UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic-Con 2015 Exclusives Speculation

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they ever get that new MOTU movie made, and DST somehow manages to acquires the rights for Minimates, then maybe I might get interested in this property. But from what I've seen lately...

sWXZxH4.gif

Still no yay shots I see

Yeah. Gimme some yay shots!

"Hey, gang! Remember those shitty action figures we settled for as kids? Well here are some equally shitty toys to go right along side them!"

I've always said nostalgia is a powerful drug, and while I understand the appeal of the 5POA, retro-Kenner figures, it doesn't keep me from recalling how much I wished my action figures had more play value, more articulation, better paint apps, etc. And over time that's what I've gotten... until recently.

As much as I might have jumped at the chance to own 3 3/4" Alien figures to go with my 5POA Star Wars figures back in the day, I expect much more in 2015.

I'm not against this style of toys per se, but I don't get the appeal for characters from different eras. If they want to do mid-80s characters that never had toys originally, like Goonies or Terminator, make them look like figures from the mid-80s. Jaws makes perfect sense as a Star Wars/Alien prototype styled toy, though. I even get the MUSCLE He-Man figures, since they were more or less from the same time period, and it's possible we would have seen those figures in that format. But since I'm not a kid of the '70s, I'm probably not going to get it, and I'm not the target demographic I'm sure. If we saw Man with No Name or Godfather or Jaws figures that looked like mid-80s GI Joes, I would probably be strongly compelled to buy!

I like that they all have the same sort of style as each other, although some look decidedly un-retro and it seems like an excuse to just make a cheap toy.

But they are inexpensive (generally) and I would have loved being able to team Ripley, Jack Burton and the T800 together to take down Bruce the shark and Skeletor when I was a kid.