UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

After watching the Knicks get their butt kicked by some incredible Dallas Mavericks - you probably know Dirk Nowitzki? - I went to a sportsbar to see the Jets vs. Colts game and untill I left at half time, things looked pretty good. I came home for the last quarter and, well, you know. What a shame, I'd have loved to cheer for the Jets on the Superbowl party. :sad:

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow

What a great game.

The Super Bowl has an uphill climb to be a better game than that one.

Gratz to the Saints.

and Gratz to Indy.

Holy crap, what a terrible game! :lol: (sorry to disagree Miry, but with the sloppiness and both teams unable to handle the pressure towards the end. . .damn).

I gained a few gray hairs with that one, no doubt. I hope Brees plays a little better against Indy, though. Damn, I've got such a headache from that game.

Hey, I ain't sayin' it was a pretty game. It was ugly down the stretch, and it was at times a contest to see who wanted to lose the game more.

But unlike every other playoff game this season, it was close game, and entertaining to watch. For a guy with no horse in that particular race, I couldn't have asked for more.

Holy crap, what a terrible game! :lol: (sorry to disagree Miry, but with the sloppiness and both teams unable to handle the pressure towards the end. . .damn).

I gained a few gray hairs with that one, no doubt. I hope Brees plays a little better against Indy, though. Damn, I've got such a headache from that game.

It was sloppy but damn was it exciting. Kind of a shame that what maybe Brett Favre's last NFL pass was an interception. I get why the Pro Bowl was moved but is it really wise to put player from teams that are going to the Super Bowl against players on teams that were eliminated from the playoffs by the aforementioned teams? Grudge anyone? Go Saints.

Edited by minimadman

Super Bowl players only suit up but do not play is what I have heard. Also, I am happy to see these to teams going at it, but I hope for the Saints sake that tonight (which was the only Saints game I watched this season) was a rare case of forgetting what defense is.

Favre's a has been. He had a surprisingly impressive season, but it ends as usual- throwing a pick under pressure. I think they said his last pass as a Packer was an interception against the Giants in the NFC Championship game. All the jerk had to do last night was tuck the ball and run for a few yards to give a veteran kicker (Longwell) a chance to win the game in regulation. I guess that would have been too easy.

The Super Bowl will definitely be interesting this year. Given my choices, I'll have to root for the other Manning.

...and by the way, where did "Who Dat?" come from? It sounds like a bad rip off of Cincinnati's "Who Dey?" which has hometown origins...

...and by the way, where did "Who Dat?" come from? It sounds like a bad rip off of Cincinnati's "Who Dey?" which has hometown origins...

In a nutshell, folks from in and around New Orleans don't use the "th" sound. They say "D", "T" or even "F". That's not being critical, I lose mine "th"s every large gathering of my father's side of the family. Bein' a haf-bleed cajan an' all. (Dad was born in Westwego, and raised in Desalmonds and we've still got a LOT of family down there.) The whole pharse is "Who Dat Tink Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints?" which is perfectly aceptable drunkin cajun grammer.

Dad's so tickled the "Aints" finally made it to the Super Bowl, he's talking about making a pot of gumbo for the game. Much as I'd love a bowl or three, economics may scale the plan back to some red beans an rice.

Who Dat came from a song/chant that is done at games, "Who dat say dey gon beat dem Saints?". It is using an exaggeration of the slight Cajun accent that is prevalent in the area.

Oh and GGOOOOO SSSAAAIIIINNNTTTSSSS!!!!!

So, are you and the wife watching the Super Bowl in separate rooms this year?

At the very least. I am strongly considering leaving the house. As usual during a Saints game, our poor little rat terrier was shaking violently in the corner of her room last night, as I screamed profanities at the TV, jumped up and down, etc. I was trying to organize some Minimates last night during the game, and something happened while I was doing that. Scarlet Witch proceeded to fly across the room and behind the sofa. :lol: I also tossed a T-800 to the ground in anger at one point.

As for the Who Dat chant, there is a wikipedia entry about it. I thought the Bengals may have stolen our chant, but it seems to have been the other way around. . .

As for Mirymate, small world! I grew up in a place called "Crown Point" which is in-between Marrero proper and Lafitte, about 15 minutes away from Westwego. My mom taught at Cullier Career Center (vocational school) which is right near there.

She isn't originally an American (she is from Romania), but first came to the U.S. to get her Master's degree at Indiana State. So, her first exposure to U.S. pro football is the Colts and Peyton Manning. Now, she supposedly only cares about Manning and not the Colts per se'. Saints is her second favorite. But in any case, yeah, she would return your sentiment, I'm sure :D

Scarlet Witch much have had her mojo really working last night. I don't know how else you can account for all the fumbles and the timely INT.

Edited by karamazov80

"Crown Pernt" :lol:

Yeah, my parents just retired, and moved from there to Foley, AL. We lived right down the street from the "Bayou Barn" (no relation to "Bumblebee Barn". . .I don't think). I went to school in Lafitte.

Edited by karamazov80

Uncanny. My parents (Dad & Step-Mom) built a house in Foley. Dad has since passed, but my Step-Mom lives there still. Trying to remember the name of the golf course they live on. Glen something I think...

Uncanny. My parents (Dad & Step-Mom) built a house in Foley. Dad has since passed, but my Step-Mom lives there still. Trying to remember the name of the golf course they live on. Glen something I think...

That golf course/sub-division is just down the street from where my parents moved. They also live on a street with a lot of retirees. Freaky.

• 2 weeks later...

It's time, fellas. Time for New Orleans to prove everybody wrong one more time. I found my lucky Scarlet Witch whose hex's helped us beat the Vikings. I'm gonna expect her to cause more turnovers today.

I'm actually watching the Superbowl with my girlfriend tonight (or will be as long as we can stay awake)

We arn't fans of these two teams but I do love the spectacle of the thing.

Maybe someone from the other side of the pond can explain some American TV to me. In the UK we get a few free to air TV channels. BBC channels, ITV channels, the channel 4 block and channel 5 block. There are a few others so it kinda works out at about 24 "freeview" channels in all.

Now I have no idea how American TV works the only channels I have heard of are ABC, NBC and HBO. As far as I know HBO is a subscription cable channel.

The whole reason I'm wondering is does America have say a main TV station like we have the BBC where everyone will be able to watch what is prob the biggest sporting event on your calendar for free?

(Yes I do know we have to pay a licence fee for BBC in the UK but i class it as a freeview as if you put up an ariel you can still get it no fuss they then try and charge you for it :lol: )

(no relation to "Bumblebee Barn". . .I don't think

What a ridiculous name-who'd ever be strange enough to live somewhere named that... :whistling:

So I strayed into this thread...."the small world thread" ...only to find my house-name being ridiculed :angry:

B.Bumbleheadsmate

There's always a buzz around me & my house. ;)

My soccer (?) team is Southampton & are affectionately known as the 'Saints'.....so "C'mon you Saints" :biggrin: