UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek - Reincarnated from the Genesis Planet!

Saw the new Trek today, and I was so disappointed... The only redeeming factor was the soundtrack, and that was even meh... Makes me glad that this movie isn't getting that much merchandising. In fact, the only thing I've found recently worth my money are the new Hot Wheels ships coming out, which includes a prime universe U.S.S. Excelsior...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this one more than Iron Man 3. Gonna sneak away for a movie one night this week and I'm leaning toward Star Trek. I thought the first one was great.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/battle-over-star-trek-rights-killed-j-j-024108752.html

Boo-urns, JJ. Boo-urns!

If JJ had had his way, we would not be getting the new Trek Minimates coming soon. When I walked out of Into Darkness, I was thinking about how much I'd rather buy Shatner-Kirk universe merchandise any day over the new stuff. And then JJ apparently threw a tantrum and gave up his "grand plans" for Trek after not getting all the merchandise sold be only based on his films. I lost a lot of respect for him over this article.

I guess what I don't understand is, why didn't Abrams just create his own outer space adventure shoot-em-up universe? The new stuff, while entertaining in its own right, has at best casual disregard and at worst outright contempt for what came before. Abrams is clearly not interested in building on the old mythos, he wants to blow it up and start over. He just doesn't want to do the heavy lifting of creating a brand from the ground up. He's trying to pirate the existing brand equity of Star Trek, and essentially trick a casually-familiar audience into coming to see something that's really not what he says it is.

No wonder JJ when to tackle the alternate universe that is Star Wars.

I like the new movie and JJ should realize that the Shatner era is iconic and you can never replace the hold that it has on the fans.

Yes he tried to reboot the franchise and it was a great attempt but he can never fully replace that from the minds and thoughts of collectors and fans.

I am very glad to get the new minimates once they actually are released for public purchase.

I guess what I don't understand is, why didn't Abrams just create his own outer space adventure shoot-em-up universe? The new stuff, while entertaining in its own right, has at best casual disregard and at worst outright contempt for what came before. Abrams is clearly not interested in building on the old mythos, he wants to blow it up and start over. He just doesn't want to do the heavy lifting of creating a brand from the ground up. He's trying to pirate the existing brand equity of Star Trek, and essentially trick a casually-familiar audience into coming to see something that's really not what he says it is.

This is a great summary of how I feel about what Abrams has approached this. Frankly, he's not a director, he's a producer who directs. It seems like he's more interested in building a money-machine than telling a story.

Edited by Cappy

Not sure if this is new but there's design sheets for the TRU wave and it shows Picard having an alternate chest block for a standard red uniform.

Yeah, I saw that too. That version of Picard will really be the definitive, must-have version. You get 3 different looks all in one package. I'm thinking that an extra IM3 Tony Stark head might go on the old Picard body for a passable Riker.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

WAVE 2 CONFIRMED!!

From the facebook page: "Can we expect to see wave 2 of trek minimates at comic-con?"

Diamond Select Toys: "Not sure they'll be ready by then, but perhaps! Come to our panel!"

So, they ARE working on wave 2!! Hells Yeah! Even if they're not ready in time for SDCC, at least they are working on them, which was more than they were admitting previously. I'm seriously stoked! The designs for wave 1 are just fantastic!

For wave 2, my top wants are Data & Worf in season 3 TNG outfits and Quark and Odo from DS9. I have a wishlist a mile long, and of course I want full completed crews.

But I hate that feeling that each wave could be the final wave, so yeah, I get a bit greedy on my wishing.

I'm very interested to see what kind of lineup DST would go with in a second wave. They've pretty well covered the main variants for captains, except for maybe Locutus. Do they go heavy on other crew members? Do they risk more Voyager and Enterprise sets? Wish listing is easy, but turning that into a lineup that would sell seems like a challenge.

As far as I'm concerned, they can focus solely on TNG & DS9 until those main crews are covered!

I've already speculated (wishlisted) how they could do several more waves. But Star Trek is not just about the Captains. It would not be wise to do only second officers, because if you focus each wave on just same ranks, how weak would the ALL Ensigns wave do?

I rather like their strategy (to a point) for wave 1 between TRU & specialty. But I would prefer more character selection in wave 2 instead of 2 Picards, etc.

Between TRU & Specialty combined, I don't mind:

1 TOS

1 TOS Movie

2 TNG

2 DS9

1 VOY

1 ENT

Assuming they are going to keep going for several waves, there's no reason not to complete the main crews, as well as get several fan-favorites out.

Now, I've posted before my strategy for maximizing characters based on quick-customs. While I want everything, I'm not AS picky due to the scale, so things like the rank insignia is not as significant to me since it's hard to see at minimate scale, so if, say, Ensign Merriweather from Enterprise never gets released, then he's an easy custom from a Captain Archer due to the fact they have the same color stripes on their uniform.

So, if wave 2 included:

TNG: Worf (w/ removable baldric), Geordi, Data all in gold uniforms and Troi in blue

DS9: Quark & Odo, Kira and O'Brien

VOY: The Doctor and Tuvok

ENT: T'Pol and Tucker

Then, you could conceivably customize the bulk of the remaining missing crew with minimal effort. (NOT that you'd be required to, because with luck there will still be wave 3 and more, but the *ability* to do so would be there as a last resort)

I'm thrilled to hear a second wave is planned and can't wait to see what DST does. I can wishlist all day, but one thing I'm wondering if dst would consider is swappable heads. It looks like movie Picard and Janeway don't really have gender specific bodies, so they could conceivably package, say, Jadzia with two extra heads and a klingon warrior, giving us Jadzia, Bashir, and Ezri along with a badass army builder. That might be wishful thinking, but it might also be a good way get characters that may not otherwise make the cut.

Edit: monkeycrumb, I see we had a similar idea about swapping heads.

I expect Kira/Odo, TOS Spock/Uhura, and Riker will production sooner rather than later.

Edited by Turtle

I'm thrilled to hear a second wave is planned and can't wait to see what DST does. I can wishlist all day, but one thing I'm wondering if dst would consider is swappable heads. It looks like movie Picard and Janeway don't really have gender specific bodies, so they could conceivably package, say, Jadzia with two extra heads and a klingon warrior, giving us Jadzia, Bashir, and Ezri along with a badass army builder. That might be wishful thinking, but it might also be a good way get characters that may not otherwise make the cut.

I LOVE IT! I'd mentioned this before with the example of Ensign Ro and Commander Shelby and Barclay & O'Brien to get more supporting cast. But doing this for main cast is a fantastic idea!

Pack Worf with extra Geordi head and a Romulan, and Data with extra O'Brien head & hands, and Dr Crusher with removable lab coat and Troi head! So 2 slots used gains you six crewmembers and 2 army builders! And multiples will get sold!

It's a shame they didn't do this with wave 1 - pack a Riker head with the specialty Picard (TRU comes with the red chest block so that's a great start!) and Worf head/baldric with Sisko, Chakotay head with Janeway. But, since the captain's wave is the strongest, this is perfect for the other crew!

So wave 2 should be:

TNG: Worf (extra Geordi head) & Romulan

TNG: Data (extra OBrien head) & Dr Crusher (extra Deanna Troi head)

DS9: Kira (extra chest block for both her on-duty & casual outfit & Odo (extra head for Bajoran security officer)

DS9: Quark (reversible face tampo for Rom & different outfit under a removable top piece) & First Contact-style uniform Jadzia (extra Ezri head)

VOY: Doctor (extra DS9 Bashir head) & Tuvok (extra Kim head)

ENT T'Pol (Spacesuit with standard uniform underneath) & Tucker (extra Reed head)

TOS: Tholian Web Spacesuit Kirk (extra Chekov head) & Classic Romulan

TOS Movie: Standard Red Uniform (maybe with flap down to differ from older release?) Spock (extra McCoy head) & Klingon Warrior (extra Kruge head)

Yeah, I'd buy several cases of that lineup! Because they are further swappable to also get more uniform variations outside of each 2-pack.

Continuing on to wave 3 :)

TNG: Q in Judges Robes with "Q Who" casual outfit underneath (extra Q-2 head) & Riker (extra Wesley head)

TNG: Ensign Ro (extra Shelby head) & Locutus (extra Borg parts)

DS9: Weyoun (reversible face tampo with another Vorta) and General Martok (extra Gowron parts)

DS9: Garak (underneath sculpted top piece is printed Jake Sisko uniform with extra Jake head) & Grand Nagus Zek (extra Brunt parts)

ENT: Dr Phlox & Hoshi

VOY: Chakotay (extra Paris head) & Neelix (underneath sculpted top piece is printed gold uniform & extra B'ellana Torres head)

TOS: Kirk & Spock from "A Piece of the Action" with Fedora's & Tommy guns

TOS Movie: Wrath of Khan Chekov in red uniform (extra Sulu head) & Captain Terell in Space Suit

I need Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura to come sometime soon simply because those are the TOS Bridge Crew members I missed out on in round one. Once I have those it's TNG all the way out baybee!

I never understand the logic of adding additional heads to make other characters.

How do you display them?

Surely to get both characters you would have to buy the set twice to have enough bodies, meaning you would have one of each head left over, which basically equates to buying each of the characters twice.

Why not just offer two different sets?

I never understand the logic of adding additional heads to make other characters.

How do you display them?

Surely to get both characters you would have to buy the set twice to have enough bodies, meaning you would have one of each head left over, which basically equates to buying each of the characters twice.

Why not just offer two different sets?

Because there are a TON of Star Trek characters and a ton of different looks for them, and there's just no way DST can make them all. The last time we got Trek, we only got 4 waves.

Alternate looks are almost standard in a lot of the Marvel packs, and it helps sales. Are people complaining they get two heads with their SHIELD soldiers or Extremis soldiers? Trek doesn't sell as well as Marvel, and there's no way we're going to get 50 waves. So many of the uniforms are interchangeable between characters so extra heads makes a lot of sense.

Edited by monkeycrumb

Yeah, from a collector's POV, I would love to see extra heads to make extra characters. Otherwise we clearly aren't gonna get some of those characters. Not sure I see DST doing it, but. . .

If DST wants to offer an alternate head/hands for different characters in the same set with aliens/army builders, I'm all for it. I'll have no problem buying two sets to make the alternate character and DST's partners will enjoy higher sales. This is a great way to get more obscure characters out there and make the brand even more successful.

Hey all,

Since we're playing the wishlist game, here's mine for series 2

ENT : T'Pol & Soval

TOS : TOS Away Team Spock & Andorian / TFF Spock (technically TWOK Spock) & Sybok

TNG : TNG Riker & Judge Q / Insurrection Riker (shaved face) & Ru'Afo

DS9 : Season 4 Kira & Bareil / Starfleet Kira & Kai Winn

VOY : Chakotay & Seska

The one I have been struggling with the most is the Kira sets. I was tempted to put Odo in there with her however I think he's a big enough draw on his own. These just made more sense.

Take care,

Matty-lad

Edited by Matty-lad

Hey all,

Since we're playing the wishlist game, here's mine for series 2

ENT : T'Pol & Soval

TOS : TOS Away Team Spock & Andorian / TFF Spock (technically TWOK Spock) & Sybok

TNG : TNG Riker & Judge Q / Insurrection Riker (shaved face) & Ru'Afo

DS9 : Season 4 Kira & Bareil / Starfleet Kira & Kai Winn

VOY : Chakotay & Seska

The one I have been struggling with the most is the Kira sets. I was tempted to put Odo in there with her however I think he's a big enough draw on his own. These just made more sense.

Take care,

Matty-lad

Heh heh twok-spock! That's fun to say :)

Not a bad list, but if we're doing second-in-commands following the captain's wave, it'll take 7 waves to complete every show's crews. Do we see this line lasting 7 waves? And while I would buy everyone you listed, I don't see Bajoran religious figures selling well enough to get us wave 3. Remember, Sarek from the old wave 3 is easily found for less than retail, as is the STTMP pack. I'd be happier to see some crew doubled up in 2-packs, like they did with Janeway & Seven.

Honestly, Bareil should be saved til later and have his Mirror Universe self included as an alternate look under his Vedek robes, and pack wave 2 Kira with another DS9 crewmember. After getting the core crew in uniform, I'd love to see things like the Mirror Universe looks to anchor waves with more supporting cast.