UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problem finding the TMNT 'mates at three different Kmart stores. Not so with TRU.

That said, the blind bags made it impossible for me to find the one I was looking for. Once I managed to find a TRU that stocked them, I didn't have that problem.

I wonder why Kmart would pass on these. It's not like DST is still awaiting payment.

I can't tell if you're serious...

Completely serious. I had no issues completing a set of the K-Mart wave in addition to helping a friend complete a set AND finding extras of Mutagen Mikey and Kraang. The hard part was figuring out which part of the store each K-Mart put their strip in. Once I found the strip it was easy between using the breakdown someone released on here and feeling up these bags to make sure it's who I thought it was.

My local Toys R Us stocked TRU Series 1 two times. I checked three different Toys R Us stores overall and never found a single Mutagen Leo.

In conclusion, I'm kinda sad that there's not going to be a Series 2 at K-Mart.

Edited by MisterMiracle

Theft is probably going to be cited somewhere down the road. If two figures are stolen from 1,000 different Kmarts that's an initial $9980 sales loss.

A retailer with a 1% profit margin has to sell $500 in merchandise to cover one $5 stolen item. Sears Holdings is currently at a profit margin of around -1.96%.

Even Walmart's 3.77% margin isn't that sound. They'd have to be at 10% to limit their liability of one stolen $5 pack to $50.

It's a wonder retailers even leave hundreds of Ponies and Minions bags laying around. I'd lockbox them, tape barcodes to the register, and not let the bags see the light of day until they're paid for.

Anyway.

The Mutagen set is nice, but the green used makes them look a lot more like ghost turtles.

The closest I've seen to a Nick-style mutagen figure is the pearlescent translucent aqua Rift Breaker that Glyos made. A Turtles box set in that style would just be... awesome.

xqmlna.jpg

I had a slightly different experience with the Turtles. I saw them at K-Mart once (No idea if they were ever restocked as it was many months later that I was in the same store again and found one tossed on a shelf) I was lucky enough that the one time I found them at k-mart, they were all there. It doesn't help that I only have 2 K-Mart stores near me and both are a 30 minute one way drive to get to them

As for TRU, I saw them at two different TRU's once each store. I missed Leo the first time, but was able to grab him the second time. It's helpful that there is one TRU in my town, one 30 minutes away and a 3rd about an hour away

Then Comic stores, I have about 4 comic stores in a 30-40 minute radius from me and only one even got the Minimates in (Most don't even bother with Minimates anymore sadly) and the box they had was already picked through. If it wasn't for Luke's, I wouldn't have the Muta Raph figure

Personally, I won't be shedding any tears if K-Mart doesn't get another wave. I lucked into finding a complete, unmolested strip after these were first sighted. I have 2 each of the K-Mart exclusives (Mutagen Mikey and Krang) but only because I got one of each that first trip to the store and the second ones from paying way too much on ebay. If K-Mart does get wave 2 then I hope they don't get an exclusive but we know they probably won't take wave 2 without one. I know others have had an easier time finding these at K-Mart than other retailers and I appreciate that, but for me its just not a good option.

I also never saw these at TRU, aside from a single regular Leo pack tossed on a shelf in the TMNT section. Never saw pegs for them, never saw where they were stocked, never saw them ON pegs. I shudder to think about trying to track down the Wave 2 exclusives as I have a case preordered online. If I had to rely on brick and mortar stores to get these I'd be paying inflated aftermarket prices to get them from ebay.

But I AM looking forward to future waves, albeit with some minor trepidation.

My sympathies to those who enjoyed or were successful searching at Kmart, but I don't have one anywhere near me, and the few times I stopped at one when I was out of the area I never saw even a trace of them. So hearing that they won't be getting anything exclusive is welcome news to me.

SPOILER (FOR COMICS)

Donnetello died in the newest issue from Bebop and Rocksteady (the bashed his shell in with a sledgehammer)

Sorry don't know how to create a spoiler tag

Edited by Gmonkey2k

Spoiler alert!!

Did y'all catch Sunday's hour-long episode?? I'm excited for the possibility of minimates!! :)

Thankfully, that's not a spoiler, but that's not a warning, either. :P Use the spoiler tags:

See? ;)

LOL. I agree -- which is why I didn't use the actual hidden spoiler tag thing. :)

SPOILER (FOR COMICS)

that seemed largely unneeded since this thread is not about the comics and hitting enter five times hardly hides a major spoiler for someone who might want to read that comic AND an unrelated thread about toys from the TV show. (I mean, am I the ONLY person who reads threads backwards sometimes? Starting from the newest until I get to the last post I read? Guess what isn’t hidden when you scroll up instead of down... THAT SPOILER!)

Also, maybe don’t post a spoiler if you don’t know how to use spoiler tags

Also WHO CARES, comics based on licensed properties are fanfics. Image Comics already shattered Donatello’s shell and made him a cyborg like what, 20 years ago now? And it how ZERO impact on the real cannon. Oooooh, IDW killed Donatello... if this was a cannon death Nick would have done it in the show watched by millions, not in a comic read by hundreds.

Quick spoiler tag lesson bro

[ spoiler ] to start it. (remove the spaces) [ / spoiler ] to end it.

As for the thing,

To me it's the same as Peter Parker's death in the Ultimate Universe. Not huge in the long run, but for those who love the comic, a real punch in the gut. And the fact that they didn't do huge "DEATH OF DONATELLO" promotion before it really helped make it more jarring. It was as if they actually wanted, get this, a plot twist! THAT PEOPLE WOULDN'T SEE COMING! WHAAAAAAAA!? In comics! Scandal. Anyway so to those who asked "who cares?" the answer is "I care." Because I really liked Donatello and really like that comic.

Also this is fanfic that Eastman is co-creating. So it's like a Spider-Man fanfic written by Stan Lee. Kinda hard to dispute the validity of something like that. It's Ultimate TMNT and, honestly, the best TMNT continuity I've ever seen. (Though I haven't seen the Nick cartoon yet.)

The Nickelodeon show is canon? Does that mean the old Mirage comics and previous cartoon aren't?

Use 'Ninja Turtles Forever' logic. Current cartoon is always the 616 of turtles, 80's is the golden age versions they will met in time/space hoping adventure, Mirage is universe Prime, all other cannons are shown in portals as 'other worlds' most of their contributions (Venus, Cyborg-Don) lost to time, others (Razhar) might be worked into the new cannon with no regard for original

Quick spoiler tag lesson bro

As for the thing,

the 'death of Donatello' smacks me of wanting their cake and eating it too... There's no way he's staying dead, if three years from now he's still dead having not come back once, I'll formally apologize for characterizing the book this way but:

It seems like a move to be all 'this ain't no 80's turtles! Bebop and Rockstesdy are murderous thugs now! Not goofs who screw up everything! They KILL turtles!" Which would be great if death was as final in comics as it was in real life, as soon as Donnie's alive again in any form his death is meaningless. It wants to have the emotional weight of 'no one is safe' but gets to backtrack with 'but we can magic him back so the status is still quo!" Even if he shows up as a ghost/vision/computer program it's cheating since that doesn't happen in real life, if someone suddenly and tragically dies you're left with memories, they don't leave a jump drive you can upload to Metalhead and basically have your buddy back so you can say good bye after one last adventure, you don't get to dimension hope and bring the Archie verse version of your friend into your current life to have some version of him around... He's just dead

I know this is a problem with comics in general not just this version of the turtles, but this is why I say "who cares" to Donatello dying in an authorized fanfic.