UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Avengers Box Sets

DSTZach

If you've ever read it, then you'll know that Jim Shooter's writing for her is just awful. She comes off as a flighty bubblehead

Wasn't she a ditzy socialite in the original Lee/Kirby books?

Most female characters were like that in 1960s comics. Just a sign of the times, I guess. :/

Edit: I'm not saying it was right or defensible, only that that's how it was (just to clarify).

Edited by MinnesotaIceman

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've ever read it, then you'll know that Jim Shooter's writing for her is just awful. She comes off as a flighty bubblehead

Wasn't she a ditzy socialite in the original Lee/Kirby books?

Most female characters were like that in 1960s comics. Just a sign of the times, I guess. :/

Edit: I'm not saying it was right or defensible, only that that's how it was (just to clarify).

She was... but what I'm talking about is Secret Wars, from the 1980's. In the first issue, all the characters introduce themselves to each other (which is pretty dumb, if you think about it), and the Wasp begins with (I'm going from memory, but this is pretty accurate): "Everybody knows us, because we're the Avengers, and we're famous!" Later, in either this issue or the second, they're talking about choosing a leader, and they're deciding between Cap and... well, really just Cap. And the Wasp pipes in "even though I'm the chairman of the Avengers, I'll defer to Cap!" or something like that, and I remember thinking "nobody asked you, Wasp!":verymad:

Sigh. It was just Shooter's writing. 'Twas not very good. It made me never want to see the character again.

How about a tiny Eric O'Grady with a female SHIELD Agent?

These should eventually be in Disney Stores as well.
Thanks for the heads up Zach! Can you tell us if a super miniature version of Ant Man has ever been talked about? ...either on an arrow or as a shoulder ornament or something? Silver surfer turn out so cool on galactus.

Thanks

Not sure it's ever been talked about, but Ask DST. Trick now is finding an Avenger we haven't done to death to package a tiny Ant-Man with. And have we not done a Wasp like that?

I don't think AA/DST have ever done either like that. But Wasp IS a character from the Avengers that hasn't been done to death. I know she's probably not a priority right now due to her not appearing in any current comics, but a Modern Wasp would be a great figure & a tiny Ant-Man accessory would be quite the cherry.

EDIT: Apologies to anyone offended by re-releases of characters, but i always liked the Black & Yellow design for Wasp & it's one character i wouldn't mind seeing again.

Black and Yellow Wasp is ABSOLUTELY my favorite design for the character. A mini-Scott Lang would be great here, and hopefully we could find a way to work in a waist extender and give her a Giant Woman option, too, even though that only happened once or twice, I think. Heck, you could variant her and include ionically overclocked Jan from Secret Invasion.

Oh, and if we're talking about a mini- Scott Lang? Only one choice: Stature.

^This^

Cool idea but it really makes no sense; they've never been active concurrently.

Stature and scott have been active concurrently, recently in childrens crusade (amazing book) kang/ironlad helped(accidently) cassie save her father, they both fought doom together in a giant epic fight

Zach, I wasn't joking man. While Wasp may not have the sales to hold a TTA set by herself, we desperately need a new Wasp. Or 3. Really the only suggestion I've rolled my eyes at thus far is Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter. While I wouldn't mind an Arachne, we should get Mattie Franklin. :P

Toy Biz Marvel Legends Hawkeye came with an arrow with Antman on the head...tip...the front of the arrow. :sweat:

I'd prefer a mini-Wasp like mini-Silver Surfer, though, attached to a waist piece to be slid over the crotch peg (man, my mind is in the underpants today), instead of pegged onto the back like with Galactus. Antman can be on something, but I'd prefer Wasp to be "flying."

And, what about including a mini- Hank or Janet with a full-size Hank or Janet? Granted, if it's a costume we already have, then, yes, include them with another character. But, like that black & yellow costume of Janet's, just make a mini-one to go with a normal-sized version.

Considering Wasp has has more costume variants than any other Marvel character bar-none, the fact we only have a single Wasp minimate is pretty surprising. I like the black and yellow outfit they settled on at the end, my favorite is the yellow and red outfit she wore around the time of the first Lady Liberators story.

And yeah. there's still a lot of Avengers left unmade. And there's a few more costume variations of secondary characters that would be welcome by most. If you do make a fluttering Wasp or tiny Ant-Man, I request that you do them slightly differently than little Surfer. See if there's som way to attatch them in a different, more universal way so that they could be used with different characters than just who they are boxed with.

And yes, Shooter threw all of Jan's characer development to that point out the window when he wrote Secret Wars. This was particularly odd since he was one of the people who had guided that evolution. His explanation, that she was nervous about their seemingly hopeless situation, didn't hold water either. Aside from someone to kick the crap out of, kill then ressurect, I'm nt really sure why she was even there.

I still prefer Ultimate Wasp. A lot of nice, sad characterization there, and the costume was very nice. Not as nice as the black and yellow from above, but nice.

That, and i just want my Ultimates finished...

So long as we don't get an 'Ultimatum' Wasp with Blob 2-pack....those who have read that comic know what I am talking about...

Edited by MST3KFan

I still prefer Ultimate Wasp. A lot of nice, sad characterization there, and the costume was very nice. Not as nice as the black and yellow from above, but nice.

That, and i just want my Ultimates finished...

So long as we don't get an 'Ultimatum' Wasp with Blob 2-pack....those who have read that comic know what I am talking about...

Let's appeal to all fans; she gets three torsos:

Normal, "Taunting Hulk," and "Ultimatum." :highfive2:

Well thanks to The latest Avengers:EMH episode now I want to see a Rocket Racoon minimate.. And maybe some more GotG characters. Falcon and black/yellow Wasp need to be made first though. ;)

Edited by The Vox

Considering Wasp has has more costume variants than any other Marvel character bar-none, the fact we only have a single Wasp minimate is pretty surprising. I like the black and yellow outfit they settled on at the end, my favorite is the yellow and red outfit she wore around the time of the first Lady Liberators story.

And yeah. there's still a lot of Avengers left unmade. And there's a few more costume variations of secondary characters that would be welcome by most. If you do make a fluttering Wasp or tiny Ant-Man, I request that you do them slightly differently than little Surfer. See if there's som way to attatch them in a different, more universal way so that they could be used with different characters than just who they are boxed with.

And yes, Shooter threw all of Jan's characer development to that point out the window when he wrote Secret Wars. This was particularly odd since he was one of the people who had guided that evolution. His explanation, that she was nervous about their seemingly hopeless situation, didn't hold water either. Aside from someone to kick the crap out of, kill then ressurect, I'm nt really sure why she was even there.

Heck, I'm still kind of wondering why Rogue and Ultron were there myself; if memory serves neither did very much, though Ultron was reprogrammed by Doom pretty early on. I remember Rogue having a line about wondering if she should join Doom's forces but otherwise I'm drawing a blank. I can't even remember if she's there when Spidey makes the X-men look like chumps before Xavier mindwipes him. As for Wasp, her interacting with Magneto always felt kind of funny to me until I realized that she was the only female there that wasn't an X-character and therefore was the only one who would logically confront Magneto alone about an alliance or whatever.

Put me down for the original Dane Black Knight look as well; the 90's-ified versions aren't quite as terrible as some other designs from that era, but I don't think there's ever been a piece of merchandise with Dane's classic costume. Besides, with an extra Wave 42 Cap's jacket, you can QC one of the 90's looks!

I think the biggest Avengers characters we're missing currently are:

- Black Knight (he's part of a lot of different iterations over the years)

- Jocasta (I don't think she's appeared in more than 30 times in a book that doesn't have "Avengers" in the title)

- Mockingbird (she had a high profile return during Secret Invasion and serves on... some Avengers team now)

- Crystal (works with so many different rosters)

- Quasar (a fan favorite who could provide parts for a QC Marvel Boy/Uranian from Atlas)

- Moondragon (helps fill out 70's characters and belongs to a bunch of different casts like Crystal)

- Hellcat (Simple but long overdue)

- an updated Luke Cage (not my favorite but he's pretty important at this point)

- Shang-Chi

I'll cop to cheating a little with Shang-Chi but he did join recently since if you're a marvel hero who lives in New York City for more than a week your Avengers membership card is automatically mailed to you. Remember when they had reserve members? Man, those days are way in the past!

Heck, I'm still kind of wondering why Rogue and Ultron were there myself; if memory serves neither did very much, though Ultron was reprogrammed by Doom pretty early on. I remember Rogue having a line about wondering if she should join Doom's forces but otherwise I'm drawing a blank. I can't even remember if she's there when Spidey makes the X-men look like chumps before Xavier mindwipes him. As for Wasp, her interacting with Magneto always felt kind of funny to me until I realized that she was the only female there that wasn't an X-character and therefore was the only one who would logically confront Magneto alone about an alliance or whatever.

Yeah, she was there when Spidey thrashed the X-Men. He caught her in a web, and she wasn't able to break free.

Mini Ant-Man (Hank) and Wasp, that attach to a proper minimate much like Skeets w/ Booster Gold... both in the classic Avengers #1 costumes.

Hank with a black and yellow Wasp, Jan with Pym as Wasp

...yeah?

Mini Ant-Man (Hank) and Wasp, that attach to a proper minimate much like Skeets w/ Booster Gold... both in the classic Avengers #1 costumes.

...yeah?

Skeets! Yes, just like that. That's what I'd like to see. And I know Ant-Man's getting all the love, but personally I always liked YJ better.

Aside from tiny Avengers #1 costumes Hank and Jan, what would make me happiest would be if any other tiny bug people came with... a full sized version of the same costume.

And I'll say this about Secret Wars: For all it's flaws, and there were many, it has provided me with a mental framework for every Marvel action figure collection that has come after it. Let me explain. No matter which Marvel collection you name, it's a very eclectic bunch when the first sets come out. Even a year in you rarely have any whole teams, and a smattering of A list villains. Thus in my head it's always a Secret Wars type situation except more people keep arriving on both sides.

Yeah, she was there when Spidey thrashed the X-Men. He caught her in a web, and she wasn't able to break free.

And I hate to break it to ya, but She-Hulk and Captain Marvel were also there.

Mini Ant-Man (Hank) and Wasp, that attach to a proper minimate much like Skeets w/ Booster Gold...

Skeets! Yes, just like that. That's what I'd like to see.

I'd prefer a mini-Wasp like mini-Silver Surfer, though, attached to a waist piece to be slid over the crotch peg, instead of pegged onto the back like with Galactus.

;)

...yeah?

Skeets! Yes, just like that. That's what I'd like to see. And I know Ant-Man's getting all the love, but personally I always liked YJ better.

Aside from tiny Avengers #1 costumes Hank and Jan, what would make me happiest would be if any other tiny bug people came with... a full sized version of the same costume.

And I'll say this about Secret Wars: For all it's flaws, and there were many, it has provided me with a mental framework for every Marvel action figure collection that has come after it. Let me explain. No matter which Marvel collection you name, it's a very eclectic bunch when the first sets come out. Even a year in you rarely have any whole teams, and a smattering of A list villains. Thus in my head it's always a Secret Wars type situation except more people keep arriving on both sides.

Even as a kid I knew about the corporate aspect of Secret Wars as I didn't get to read it until years after the fact. For the longest time, I only knew it as the intro page to my 'Saga of the Alien Costume' TPB and the references Peter made to it when him and Doc Connors are jumping out of the gate in Central Park. It's been fun filling in the blanks the years since as the story came right in the middle of some great runs on Spidey, Thor and the FF. Was there ever an explanation as to why Thor was in his standard look on Battleworld, or am I remembering SW's place in the Simonson Thor run wrong?

And I hate to break it to ya, but She-Hulk and Captain Marvel were also there.

That's right! I'd totally forgotten about them but I think the whole 'Wasp and Magneto' thing was a result of Shooter not really knowing what to with Janet in the story. One thing's obvious out of this though: I need to read Secret Wars again as my memory's really fuzzy...

I will say that the X-men/Spidey confrontation always felt weirder to me than the whole Wasp characterization but I've read less late 70's and early 80's Avengers than I'd like, while the Essential X-men volumes were being published right around when I read Secret Wars. I love Spidey but for the longest time I really wondered if Shooter was secretly giving the X characters a beatdown because he resented them being neck-and-neck in sales with Legion for a long time or something.

I think going forward we should get smaller versions of characters who can shrink; Galactus may have spoiled us with the small Surfer but I think it'd have given GiAnt Man some extra 'oomph' if he'd come with a tiny Janet.

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

I will say that the X-men/Spidey confrontation always felt weirder to me than the whole Wasp characterization but I've read less late 70's and early 80's Avengers than I'd like, while the Essential X-men volumes were being published right around when I read Secret Wars. I love Spidey but for the longest time I really wondered if Shooter was secretly giving the X characters a beatdown because he resented them being neck-and-neck in sales with Legion for a long time or something.

That was my first exposure to the X-Men, and that fight certainly didn't do much to endear the X-Men to me. Made Spidey seem pretty awesome, though.

Shooter wrote a brief entry about it for his apparently now-abandoned (he hasn't had a new post in over a month) blog. He says that he basically decided that he was the only one capable of writing the series; from what I understand, there was a lot of resentment among Marvel's writers that he'd given himself such a high-profile assignment (not to mention the considerable paycheck that went along with it). Anyway, it was a fun book, and my first real exposure to many of these characters, particularly the villains.