could possibly work. But then again, these initial offerings seem to be canceled due to lack of sales. Do we honestly expect DST to gamble on a different format if only a handful are willing to buy? Send-in those "letters of support" (for what they are worth) and perhaps they might reconsider.

*O.K., no anger just yet. I'm going to try something different...hope. Though for a pessimist like myself, it feels more like an extended "denial/desperation" phase! :P

Edited by cdubya

What's even sadder is that even at that price ,24 hours later, they are showing 73 .....having sold 3.

Check out Star Trek Series 3 http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

$9.30 a variant set of 8.

Make your own minds up but don't shoot the messenger :(

I'm surprised to hear this, considering that now seems like a great time to get BSG stuff out there. Among fans, BSG-fever is pretty hot now since the final episodes are starting on Friday. For once, it would be conceivable for the figures to be out at the same time the property was in the public eye. Now seems the time to re-solicit these things because everyone's thinking BSG right now.

I'm going to be all Blue Lantern about this, and wait until there's a more official word, but things aren't looking good.

There is still a tiny part of my psyche that tells me that AA/DST have 'done' some commercially brilliant deal with TRU & are going to offer a '12th Cylon' Wave which is going to hit the stores to coincide with the 'outing' not only of

Gaeta from the closet

but the final skin-job. This box-set will be so hot that it will burn . The license is in place, the figures are made & the punters are panting. The 'usual retailing methods have been circumvented & all previous pre-orders cancelled ........then the alarm clock goes off........... :(

I am intrigued ....Blue Lantern ?????

Edited by buttheadsmate

What's even sadder is that even at that price ,24 hours later, they are showing 73 .....having sold 3.

Check out Star Trek Series 3 http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

$9.30 a variant set of 8.

Make your own minds up but don't shoot the messenger :(

No,no,no,no,NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Not now! Not before Data or Geordi! Damn... I knew it was going to happen, but I hoped for one or two more waves or boxsets :'(

Yeah, wave 3 suffered from not having any regular uniforms or non specific aliens for army building. although I did buy multiples of the Spock sets for extra Vulcans/Romulans, Mark Lenard (Sarek) did play the first fully seen Romulan onscreen.

I still have high hopes for Star Trek mates though, the fact that TRU is carrying Star Trek merch that pictures the minimates on the back as well as carrying other minimates, has me optimistic.

Okay, seriously. Is that New Caprica preorder banner from Stuckakid like a knife in the gut for anyone else? It is killing me.

Hell yes, it was the first thing I saw when I logged-on to post the cancellation notice I received from Stuckakid! Ellen's face looks especially snarky to me now. She's all like, "you will never possess me now loser!!" :no: