UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

Still doesn't explain the lack of Carpacia. :( So if we only need 5, box set or full on wave with 2 extra characters? Maybe a BD Morter Cylon?

(my italics)

Uh, do you mean Caprica, the prequel TV show? That won't start until 2010, though the 2 hour pilot will be out on DVD sometime in 2009. It's kinda early to expect to see Caprica Minimates.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the "New Caprica" box set rather than the upcoming spin-off series.

While the "final five" would be nice, all of the 'mates from the box set and Series 5-6 are pretty important to rounding-out this line and deserve to be released somehow. Without spoiling anything, it is important to remember that the final five (2 have been done...but I won't say who) are separate from the other unreleased 'skin-jobs' (which total 4). That, and I really wanted at least one stripped-down/tank-top pilot to use as a base for pilot customs (provided that it wasn't a limited variant). I could personally call-it-quits after that (and easily customize anything lacking...except for Colonial Marines!). Hopefully, they have a "plan" to somehow incorporate all of these.

Edited by cdubya

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was a reference to carpaccio, a dish of thinly sliced raw beef and mustard sauce usually served as an appetizer. Yum? I don't think anyone needs to ever explain the lack of that.

Wasn't the 'casual pilot' look one of the very first items shown waaaaaay back when? It's a very cool look on a minimate.

Still doesn't explain the lack of Carpacia. :( So if we only need 5, box set or full on wave with 2 extra characters? Maybe a BD Morter Cylon?

(my italics)

Uh, do you mean Caprica, the prequel TV show? That won't start until 2010, though the 2 hour pilot will be out on DVD sometime in 2009. It's kinda early to expect to see Caprica Minimates.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the "New Caprica" box set rather than the upcoming spin-off series.

While the "final five" would be nice, all of the 'mates from the box set and Series 5-6 are pretty important to rounding-out this line and deserve to be released somehow. Without spoiling anything, it is important to remember that the final five (2 have been done...but I won't say who) are separate from the other unreleased 'skin-jobs' (which total 4). That, and I really wanted at least one stripped-down/tank-top pilot to use as a base for pilot customs (provided that it wasn't a limited variant). I could personally call-it-quits after that (and easily customize anything lacking...except for Colonial Marines!). Hopefully, they have a "plan" to somehow incorporate all of these.

Of the New Caprica Set and series 5, 6, I think there's room to slim it down a bit... I certainly wouldn't lose sleep without the Captive Six, Romo Lampkin or Preacher Baltar - afterall there's quite a few Baltars & Sixes out there and Lampkin wasn't a particularly compelling character.

I also think if you packed Athena, Hotdog or Racetrack with the variant, an extra head/hair will go further to round out the cast.

I'm just hoping that all the cylon models get fleshed out by the time this things ends its run

Of the New Caprica Set and series 5, 6, I think there's room to slim it down a bit... I certainly wouldn't lose sleep without the Captive Six, Romo Lampkin or Preacher Baltar - afterall there's quite a few Baltars & Sixes out there and Lampkin wasn't a particularly compelling character.

I also think if you packed Athena, Hotdog or Racetrack with the variant, an extra head/hair will go further to round out the cast.

I'm just hoping that all the cylon models get fleshed out by the time this things ends its run

I could live without those, though I suspect that if these are to be remixed, that they will more than likely appear in box set form. I figure 2 box sets would cover the Cylons (there are 7 that must be made), if they are truly considering a 'final five' set, but I'm not sure how the rest could fit in. I like the idea of the pilots packed with a variant (if they go the "Series" route), but would prefer them in the stripped-down mode (as there's plenty of flight suit bodies available to swap heads. Even more if they are honestly talking "vehicles"...unlikely as it seems.). HotDog is a must, the rest...gravy.

It's a shame that the popularity of the show itself is not reflected in the excitement for these 'mates, as I always thought there could've been some great exclusives like: Centurian/Col. Marine (for army-building both camps, which is always a smart way to ensure multiple purchases) or even a Hybrid/with black tub(which could've also been used for "down-loads"!). I guess only time (and Toy Fair) will tell...jump.

I certainly wouldn't lose sleep without the Captive Six, Romo Lampkin or Preacher Baltar - afterall there's quite a few Baltars & Sixes out there and Lampkin wasn't a particularly compelling character.

You think Hotdog and Racetrack are more compelling than Romo Lampkin? There has been more character development for Romo in one episode than Hotdog and Racetrack have had combined over the course of the entire series. Here is Romo's hit list:

He sucessfully defended Baltar, redeeming Lee in the process, was selected to help choose a replacement for the president, carried a putrid cat around with him as a surrogate for his wife and child and stabbed a marine in the neck with a pen to save Starbuck.

Not to mention I met him at NYCC last weekend and he's a hell of a nice guy. Hotdog and Racetrack are just scenery compared to Lampkin.

I apoligize for the rant.

I certainly wouldn't lose sleep without the Captive Six, Romo Lampkin or Preacher Baltar - afterall there's quite a few Baltars & Sixes out there and Lampkin wasn't a particularly compelling character.

You think Hotdog and Racetrack are more compelling than Romo Lampkin? There has been more character development for Romo in one episode than Hotdog and Racetrack have had combined over the course of the entire series. Here is Romo's hit list:

He sucessfully defended Baltar, redeeming Lee in the process, was selected to help choose a replacement for the president, carried a putrid cat around with him as a surrogate for his wife and child and stabbed a marine in the neck with a pen to save Starbuck.

Not to mention I met him at NYCC last weekend and he's a hell of a nice guy. Hotdog and Racetrack are just scenery compared to Lampkin.

Lampkin doesn't do much for me, either.

And while I agree that Racetrack has always been an undeveloped background character, there are a few other pilots I'd love to see before Lampkin - Seelix, Hot Dog and Crashdown have all had huge moments during the series, and I would like to see them (although Crashdown & Seelix haven't been planned at any point, so far as I can tell - aside from the supposed Racetrack minimate looking more like Seelix than Racetrack to me).

I definitely think Romo is a great character and deserving of a mate, but, c'mon, Hotdog is great too. He's been there from pretty early on, he's the second Hispanic in space, and

he's Tyrol's baby daddy and he refused to shoot Roslin down

. He may be background, but so is Galactica itself. He's one of the few characters I DON'T want to develop. He's young and a soldier: he's not supposed to develop.

I agree about Romo's contributions, but HotDog is the most recognizable Viper pilot next to Lee and Kara (and they haven't done too much flying lately). I don't know about him being the second Latino in space, but he does happen to be Adama's real-life son; and we wouldn't want to piss-off papi chullo! ;)

Hot Dog and Romo are just plot devices, but of the two, I'd pick Hot Dog for a figure just because he's been around longer. Unless Romo came with a mini-cat-that'd be cool.

The Old Man is just a plot device too. All characters are. I do agree that Hotdog should get a Mate, Racetrack too. Hell I'd like to see everybody that has ever been on screen get a Mate. I just think with the line winding down we're just going to get essentials and Lampkin is easily more essential to the story than any of the pilots. A cat carrier would be a must have accessory... a pen would be cool too.

Ah, but I think the pilots (especially with the half-off flight suits) make for more visually interesting figures. I'm a Romo fan, but I think it's more likely to see one of the pilots made - I'll go for Hot Dog. Speaking of, I could go for an actual hot dog, too.

So... with all of the cool pictures from Toyfair coming in, I can't help but notice a distinct lack of BSG 'mates so far. I realize TF hasn't really started yet, but wouldn't it be grand?

I mentioned this in the actual thread. That sucks; am starting to get that churning stomach feeling. DST better not be shifting all attention to GB, GF, T2, and Mavrel. I'd hate to see this line go without our dreams coming true. :(

And i'm a Romo-mate fan. I want my

dead

cat, dammit!!

So... with all of the cool pictures from Toyfair coming in, I can't help but notice a distinct lack of BSG 'mates so far. I realize TF hasn't really started yet, but wouldn't it be grand?

It looks like they've got the Viper and Raider display up again this year. I hope it sparks more retailer interest than it did in the past.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/DSTminis1/image8.asp

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/DSTminis1/image3.asp

Ah, I love it when DST displays multiple lines together like that. It really shows off why minimates are so cool. I love it. It's just kind of sad that so far the only BSG stuff on display is in the mix, not individually, and that it is only classic stuff. I guess we still have a few days. Thanks for the links, Ivan.

It looks like they've got the Viper and Raider display up again this year. I hope it sparks more retailer interest than it did in the past.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/DSTminis1/image8.asp

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2009/DSTminis1/image3.asp

WHY Do they tease us!!!! :angry:

Apparently a couple of sources at DST have promised "something" at Toy Fair - maybe since the characters aren't "new" and this has been solicited in one form already, it got passed on some of the preview phot ops in favor of the really fresh stuff... I keep checking the Toy Fair coverage... best just to give it time, but I can tell you that Godfather is no substitute for those last BSG cylons

BSG Display

Hey, they've got a big Minimate poster at the bottom of the BSG display, what more could anybody want?

Five certain Cylons and three new remakes... <_<

Seriously, this has me upset. BSG was my second favorite license, and i was looking forward to something here. A poster and the old Raiders and Vipers aren't cutting it for me...

Seriously, this has me upset. BSG was my second favorite license, and i was looking forward to something here. A poster and the old Raiders and Vipers aren't cutting it for me...

I was hoping to see something more concrete but I'm not worried. I know the line isn't dead so just be patient. We'll see something.

I was hoping to see something more concrete but I'm not worried. I know the line isn't dead so just be patient. We'll see something.

I'd like to hope that DST didn't just outright lie to everyone - so perhaps the delays are related to some upcoming plot revelation

(like the identity of Daniel, the retired #7 cylon)

or another plot twist that's coming that they can't reveal until it airs or SciFi Channel gives it their blessing

or it could just be over....

the threadkiller strikes again!!

suck it beav....errr Rob.

:)

And i hope they don't make Kang.

;)

Seriously though, we won't be happy until we see something. DST specifically said "you will be getting your Five." I took that to be the truth, and we will wait until we hear otherwise.

And Cappin C, i agree with you. this may very well involve

Dan

, especially if something is revealed in the episodes to come. I'd be very excited if something like

an unboxing

occured, and decided did something involving this. But for now there is only one thing:

We will know the truth...