UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe Minimates!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is purely a format problem, but the trick is to convince someone to release a set that sells well in the wake of one decent-selling and three underperforming sets. I have ideas, we have designs and sculpts, but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, DSTZach said:

... but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

So they're considering a Skystriker. Excellent idea Zach!

I'm not a Marvel guy. Have to get my rampant speculation and wild inferences in somewhere. LOL

16 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I think it is purely a format problem, but the trick is to convince someone to release a set that sells well in the wake of one decent-selling and three underperforming sets. I have ideas, we have designs and sculpts, but not sure any will take flight. We'll see. 

Well I will be supporting when and if they see the light of day. For what it is worth I really loved the homage done to the original toys. I pretty much never keep things packaged but I loved the nostalgia so much that I bought an extra set of both in order to have a packaged set.

i loved the packaging BUT i found it wasteful since i intended to open the set.  making it resealable would have made it even more costly.  i would have done it as a con exclusive instead of regular release.  the VHS packaging i think really pops though!  or what the TMNT did.  i can put them back in or just save the box for the heck of it b/c it looks good on its own.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:48 AM, nandoninny said:

i loved the packaging BUT i found it wasteful since i intended to open the set.  making it resealable would have made it even more costly.  i would have done it as a con exclusive instead of regular release.  the VHS packaging i think really pops though!  or what the TMNT did.  i can put them back in or just save the box for the heck of it b/c it looks good on its own.

This is a good idea.

And try to partner with Hasbro if you can, and still, talk to HISS Tank forums. I can get you in touch with folks there, too.

But genuinely, maybe getting a set with army builders built in.

Flint, Lady Jaye, Zartan, Cobra Trooper (with a torso and a head for a female conversion).

Shipwreck, Spirit, Firefy and a Cobra Viper

Tomax, Xamot, a Crimson Guard and Stalker.

Dusty, Gung-Ho, Dr. Mindbender and a BAT.

I have stated that I want to abandon the carded format, due to cost to consumers. The double dip by in-package collectors is not making up for lost sales.

We partner with Hasbro. They don't actively promote licensee products, but we are actively trying to get product carried on Pulse. They don't take everything.

I am not on the HISS tank forums, but they are on my mailing list for news and I think I debuted at least one item there. (Maybe a Gallery.)

And if we put army-builders in character sets, it will not be well-received. No one wants five Major Bludds.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, DSTZach said:

I have stated that I want to abandon the carded format, due to cost to consumers. The double dip by in-package collectors is not making up for lost sales.

We partner with Hasbro. They don't actively promote licensee products, but we are actively trying to get product carried on Pulse. They don't take everything.

I am not on the HISS tank forums, but they are on my mailing list for news and I think I debuted at least one item there. (Maybe a Gallery.)

And if we put army-builders in character sets, it will not be well-received. No one wants five Major Bludds.

Agreed; that said, it seems to be how Hasbro/Kenner/McFarlane/etc. get a lot of extra orders. /I agree with you,/ but it seems to get results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, an army builder 4 pack is really what I hear people talk about. Whether it’s two joes and two cobras or three cobras and a joe if an all cobra pack isn’t an option. This always makes me appreciate the work and care of the MAX line. That 4 pack with Kate and the others took the multiple purchase cake until the StrikeForce wave came out. Fingers crossed that we get something that sells like hot cakes. Know that crowd funding isn’t a preferred way forward for this but I would be on the hook minimum for 8 packs as my addiction likes 7 of every army builder whilst my boy scout side likes to keep one mint in box. 

If we're talking army builders, I would be afraid to actually say the number of sets I'm probably buying. It's obscene though. For non army builder sets I always get 4 or more. 1 Mint on Card, 1 opened unchanged displayed, 2 to play with/custom/parts swap etc...

I hate that I feel like at this point any real chance of future sets are dead but I do. Too much time is passing and too little positive conversation towards how it might work. I am afraid they just don't see it as profitable. 

It just feels like such a shame because I feel like the biggest problem never was the property itself. People still dig GI Joe stuff enough to sell. Its the presentation. Repacking the same few characters slightly different hurt more than helped in the beginning and no troops hurts even more. The packaging also increased costs initially which didn't help either. I feel like they were adjusting the packaging but I don't think they have ever truly considered embracing the troop selection. Maybe I'm wrong but I just feel strongly that GI Joe needs those nameless faceless thugs just as much as TMNT needs Foot, Battlestar Galactica needs Cylons, Aliens needs, well, Aliens....I mean no one would feel great about their Marvel collections without some AIM, Hydra, SHIELD, Hellfire, etc..

Oh well, maybe after Luke starts knocking out the DC custom sticker sets he can consider some GI Joe ones. I think there might be some interest.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been about a month now. Any update on these Zach? I wish you could get these in to Target (are they completely against Minimates)? They would look great next to the G.I. Joe Classified figures.

10 hours ago, nandoninny said:

I broke and bought a classified.    😢

tiger force outback was too cool to pass up.  Was really sure I’d have him as a Minimate someday……….i’ll keep hoping

He was super easy to make, if that makes you feel any better.

22 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

It has been about a month now. Any update on these Zach? I wish you could get these in to Target (are they completely against Minimates)? They would look great next to the G.I. Joe Classified figures.

A month since what? Nothing has changed. 

This is disappointing. It feels like every time there’s a Minimates line based on an IP I like it just fizzles out instantly (Still bitter about Sonic and KH). I skipped the Cobra set because it just didn’t feel like it was worth it.

Anyone got custom recipes? I want a Flint and Beachhead the most but getting to boost the ranks of either side would be nice. 

Edited by Smashmaster12

On 4/21/2024 at 3:36 PM, Smashmaster12 said:

This is disappointing. It feels like every time there’s a Minimates line based on an IP I like it just fizzles out instantly (Still bitter about Sonic and KH). I skipped the Cobra set because it just didn’t feel like it was worth it.

Anyone got custom recipes? I want a Flint and Beachhead the most but getting to boost the ranks of either side would be nice. 

As always, I have to stress that I don't fit into many if any Minimate demographic ....I also respect your opinion & I agree that Sonic & KH ended very abruptly .  I'm not big into Sonic but I was  also surprised that we never got at least another box-set, not my 'stuff' but they worked as Minimates, I liked them.

Kingdom Hearts Minimates ? I have to be honest ,I just don't think they worked on any level . Sorry!

Regards the 'fizzling' I can categorically state that many of the 'fizzled licence' Minimates have become outrageously expensive on the secondary market , Invincibles, Mass Effect &  Plants & Zombies (maybe?)  immediately come to mind.   

Unfortunately 'Kingdom Hearts'  aren't in that group :mellow:

I haven't mentioned GI Joe , I really hope that the license can get into a bit of a stride . I'll leave it at that.

Edited by buttheadsmate

8 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Regards the 'fizzling' I can categorically state that many of the 'fizzled licence' Minimates have become outrageously expensive on the secondary market , Invincibles, Mass Effect &  Plants & Zombies (maybe?)  immediately come to mind.

It's crazy how the Invincible 4-pack has shot up in value. That and the releases for the Sergio Leone films are pretty glaring omissions in my collection.

Well, I think that’s the issue. If fans of a license and fans of a toyline aren’t willing to buy the figures at full price that sends a message that there isn’t interest. Hopefully something shifts for this line. I firmly believe  that an army builder pack would sell out and drive interest in this line.

Even a box set like turtles where it’s 5 figures. Off the top of my head. 

a BAT

a Crimson Guard

a twin with parts for the other. 

a Joe like clutch/rock n roll that can easily convert into another character

Zartan with multiple heads and or shape changer parts. 

I am going to keep on hoping the line continues but I am not a good judge since I still hope that somehow LOTR resurrects and I finally get that canceled wave of figures. 

I just feel dumbfounded that the line has stalled so quickly. Out of all the IPs out there not named Marvel or DC I would have thought this would have been the best fit. Crazy to think how many waves of Ghostbusters we got compared to GI Joe. Only thing I can think of is over saturation of the market killed the demand. I mean there’s Classified, Reaction, Ultimates, Mezco One:12 and Hiya. There may be even more that I am not aware of.