UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

Almost all Minimates are being Clearanced. I think BBTS is just making room for new inventory.

Buy, buy, buy!!!

Except for DC Minimates. :rolleyes:

Think they'll ever fill the orders for their Kat/Mortar 2 packs? :P

Okay, seriously. Is that New Caprica preorder banner from Stuckakid like a knife in the gut for anyone else? It is killing me.

Yes. I want to scream. But it's a good kind of scream. Like being killed by something so perfect you know you can never have it.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, BHM, but at 10/9 Central I plan on immediately posting as many spoilers as I can. I will ruin all of the mysteries: Who is(are) the final cylon(s)? Will they ever make it to Earth? Where is the Cylon homeworld? What's up with Starbuck? Where does the fleet get toilet paper?

As for the Stuckakid banner, I find myself logging in here just to see it, just to be teased by something I so desperately want but will probably never have. But it also gives me hope that at least maybe one online toy store is trying to keep interest up by wasting advertising space on a product that has apparently been cancelled. And when is DST going to make a statemet on this? At least a definitive acknowledgment would be nice.

Isn't it odd that DSTMatt has been lurking around here, and still nothing "offical" is said about these---i think nothing being said is just giving me false hope....

Well, if they almost exclusively post "good" news on their website, and he comes here and tends mostly to post when there is "good" news like a cool contest or new pics of figures, then. . .silence might not necessarily be a good thing.

I'm not begrudging the guy, I'm just saying.

But, we know the story at this point, do we not? Let it go, grasshopper.

Isn't it odd that DSTMatt has been lurking around here, and still nothing "offical" is said about these---i think nothing being said is just giving me false hope....

Well, if they almost exclusively post "good" news on their website, and he comes here and tends mostly to post when there is "good" news like a cool contest or new pics of figures, then. . .silence might not necessarily be a good thing.

I suspect that it's not Matt's place (within the company) to comment on cancellations, I'd expect at least 2-3 people to ask about BSG in the next Q&A over at AA's site, until then you're probably going to have to wait.

Having said that no one has come and said the rumors are total bunk, as they have on occasion in the past.

I'd wait til the Q&A and see what Chuck says.

T.

I suspect that it's not Matt's place (within the company) to comment on cancellations, I'd expect at least 2-3 people to ask about BSG in the next Q&A over at AA's site, until then you're probably going to have to wait.

Having said that no one has come and said the rumors are total bunk, as they have on occasion in the past.

I'd wait til the Q&A and see what Chuck says.

T.

No real need to. Just saw the lastest shipping update:

ALL BSG Minimates have been removed from the list. that is really, really depressing. :(

And yet DST is offering an "Exclusive Stealth Cylon" (6") at their booth at NYCC. :confused: While things appear bad for BSG 'mates, I am still going to naively believe that these will see production in some form or another (re-solicited or TRU, etc.). I will never throw-in the towel even if Chuck himself were to hold my hand and tell me they were dead. I must make a desperate plea to all who are going to NYCC and attending the Minimate panel to appeal to them and try to make a strong case for these seemingly doomed 'mates. If nothing else, at least get us some clear answers as to what is going on.

With all the hype and press the final 10 episodes of BSG are getting, I'd think it would be a great time to get out there and try to hit the market with these. All the NBC-owned channels are advertising and there are several specials and web-isodes and what-not. I would think that this is the time to strike, while the proverbial iron is hot, even if it meant re-soliciting the line.

Afterall, it seems that the BSG large figures are doing well... both of the TRU's around here have been cleaned out of the new figure assortment.

Curiously, MMHQ quotes an unnamed source that won't confirm cancellation, but say to keep an eye on the AA website - which may suggest that something is coming - maybe through TRU or re-hashed assortment or something... at least I'd like to think that's the case.

Edited by captain_cbecker

Maybe I'm changing my opinion on this, but I guess I'll be shocked if these don't show up one way or another. All we really know is that they cancelled waves 5 & 6 and the Caprica boxset. That doesn't really mean they've cancelled the figures, but maybe they're re-planning a more efficient way to release them. I just can't see them totally cancelling them. If anything, you can't tell me when they planned these waves that they weren't aware of the low sales on the other waves (if they really were low) and didn't figure that into the equation.

Maybe I'm changing my opinion on this, but I guess I'll be shocked if these don't show up one way or another. All we really know is that they cancelled waves 5 & 6 and the Caprica boxset. That doesn't really mean they've cancelled the figures, but maybe they're re-planning a more efficient way to release them. I just can't see them totally cancelling them. If anything, you can't tell me when they planned these waves that they weren't aware of the low sales on the other waves (if they really were low) and didn't figure that into the equation.

Sadest post in a long time, you sound like junkie who is trying to justify their next fix.... :mellow:

T.

I like all this positive thinking that is going on. After the hype we got around these waves, it would be a sin and a shame to completely cancel them. Maybe they will make it out somehow. In honor of the 4.5 premier tonight, I will keep faith that we will get, at the very least, the rest of the cylons.

Maybe a SciFi.com SDCC exclusive boxset with Doral, Simon, Cavil, Leoben and Tory? Yeah, that would rock.

No Anders? so you dont want all the cylons? :)

How about a box set containing nothing but a bunch of tissues (special BSG ones with the corners cut off) so all those too stubborn to admit it's dead have someting usefull when they come back to reality ;)

T.

Maybe a SciFi.com SDCC exclusive boxset with Doral, Simon, Cavil, Leoben and Tory? Yeah, that would rock.

How about a box set containing nothing but a bunch of tissues (special BSG ones with the corners cut off) so all those too stubborn to admit it's dead have someting usefull when they come back to reality ;)

T.

Always the optimist Timbo...touche. I dub thee "Optimist-Prime: Sir loin of snark"! I will be keeping my "BSG tissues" MIB (Thank-You very much), as I still truly believe that this show is an important part of Sci-Fi history that will be enjoyed for many years to come. Besides, those corner-cut tissues emblazoned with the Colonial crest will be worth a *mint!!

And "no", not a peppermint (beat ya' to it! :tongue: ); I'm talking Franklin. I know how your sneaky-snarky mind works! The saddest part is, I'd actually buy some of those tissues...cool idea. Quick, get Chuck on the horn! Oh wait, that's right...they're cancelling the line.

Edited by cdubya

Always the optimist Timbo...touche. I dub thee "Optimist-Prime: Sir loin of snark"! I will be keeping my "BSG tissues" MIB (Thank-You very much), as I still truly believe that this show is an important part of Sci-Fi history that will be enjoyed for many years to come. Besides, those corner-cut tissues emblazoned with the Colonial crest will be worth a *mint!!

And "no", not a peppermint (beat ya' to it! :tongue: ); I'm talking Franklin. I know how your sneaky-snarky mind works! The saddest part is, I'd actually buy some of those tissues...cool idea. Quick, get Chuck on the horn! Oh wait, that's right...they're cancelling the line.

I suspect realist would be a better fit ;)

Hey don't get me wrong I love the show as much as anyone, I wont get to see the episode tonight but will catchup with it asap.

What does surprise me is the contraryness ( did I just make up a word!) of having the just seen Wolverine movie minimates shot down for being too plain and uninteresting but the two cancelled waves of BSG that have the same issues plus IMO horrible likenesses are getting everyone in a tizzy cos they arent going to happen!

T.

I suspect realist would be a better fit ;)

Hey don't get me wrong I love the show as much as anyone, I wont get to see the episode tonight but will catchup with it asap.

What does surprise me is the contraryness ( did I just make up a word!) of having the just seen Wolverine movie minimates shot down for being too plain and uninteresting but the two cancelled waves of BSG that have the same issues plus IMO horrible likenesses are getting everyone in a tizzy cos they arent going to happen!

T.

I personally don't see any comparison between the two. It's not so much an issue of being "plain", but rather a matter of wrapping-up the line by releasing these crucial characters (aka: finish what you started); especially when they are sooo close to completion and exposure is at it's peak (aka: the iron doesn't get any hotter than this). Wolverine: Origins, while I'm sure that many are anticipating this movie and will love the 'mates, it's true "origin" stems from comic books which is where I genuinely believe the majority of our interests (and preconceived-notions of "essential") lie, hence the greater excitement for Series 27 (aka: Comic book heroes/villains in "street-clothes" are lack-luster). What's so puzzling about that? Besides, I think that the Terni-mater news is casting a pretty big shadow over the Wolvie stuff at the moment.

On a similar note, I can at this moment still find Marvel Moviemates (X-Men, Spiderman, well Hulk and IM are still relatively new...so I won't judge so harshly) on many of the largest on-line retailer's sites (some are even clearance- priced) and weren't these supposedly produced in smaller quantities than a general release such as BSG and Star Trek? My question is "if sales are an issue with the BSG 'mates, then why not simply lower the quantities produced to realistically meet expectations?" I realize that X-many need to be produced/sold to justify production, but perhaps the other lines could help to balance the bottom-line (I'm sure it's farrr more complicated than this, but I gotta try!). As much as I'd always love more, I honestly think that most of us would have an easier time "letting-go" if these last 2 waves could just be produced (revised box sets, exclusives, whatever); no-more, no-less.

BTW, this really isn't directed at you (I realize that I'm probably "preaching-to-the-choir") Timbo; just some thoughts that popped-into my head as I was replying to you.

Edited by cdubya

On a similar note, I can at this moment still find Marvel Moviemates (X-Men, Spiderman, well Hulk and IM are still relatively new...so I won't judge so harshly) on many of the largest on-line retailer's sites (some are even clearance- priced) and weren't these supposedly produced in smaller quantities than a general release such as BSG and Star Trek? My question is "if sales are an issue with the BSG 'mates, then why not simply lower the quantities produced to realistically meet expectations?" I realize that X-many need to be produced/sold to justify production, but perhaps the other lines could help to balance the bottom-line (I'm sure it's farrr more complicated than this, but I gotta try!). As much as I'd always love more, I honestly think that most of us would have an easier time "letting-go" if these last 2 waves could just be produced (revised box sets, exclusives, whatever); no-more, no-less.

I'm a little rusty on my Economics but wouldn't producing a smaller run of figures result in them having higher prices? When ordering a run of new Minimates you have to be able to cover the costs for the new molds, etc., and if you still want to be able to sell them at the right price the most feasible option would've been to produce LOTS of them and pray that they sell out very quickly.

I personally don't see any comparison between the two. It's not so much an issue of being "plain", but rather a matter of wrapping-up the line by releasing these crucial characters (aka: finish what you started); especially when they are sooo close to completion and exposure is at it's peak (aka: the iron doesn't get any hotter than this). Wolverine: Origins, while I'm sure that many are anticipating this movie and will love the 'mates, takes it's true "origin" from comic books which is where I genuinely believe the majority of our interests lie, hence the greater excitement for Series 27 (aka: Comic book heroes/villains in "street-clothes" are lack-luster). What's so puzzling about that?

BTW, this really isn't directed at you (I realize that I'm probably "preaching-to-the-choir") Timbo; just some thoughts that popped-into my head as I was replying to you.

No Worries you should know by now that I seldom take any comments here personally and have skin that's pretty think.

The comparison is that these last two BSG waves were pretty uninteresting characters to look at, no matter how you sugarcoat it they are not the sort of thing that will attract casual buyers.

Firstly how many toy lines do finish off completely and give you every character? I can answer it for you... they don't, they stop when the demand is no longer there. LotR was the perfect example, I would have loved to have seen the 3rd wave especially as it had some great characters BUT it was no longer selling.

The idea that they would round out the BSG line is all well and good but misses the fact they weren't selling, most of the previous wave is heavily discounted so that implies these sold to stores but not to end consumers. so the stores aren't buying this time, once bitten and all that.

As I've already said DSThave been doing this long enough to know where the pre-sales need to be to make these worth producing and they aren't matching those numbers. lower volumes means higher cost per unit to DST so yes there is a logical cut off point for production so just running off lower numbers isn't the answer either.

I'm not sure what you think is going on but you're making it sound like DST said, yeah lets screw with em and show em a wave and then not produce it just to screw em over... they are in the business of making toys and a living.

T.

Well, I'm late to the party and just finding this out today. As you mention, interest for BSG is pretty high now, but by the time these were coming out the series probably would have been wrapped up. Still it would have been nice to get the New Caprica set when it was originally planned. That timing would have been good.

I was really looking forward to these, but I can understand that orders were too low to justify production. I don't care for DST's lack of announcing these things though. They use their site to announce and show things off all the time, but cancellations are just swept under the rug or given to the retailers to distribute as they see fit.

It would be nice if they would just change the assortments up so we could get boxed sets of a few of these. I'm sure there would still be disagreement on which are most essential, but the ones I'd like to see are:

New Caprica Starbuck

Sam Anders

Tory Foster

Natalie

Athena

Romo

Hot Dog

President Adama

I'll have to ask about the feasibility of this in the next Q&A for MiniMates.

I can make an Anders with one of the twelve flightsuited characters we already have...

Brutal, man. Brutal... Maybe some pink hair ribbons with the corners cut off since we're crying like little girls... :tongue:

I personally don't see any comparison between the two. It's not so much an issue of being "plain", but rather a matter of wrapping-up the line by releasing these crucial characters (aka: finish what you started); especially when they are sooo close to completion and exposure is at it's peak (aka: the iron doesn't get any hotter than this). Wolverine: Origins, while I'm sure that many are anticipating this movie and will love the 'mates, takes it's true "origin" from comic books which is where I genuinely believe the majority of our interests lie, hence the greater excitement for Series 27 (aka: Comic book heroes/villains in "street-clothes" are lack-luster). What's so puzzling about that?

No Worries you should know by now that I seldom take any comments here personally and have skin that's pretty think.

The comparison is that these last two BSG waves were pretty uninteresting characters to look at, no matter how you sugarcoat it they are not the sort of thing that will attract casual buyers.

Firstly how many toy lines do finish off completely and give you every character? I can answer it for you... they don't, they stop when the demand is no longer there. LotR was the perfect example, I would have loved to have seen the 3rd wave especially as it had some great characters BUT it was no longer selling.

The idea that they would round out the BSG line is all well and good but misses the fact they weren't selling, most of the previous wave is heavily discounted so that implies these sold to stores but not to end consumers. so the stores aren't buying this time, once bitten and all that.

As I've already said DSThave been doing this long enough to know where the pre-sales need to be to make these worth producing and they aren't matching those numbers. lower volumes means higher cost per unit to DST so yes there is a logical cut off point for production so just running off lower numbers isn't the answer either.

I'm not sure what you think is going on but you're making it sound like DST said, yeah lets screw with em and show em a wave and then not produce it just to screw em over... they are in the business of making toys and a living.

T.

No, no, no, I would never insinuate that those were the intentions of DST (or any of their vendors). It goes without saying that they are in business to make money and it is painfully-obvious that numbers simply aren't there (though I believe the #s truly could be there, they just aren't being effectively reached. These aren't for "casual-buyers", they're for fans.). I think this is what I have such a hard time wrapping my head around, that the numbers aren't there! Yet they were for BTTF and DSS, how were those any more interesting (no offense to anyone. I liked these 'mates too)? I suppose the answer will come in 10-20 years if or when this show has more of a supportive cult-following. There's just no accounting for taste.