UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men: Days of Future Past (aka XM:FC Part Deux)

Lurch77

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care as long as it is a good movie. I'm still not in a forgiving mood towards Fox after the abominations known as X3 and Wolvie: Origins. First Class was. . .first class movie-making, though.

I don't care as long as it is a good movie. I'm still not in a forgiving mood towards Fox after the abominations known as X3 and Wolvie: Origins. First Class was. . .first class movie-making, though.

My thoughts exactly. (Except after X3, my expectations were so incredibly low that I didn't think Wolverine was as bad as it probably it was.)

First Class caught me very much by surprise. I actually didn't like the idea of newish comic charcters being in it and while I didnt like the bug wing girl the movie on a whole was great. So I'm willing to go into this with high hopes my only concern being the multiple timelines of the story confusing non comic savvy fans.

ok im pretty sure they said last year that they wanted to do X-men 4 and 5 with days of future past, that way they could jump forward and show a slew of new characters while not having to worry about some of the consequences of the first films...still i dont mind either way, especially if they fit cable in ;)

Ya'know... I've said before... on other forums. First Class wasn't a bad movie. Better than I expected it to be, certainly. I won't call it a bad movie... I saw it, I enjoyed it, I bought the minimates. lol..

But I do think it's a bad X-Men movie, if you understand my meaning. It's not the movie I want, as a hardcore X-Men fan. And I don't think that movie will ever come as long as fox keeps stringing the license along.

People always piss and moan when a fanboy doesn't like his comic book movie for being different, which I think is BS, because NO things don't HAVE to be different. They say "If they didn't change things why would anyone see it? It would be the same old story" and that's bull if you ask me, because you have franchises like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, which PROVE you can make a mostly faithful adaptation, which sticks closely to the source material, the same story, with the same ending, and still have a compelling film franchise that EVERYONE wants to see and which makes BILLIONS of dollars. Things don't need to be changed to be "Adapted" People see them to see their favorite characters come to life, not to see barely recognizable versions of them...

And if they HAD made HUGE and DRASTIC changes to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, their fans would have complained up a complete and utter CRAPSTORM! And would have had every right to do so. So I don't like when comic book fans catch extra crap when we're bothered about movies altering the source material, but every other type of fanboy out there coasts along without issue. It's bull.

But that's neither here nor there I suppose.

I guess where I'm going with this is, while I don't dislike First Class... eh... there are things about it I can't get past, and never will as a hardcore X-Men fan.

That said I find it hard to get excited about a sequel.

I had pretty mixed feelings about X3 (my main beef with the movie was Nightcrawler not being in it) and I enjoyed Origins a lot (I wasn't expecting stellar storytelling, I was expecting a fun, popcorn movie, and that was exactly what I got). I wasn't sure what to expect with First Class, but it delivered both good storytelling and fun, IMO.

Ya'know... I've said before... on other forums. First Class wasn't a bad movie. Better than I expected it to be, certainly. I won't call it a bad movie... I saw it, I enjoyed it, I bought the minimates. lol..

But I do think it's a bad X-Men movie, if you understand my meaning. It's not the movie I want, as a hardcore X-Men fan. And I don't think that movie will ever come as long as fox keeps stringing the license along.

People always piss and moan when a fanboy doesn't like his comic book movie for being different, which I think is BS, because NO things don't HAVE to be different. They say "If they didn't change things why would anyone see it? It would be the same old story" and that's bull if you ask me, because you have franchises like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, which PROVE you can make a mostly faithful adaptation, which sticks closely to the source material, the same story, with the same ending, and still have a compelling film franchise that EVERYONE wants to see and which makes BILLIONS of dollars. Things don't need to be changed to be "Adapted" People see them to see their favorite characters come to life, not to see barely recognizable versions of them...

And if they HAD made HUGE and DRASTIC changes to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, their fans would have complained up a complete and utter CRAPSTORM! And would have had every right to do so. So I don't like when comic book fans catch extra crap when we're bothered about movies altering the source material, but every other type of fanboy out there coasts along without issue. It's bull.

But that's neither here nor there I suppose.

I guess where I'm going with this is, while I don't dislike First Class... eh... there are things about it I can't get past, and never will as a hardcore X-Men fan.

That said I find it hard to get excited about a sequel.

This is exactly why I'm dreading "The Amazing Spider-Man."

I hear what Gillbob is saying, and my feelings are similar in the sense that I think First Class was the best film based on a comic property to come out last year, but that it was not the best "comic movie" I saw, as it took so many liberties with the franchise. But there is room for something like that in the comic film world. We've got extremely faithful adaptations (Watchmen), loose, interpretive fare (First Class and really the X-Men franchise in general), and a lot in-between. I think X2 was the best film in the X-Men franchise because it best straddled the line between being a good movie and a great adaptation of the story and characters I knew from the comics. And hopefully when/if they revisit the modern X-Men, we'll get something more in that spirit. But I will say that I personally don't want a strict adaptation of the comic. I want stories to take some liberties, or I don't feel that I'm getting a particularly rich, and new experience. A good example is DC's animated Batman: Year One. I got to see the comic come to life, and so the pictures were moving, but. . .that was about it. I had already been there and done that, and actually have much more appreciation for something like Superman/Doomsday, which took the essence of the original story, but did a lot of new, creative things with it, giving me a new experience. Had First Class simply focused on the original team instead of the hodgepodge they ended up with, but kept the story essentially the same, I think I would have appreciated it even more than I did.

Just make a good movie. That's all I want.

And Wolverine really didn't suck until the really, really bad third act. Too many cameos, and too much overkill in the final threat.

• 1 month later...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/01/x-men-first-class-sequel-bryan-singer-confirms-days-of-future-past

Sweet tapioca pudding cups! This has me very excited. Because it says one thing to me: SENTINELS. Can't TRULY have DOFP without them so... SENTINELS. :D

& sentinals mean new sentinal army building minimates!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/01/x-men-first-class-sequel-bryan-singer-confirms-days-of-future-past

Sweet tapioca pudding cups! This has me very excited. Because it says one thing to me: SENTINELS. Can't TRULY have DOFP without them so... SENTINELS. :D

& sentinals mean new sentinal army building minimates!

Both things to be excited for!

And if they HAD made HUGE and DRASTIC changes to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, their fans would have complained up a complete and utter CRAPSTORM!

I know what you mean but the big difference is that those stories each had ONE author while X-Men has had many.

That said, I really don't expect this to be a strict adaptation of DOFP, especially with Singer involved. He's a notorious cherry-picker when it comes to source material. That's not always a bad thing (X-Men) but it can be (Superman Returns).

I like First Class and was surprised by it as for me it has no real ties to any comic series which even the X-men movies did touch base on. I'm happy to get a sequel and I think the selling point for me will prob getting some Sentinals on the big screen and not just the hint we have had before.

That all said I cant stand DOFP as a comic story. I know loads of ppl love it but not me I just find the time travel stuff in X-men to over used.

• 3 months later...