UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

Maybe they should give incentives to the people who run the website.  Then maybe they could be more consistent with the minimates. I know there are a lot of other toys, but come on they have items EXCLUSIVE to the chain. Shouldn't those at least be in stock ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-18/bankrupt-toys-r-us-is-said-to-mull-closing-at-least-100-stores

I fully expect my store to be among the 100+ to close. For years it hasn't been "eligible" to stock certain assortments of Minimates and it's probably got everything to do with poor overall sales performance. Which will suck because the next nearest TRU is 20 minutes away.

They really need to get their online game together if they want to compete with Amazon.

• 1 month later...

I am very surprised my local store is not on the list.

They seem to be only getting every other assortment of Marvel Minimates and usually never get a second shipment of them once they do get them.

But I will consider myself lucky and maybe with the closure of stores in the Chicago Suburbs that maybe my store will get more minimates.

3 hours ago, JeffBohn said:

Both of the Wisconsin closures are Babies R Us stores, so no major losses here!

Thanks for pointing that out, Jeff. The news article/alert I received had many inaccuracies. The first was the title which said the Madison TRU was closing and the second was a confusing wording which made me think it was the TRU in Brookfield closing, not the BRU. I knew it wasn't Madison, but the Brookfield one I finally had a positive experience in this past weekend!

If you look at that PDF, it lists the stores and what type they are starting on page 72 (no idea what SBS is).  Thought they were closing both stores in Des Moines, but looks like one is the Babies R Us next door instead.

boyd, if you're still in this area it's hopefully good news...

1 hour ago, montrossx said:

Thought they were closing both stores in Des Moines, but looks like one is the Babies R Us next door instead.

Whoo-hoo! It's a small victory!

1 hour ago, montrossx said:

If you look at that PDF, it lists the stores and what type they are starting on page 72 (no idea what SBS is).  Thought they were closing both stores in Des Moines, but looks like one is the Babies R Us next door instead.

SBS means side-by-side Toys R Us / Babies R Us combo stores.

Good chance LEGO sets will be excluded from any discounts, just like they are now with 10% Thursday and rewards money. MacFarland and Mega Construx, on the other hand, would be included and are already better scaled to Minimates.

Lego sets rarely get discounted and they would likely ship the Lego stock to the closest store remaining open. (From my experiences.)

Even when holiday themes sets of Legos have passed their holiday, they most likely remain at full price even in the Lego Stores. (from experience.)

I am losing one of the two nearest me.  There were three, but we lost one on the last go around, too.  Now its just the one.  The one that never has new Minimates, only new American Girl dolls. :confused: