UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is purely a format problem, but the trick is to convince someone to release a set that sells well in the wake of one decent-selling and three underperforming sets. I have ideas, we have designs and sculpts, but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DSTZach said:

... but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

So they're considering a Skystriker. Excellent idea Zach!

I'm not a Marvel guy. Have to get my rampant speculation and wild inferences in somewhere. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I think it is purely a format problem, but the trick is to convince someone to release a set that sells well in the wake of one decent-selling and three underperforming sets. I have ideas, we have designs and sculpts, but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

Well I will be supporting when and if they see the light of day. For what it is worth I really loved the homage done to the original toys. I pretty much never keep things packaged but I loved the nostalgia so much that I bought an extra set of both in order to have a packaged set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i loved the packaging BUT i found it wasteful since i intended to open the set.  making it resealable would have made it even more costly.  i would have done it as a con exclusive instead of regular release.  the VHS packaging i think really pops though!  or what the TMNT did.  i can put them back in or just save the box for the heck of it b/c it looks good on its own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2024 at 8:48 AM, nandoninny said:

i loved the packaging BUT i found it wasteful since i intended to open the set.  making it resealable would have made it even more costly.  i would have done it as a con exclusive instead of regular release.  the VHS packaging i think really pops though!  or what the TMNT did.  i can put them back in or just save the box for the heck of it b/c it looks good on its own.

This is a good idea.

 

And try to partner with Hasbro if you can, and still, talk to HISS Tank forums. I can get you in touch with folks there, too.

 

But genuinely, maybe getting a set with army builders built in.

 

Flint, Lady Jaye, Zartan, Cobra Trooper (with a torso and a head for a female conversion).

 

Shipwreck, Spirit, Firefy and a Cobra Viper

 

Tomax, Xamot, a Crimson Guard and Stalker.

 

Dusty, Gung-Ho, Dr. Mindbender and a BAT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have stated that I want to abandon the carded format, due to cost to consumers. The double dip by in-package collectors is not making up for lost sales.

We partner with Hasbro. They don't actively promote licensee products, but we are actively trying to get product carried on Pulse. They don't take everything.

I am not on the HISS tank forums, but they are on my mailing list for news and I think I debuted at least one item there. (Maybe a Gallery.)

And if we put army-builders in character sets, it will not be well-received. No one wants five Major Bludds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, DSTZach said:

I have stated that I want to abandon the carded format, due to cost to consumers. The double dip by in-package collectors is not making up for lost sales.

We partner with Hasbro. They don't actively promote licensee products, but we are actively trying to get product carried on Pulse. They don't take everything.

I am not on the HISS tank forums, but they are on my mailing list for news and I think I debuted at least one item there. (Maybe a Gallery.)

And if we put army-builders in character sets, it will not be well-received. No one wants five Major Bludds.

Agreed; that said, it seems to be how Hasbro/Kenner/McFarlane/etc. get a lot of extra orders. /I agree with you,/ but it seems to get results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, an army builder 4 pack is really what I hear people talk about. Whether it’s two joes and two cobras or three cobras and a joe if an all cobra pack isn’t an option. This always makes me appreciate the work and care of the MAX line. That 4 pack with Kate and the others took the multiple purchase cake until the StrikeForce wave came out. Fingers crossed that we get something that sells like hot cakes. Know that crowd funding isn’t a preferred way forward for this but I would be on the hook minimum for 8 packs as my addiction likes 7 of every army builder whilst my boy scout side likes to keep one mint in box. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we're talking army builders, I would be afraid to actually say the number of sets I'm probably buying. It's obscene though. For non army builder sets I always get 4 or more. 1 Mint on Card, 1 opened unchanged displayed, 2 to play with/custom/parts swap etc...

I hate that I feel like at this point any real chance of future sets are dead but I do. Too much time is passing and too little positive conversation towards how it might work. I am afraid they just don't see it as profitable. 

It just feels like such a shame because I feel like the biggest problem never was the property itself. People still dig GI Joe stuff enough to sell. Its the presentation. Repacking the same few characters slightly different hurt more than helped in the beginning and no troops hurts even more. The packaging also increased costs initially which didn't help either. I feel like they were adjusting the packaging but I don't think they have ever truly considered embracing the troop selection. Maybe I'm wrong but I just feel strongly that GI Joe needs those nameless faceless thugs just as much as TMNT needs Foot, Battlestar Galactica needs Cylons, Aliens needs, well, Aliens....I mean no one would feel great about their Marvel collections without some AIM, Hydra, SHIELD, Hellfire, etc..

Oh well, maybe after Luke starts knocking out the DC custom sticker sets he can consider some GI Joe ones. I think there might be some interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...