UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 13...IS OUT NOW!

Jatta Pake

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's what the '90s were, hellpop. Surely you remember. We all wore big shoulderpads and neckerchiefs.

Maybe you northerners. Me, as long as I've got me some leg belts, about 30 pouches on my regular belt, and a leather jacket to go over my spandex leotards, I'm good.

But that's what the '90s were, hellpop. Surely you remember. We all wore big shoulderpads and neckerchiefs.

Maybe you northerners. Me, as long as I've got me some leg belts, about 30 pouches on my regular belt, and a leather jacket to go over my spandex leotards, I'm good.

Don't forget face spandex with wavey hair out the top......I hate Jim Lee...

Which Gladiator? The Imperial Guardsman? Me. The Daredevil villain? Chuck.

The purple Superman rip-off with the mohawk, not the tailor with anger issues and buzz saw gauntlets. Although the DD villain would absolutely be welcome.

(side note, one of my favorite moments in the '86 DOHotMU was Gru's getting legendary Superman artist Curt Swan to draw the Gladiator profile picture. Brilliant)

Edited by Mirymate

I was thinking the mohawk-wearing, Superman-analogy alien Gladiator, but I'd be good with a "whirling wristblades of death!" DD Gladiator as well.

The only fair way to settle it, of course, is a Gladiator / Gladiator 2-pack.

Screw that, I want Kang! Let him kill people! What do I care, if it brings me nearer to that beautiful, blue-face bastard? :teehee:

Sure! One per case, only 1 case distributed to each of 6 stores nationwide! Bring it on! Have fun fueling the scalpers on eBay paying $96 for a single Minimate! :rolleyes:

You guys really nailed Boom-Boom and Rictor but OH MY GOD ARE THOSE THE FUGLIEST THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN. THOSE COSTUMES. NO. REDEEMING. QUALITY. WHATSOEVER. I wish I could unsee them.

To you. Just like I think that Jim Lee is one of the more talented artists out there, unlike your opinion of him (I don't like the new DC costumes either, but he's still a better penciller to me than, say, Bryan Hitch, who everybody seems to love).

I knew I liked you for a reason. :thumbsup:

(No offense to Chuck. :lol: I just don't know, nor care who the other one is.)

I don't think that's quite how he meant it. I believe he meant you have missed out on other great stories, not that the ones you read were bad. The "recent" DD/Gladiator/Mr. Fear story was pretty good, and I'm not a big DD fan.

We actually don't re-release any Minimate the exact same way for the collectors. We don't think it's fair to fans who bought the originals, maybe even tracked them down, that they could get the same figure for possibly cheaper. By tweaking it, we keep that original Mate special, and we also give collectors the option of updating or freshening up their collection with a new version. We're giving collectors something to collect -- if we re-issued the exact same figures, they wouldn't have the option.

:confused:

Forgive my asking, but how were the four figures in the Heroes & Adversaries set different than the originals?

Your opinion. I, on the other hand, feel that I've enjoyed some great stories.

That isn't how I meant it at all, and I think my original post is clear enough to imply that.

I'm not talking down to you. I'm not saying that what you like isn't any good.

I'm saying that I feel kinda sorry for you that you haven't experienced some of the stories that you allude to not having read when you say that you don't know/don't care about a specific character.

Just to add a final thought on what I said before, from some of the responses I get the impression some people are misunderstanding my thoughts, sometimes I get caught up trying to make my point and forget to make my point.

I think some of you think I don't understand why they do rereleases. I do get it, I understand the need to draw in new collectors, and every toyline ever has done it, so 'mates are far from out of the ordinary on this. I know the big names will always be in rotation. Do I wish it wasn't so often? Yes. A thousand times yes, but I get the logistics of it.

What I do take issue with, and will never accept no matter what the logic for it might be, is when two big name characters are packed together(Cap/Thor) or when there is only one new character per wave, or sometimes even no new character. At this stage in the line, there is no good reason for that. If it's a best of wave like the one that just came out, fine, no problem. But in the regular line? No thanks. This bothers me because it's packs like that which do not reward long term committment at all, and it's frustrating because there's such a simple solution.

There's some mild interest in seeing Kang get made (I kid, I kid) and DST loves to make new Iron Man 'mates. Simple solution? Put them together. DST wants to put out a Thor? Put one of the Warriors Three with him. Everybody wins. (as long as they actually FINISH the Warriors Three....*cough*Thunderbolts*cough*) Don't pack Iron Man with Hulk!! Hulk can carry his own two-pack, with a big Abomination or Bi-Beast or Wendigo. So that would make a wave like this:

Iron Man & Kang

Hulk & Abomination

Thor & 1 of the 3

I know there's usually an army builder, but I'm trying to illustrate that a wave like this could satisfy both new AND long term buyers. I'd buy that wave for sure. There's a big name in each pack and a desired supporting character. The wave number escapes me, but there was a wave which gave us three new villains packed with two Iron Men and an army builder. I thought this wave was awesome, because there was something for everyone.

I get the odds are practically nil that we will ever get a 100% new wave again, but that doesn't mean we have to get waves with one psuedo-new character and an army builder either. Keep a healthy balance, and everyone can be happy. But if the ratio stays as low as it has been in some waves I'm not going to let this go. I love 'mates and have no desire to complain about them, this is supposed to be fun. But after several years I don't think I'm being unreasonable asking for a healthy ratio of redos and new characters. Those of us who stayed with the line since day one are part of the reason 'mates still exist as much as the people coming onboard now.

I don't care who it is. Sure I have preferences, but at the end of the day I just want to see some new faces when a wave or box set is announced. If we get a healthy mix, I'm happy. But if we don't I'm going to keep saying what I always have, because I don't buy that there's not a solution that will please both sides.

but DST already does this Valo, maybe not ALL the time, but still more then often, Cap/crossbones, Cap/Arnim Zola, Thor/Beta Ray Bill, Thor/Balder, Ironman/Stilt Man, Ironman/Crimson Dynamo, Wolverine/Sabretooth, Wolverine/Brood, Spiderman/ANY VILLAIN THEY HAVE MADE

Hmmm....

TRU Wave 15 - the cosmic wave!

Airwalker / Firelord

Kang / Space Armor Iron Man

Quasar / Ronan

Gladiator / modern Drax the Destroyer

:thumbsup: You sir should be choosing the TRU waves with these excellent choices. On a side note who do I have to sleep with at DST to get a Gladiator made?

Why the Imperial Gladiator of course, so get ready to pucker up sweetheart!

(p.s. just don't tell my wife) :lol:

Mr Fear sounds pretty scary

Heh. Short description is Mr. Fear is Marvel's version of the Scarecrow without the odd quirks. And also unlike Scarecrow, several different men have used the identity. They all use various chemical fear agents, particularly nasty against their traditional foe, Daredevil. He does have a really neat look to him and Valo's right, he would make a great minimate.

(probably the shortest minibio I've ever done here)

but DST already does this Valo, maybe not ALL the time, but still more then often, Cap/crossbones, Cap/Arnim Zola, Thor/Beta Ray Bill, Thor/Balder, Ironman/Stilt Man, Ironman/Crimson Dynamo, Wolverine/Sabretooth, Wolverine/Brood, Spiderman/ANY VILLAIN THEY HAVE MADE

You're pulling these from whole waves, some going way back. These are the exception, and not the rule. Cap/Crossbones as well as Thor/Balder were TRU sets, which I have seen more than a few people say would have greatly improved Wave 42 had they been chosen to go with Cap/Arnim Zola. My point is two packs like you mentioned are not the norm, and they should be.

And the Crimson Dynamo and Stilt Man examples I already referenced as doing it right.

We actually don't re-release any Minimate the exact same way for the collectors. We don't think it's fair to fans who bought the originals, maybe even tracked them down, that they could get the same figure for possibly cheaper. By tweaking it, we keep that original Mate special, and we also give collectors the option of updating or freshening up their collection with a new version. We're giving collectors something to collect -- if we re-issued the exact same figures, they wouldn't have the option.

Forgive my asking, but how were the four figures in the Heroes & Adversaries set different than the originals?

They were different in that that was apparently the last time we did that. <_<

They were different in that that was apparently the last time we did that. <_<

I thought Chuck once said something about that being a special case because it was the retailer's request. Or I may be making that up.