UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Calico Jack Pirate minimates

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you shopped it to these guys?

That is totally awesome. Now I have to find a way to make it out to San Francisco sometime.

The backstory:

Dave Eggers (Gen X writer/raconteur of McSweeney's fame) and some friends decided a few years back to put together a creative writing workshop for kids – I can't recall which city was first, but there are a few. In part to help fund the program and in part to have a cool environment in which to host them, they started opening up these quirky stores that would appeal to creative types. There's this pirate one in San Fran, a superhero one in Brooklyn, a spy one in Chicago, and a space adventure one in Seattle, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

It's a fun idea, and the one I've visited (the superhero one) is pretty cool. Anyway, back on topic. Pirates. Arrr.

Edited by Lobsterman

I'd love to see this line continue and would hope to eventually see some translucent or GITD Pirate ghosts.

Here's a question I've wondered about before; could a smaller retailer use that Kickstart program to fund something like an exclusive through DST? I think it's been hinted at before through the guy who was wanting Minimates done of his comic, but I've wondered if it would work ina situation like this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pirates!

DSC01708.jpg

Zombies!

DSC01706.jpg

Britons!

DSC01709.jpg

Cap Varnes

DSC01715.jpg

Calico Jack

DSC01718.jpg

Dark Calico Jack

DSC01716.jpg

Zombie Calico Jack

DSC01719.jpg

Sea Spider: Searcher of the Seven Seas. He scours the oceans of the world for his elusive prey, always one step behind the greatest thief to ever set sail...

DSC01712.jpg

Black Cat the Pirate Thief!

DSC01714.jpg

Really nice customs!!! Especially Zombie jack,it reminds me of the island de Muerta scene in potc. A Guybrush Threepwood and a ghost pirate LeChuck would go well with them. And dark jack should definetely get made of this line continues. Zach,any updates?

I just can't believe this line is ending without a Mary Reed. The skeleton is a huge loss, and the British naval officers are as well. But the line is named Calico Jack and they've left out one of the 3 main characters.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I really hope they can figure out a way to get more (at least the ones shown) pirates out. Maybe the pirates could be folded into the MAX line? I know I'd like to see more things like Knights and Cowboys out of that line, and there really isn't a reason why these all couldn't be in a MAX assortment. that could be really fun. just my $.02

I didn't get the idea to do that until they were no longer around here. :confused:

That's what I don't get. I never found *any* on clearance here in SoCal. The ships were the only thing pegwarming. The 2-packs all sold through. I do believe TRU sold quite well on these. I actually did buy a few full cases worth at full retail price.

I firmly believe that this line's death was due to Pirates of the Carribean. As a combination of leftover non-selling POTC pegwarmers, and also because I feel the TRU head buyers decided that Pirates would be out-of-season after the movie passed. Did anyone else note the other generic pirate merchandise around the store that appeared around the same time as the POTC stuff? That's not coincidence.

Does that mean we may one day see another wave of Calico Jack minimates when the next high-profile POTC movie rolls around? I sure hope so. If I were working with DST, I'd definitely try to sell TRU on a new wave in that event.

• 4 weeks later...