UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 13...IS OUT NOW!

Jatta Pake

I thought Chuck once said something about that being a special case because it was the retailer's request. Or I may be making that up.

No, that sounds right. There was an enormous stink raised about how fast the original Deadpool set sold out. And unlike the enormous stinks raised over X-Factor Angel and the SA Angel/Variant mess, this one Chuck and the gang were able to to something about. Which in hindsight, seems funny that folks were upset about not having Deadpool. Now you have your choice of Deadpool in different costumes, ages, even genders.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - gotta agree with TM@: They didn't leave much room for improvement on the first Deadpool released. The treaded shoes, accessories galore, 2 slip on masks, paint apps almost everywhere. DST really spent a lot of time and money getting him right first time round.

EDIT: Let me clarify, i mean the first 616 Deadpool. Not the movie Deadpool which came out before the 616.

But that's what the '90s were, hellpop. Surely you remember. We all wore big shoulderpads and neckerchiefs.

Well, some things never go out of style. I still wear my pink and yellow "Hellpop" pants for church every Sunday.

Maybe you northerners. Me, as long as I've got me some leg belts, about 30 pouches on my regular belt, and a leather jacket to go over my spandex leotards, I'm good.

See... I was ALWAYS ahead of my time. All throughout the nineties, I wore a black leather body suit with a black leather duster over it and some black wrap around sunglasses. Of course, sometimes in place of my black leather shirt and duster, I'd just wear a wifebeater to show of my sweetass tribal tattoo sleeve. I looked WAY cooler than you tools.

but DST already does this Valo, maybe not ALL the time, but still more then often, Cap/crossbones, Cap/Arnim Zola, Thor/Beta Ray Bill, Thor/Balder, Ironman/Stilt Man, Ironman/Crimson Dynamo, Wolverine/Sabretooth, Wolverine/Brood, Spiderman/ANY VILLAIN THEY HAVE MADE

Thank you. Not every wave is going to please every single person, but any implication that DST doesn't do a DAMNED fine job of catering to its fans is ridiculous. I have an Arnim Zola I didn't have to pay 90 dollars for. Later this year, I'll have Venom in pretty much EVERY ONE of his designs. I have Thunderbolts. I have a pitch perfect Fantastic Four. And I have the 90s X-Men. Are there things I'm missing? Sure. But that will be the case with any toy wave. My point is, the things I have FAR outnumber those I wish I could get, and they're pretty freaking amazing. I HAVE that first Deadpool. I have Holocaust and Mr. Sinister and Hoverchair Professor X and Archangel and Dark Hawkeye on a HAMMER Glider and Cannonball with a blasting base and PETER PARKER BEING DRAGGED BEHIND THE GREEN GOBLIN!!!

Thank you, Zach, Chuck, and everyone at DST. We don't say it enough.

I wore a black leather body suit with a black leather duster over it and some black wrap around sunglasses.

Great points Jason, but it's all lost on me after that statement. I'll never look at you the same way again. In fact, I might try not to look at you at all to avoid the image popping in my head (much like I avoid the somewhat creepy older guy that works at your TRU).

@mnemosis, I get that you're trying to take me to task for some reason, but I think the fact that every character you listed has been made in other lines pretty much covers it. You could have pulled Spymaster, Gamora, Molecule Man etc. but the only one you listed that is unique to 'mates is Dragged Peter Parker.

No one is saying DST doesn't do great work on the 'mates, no one is saying that the DST guys should be tarred and feathered. In my opinion they're the best I've seen in regards to talking to and not down to their customers. I'm simply trying to show there are ways to make waves that appeal to everyone, without new buyers or long term collectors getting short shrift. I can tell you feel very "righteously indignant" for some reason, but I fail to see how asking for more than one new character a wave is so offensive to you.

@mnemosis, I get that you're trying to take me to task for some reason, but I think the fact that every character you listed has been made in other lines pretty much covers it. You could have pulled Spymaster, Gamora, Molecule Man etc. but the only one you listed that is unique to 'mates is Dragged Peter Parker.

No one is saying DST doesn't do great work on the 'mates, no one is saying that the DST guys should be tarred and feathered. In my opinion they're the best I've seen in regards to talking to and not down to their customers. I'm simply trying to show there are ways to make waves that appeal to everyone, without new buyers or long term collectors getting short shrift. I can tell you feel very "righteously indignant" for some reason, but I fail to see how asking for more than one new character a wave is so offensive to you.

I appreciate the kind words, Valo, but I'm failing to see the problem, as well. Most of the waves we put out have three or four new characters. (Not just the Marvel ones, either.) If army builders don't count, I'm not sure why not. If collectors are getting short shrift with this wave (and I predict another mass reversal of opinions upon release), it's getting made up in other places (Wave 43, Wave 13, Galactus). It sounds like you want every wave -- and every two-pack -- to follow the exact same formula, with equal amounts of new and old. I see how you might think that would give us the best of both worlds, but it's just not how we operate.

I wore a black leather body suit with a black leather duster over it and some black wrap around sunglasses.

Great points Jason, but it's all lost on me after that statement. I'll never look at you the same way again. In fact, I might try not to look at you at all to avoid the image popping in my head (much like I avoid the somewhat creepy older guy that works at your TRU).

Literally just laughed out loud as I know EXACTLY who you're talking about. I'd say he's a great guy when you get to know him but... LOL

But no, I didn't actually dress like that. Ever.

On a HAMMER glider? Mine didn't come with a glider

The glider from Menace, once the goblin face is slipped off, works perfectly as a HAMMER glider

My comments were directed at ANYONE in the same or similar mindset. DST is a business out to make a profit. They've found a way of doing that which apparently works or we wouldn't have a thread talking about wave 45 of ONE BRANCH of their toy line, and while managing profitable longevity, they are also providing fantastic character selection. You cite other waves, but I would venture to bet there are more Iron Man and Spider-Man figures per capita in Marvel Universe (and maybe even Marvel Legends) than there are in Minimates. Be patient and the characters you want will be made. In the meantime, be thankful you're not having to buy EVERY. SINGLE. FIGURE. Unless you're a completist and that's what you're doing, and if that's the case, that's on you then. I look at the upcoming X-Men selections and I'm thankful I can pass on that Havok/Storm two-pack because I have no interest, but I don't begrudge its release for whoever MIGHT want it.

And THAT is what I don't understand about people complaining about character selection: until the pack you hate is sitting on pegs collecting dust, who are you to say no one wants it? There's a Sinister/Nimrod two-pack at my comic shop still sitting there, and those were two pretty high-profile characters for collectors; two characters who were never done before. But in MY market, apparently they're not so sought after.

You don't like the selection in a wave? Don't buy the figures, and wait that much more eagerly for the next wave. Telling the company how they should be doing business, especially when they're already successful at what they do, just seems very silly. I mean, if this was Shocker Toys, that'd be a different story... give them all the advice you can spare ;)

I think the fact that every character you listed has been made in other lines pretty much covers it. You could have pulled Spymaster, Gamora, Molecule Man etc. but the only one you listed that is unique to 'mates is Dragged Peter Parker.

I have an Arnim Zola I didn't have to pay 90 dollars for. UNIQUE TO MATES

Later this year, I'll have Venom in pretty much EVERY ONE of his designs. UNIQUE TO MATES

I have Thunderbolts. Swordsman, Radioactive Man, Penance, Accurate Gargan Venom, and Moonstone UNIQUE TO MATES

And I have the 90s X-Men. UNIQUE TO MATES (at least, for the time being)

Dark Hawkeye on a HAMMER Glider UNIQUE TO MATES

and Cannonball with a blasting base UNIQUE TO MATES

and PETER PARKER BEING DRAGGED BEHIND THE GREEN GOBLIN!!! UNIQUE TO MATES

I think your count is off, Valo. Sorry, but I'm a displayer. I open my toys, I find the "perfect pose," and I set them out on shelves to look at and enjoy. My Marvel Legends Cannonball looks stupid lunging ineffectually off of his display stand with no blast effect. If I HAD a Dark Avengers Hawkeye from the MU line, I'd be bored with him standing in a lackluster pose alongside the three or four teammates they produced for him. Those figures simply don't have the display value their tinier, cheaper, FUNNER counterparts do. And yes, I know "funner" isn't a word, but if ever it makes it into Webster's, it ought to be on account of Minimates.

I'm not looking to fight; I'm sorry if it seems that way. I just don't understand how anyone can complain about this line. It boggles the mind.

Not to mention, Minimates is the only toy line where Master Chief, Batman, and Deadpool can race a Warthog, the DeLorean and KITT to save firefighters from zombies and pirates and have it all work.

"how can anyone complain about this line?" "Bah!" Kang snarls and angrily turns to leave. "Come along, Toad."

I find the "perfect pose"

F*** yeah, you do. :wub:

This man poses action figures in the most dynamic ways I have ever seen in my life. Poses that I didn't even think they could get in with their given articulation. They don't look like toys when he's done with them. They look like freeze frames from awesome action movies.

Edited by TENIME_art

I'm not looking to fight; I'm sorry if it seems that way. I just don't understand how anyone can complain about this line. It boggles the mind.

Every time I've heard the line "I'm not looking for a fight" I've seen a fight.....just saying .....

.....but you're absolutely right though everything is perfect & nobody should imply otherwise .....don't even dare.

and PETER PARKER BEING DRAGGED BEHIND THE GREEN GOBLIN!!! UNIQUE TO MATES

Nope, Marvel Select did it first.

Well shoot, you're right! Forgot about that one!

I find the "perfect pose"

F*** yeah, you do. :wub:

This man poses action figures in the most dynamic ways I have ever seen in my life. Poses that I didn't even think they could get in with their given articulation. They don't look like toys when he's done with them. They look like freeze frames from awesome action movies.

Awwwwww, shucks.

Every time I've heard the line "I'm not looking for a fight" I've seen a fight.....just saying .....

.....but you're absolutely right though everything is perfect & nobody should imply otherwise .....don't even dare.

Maybe every time you've heard the line "I'm not looking for a fight" you've seen one because the people saying it usually find themselves trying to talk civilly with people who are spoiling for one.

I never said everything is perfect, now did I. You choose to twist my words in an attempt to rile me. I'm not so simple as to play into that trap. I'll just never understand the mindset of looking a gift horse in the mouth. No other toy line that I'm privy to has ever done what Minimates has been capable of. The combination of character selection, poseability, sculpt, accessorization, price... not to mention the time and attention Zach devotes to the fans here. It just enervates me to think that really, no matter WHAT DST gives us, they're always going to get hounded for something different:

Hulk looks weird and wimpy next to my other 'mates

Hulk is too bulky and chunky

We need more obscure characters!

Arnim Zola pegwarms

I never got "X" when it first came out!

Oh, man, they're doing a new version of "X"? LAME!

Again, I just don't understand why people think that because the Internet allows them to complain about every little disappointment of their life, it means that they should. There are plenty of toy lines or waves or whatever that have been unabashedly less than one might hope for, that are totally deserving of venom from all comers. With a line like Minimates that gets it right so much of the time, I don't understand why we have to nitpick every little issue that we don't agree with.

And to address the issue of the Friends and Foes set? That's a perfect example of a time when yes, the company needed to be taken to task. That wasn't a matter of opinion, there were actual glaring errors. THAT deserves to be brought up. But the mindset among the collector community that any one of us knows exactly how DST should run their business - only to put forth a strategy that specifically sates our personal desires - is ludicrous. I'll say it again; if they were doing it wrong, they'd have stopped a long long time ago.

And if Gateway and Onslaught, Toad and Pyro, Falcon and Kang, and Nighthawk and Hellcat were the next TRU wave of Minimates, what would we all have to look forward to? Egghead? Clint Barton's brother? Rusty and Skids? Take your time, DST. A little anticipation goes a long way to making this hobby enjoyable.

I apologize if my presence here has made it less okay to express opinions. I may try to address them, to suss out how, exactly we're screwing up, but I'd hate to see strife caused simply because people don't want to offend me. Message boards are foor opinions; it was like that when I was on WUMB, it's like that today. (No, I haven't reallyy been on message boards very long.)

I'll just never understand the mindset of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm not sure how you get your minimates, but I've never had DST give them to me as gifts, I've had to pay for every one. When I get free minimates I promise not to complain, otherwise I'm going to feel free to offer opinions, "ludicrous" or not.

I apologize if my presence here has made it less okay to express opinions. I may try to address them, to suss out how, exactly we're screwing up, but I'd hate to see strife caused simply because people don't want to offend me. Message boards are foor opinions; it was like that when I was on WUMB, it's like that today. (No, I haven't reallyy been on message boards very long.)

I think *almost* all of us get that you're not going to leave the board if we nitpick stuff, and that you're also not going to change the line plan to suit our personal preferences. Plus DST peeps have always been around the board on and off, maybe not to this degree before, but if anything I've seen more opinions expressed since your arrival :)

And if Gateway and Onslaught, Toad and Pyro, Falcon and Kang, and Nighthawk and Hellcat were the next TRU wave of Minimates, what would we all have to look forward to? Egghead? Clint Barton's brother? Rusty and Skids? Take your time, DST. A little anticipation goes a long way to making this hobby enjoyable.

You want the whole list of who I'd want, without going into the obscure, after Kang, Gateway, Onslaught, Toad, Pyro, Falcon, Nighthawk, and Hellcat? Cause I can rattle it off for you. (and you missed Zemo and the Winter Soldier. shame. shame.)

I love this line. I really do. Haven't gotten a charge out of a collection since the glory days of TB Marvel Legends.

But my love and enjoyment of this collection does not blind me to what I perceive as flaws, nor prevent me from wishing that certain figures are made sooner rather than later. And I will continue to voice those opinions. Both on this board, and more importantly with my wallet.

If that offends, well it's not my intent... normally.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and try and be civil.