UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Avengers Box Sets

DSTZach

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they'd sculpted a little Ant-Man onto one of Hawkeye's arrows, just like the Marvel Legends figure.

Agreed. Would have looked cool along with tiny Silver Surfer and little hologram Cortana.

I'll probably be ordering a pair of the Ant-Man Army builder sets from Luke and just waiting to pick these 4 packs up when they hit Disney Stores for the rest of these figures. I normally ebay doubles, but in this case the spare Pym will just be Ant-Man/Giant-Man... but I really don't need spares on the rest so yeah... not ordering the full wave.

I see the spare heads and stuff but... hmm...

To flourish a bit of customer loyalty/praise... I used to collect minimates, comic books, heroclix, marvel legends, super hero squad, dabbled in Marvel Universe in its early days... and any number of other non-marvel nerd collection hobbies... then the economy started getting suckier. Money wasn't as steady. I made less as oil prices went up, and so did the prices of everything... anyway, point I'm driving toward now is, I collect none of those other things anymore. Dropped Legends. Dropped Heroclix. Dropped Super Hero Squad. Dropped Comics... which sometimes makes me behind the curve when minimates based on new stories are released.... hehe... but anyway Marvel Minimates are pretty much the only collection I still keep up on.

I've been very happy with the overall price and pacing of this line over the years. I feel figures come out steadily enough, and the roster stays interesting enough that I'm still getting things that are awesome and new each year... but I'm not overwhelmed by too many releases. I didn't stick with Super Hero Squad or Marvel Universe because I feel Hasbro rushed too much too fast... there's always a couple dozen figures in the main waves floating around and also 3 movie waves out there all the time, plus boxed sets and god knows what else. I couldn't keep up. (Not that lots of releases real fast is a bad if you have the money, but I don't. That's the whole point.)

Minimates have stayed well-paced and affordable... and easy to collect. It's always easy to buy a whole wave, WITH the variant online. Sometimes in a comic book shop (although I find online is usually cheaper, oddly enough). Barring a couple rare exceptions, there aren't too many stupid hard to find figures, which is a large part of what drove my interest away from Legends and Heroclix. There are some of those I will never own. Warpath and Angel were the hardest minimates I ever had to find... and Warpath I scooped up loose on Ebay. Angel I got helped with in a friendly trade here... and I honestly don't think it was a great deal for the other guy, but he was cool with it and I'm thankful. (I forget who that was...)

And I take pride in the fact that I have a 100% complete collection of Marvel Minimates... (barring Gold/Silver Spidey, who I never expected to own anyway, unless I get some sort of miracle job someday... and who I don't count anyway for being non-canon promos, lol)

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on this rant of praise... my only point is, I love the line. I buy them all. And I think that's enough. I don't need two of these damn guys and if I bought two of every guy that came with an extra hair/head piece, I'd be even more broke than I am now. (I know that last bit sounded negative, but I didn't mean for it to. It's all in good fun. I love minimates, I hope that message was clear on the whole, lol...)

Oh, and I open everything... I'm a "toys are meant to be played with" collector, lol...

So yeah. *High Five* Everyone.

PS. Side note: While I'm throwing out off-topic praise... I'm starting to notice more people using the Toad sig in this thread... and for that you have my genuine thanks. I feel like Toad got alot of positive response early on, and then Gideon stole all his thunder in the X community... and then for a week or so I was the only one with the Toad sig... so it was making me feel bad. So yeah... *Manly Hug* lol...

Edited by Gillbob316

Don't get me wrong. I want Toad. The guy has been an X-Men villain/groupy/annoyance/janitor since 1964. 1964!!!

That's 48 years. he's 3 issues shy of being as old as Magneto, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Angel, Beast, Iceman & Professor X. He was in an x-movie. I think he is over-due for the minimate treatment and i very much want to see him get made. BUT - i also have no fear that he will get made one day. He was on the old poster & he's an integral part of x-lore. Unless DST/AA is suddenly and without warning taken over by a zombie apocalypse, i'm sure we'll see him.

I mentioned Gideon in jest at one stage and found it funny that there anyone might actually campaign for him. I don't think he's actually diminishing Toads chances of getting made. But i do think that if anyone genuinely needed help/campaigning to get made out of Toad & Gideon . . . it's Gideon. Pony Tail? Vest? Inexplicable metal banding on arms? The guy has zero chance, which kinda makes campaigning for him all the more funny.

On the day that we get Toad - i'll be just as excited as you are. Guaranteed. :highfive2:

( Topic? What Topic? :wacko: )

I had a big post about my feelings (much are similair to Gilbob's) but I was at work and the computer ate my post when Internet Explorer crashed.

Suffice to say, I agree that the reason I never got into Heroclix (several people attempted to sway me) and gave up on Marvel Legends (after following the line for most of it's run) was due to it being so costly and hard to get all the characters I wanted. Plus, they're f---in' FUN, have lots of articulation and are easy to store and display.

For 99% of the time, minimates aren't that way and I'm incredibly thankful. With the help of others on the board and online purchases, it's possible to get stuff sooner than I'd be able to if I had to rely solely on stores. Local TRU? Forget it... too costly to make repeated trips. Variant at the local comic shop? Only if I commit to buying a CASE... which I've had happen before (Raft Spider-Man? SHUT YOUR FACE).

The main problem is that stuff gets expensive after it's been out for awhile. But even then, there are ways *mostly* around that.

Yay for minimates and the people that make 'em.

Edited by Mystery Man

I originally had a line in that post, and I don't know what happened to it... must have gotten eaten through lots of re-writing and shuffling a few sentances and paragraphs around...

Anyway, it was something that addressed the fact that an entire new wave of 8 minimates... WITH variant... costs me around $25-$30 on average... and an entire new wave of Legends, 6-8 figures, or an entire new set of Heroclix, which is dozens of figures, but they're all just miniatures... would cost me easily over $100.

Perhaps double if chase figures and variants got involved, in both cases.

Hell more with Heroclix, because I liked to collect them the stupid way, buying boosters and individual figures, and trading. I never bought a whole set all at once... which I know is less cost effective, though I never did the math, lol... I still have a big tub of untraded/unsold doubles on my shelf collecting dust.

I'm just re-touching on this now because it seems to have not made it's way to the final post, and I liked that part. I think the numbers kinda say it all.

And keep in mind, I collected Legends when they were $7-$10... now Legends are $15-$20 and Marvel Universe figures are $7-$10. Retail.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still spend over $100 on a minimates purchase... but it's much more palatable, because that's usually some combo of between 1 and 3 complete waves, and/or 3-4 boxed sets. Getting a couple dozen minimates is more rewarding for the cost than ONE set of Marvel Legends, or a case of Heroclix from which I get 1/3rd of a set and a whole lot of doubles of common figures... lol...

Like I said, this line is just well balanced. Just the right combo of collectable but still easy to find. Plentiful, but not over-saturated. New characters and old classics. Cheap but not worthless. I still get to hunt... for things like Toys R Us figures. I still get variants. I still get to be happy whenever a new X-Man is coming (*High Five* for Longshot and Dazzler). But I very very rarely get frustrated or angry... collecting minimates. The -very- occasional Warpath/Angel situation notwithstanding, hehe...

That and I really wish I had a Gold and Silver Spidey. Not so much because I'm real hung up on getting them or anything... just because I hate always having to qualify my 100% complete collection with an asterisk... lol...

But who here WOULDN'T... I imagine... barring a few lucky bastard exceptions that make the rest of us jealous... lol...

These should eventually be in Disney Stores as well.

Thanks for the heads up Zach! Can you tell us if a super miniature version of Ant Man has ever been talked about? ...either on an arrow or as a shoulder ornament or something? Silver surfer turn out so cool on galactus.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up Zach! Can you tell us if a super miniature version of Ant Man has ever been talked about? ...either on an arrow or as a shoulder ornament or something? Silver surfer turn out so cool on galactus.

Thanks

Not sure it's ever been talked about, but Ask DST. Trick now is finding an Avenger we haven't done to death to package a tiny Ant-Man with. And have we not done a Wasp like that?

Yeah, Zach, we are in desperate need for a Scarlet Witch and (green) Quicksilver update. There is also the original Swordsman, who was one of the early Avengers foe who later became a member of the team. I think we've had plenty enough Spider-Women, though (4 in the 616-verse by my count). And of course, the Black Knight is a glaring omission.

Seems like I've seen a mini-Wasp on an arrow, but I think that was the DST select Hawkeye, not a Minimate.

My candidates for people to get a teeny-tiny Wasp and Ant-Man:

- Falcon (classic)

- Black Knight III (Dane Whitman)

- updated Scarlet Witch (classic)

- green/white Quicksilver (classic)

- Vision (updated solid green/yellow OR all white version)

- Tigra

- Moondragon

- Jack of Hearts

- Sersi

- Crystal

I think it would be cool to do an update of Jessica Drew.

Definitely!

I think a mini version of Scott Lang Ant-Man would be perfect with Jack of Hearts.

Isn't he the variant in wave 44?

Mini version, like Silver Surfer i think he means.

Not a Jessica Drew fan, but i wouldn't mind an update, as long as it isn't John Romita Jr. version with the weird mullet hair like she's been shown with lately.

I think it would be cool to do an update of Jessica Drew.

Definitely!

I think a mini version of Scott Lang Ant-Man would be perfect with Jack of Hearts.

Isn't he the variant in wave 44?

Mini version, like Silver Surfer i think he means.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Thanks

Not sure it's ever been talked about, but Ask DST. Trick now is finding an Avenger we haven't done to death to package a tiny Ant-Man with. And have we not done a Wasp like that?

I don't think AA/DST have ever done either like that. But Wasp IS a character from the Avengers that hasn't been done to death. I know she's probably not a priority right now due to her not appearing in any current comics, but a Modern Wasp would be a great figure & a tiny Ant-Man accessory would be quite the cherry.

EDIT: Apologies to anyone offended by re-releases of characters, but i always liked the Black & Yellow design for Wasp & it's one character i wouldn't mind seeing again.

Please, don't let Dinobot see that, or we'll never hear the end of it.;)

It took me a long time to warm up to the Wasp, for one reason only: Secret Wars. If you've ever read it, then you'll know that Jim Shooter's writing for her is just awful. She comes off as a flighty bubblehead, certainly not Avengers material (not to mention Avengers leadership material). As this was my first exposure to the character, it was hard for me to get over that first impression.

But the Roger Stern/John Busema years broke the ice, and then Busiek won me over in Avengers Forever. So I'd love to see her in that costume, with either an mini-Ant Man or Yellowjacket.

Oh, and if we're talking about a mini- Scott Lang? Only one choice: Stature.

If you've ever read it, then you'll know that Jim Shooter's writing for her is just awful. She comes off as a flighty bubblehead

Wasn't she a ditzy socialite in the original Lee/Kirby books?